Where are you!

Undisclosed Union

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

It was a few days after I went to Nichkhun’s office. There was no work today, so Nichkhun and I went to a shopping district to buy ingredients for dinner.

“What are you going to make tonight, Pouty?”

“Me?”

“I don’t mind making dinner, but I’d like to eat something that my lovely wife made, too.”

“My lovely wife…”

“So when an opportunity arises and peoples asks, I can tell, ‘My wife made such-and-such last night. I want to eat something or my act won’t be realistic.”

“You want to go for reality, I see.”

“That’s right. You’re finally getting it. My colleagues teased me after you left. They said, “Aw, you’re cute together’!”

“The ones who were surrounding you?”

“They believed you’re my wife, our plan worked!”

Nichkhun laughed lightheartedly. I remembered the girl named Krystal.

“I don’t believe you’re married!”

What did she mean by that? I can tell she likes Nichkhun, but to say, ‘I don’t believe you’re married’ did she say that out of jealousy, or did she know something more? As thoughts swirled around my mind, Nichkhun looked into my eyes.

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Huh?”

“Are you daydreaming? Did you decide what you’re going to make tonight?”

“How about Korean-style Salisbury steak?”

“Perfect. I love Korean-style food. You’re starting to understand my tastes.”

“It’s not hard once you live with someone.”

“Ha! You’re being cocky. We’ve only lived together for a week.”

That’s right. But I feel much more relaxed than the first day we met. It makes a big difference living in the same space as someone…

“Have you lived with anyone before?” Nichkhun stopped my thoughts as he asked me.

“No. how about you, Nichkhun?”

“I had someone force herself here. But I kicked her out because she was getting annoying.”

“Annoying, huh?”

“Time you spend at home is important. You don’t want others to disrupt your lifestyle.”

“It’s okay for me to disrupt your lifestyle?”

“Huh?”

“I’ve taken your bed. I’m totally disrupting your lifestyle, Khun.”

“Oh, yeah…”

“You just noticed?”

“I used to find other women annoying, but not so much with you. I wonder why?”

“Does that mean you don’t think of me as a woman?”

“Oh, maybe.”

“You’re supposed to deny it! I was kidding!”

“Don’t pout like that. It’s not making you any cuter.”

“Hey…”

“You’re different from other women… ‘cause you’re my toy!”

Nichkhun tugged my cheeks.

“Your cheeks are so soft.”

You’re tugging it too hard!”

Nichkhun and I playfully poked at each other. Right then, Uncle Taec came walking towards us with grocery bags.

“Hey, you two.”

“Taec.”

“Are you two going shopping? They just had hourly specials at the supermarket!”

“Did you just come back from shopping, Uncle?”

“Yeah, I bought some things for the bar.”

“You’re gonna make something, Taec?” Nichkhun asked.

“No. I wanted to have things ready when you come over, Khun.”

“Why do I have to cook!?”

“Who makes the food at home? Do you make it, Nichkhun?”

“She’s making dinner tonight. Korean-style Salisbury steak is on the menu.”

“You can make that, Victoria? You’d make a great wife.”

Uncle crossed his arms and looked at Nichkhun and me approvingly.

“But you two seem like a real married couple. Like you’re getting the hang of it.”

“Oh, gosh! There’s no way we’re married… “ I said shyly.

“Shhh!”

“Muffle..”

Nichkhun covered my mouth with his hands.  He put his forehead on mine and glared into my eyes.

“Don’t say that out loud! What if someone hears us!?”

His face is really close… I blushed with his nose almost brushing against mine. I squirmed because I couldn’t breathe, and Nichkhun finally took his hands off of my mouth.

“Pwah!”

“Geez, I can’t believe you…”

“You two do get along.” Uncle exclaimed after seeing our little argument.  “I’m glad it’s working out for you two. Come by the bar anytime, alright?”

Uncle waved goodbye and walked away into the crowd.

“What is Taec talking about? How are we getting along?” Nichkhun asked me as we continue walking.

“I dunno...”

“Anyway, you never know who might be your enemy. Don’t let your guard down.”

Nichkhun warned me again. We walked side-by-side towards the supermarket.

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“We got ground beef and onions…” I said as I look at the things that were already in our basket.

“I hope you’re not forgetting anything.”

“Oh, I forgot something important.”

“What?”

“Chili lotus root. I wonder if they sell it here?”

“Why would you need chili lotus root for Salisbury steak?”

“It’s a snack for soju! Isn’t that common knowledge?”

“You’re really like an old man.”

“No more than you.”

Other customers at the store giggled at our bickering. They seem to find our conversation funny.

“I don’t want to line up again. Go get it, Pouty.”

