Chapter 8: Integrity

Sunshine and Rain

 

            “What are we doing?” Eungyo asked with a yawn after just leaving the school to meet up with Youngmin’s friends. They never answered her and continued in their little circle of conversations. Eungyo yawned again, looking around for any sight of Jangmi. Math class really had a knack for boring people.

            “Oh there they are!” Minwoo beamed, pointing to Youngmin and Jangmi who walked hand in hand from the soccer field. No one bothered to ask why they were there in the first place. When the whole gang was together, they began deciding on where to go before their big plans for tonight. It was Friday and Jangmi’s dad knew she was safe with at least one of the twins. Kwangmin exited the school that moment, hugging a stack of paper loosely held together by a paper clip.

            “Oh hey Kwangmin!” Jangmi waved from Youngmin’s side, unlocking their hands so that she could. Kwangmin waved back with barely a smile on his face. It always hurt him to see the two together. Since they were nine until now, the hurt was still the same.

            “Does Kwangmin want to come along?” Hyunseong suggested, remembering how they never spent even five minutes around Kwangmin. In all honesty they didn’t know much about him except that he was a major science nerd winning first place in the national science fair for two years and aiming for a third. If he was anything like Youngmin he should be capable of fun.

            “How about it?” Eungyo added with a smile. If Kwangmin came along maybe something could happen, though she didn’t know what. She just knew that her plan to help him get Jangmi wasn’t going too smooth.

            “Forget it. Why waste time asking him? He’s obviously too busy with his nose caught in a science book all day long.” Donghyun rudely concluded, giving Kwangmin a hateful glare. Kwangmin hated Donghyun the most out of all of Youngmin’s friends. If it weren’t for him, maybe he would’ve had a shot at being friends with Minwoo in the least, but because he’s always around Kwangmin never bothered with any of them. Kwangmin looked up to see gray clouds slowly caving in, covering the once blue sky. Was this the rain season in Korea? He took it as a bad omen and quickly refused, struggling to keep the papers under cover as he gave a slight bow goodbye to the group and jogged down the street to his house.

            “Aw dammit, it’s going to rain!” Donghyun whined, brushing strands of his red hair. He was as much of a diva as he was an intimidating jock, and he hated the rain not because it was cold but because it ruined his hair. Jangmi looked up to see the vicious rain clouds hanging low in the sky, threatening to start a shower.

            “We should probably choose a place to go fast…” Jangmi warned, doubting her decision to hang out with them today of all days. It was such a nice day in the morning no one would’ve ever guessed it would turn so dull and windy.

            “Hey, who’s hungry?” Minwoo asked, lighting the mood up with his naturally optimistic personality. Everyone put their hand up except for Donghyun, but since they took it as a democracy they decided to find a place to eat. Minwoo suggested a cozy casual restaurant just two bus stops away and everyone agreed. At the bus stop, they could feel that the wind was picking up speed. Jangmi struggled to hold her skirt down and Eungyo shivered in one spot with her hands rubbing against her arms with hopes of causing enough friction to generate even a small ounce of heat. Hyunseong was busy calling the bus stop for the bus schedules and Youngmin was digging for bus change in his backpack.

            “Cold?” Minwoo asked politely, pulling his red jacket off and placing it around Eungyo’s shoulders. She grabbed onto the jacket and smiled, trying her best to not be fooled by his kind gesture. It was a gentleman-like thing to do—it didn’t mean anything! Though Jangmi was in a skirt, she didn’t feel too cold because of her long cardigan and decorative scarf. She never planned that fashion would be keeping her warm on an unexpectedly cold day. Though winter hadn’t hit yet, it felt as if it were coming early this year.

