Cleaning Up!

Undisclosed Union

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“Do non-recyclables go here?”

“Yeah.”

It’s another day of me and Nichkhun’s pretend married life. I went to take out the trash with Nichkhun who was leaving for work.

“I think I’ll be off early today.”

“Oh, that’s good.”

“Did you want to go to Taec’s bar…”

We chatted as I saw him off. But right when we stepped out of the apartment entrance, Krystal was standing there.

“Nichkhun.”

“Krystal!”

Why is she here? I hadn’t asked Nichkhun about her yet. Every time I thought about asking him, something came up.

“What are you doing here so early in the morning?” Nichkhun asked.

“I changed my route, because I was d. I’m scared of walking to work by myself. Can we go together?”

“Scared? It’s broad daylight.”

“Aw, c’mon. Do it for your cute intern. Can’t you be my bodyguard?”

“…”

“Please?”

“Fine. Just for today, alright?”

“Cool!”

Krystal glanced over at me. She had a victorious expression on her face.

“I’m going to borrow your husband.”

“Don’t link your arms with mine.”

Nichkhun complained, but didn’t seem to be upset about it. But there was nothing I could do. I turned to walk back into the apartment without saying anything. Then…

“Victoria.”

Nichkhun called my name and I turned around.

“See you later…”

He looked at me as if he wanted to say something else, but Krystal tugged on Nichkhun’s arm.

“Nichkhun, let’s go. Don’t you have an early meeting today?”

They walked away side-by-side. I watched them leave from the entry way. Nichkhun didn’t really try to brush Krystal’s arm off. I guess it feels good to be liked by your interns. I understand that, but I couldn’t shake the icky feeling, because Krystal feels more than a normal employee-boss relationship with Nichkhun even though he has me as a wife. I mean, “fake” wife. I corrected myself in my thoughts. I didn’t have a reason to get jealous over Nichkhun and I shouldn’t have had feelings like that anyway. But… ARGH! Why am I feeling so annoyed by this!? Not annoyed, more like frustrated, my heart feels heavy. If I stayed home feeling like this, I’d probably feel worse. I decided once I was done with housework, I’d head over to Uncle Taec’s bar. Uncle will understand how I feel and he might give me some advice. As Nichkhun’s car drive into the distance, I tried to shake off my feelings and headed back into the apartment.

 

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

That afternoon, I went out to shop for groceries and I stopped by Uncle’s bar on the way home.

“Hey, Victoria.” Uncle Taec greeted.

“Hello.”

“Oh it’s Victoria.”

“Hey there Victoria.”

JunK and Wooyoung were at the bar. I sat down next them.

“Thanks for the picnic the other day, Victoria. It was good.”

“You’re welcome. I can make more for you guys, anytime.”

“You sound just like a housewife! I’m jealous of Nichkhun.”

My face grew sullen as JunK said that. He noticed immediately and waves his hands around.

“Sorry. That was an insensitive thing to say to someone forced into a fake marriage.”

“No, that doesn’t bother me.”

“’That,’ you say? Is there something else bothering you?”

“Huh?”

“He’s a lawyer. He’s sharp when it comes to subtle wordings.”  Uncle Taec pointed out.

“If there’s something bothering you, talk to us. I’m sure you’ll feel better just by talking about it.”

“…”

Since it was a sensitive matter, I couldn’t go into details. But I decided to ask in a roundabout way.

“When I spoke to Junho and Chansung the other day they mentioned that Nichkhun is popular among his employees.”

“Yeah, he’s kinda liked in general, but I think it’s because he’s kind and passionate about work.”

“I heard that too.”

“But what did they mean by ‘popular’?”

“Huh?”

“Does it mean he’s well-liked or…”

“Do you want to know if he would enter into a relationship with his employees?”

“…”

I answered Uncle’s guess with a silence but not answering made it seem like I was agreeing.

“It’s unlikely.”

“Really, Wooyoung?”

Wooyoung who had remained quiet all this time finally spoke up.

“Nichkhun wouldn’t do that.”

“How can you say that?”

“I don’t have proof. But I know it wouldn’t happen.”

“….”

Because Wooyoung was so reserved, his words carried a lot of weight for me.

“I don’t think so either.”

“Junsu…”

“Nickhun isn’t the type to prey on his employees.”

“Prey on… that’s not what I…”

“But isn’t that what you wanted to know, Victoria? I don’t know what happened, but he’s not that kind of a guy. I swear by it.”

“…”

“And this may be irrelevant…”

JunK looked into my eyes.

“Khun doesn’t open up to many people. Outside of our group, no one. But he is opening up to you, Victoria. And the fact that he opened up to you in this short amount of time…”

“It’s unlikely.”

“…”

“So I think you can feel assured, Victoria. I don’t know what you heard.”

“…”

All of Nichkhun’s longtime friends were saying, ‘Nichkhun isn’t like that’. I wanted to believe their words but…

“Well, even if everyone other than Nichkhun said ‘no’ it’s not gonna make you believe it 100%.”

“Uncle…”

“I think you’re trying to convince yourself otherwise. But there’s something that’s still bugging you about it, right?”

“I guess so.”

“You want me to tell you a good way to get rid of that worry?”

“A good way?”

“At a time like this, you have to be active! Immerse yourself in tedious tasks!”

“What?”

“You clear your mind and soul, and look at yourself again. Then you’ll see something new.”

“Um, if you say so, Uncle.”

“So…”

Uncle pulled out a bucket and some rags from under the counter.

