Chapter 10: Left Alone

Sunshine and Rain

 

Youngmin and Jangmi met up outside the amusement park. He had promised her a fairly romantic date with just the two of them for the whole day; it was almost as if the day before had never happened. They went on many rides and laughed together, but somehow it only felt like Jangmi was having fun. Youngmin was there, he was laughing and smiling, but it didn’t seem happy. After a crazy roller coaster ride they decided on taking a break and took a seat at a picnic bench near the concession.

                “I’m going to go to the washroom. I’ll be right back.” Youngmin advised, waving her goodbye before he got up and headed for the restrooms. When he was too far into the crowd to be seen, she turned back to watch the terrified faces of people going upside down on the fireball.

                “Oh? Jangmi, you’re here?” Minwoo called from a short distance away. He had on a name tag labeled “Dip n’ dots” so she assumed it his part time job.

                “Yeah, I came here with Youngmin.” She smiled, sweeping her bangs back to one side with her hand. He nodded with acknowledgement, wondering how she was so quick to forgive him. Minwoo had a feeling he would pull a jerk move again, but his break was ending so he had to go.

                “Have fun, I’ll see you around later.” He called, rushing back to his ice cream station. She smiled as she waved, obliviously sitting alone at the bench waiting for Youngmin to come back. After thirsty minutes of waiting, she began to wonder whether or not he would.

~~~

                “Youngmin Oppa! Surprise!” An annoying voice beamed the moment Youngmin exited the men’s washroom. He was so startled he nearly tripped down the stairs.

                “Oh my god, did you stalk me here?” He asked; irritated. Hyewon winked at him and shook her head.

                “I saw Minwoo around so I figured you would be two. Seriously, sometimes I’d rather you date Minwoo than that y Jangmi girl.” Hyewon rambled, immediately clinging onto Youngmin’s arms. He tried to shake her away but gave up. Though he hadn’t planned to ditch Jangmi at the amusement park today, he had a feeling that maybe ditching her would be a good idea. It just that Hyewon had to be involved.

                “Minwoo is here?” Youngmin asked, hoping that if he found him he would be saved. Hyewon was a lot more impulsive when Youngmin was alone; the least she could do was tell him where Minwoo was.

                “Win me a teddy bear and I’ll tell you.” She blackmailed with a smirk, pointing to a game with stuff bears hanging from the racks.

                “Are you serious?” He complained, annoyed at how childish Hyewon was. They were high school seniors; why couldn’t she just act like one?

                “Please oppa,” Hyewon begged with puppy eyes, pulling Youngmin towards the carnival game involuntarily.

~~~

                “Here you go, enjoy!” Minwoo smiled, handing a young boy a cup of banana split Dip N’ Dots. The line up finally died down and he was relieved that he could take a breather. Though his stand sold ice cream, he couldn’t stop the fact that he was sweating an ocean in his apron and visor. It was an embarrassing trait that he had—sweating. He took a stack of napkins from under the counter and began fanning himself, looking out to see little kids playing tag around their parents, two couples holding hands as they waited in line for the ‘Drop of Doom’. His eyes panned to the right, stopping at a popular water shooting game when he spotted someone he could never mistake—Youngmin. It wasn;t the fact that he was there that shocked him, it was the reality that Jangmi wasn’t the one beside him cheering him on, but Hyewon instead. The obnoxious gossip queen of Namnyeo high school was jumping happily beside Youngmin as he grabbed the blue fuzzy bear off the counter and handed it to her. She nearly tackled him with a hug and surprisingly, his arms rose to return the embrace.

                “What the…” Minwoo mumbled, angry that even though he knew Youngmin was capable of doing something low he would stoop down to that level just to hurt Jangmi. Ignoring the middle aged woman on the other side of the counter, he slapped one of his sleeping coworkers awake and threw him the apron, ripping his visor off and tossing it onto the ground. He was storming towards the two, fists clenched and teeth gritting as Hyewon pointed towards him.

                “There he is,” She announced nervously. Not many people have ever seen Minwoo mad before. He held the reputation of being one of the kinder gentlemen of Youngmin’s group, but now that he was fuming in front of them she was terrified.

                “Where’s Jangmi?” Minwoo asked straight up, ignoring Hyewon’s presence completely.

                “What do you mean?” Youngmin asked, trying to play stupid. Surely Minwoo has no proof that he came here with Jangmi to begin with. The two of them hadn’t left on good terms that Friday night in the first place, so starting conflict right now would only lead to more tension. Evidently enough, Minwoo didn’t care.