 

~~~

            Kwangmin had finally gotten a job at a restaurant not too far from where he lived. IT was a few bus stops away but he would have no problem getting there on a daily basis. Today was his first training day so it would be quite slack. He felt nervous and proud at the same time, putting on a name tag as he grabbed some change from a jar by his door and headed out. The sky stayed threateningly gray, making him remember to grab an umbrella along the way. Checking that he had his house key, cell phone, umbrella and change, he headed out the door. The bus came almost immediately after he arrived at the stop. It felt like it was his lucky day as he stepped in, stuck the change in the box and took a seat near the front.

            The ride felt short and soon enough he found himself getting off at the stop just one block down from where he was newly employed. His manager advised him to go in through the back, so he walked to the side of the building and looked for the back door. There was an employee parking lot behind and the back door to the restaurant conveniently painted bright red for him to see. As he headed up the small plight of stairs and reached for the knob, he caught site of a guy with red hair talking to a taller, gruffly looking man with a cigarette hanging off the side of his mouth. The taller man handed the red head an envelope and went back into his car. When the red head finally turned to walk away, Kwangmin could see that it was Donghyun that just made some sort of trade with a suspicious man. Donghyun ignored Kwangmin, probably not noticing he was there as usual, and headed back into the restaurant.

            “Perhaps… drugs?” Kwangmin gasped, slapping away his thoughts. He would worry about the bad company Youngmin had after his first day of training. Kwangmin stretched out his hands and turned the door knob once to open, entering the kitchen as the sweet smell of Korean cuisine hit his nose all at once.

~~~

            The crew sat at a large table, waiting for their food that they had already ordered. Jangmi sat beside Youngmin and Eungyo across from Hyunseong while Minwoo sat on the other side of Eungyo. Donghyun said he was going for a bathroom break and when he finally came back to the table, a few backs stiffened and Eungyo coughed loudly, turning away. It was his conceited presence that brought uneasiness into the air. In a hushed whisper, Donghyun announced,

            “I got the IDs,” as he pulled out the envelope from his jacket pocket and opened it, dumping out seven fake ID cards onto the table. Hyunseong handed everyone their respective fake IDs and smiled, checking out his picture.

            “Not half bad; this actually looks pretty legit.” Hyunseong complimented, holding it up against the light.

            “As legit as it looks, if cops were to check us we’d be screwed so let’s play it low, alright?” Donghyun warned, shoving the fake ID into his wallet. Jangmi and Eungyo both took their and stared at it, having no idea what was coming.

            “What are these for?” Jangmi asked stupidly, having a bad feeling about whatever they were planning. Why did Donghyun bring up the police? She had no intentions of doing anything illegal, and she was sure Eungyo didn’t either.

            “Don’t worry about it, Jangmi.” Youngmin reassured, placing a comforting hand on top of hers that held the ID card. He gave her a smile and she immediately fell for his charms, not asking anymore questions.

            “She’s going to find out eventually so you might as well just tell her now. It’s not like we have anything better to do.” Donghyun snorted, crossing his arms. Youngmin thought about it for a second and nodded. She would find out anyways, so he should just tell her.

            “Tonight we’re going to sneak into a club.” He whispered loud enough for Eungyo and Jangmi to hear.

           “What the hell?!” Eungyo said in a loud voice, gathering the attention of every customer in the dining room.

            “Yo, could you be any louder? Shut the hell up.” Donghyun scolded, reaching his hand across the table to cover . She quickly slapped it away, her eyes throwing daggers at him.

            “I should’ve realized why you guys always gave off a bad vibe. You can do what you want, but Jangmi and I are not going to be in on this.” Eungyo declared, grabbing Jangmi harshly by the wrist and pulling her up from their sitting position. Jangmi on the other hand was hesitant to follow.

            “Tch, I knew you two were pansies. Fine, don’t come along. We don’t give a crap.” Donghyun shot back, slamming his hand on the table. The tension was rising but none of the waiters were willing to interfere. Eungyo turned away, still holding onto Jangmi’s wrist but Jangmi was trying to pull away.

            “Jangmi, let’s go.” Eungyo mouthed, nudging her chin towards the door. Why wasn’t Jangmi following? Youngmin had grabbed onto Jangmi’s left hand, keeping her locked in place. Eungyo didn’t want this to become a human tug of war game so she let go with a sigh.

            “Just because you’re her boyfriend doesn’t mean you’re her dictator. Let her choose what she wants to do.” Eungyo rolled her eyes, folding her arms as she shot Youngmin an annoyed glare. They weren’t kids anymore, he should know better than to be so childish.