“Okay. Can you wait for me here?”

“Yeah, I’ll watch our stuff.”

“Then I’ll go run and get it.”

I ran towards the fresh appetizer section.

------

 

“Chili lotus root… where is it? Oh, here it is.”

 I found the chili lotus root in the fresh appetizer section. Then a man shopping in the same area started to talk to me.

“Oh, you are…”

“Pardon me?”

“You helped me fix my bicycle the other day.”

“Oh yeah.”

It was the man I met on the way to see Nichkhun.

“Thank you for your help. I apologize for not being able to thank you properly. ”

“It was nothing.”

“I didn’t think I would meet you again. Do you live nearyby?”

“Yes, I just moved here.”

“I live and work in this area, so maybe we might bump into each other again.”

“I hope so.”

“It seems like we were destined to meet. Hope to see you again.”

The man bowed courteously and left.  He’s wearing a suit again. I wonder if he’s an executive at a company. Now I know one of the neighbors. He was the first person I’d met other that Uncle’s friends at the bar. Feeling upbeat, I headed back to where Nichkhun was waiting for me.

----

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting, Nichkhun.”

“There you are.”

I returned to the cashier and called out to Nichkhun. He was carrying several grocery bags as he waited for me.

“Why are you grinning like that? Did you find your chili lotus roots?”

“I did. But I also met someone.”

“Someone?”

“When I was on my way to your office…”

BUZZZZ!

“Sorry, I got a call.”

Nichkhun answered his cell phone.

“Hello? Oh, it’s you, Taec.”

It was Uncle calling on the phone.

“Junho’s at the bar? Then we can stop by. We just finished shopping.”

Nichkhun continued to talk. Since I had nothing else to do, I started to wander around the aisles nearby. This supermarket is really big, I could get lost here. Oh, there’s salty snacks over there.

“Can you give me a second, Pouty?”

“Sure. I’ll look around.”

“Oh, Taec? Yeah, we can both go. Did you want us to bring anything?”

It looked like Nichkhun was going to be on the phone longer so I went to look at the snack isle.

-----

 

“Wow! Supermarkets in Seoul have a lot of variety! What should I buy?”

I was browsing through the items when someone spoke to me from behind.

“Hey there.”

“Yes?”

I turned around and a bleached-blonde guy was standing in front of me.  The guy grinned widely as he approached me.

“Are you alone? If you have nothing to do, wanna go out for a drink?”

“Oh, I’m here with someone.”

“Don’t lie. You were wandering around by yourself. C’mon, let’s go!”

“Hey!”

The guy tried to grab my arm, but right at that moment someone grabbed my shoulder from behind.

“Hey.”

“Nichkhun!”

Nichkhun pulled me close to him. He pushed me behind him and stood in front of the guy.

“You’re talking to the wrong woman.”

“What do you mean?”

“She isn’t the type you think she is. She moves around when she sleeps. She eats a lot. And…”

“Hey Nichkhun what are you saying?”

“Her preferred drink is soju on the rocks. So it’s impossible to get her drunk. You’ll go down before she does.”

“How mean! You didn’t have to say that! You idiot!” Why is this guy telling this to a stranger?

“Huh? It’s the truth?”

“It’s not all true! You’re wrong!”

“What part did I get wrong? Tell me?”

“I don’t always drink soju on the rocks. Sometimes I drink it straight up!”

“That’s even worse!”

I argued with Nichkhun. We ignored the blonde guy who just stood there with his mouth open. Nichkhun glared at the guy.

“Anyway, I’m the only one who can deal with her. Sorry, buddy.”

“……”

“Let’s go Victoria.”

Nichkhun called me by my first name. He doesn’t use my name unless we’re pretending to be married. He generally called me “Pouty” when we were by ourselves, but this time he used my name. Maybe he did it unconsciously. Or is it because it’s in front of another guy?

“What are you standing there for? Hurry up. I’m gonna leave you behind.”

“Oh, sorry…”

Nichkhun walked briskly ahead of me. I jogged a little to catch up to him.

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Nichkhun and I arrived at Uncle’s bar. Right when we were about to enter, Nichkhun’s cell phone vibrated and he looked at the caller id.

“Who’s this? I don’t know this number.”

“Do you want me to wait inside?”

“No, it’ll be quick. Wait for me.”

“Hello?”

Nichkhun answered the phone. After a few seconds, Nichkhun’s face turned serious.

“The police?”

Huh? The police? Why would the police contact Nichkhun?

“I see. Yes, she is one of our interns.”

Nichkhun’s face was very stern. He looked very serious as he hung up the phone.

“Is something wrong?”

