Oh Uncle!

Undisclosed Union

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

“So this is Seoul.”

With my luggage in hand, I stepped off the train. There were skyscrapers and throngs of people around. My first sight of the city was overwhelming. I thought that Busan was similarly an urban area, but it's nothing compared to Seoul. Am I really going to be able to live here? When I thought of the future I was to face, I got a little nervous.  But circumstances made me come here, and I can’t turn back now.

"First I have to call Uncle Taec.."

I took out the note I received from Mom. Uncle Taec is my relative. According to Mom, he's the president of a large company here in Seoul. I had graduated from college but failed to find a job. Without any other connections or prospects, I came to Seoul hoping Uncle could help. The last time I saw him was during cousin's wedding, let's see… it was about 10 years ago? I might not recognize him. He must be sophisticated because he is the president of one of those tech companies that is hot right now. Perhaps he wears an expensive suit, looking professional... As I imagined how my Uncle would look now, I called the number Mom gave me.

Ringgggg... RRRinggggggg.... Beep.

 

"...Hello?"

"Oh, hello? It's Victoria."

"Victoria?"

"Victoria, from Busan."

"Oh, Victoria!"

Uncle's voice brightened up. For the president of a company, he's pretty friendly and easy to talk to. I eased up and relaxed a bit.

"I have arrived at the station. Can I head over now?" I say again.

"Oh, actually, can you pick up some things for me at the store?"

"At the store?"

"I'll text you a list right now, so you can stop by the supermarket on the way and buy those items."

"Sure..."

"Thanks!"

BEEP.

 

HE hung up. After a few seconds, I received a message.

"Fenugreek, nigella seed, cardamom.. What are all these?"

The list looked like cooking ingredients, but there were no other instructions. Without knowing what I was supposed to buy, I headed toward the nearest supermarket.

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

What a fancy market... It's nothing like the markets back home. I wonder where this something-greek would be? I headed towards the produce section and wandered around. I bumped shoulders with a man I didn't know.

“Oh I’m sorry.”

“…”

Yikes! he doesn’t look happy… He doesn’t seem friendly, but maybe I should ask him.

“Um, do you know where I can find something-greek?”

“Something-greek?”

“Um, fenugreek?” I said as I read the message I received from Uncle.

The man gave me an exasperated look.

“That’s a spice. You’re in a wrong section.”

“Oh, fenugreek is a spice?”

“You don’t know what you’re buying? Weirdo.”

“Excuse me!?”

“The spice section is over there.”

The man walked briskly. I quickly followed his steps. What kind of a person calls a stranger a “weirdo”? But I guess most people wouldn’t walk me over. He might be blunt, but he must be a good person since he’s helping me.

“Imported spices should be on this shelf.”

“Fenugreek…” I said as I scan the shelf. “Oh here it is.”

I finally found the item I was looking for. But it was on the top shelf and I couldn’t reach it.

“Oh, um..”

“Geez, you need help with everything.”

The man sighed as he reached for the bottle.

“What else?” He said handing me the bottle of fenugreek.

“Huh?” I ask in confusion.

“What else are you buying? You have a list on your phone, right?”

“Oh right. Let me see..” I reached for my phone in my pocket and started reading again.

“Show it to me.”

The man looked at my phone. His face was close enough to touch mine.

“I have poor eyesight.”

“Oh, I see. I do too…”

“Fenugreek, nigella seed, cardamom… They’re all on this aisle.”

“Whoa…”

Ignoring my surprised expression, the man started tossing the items on the list into my basket. I got everything I needed.

“Thanks for helping me.” I said.

“Yeah, yeah.”

“I thought these were vegetable names. I didn’t know they were spices.”

“You don’t know the difference between vegetables and spices?” He looks at me questioningly.

“What?”

“I feel for the guy who ends up marrying you.”

The man mocked me before he turned around and walked away. How rude! Just because I didn’t know the names of spices!? I wouldn’t want to marry a rude man like you! I said to myself while I watch his back walking further away. I took my basket and headed towards the cashier.

 

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

According to the map.. it should be this way.”  I walked from the market to Uncle’s house. I was expecting a residential neighborhood, but I was walking towards Cheongdam-dong. They call it the Champs-Elyses and the Via Montena Poleone of Seoul. This area is lined with luxurious brand-named boutiques, exquisite restaurants, top of the line hair salons, and high-class galleries. It’s nothing like what I’m used to. It’s high-end and fashionable place. Do they have residences here? As I continued to walk, a man standing in front of a display window caught my eye. Inside the display were gorgeous wedding dresses.

The man stood still as he stared at the dresses. I could tell from his side profile that he was handsome. I wonder if he’s getting married soon. Who’s the lucky woman getting married to a cute guy like that? She must be pretty, too. The man turned around as if he noticed me staring at him. I didn’t have the time to look away, and our eyes met.

“What are you looking at?” he suddenly spoke.

Oh it’s that obnoxious guy from the supermarket! I didn’t notice him right away. Everyone here is wearing a suit.  Flustered, I quickly looked down and walked away. The man stared at me as I kept walking.

“…”

Is he still staring at me? He must have thought I was really a weirdo. But he had pretty-brown eyes. It was evident to see outside this clear bright sky. I wasn’t able to get a good look at him before at the supermarket. He doesn’t look ordinary, like he’s from someplace else. Or maybe he’s biracial? And those were beautiful wedding dresses. I want to wear one someday. But I need to look for a job before I get married! Different thoughts crossed my mind as I headed towards Uncle Taec’s house.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Long Island… named after the island in New York?” I arrived at the address I’ve been looking for. But it wasn’t a house, but a sports bar called “Long Island”. Uncle can’t possibly live here. Do I have the wrong address? I question myself. I’m beginning to get confused. I looked around, but I didn’t see any residences nearby. As I was looking lost, someone spoke behind me.