                “Seriously Youngmin, who the hell do you think you are?” Minwoo demanded, taking another step closer as he took a step back.

                “Yo seriously, chill. What is up with you?” Youngmin was belittling the situation as he looked Minwoo right in the eyes. He’s never opposed Youngmin before, and with this being a first, no one kenw what would happen.

                “You’re really pathetic, you know?” Minwoo continued, pushing Hyewon away when she tried to interfere. She was the one that was out of place.

                “What happened between you and Jangmi, I heard it all. To be honest you’re just over exaggerating the situation to make her seem like such the antagonist when she doesn’t deserve to be treated like crap at all.” He accused, causing Youngmin to grow angry. This was a fight between best friends that Hyewon never wanted to see.

                “You don’t know anything.” Youngmin denied, shoving Minwoo back a little. Even if Youngmin was ready to start a fist fight Minwoo knew that this just wasn’t worth it.

                “You know what?” Minwoo began, pulling Hyewon beside Youngmin so that their shoulders touched, “You two really look good together. Trash should date trash. Have a happy life.” Hyewon was outraged having been insulted by Minwoo. It wasn’t the first time she’s been called trash, but hearing it from him just made things seem much worse. After Minwoo walked away, Youngmin pushed her away and warned before leaving her,

                “Stay away from me.”

~~~

                Minwoo made his way back to the picnic bench where he knew Jangmi would still be waiting and sure enough, she was there slightly dozing off with her cell phone in her hand. This girl’s stupidity would get her in a lot of trouble one day. He made sure that she wouldn’t be able to see him from where he was and pulled out his own cell phone, dialing Kwangmin’s number in the shadows of secrecy behind a large sound pillar.

                “Yeoboseyo?” Kwangmin answered almost immediately. His side of the line was pure silence so he was probably in the school library on a Saturday or his room.

                “Kwangmin,” Minwoo informed, “Come to the amusement part by the west extrance and pick up Jangmi would you?” Kwangmin recognized his voice immediately and suspected a trap. Minwoo had been loyal to Youngmin since freshmen year and it was during that time that the twins started getting on bad terms with each other. He wanted nothing to do with Youngmin’s friends, so why was Minwoo calling now?

                “I’m studying.” Kwangmin answered ready to hang up when Minwoo pleaded,

                “You’re always studying! An hour of break won’t kill you. Jangmi really needs you right now.” And with that, Minwoo hung up. Surely, Kwangmin would come. He poked his head from behind the pillar and saw that Jangmi was now on the phone. The crowd died down because of a dog show held at the grand stadium so he could hear her from where he was.

                “Mm, Eungyo,” She spoke casually into her cell phone, “I came with Youngmin but I think he ditched me.” It was painful to hear her say these sad words so effortlessly, as if it was a regular thing that she was used to. How much would it take for Jangmi to finally realize what a jerk Youngmin was? At this point, Minwoo couldn’t even see Youngmin as a human. Who on Earth would have the heart to treat their first love like this? Though Minwoo never fell for anyone before, he knew it was wrong.

                “It’s okay, you don’t have to come. I’ll leave in a bit. Okay,” She nodded before hanging up with a sigh. She stuck her cell phone back into her purse and made a quick scan around, noticing the crowds shrinking with every passing minute. It’s been almost an hour; she couldn’t still have hope that he’d come back for her, could she?

                “Jangmi!” Kwangmin gasped, running through the west gate towards her. Minwoo let out a sigh of relief and walked back to his ice cream stand where he was sure he would get a lot of heck for ditching his evening shift. Jangmi immediately stood up, surprised but somehow relieved.

                “Why are you alone?” He asked, sure that no girl would come to a place like this by herself. Jangmi had always been a people person and hated being alone so the only logical reason would be that Youngmin left her. She didn’t have to say it for him to know.

                “Thanks for coming for me.” Jangmi smiled, tears starting to well up in her eyes. She never questioned how he knew to come or why, she was just thankful he was there like he always was. She seldom cried in front of Youngmin because she hated showing him how weak she was, but for some reason in front of Kwangmin she didn’t care. She would cry her heart out for hours and Kwangmin would still treat her the same. That was what she liked about him, and she was glad that at least that stayed the same.

A/N: Yay 2 updates in a day! Minwoo is awesome (: Jangmi is by far the dumbest, most naive character I've ever created. Maybe this taught me to never make fictional characters ever again hahaha.