            “Fine,” He let go of Jangmi’s wrist and looked her in the eyes with a mesmerizing smile, “Are you going to leave with her or stay here with me?”

~~~

            “You’re done all the basic tutorials and will start work tomorrow evening. You’re still required to stay here for two more hours but you can choose what you want to help out with.” Kwangmin’s new co-worker informed, fixing the bow on his apron as he left Kwangmin for the storage room. Kwangmin hadn’t been to the dining room yet but he had heard from several waiters about the ruckus going on. Curious, he slid the door separating the kitchen from the dining room a tad bit and saw Donghyun standing stiff with his bright red hair and Eungyo, her balance slightly leaning backwards with a displeased expression. Youngmin let go of Jangmi’s wrist and smiled at her.

            “Are you going to leave with her or stay here with me?” Youngmin asked in her sweet boy tone. Kwangmin had never seen a girl deny that tone of voice before, especially from Youngmin. He had a strange way with women that made all his past girlfriends seem more like puppets than people, but now that it was Jangmi’s turn, he felt furious.

            “Just let her go, Youngmin. There’s no way a good girl like her will agree to slip into a club illegally with us, especially now that her best friend is throwing a hissy fit.” Donghyun tried to convince Youngmin but was ignored. Kwangmin gasped, covering his mouth with both hands. What did Donghyun just say they were going to do? He knew Youngmin’s friends were bad but breaking the law was low on a whole different level. The envelope he saw Donghyun receive from the mysterious man laid ripped open on their table and Eungyo’s fake ID was resting on top.

            “Jangmi, this is a bad idea! I don’t care how enchanted you are by that blond devil—you can’t do this!” Eungyo was now begging; worried for Jangmi. How could she be so stupid at a time like this? The right answer was under her nose, the right decision obvious to anyone but her right now.

            “I…” Jangmi muttered, but she herself didn’t know who to choose. Why did it have to become like this?

            “Ah, Kwangmin!” Minwoo coughed, causing everyone’s eyes to turn to Kwangmin who was standing in between the door to the kitchen. His eyes were wide open in confusion and horror.

            “Ignore him.” Youngmin ordered, the authority in his voice stung everyone’s ears and they obeyed immediately, turning back to Jangmi. One last time he asked,

            “What will you do, Kim Jangmi?” It felt as if he were putting their relationship on the line. She never wished to make a decision like this.

            “Jangmi,” Kwangmin interrupted her complex thoughts with his soothing, calm but soft voice, “Don’t do it.” Kwangmin had never told her to do anything in her life. No matter what side she chose Kwangmin had always been on her side and she grew so accustomed to it that she began taking his sincerity for granted. Now that he finally made a request, she couldn’t ignore it.

            “Forget it. Do what you want; we’re leaving now.” Youngmin’s mouth curved into a frown, knowing that Kwangmin’s appearance made her decision ten times more difficult. He didn’t want to waste time with her right now, so he stood up and expected everyone to just follow him. Donghyun was right behind him, always being the star supporter to whatever rebellious activity they did and Hyunseong followed obediently more like a dog.

            “Wait guys,” Minwoo called out, not moving an inch from the table. The three of them turned to give Minwoo their attention. Swiftly, he pulled the fake ID from his pocket and threw it at Donghyun’s face.

            “Count me out.” He said in a stern voice, pushing past the three from the door and heading down on his own path. This was the first time Minwoo ever disagreed with their decisions—the first time he ever disrespected Youngmin. Youngmin ignored Minwoo’s harsh shove and turned to look at Jangmi, seeing intricate tears roll down her small face. She was looking straight at him, cheeks red and eyes swollen. Sitting there by herself, the only word he could think of to describe her was pathetic. Keeping his expression careless he turned and left in the opposite direction that Minwoo had gone. His entourage of two obediently followed.

A/N: Okay to make up for my crappy update earlier, I hope that this chapter was much more appealing to everyone ^^! I had much fun writing this and I'm pretty happy with it so I hope you all have fun reading. It's a good thing to hate Youngmin in this story as he is the antagonist. Actually, I kind of hate Donghyun more :x! Either way, MINWOO FOR THE WIN.