“You’re not going inside?”

“Huh?”

I turned around and a man with tiny eyes was standing behind me. He looked at me with a friendly approachable smile.

“Aren’t you going in? The bar should be open now.”

“Yeah but I think I’m at the wrong place.”

“I see. Where did you want to go?”

“I came to see Ok Taecyeon. But I think I have the wrong address.”

“You’re looking for Taec-hyung. He’s probably inside.”

“You know my uncle?”

“Uncle? He seems young to have a niece your age.”

“Oh, he’s not really my uncle..”

“Doesn’t matter, we’ll talk inside. C’mon in.”

The man cheerfully opened the door for me. I entered the bar, pushed along by his enthusiasm.

 

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

Wow, what a fancy bar. There's a huge TV, a sports bar, alright. I’ve never gone to bars like this, so naturally I looked around in awe. The man who led me in yelled towards the back of the bar.

“Hey hyung. There’s someone here to see you!”

“Someone?”

A man stuck his head out from the counter and beamed brightly as soon as he saw me.

“Are you… Victoria?”

“Uncle Taec?”

“I knew it was you, Victoria! It’s nice to see you!”

“Oh you know each other?” The cheery guy asked Uncle.

“She’s my distant relative! She came from Busan.”

“Oh, that’s what she meant by ‘uncle’.” The cheery guy nodded.

“You must be tired. Why don’t you have a seat?”

At Uncle’s urging I sat down at the counter. Uncle was dressed awfully casual. He was wearing a hat, a shirt and flip-flops. This is Uncle Taec… I don’t remember him like this.

“Did you buy what I asked you to?”

“Oh yes, here.” I said and handed him the paper grocery bag.

“Thanks. We ran out of these. I owe you big time.”

“Is this bar… your company, Uncle?”

“No. My company is different from this.”

Uncle explained as he put the items I bought on the shelves. “I have my employees run the company. And this bar is my hobby.”

“A sports bar?” I asked.

“Isn’t it fun to watch sports with lots of people?” He said with a smile. “So I thought, why not open a sports bar?”

“He says a lot of people, but it’s only a few regulars.” The cheery guy said as he sits down beside me.

“It doesn’t matter. I’m running this bar as a hobby.”

“…”

Uncle acted and looked like a slacker. I couldn’t imagine him running a company. Is he really the president of his own company? Well, there are many different kind of leaders.. I suddenly felt a little bit uneasy. In the middle of a bar was a large TV screen. A news report began..

“In today’s news, the booming tech company HVK.com purchased a major overseas software company. Here is a clip from the press conference held by the CEO.”

The screen switched to a video footage. In front of a large crowd of media was…….. that same guy from the supermarket and staring at the wedding dresses display. Why do I keep seeing this guy? I continue to watch the TV.

“Thank you for joining us today. I am the Chief Executive Officer of HVK.com Nichkhun Horvejkul. I am here to announce the agreement to purchase…” 

“He looks good on TV really.” Uncle Taec commented.

He looked respectable standing in that podium. It’s so different from how he looks earlier. I’d heard about HVK.com when I was looking for work in college. They developed software and systems which took off really well.  Their revenue and employee numbers had doubled and they were growing rapidly. I can’t believe he’s the President of that company! You really can’t judge a book by its cover.

“So Victoria, I heard you haven’t found employment yet.”

“Yes that’s true. I’ve been looking for work since I graduated from college.”

“It’s a bad market right now. Bad economy…” Uncle informed me.

“Yeah, my sales pitches were rejected too…”

“What do you sell?” I asked this nameless guy.

“Oh I’m a comedian. Have you heard of the duo named 2PM?”

“I’m sorry I’m not familiar with it.” I told him honestly.

“Don’t worry we’re still starting out!” He said with a smile.

I stare at him for a while. I still didn’t know the name of this guy yet he keeps talking to me casually.

“Oh, I’m really sorry. Where are my manners? I’m Junho. I’m the handsome half of 2PM. Just remember our name, ‘kay?”

Junho grabbed my hand and started shaking it roughly. No wonder he’s so friendly. He’s a comedian.

“You didn’t expect to meet a comedian as soon as you got to Seoul, did you?” Uncle Taec said to me.

“No, never in my wildest imagination.”

“That’s what meeting by chance is all about.”

Yeah, talk about chances. I said to myself. I glance at the TV as Mr. Big Time CEO finishes his speech.

“Anyway, I’m sorry for the short notice. But there are a few people I’d like you to meet, Victoria.”

“Huh?”

“Over there.”

I looked in the direction Uncle was pointing, and saw two men walking into the bar. Uncle beckoned them to come, and they walked towards us. They have a certain air to them.. they look successful. But wait a minute…..

“Where were you? You’re supposed to be here 30 minutes ago. We’ve been waiting for you.” Comedian Junho questioned.

“Sorry, I had to help a weird girl at the supermarket.”

What this guy doesn’t even remember me??

“So I couldn’t get my things done and…”

“You’re the man from earlier!” I blurted out.

“Huh?”

The man looked at my face and his jaw dropped in surprise.

“You’re the one from the market!” He was the same man I met at the market and standing in the street.

“Oh you two have met?”

Uncle asked us, as the man stared at my face for a long time.. as if looking for something in my face.

“Hyung, is this the….” He trailed.

“Yeah, she’s my distant relative.”

“You gotta be kidding me.”

 

Did he just sigh!?

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us