“Thanks for helping me clean up the back.”

“What!?”

“I knew something like this would come up, so I didn’t clean up on purpose. Please take all your time to clear your mind.”

“You gotta be kidding…”

He really left the mess for my worries?

“Well, I can’t make you clean up all by yourself. So Wooyoung, help her out.”

“Okay.”

“Huh?”

Wooyoung, who was nodding off, immediately woke up.

“You like tedious tasks, Woo. So clean with her.”

“Does that mean I can sleep in the back?”

“No it doesn’t! You have to help me! I’m gonna need someone strong to do this!”

“…”

“You were thinking, ‘You’re just as strong,’ weren’t you?” I said back to Wooyoung.

“Yeah.”

“Don’t agree! At least deny it!”

“Sorry for being too honest.”

“You don’t need to say that either!”

“That’s amazing. She’s actually making conversation with Wooyoung.” JunK said.

“Victoria doesn’t shy away from anyone. I’m sure that’s what Nichkhun likes about her.” Uncle Taec replied.

“I don’t have to clean up?”

“Can you help me run errands, Jun.K? I’m out of a lot of things.”

“Sure thing.”

“So can I leave the bar in your hands, you two?” Uncle Taec asked our way.

“Yes.”

“What should we do if a customer comes in?” I asked more importantly.

“Customers won’t come. If one happens to come in, tell them we only have beer.”

“WHAT?”

“We’ll talk some more when we get back Victoria. Bye.”

Uncle and Jun.K left to go buy supplies. Wooyoung and I were left in the bar by ourselves.

“I can’t believe this. I came here to ask him something.”

Well, I was feeling down for a while. If I engross myself in cleaning, it might feel good. I decided to clean up the bar with Wooyoung.

“Shall we begin?”

With that, Wooyoung grabbed the bucket and we headed to the back of the bar.

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“Wow. What a mess.”

At the back of the bar, bottles and supplies were piled up in a small space.

“I guess Uncle doesn’t have time to clean up since he’s working here by himself.”

“No, it’s his personality.”

Wooyoung and I started cleaning. After a while, we heard a voice from the front of the bar.

 

“What!? There’s no one here!”

“It’s finally been abandoned.”

 

Those voices…

“It’s Nichkhun and Chansung.” Wooyoung said.

They didn’t realize we were in the back. They started preparing drinks for themselves while they chatted while Wooyoung and I stayed at the back of the bar cleaning.

 

“Are you sure a newlywed should be drinking at this hour?”

“What do you mean?”

“Isn’t Victoria waiting for you at home?”

“That’s true. I should call her over.”

 

Nichkhun sounded like he was going to call my cellphone. I was about to step out into the front to let him know I was there, when Chansung said something unexpected.

 

“Why don’t you let Victoria go free soon?”

“Go free?”

“Doesn’t all those people at work believe you now? That you’re married?”

“Well, I guess.”

“Then there’s no need to live together. You should let her go so she can get a job…”

“No, not yet.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t plan on letting her go yet.”

“Doesn’t that mean…”

“What?”

“You can’t possibly mean that… you really fell in love with Victoria?”

 

I can’t believe Chansung said that! I got flustered, but remained quiet but Nichkhun was even more flustered.

 

“Wha…Don’t start making things up, man!”

“I’m not making things up. You can trick others, but you can’t trick me. I’ve seen too many romantic screenplays. I’m in the entertainment industry, I’ve pick up on the romantic scent of other people.”

 

Oh my gosh. I can’t believe this is happening! I looked towards Wooyoung, he didn’t say anything and shook his head. Oh, no. I can’t go out there now. What if Uncle Taec and Jun.K come back? While I’m contemplating over this, I hear Chansung speak again.

 

“So how do you feel about her? About Victoria?”

“…”

“If you’re not interested in her, can I go for her?”

“I….”

Nichkhun started to speak slowly.

“I feel…”

 

I listened closely to what Nichkhun was about to say. Just then…

 

CRASH! BANG!

 

“Sorry.”

Wooyoung toppled over some supplies piled nearby. Nichkhun and Chansung could hear from out front, and stopped their conversation.

“Is someone there?”

“Taec? Oh I know, I bet Wooyoung is sleeping back there again.”

“Why don’t you come out here and drink with us?”

Oh gosh. I can’t keep hiding like this. But if I go out now, they’ll know I was listening in on their conversation. What should I do? But I can’t keep hiding back here. I guess I should go out there. Wooyoung and I faced each other and nodded and we walked out to the front of the bar.

 

♦•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•◘•♦

“Oh, I knew it was Wooyoung. Were you sleeping back there?” Chansung said as soon as he saw Wooyoung.

“Isn’t Taec here? Were you watching the bar by yourself?” I heard Nichkhun asked him.

“…”

“Hm? What’s up?”

I poked my head out from behind Wooyoung. Seeing my face, Nichkhun’s eyes widened.

“Victoria!”

“Huh? What’s going on? Both of you were back there?” Chansung who was equally shocked asked Wooyoung.

“We were there the whole time. Taec asked us to clean and to keep watch.”

“Really? You should have come out when we came in.

 

                                                                                     Wait that does mean…”

 

 

 

 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! Thank you so much for all your comments! I honestly thought the last chapter was lame ~_~

Well this chapter I KNOW already is lame for sure. :(

I'll work hard tomorrow, hopefully will be able to finish typing the next chapters. THANK YOU! ☻☻☻