Chapter 6: Love Calculation

Sunshine and Rain

 

                The newest couple of Namnyeo high school arrived early at school next Tuesday morning and headed straight to the dance room where they met up with Youngmin’s friends who were already there.

                “Who’s she?” Donghyun asked rudely, pushing past everyone to greet Youngmin at the door entrance. Casually, Youngmin replied,

                “My girlfriend, Kim Jangm,” She gave them each a nod and smiled her typical smile, still intimidated by Donghyun’s sketchy appearance. He checked her out from head to toe and then gave her a smile of approval.

                “She’s the new girl from yesterday, right?” He asked for confirmation. Youngmin nodded, keeping his arm wrapped tightly around her shoulders in a possessive fashion.

                “Oh? You look prettier today.” Minwoo pointed out as he walked over in a hand stand. Hyunseong pushed him over with brute force, causing him to land on his stomach.

                “Pyeontae,” Hyunseong chuckled accusingly at Minwoo who was rubbing his head.

                “How am I a pyeontae?” Minwoo questioned annoyingly, jumping on Hyunseong’s back for revenge. They fought with each other like bickering kids, reminding her much of how the twins treated each other when they weren’t in public.

                “She’s wearing a skirt and you come and greet her in a hand stand. Are you trying to look up her skirt?” Hyunseong explained shamelessly, pressing a button on the CD player to dismiss the awkward silences. Minwoo stood up, his face slightly tinted pink as he realized his foolish mistake.

                “I didn’t mean to…” He mumbled embarrassed. Donghyun joined Hyunseong in the laughter as Youngmin left Jangmi’s side to the middle of their dance floor. With one clap, he drew everyone’s attention and they all took their positions around him. Jangmi didn’t take long to understand why Youngmin was the defined leader. She sat on a wooden bench beside the CD player, watching them closely with her eyes glued to Youngmin. He had a sort of stage charisma that drew in attention despite how equally talented the other members were, and she was certain it wasn’t just due to how she felt about him. Their moves were sharp and well rehearsed. During Minwoo’s dance solo he was even bold enough to give Jangmi a wink which she returned with a wave.

                “Yo have you heard? Youngmin found a new girlfriend.” The voice of an anonymous student caught Jangmi’s attention outside the dance room. Her ears perked to eavesdrop further.

                “I heard the lucky girl was Hyewon.” A female voice answered. They were probably just hanging out outside the dance room.

                “There’s no way she’s Hyewon. Didn’t you see how he rejected her in front of everyone not too long ago?” The male voice disagreed. Jangmi couldn’t hear the rest of the conversation when the music got louder at the of their choreography. She diverted her attention back to the group of dancers, smiling widely as they wrapped up their short performance for her.

                “What did you think?” Youngmin walked back to Jangmi’s side slightly out of breath but with a proud grin on his face. She gave him a ‘thumbs up’ and he kissed her gently on the forehead.

 

                Kwangmin took his time walking to school with his heavy backpack dragging him down almost as much as his degraded spirit. Even though he knew this to be true his whole life, he never knew it would hurt so much when they finally got together. Jangmi loves Youngmin. That was a fact he couldn’t interfere with, especially not with a personality like his. There was no way he could win her over from a guy who was good at everything that didn’t involve academics. The clouds were gray once again and Kwangmin was determined to get to school before the rain attacked him again. Now running awkwardly with his backpack weighing him down to one side, he grapped onto both straps and charged forward towards the gates.

                “Look there’s Youngmin!” A crowd of girls shouted, pointing towards Youngmin and Jangmi up at the rooftops of the school. No one questioned how they got up there; they were just curious to get a grasp of a hot gossip topic. Kwangmin looked up to see the two holding hands, shamelessly expressing their public displays of affection for the world to see. It was slightly disgusting in his eyes, not to mention painful for him to see. Immediately he looked away and entered the school, heading straight for the science department where he anxiously wished to be stuck in his getaway of various experiments involving the use of pH indicators and samples from different areas of the Han River.