“One of the interns was d.”

“What!?”

“They can’t get in touch with any of her relatives or friends. So they’re asking me to go pick her up.”

“Please go right now!”

“Sorry. Can you head home without me?”

Nichkhun handed me the grocery bags and ran off towards the street we came from. I can’t believe someone got d! If I were there, I would have kicked his ! Just thinking about it made my blood boil. I didn’t think I could calm down even if I headed home, so I decided to hang out at Uncle’s bar to cool my head first.

-------

 

“Oh, I’m so upset!”

“There’s Victoria!” Junho greeted me with his usual grin.

“Well, it’s my lucky day.” Chansung said smiling at me.

Junho and Chansung were already at the bar. From the other side of the counter, Uncle Taec looked at me with surprise.

“You’re by yourself? Where’s Nichkhun?”

“Well…”

I told everyone about the phone call he got earlier.

“That’s terrible!” Junho exclaimed.

“I can’t believe men would do that kind of thing!”

“I’m surprised they contacted Nichkhun first.” Chansung said flatly.

“I heard they couldn’t get in touch with her parents.”

“That intern didn’t know the number of anyone else but knew Nichkhun’s cell phone number?”

“I guess so.”

“I heard Nichkhun’s pretty popular with the ladies at the company. He’s known to be serious about his work and a nice boss.” Junho spoke.

“That’s hard to imagine. He has such a foul mouth.” Chansung replied.

“He’s a great boss, though. He’s great at explaining things. And follows up with his employees. “ Uncle Taec said to me.

Nichkhun is moody and talks in a mean way to me. But he’s really serious about his work. I felt happy learning a new side of him. Chansung saw my face brighten up and furrowed his brows.

“You look happy, Victoria.”

“Really?”

“Are you happy to hear us praising Nichkhun?”

“Of course I’m happy!”

“It’s hard to tease you when you’re so honest like that.”

“I have to live with him. I wouldn’t want to live with someone I don’t like.”

“That’s true.” Junho said smiling.

“But her eyes are sparkling. I’m getting jealous.”

“He doesn’t have any ulterior motives behind his kindness. I’m sure others can sense that too.” Uncle Taec said.

“You make it sound like I have ulterior motives.” Said Chansung.

“You do.” Hehe said Junho.

“His mom was a nice lady, too. I’m sure she influenced him a lot.”

“I heard from Nichkhun that his mother passed away two years ago.”

Nichkhun was depressed. I’m sure everyone gets depressed when their mother dies. But it was more than we expected.”

“He nearly was in shock.”

I kept silent while hearing all this new information about Nichkhun.

“Um..” I trailed.

“Yeah?”

“I don’t know if I should bring this up, but what about Nichkhun’s father?”

“Oh, well you know. His father is a different issue... You know how fathers are about their sons. They want them just to be like they are. Always pushing and doing this and that…” Uncle Taec said.

 “But Khun respects his father a lot… ”

“He doesn’t seem to want to talk about his father actually…” Junho added.

“I wonder how he’s father like? Would Nichkhun tell me about his father?”

Uncle didn’t answer immediately he was serious as he looked at me.

“I think one day he’ll tell you himself Victoria. You think you can wait for that?”

“I understand.”

It appeared that uncle knew something. Junho and Chansung didn’t inquire any further. There must be a reason. I wondered what happened between Nichkhun and his father.

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“I’m home.”

I left Uncle’s bar and arrived home. Nichkhun didn’t get in touch with me. And he wasn’t home either. Maybe it’s taking him longer to do all the paperwork. I’ll make dinner and wait for him.

---

“Nichkhun’s not home yet.”

I glanced at the clock on the kitchen wall. It was already 10 P.M. dinner was ready and all I needed to do was to cook Salisbury steak.

GROWL.

“Oh.”

My stomach had been growling loudly. I hadn’t eaten anything since lunch, so I was hungry. I don’t know what time he’ll be home. Should I just eat first? But he’s been looking forward to it, I want to eat with him. I decided to endure my hunger a little longer and waited for him.

---

“Sigh. He’s not back yet. I wonder what he’s doing?”

The time was 11 P.M. Nichkhun hadn’t come home yet. I wonder if something happened? I’m getting worried. I was about to call Nichkhun’s cell phone when…

RING…! RING…!

“Oh.”

The house phone rang. If it was Nichkhun, he would call my cell phone. Who would call at this hour? I had a sudden surge of fear. The phone kept ringing. Ten…  Twenty times. Who could it be? I thought for a moment, and decided to pick up the phone with my hands shaking. 

 

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys had a great weekend :)))) I sure did ♥ ♥ ☺☺