                “Hey Kwangmin,” Eungyo waved from across the lab room. He knew it was her immediately from her bright red hair. They both had chemistry first period on Tuesdays, but he never noticed her before. In fact, he never paid attention to anyone in any of his classes because he was a loner. Eungyo rushed towards his lab table, bringing over her equipment and lab sheet and automatically listing them as lab partners.

                “Have you seen Jangmi this morning?” She asked curiously, pumping Methyl Orange into a separated sample of water.She looked up to catch a glimpse of KWangmin’s nodding, but he never bothered to speak. His eyes were locked on recording the results of their first experiment. The Methyl Orange did not change colors.

                “Well, where did you see her?” She continued, asking a question that shouldn’t have been needed.

                “On the roof with Youngmin,” He answered immediately in his quiet and shy voice. He took another dropper from the cabinet and pumped Bromythyl Blue into it.

                “With Youngmin?” Eungyo asked skeptically as she remembered how Jangmi was dragged away by Youngmin yesterday. Did they seriously have something going on? She wasn’t worried that Youngmin would bully her; she was worried that Youngmin would play her like he did with so many girls the year before. It’s been almost half a year since he last had a girlfriend and people rumored that he gave up on his player life, but it seems like he couldn’t have stayed away from it for too long.

                “Are they together?” Eungyo assumed, requesting confirmation from Kwangmin who ignored her question. He mixed the solution with a stirring stick and then grabbed his pencil. Eungyo rolled her eyes, pulling his lab sheet away so that he had to halt the experiment.

                “Are they dating?” She asked again, expecting an answer. She had no intentions of returning his sheet before he replied. Kwangmin stared back at her frustrated. This was something he didn’t want on his mind, especially not when he was enjoying himself with the Chemistry lab. In defeat, he nodded and Eungyo immediately returned his lab paper.

                “You don’t seem too happy about it.” She observed, wondering if his blank expression was a usual thing. He really was a man of few words, so the whole loner thing wasn’t too hard to understand for her. Without giving eye contact he muttered,

                “I’m not.” Eungyo’s sharp ears heard his two worded response.

                “Can I ask why?” She wondered in a hushed voice. Everyone else in their class was too busy focusing on their assignment to care even the least about their conversation. The moment she asked, Kwangmin spilt a few droplets of Phenolphthalein on the back of his hands. It was rare for him to make a mistake unless something was bothering him, and Eungyo could assume that to be true from his workaholic behavior. They quickly washed it off as if it were an emergency before it could burn and when the ‘accident’ was over, Eungyo eyed him with suspicion.

                “Why are you not okay with them being together?”  She asked again. It was annoying how she found herself repeating the same questions for him constantly, but she wanted to know the answers. Putting the dropper down Kwangmin sighed his first vocal confession,

                “I like Jangmi,”

                Those three words echoed in Eungyo’s ears as she felt the sincerity behind his words. His eyes were filled with the pain of seeing the girl he loved the most with another guy, but not just any guy. It had to be his twin brother. Competition between twins was always known to be the most immense, and to know that he lost without even a fight was embarrassing on his part. After three seconds of eye contact, Kwangmin’s head dropped down to hide his embarrassing expression. He wasn’t sure why he just told Eungyo something he himself couldn’t even vocalize. They hadn’t known each other for very long, but he hoped that telling her wouldn’t be a grave mistake.

                “You know what, Kwangmin?” Eungyo beams as if a light bulb lit up over her head. He stared back at her, confused as she slowly shook his head.

                “I like you much better than that jerk of a player, Jo Youngmin so I’m going to help you get Jangmi.” She winked, grabbing the dropper from the table and pulling a bottle of distilled water from across the lab counter to clean it off. Kwangmin had no confidence in her words. He considered the possibilities more often than anyone would imagine and in his calculations, there was nothing about him that would draw any girl, let alone Kim Jangmi who loved Youngmin all her life towards him. The one thing Eungyo wanted to stress was that relationships and love didn’t work like mathematical calculations. The unpredictability is what makes her self-appointed mission so exciting. 

A/N: Sorry for letting my inner chemistry nerd side come out. I think I'm school deprives now that I'm so deep into summer. This kind of seems like a filler chapter... Sorry for the boringness haha.