The Truth!

Undisclosed Union

 

A/N: First of all, I really want to apologize for the long overdue to update this fanfic,, real life took me away for quite a long time. But mainly because laziness took over! LOL. Well enough of the excuses, so here it is. I hope my subscribers are still hanging in. Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Did you hear our conversation?” Nichkhun was the first to speak.

“…….”

I came out from the back of the store. Nichkhun and Chansung both had surprised looks on their faces.

“Were you two back there the whole time?”

“Um…”

“I didn’t say anything!”

“Nichkhun…”

“Nothing. I said nothing!”

Nichkhun yelled as his face turned beet red. That was the first time I’d seen Nichkhun get flustered like that. What was he gonna say? I remembered Nichkhun and Chansung’s conversation that I overheard moments ago.

“Why don’t you let Victoria go free soon?”

“I don’t plan on letting her go yet.”

“You really fell in love with Victoria?”

“I feel…”

What I know for sure is that Nichkhun said, ‘I don’t plan on changing our living arrangement yet.’ He didn’t respond to the question, ‘Did you really fall in love with her?’ Before he answered, they found out that I had overheard their conversation. Nichkhun was standing there not knowing what he should do. Just then…

“Thanks for helping me carry all the stuff! You were a great help.”

“Hey, Chansung and Nichkhun are here.”

The bar door swung open, Uncle and Jun.K had returned from their shopping trip.

“Well, look at this. We haven’t all gotten together since… the game?”

“It’s time for a drinking party then! Let me give Junho a call…”

“…….”

“…….”

“…”

“Why is everyone acting weird? Did something happen?” Uncle Taec asked noticing no one responded.

An awkward silence filled the room.  As if he could no longer stand being there, Nichkhun spoke up.

“I’m going home.”

“Huh?” Uncle Taec looked really confused.

“C’mon, Pouty. Let’s go home.”

“Huh...”

Nichhkun pulled my arm, leaving everyone agape, Nichkhun and I left the bar.

 

“Nichkhun…”

“…….”

“Nichkhun, wait.”

Nichkhun was silent as he walked quickly. He must have been really embarrassed knowing I had heard their conversation. But… I want to hear how Nichkhun really feels.  I want to have a heart-to-heart talk with him. I ran to catch up with Nichkhun and grabbed his arm.

“Nichkhun, wait!”

“Whoa!”

Nichkhun finally stopped walking.

“Geez, you’re strong.”

Nichkhun mumbled as he turned around, then he noticed something past me.

“…………”

“Is something wrong?”

“Wait a sec.”

Nichkhun walked along the road. And he talked to an elderly man who was trying to load some items into a car.

“Excuse me.”

“Huh?”

“Would you like some help?”

“Oh, I was trying to load my car with things I bought today, but they’re too heavy for me to lift.”

“You want them all on the flatbed?”

“Oh. Why, yes.”

Nichkhun loaded all the items on the flatbed with ease. I watched Nichkhun’s interaction quietly. He’s normally so blunt and brash but he’s always kind like this. Once Nichkhun was done loading the truck, the elderly man smiled and bowed.

“Thank you very much! That was very kind of you.”

“You’re welcome.”

Nichkhun walked back towards me. He noticed me staring at him and made a huffing sound.

“Whatcha looking at?”

“……..”

“You better not fall in love with me.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t!”

“You’re just saying that to pick a fight with me, aren’t you?”

We stared at each other and burst into laughter. The awkward feeling between us from before went away.

“You’re different, not falling in love with me.” Nichkhun started.

“You’re awfully smug, aren’t you?”

“Hey. You don’t know how popular I am with the ladies.”

“I know. You’re popular among almost every girl out there. You’re popular among you’re interns too.”

“I’m not just popular. Whenever I walk around my company, I get lustful looks from all over.”

“Even from Krystal?”

“Huh?”

“She seems to like Mr. Horvejkul an awful lot.”

“….…”

I brought up Krystal’s name in a teasing way.

“Pouty.”

“She even came over to go to work with you this morning.”

“Pouty!”

Nichkhun grabbed my arm. His grip was stronger than I anticipated and I flinched.

“I don’t know where you’re getting these ideas. But I wouldn’t hit on my employees.”

“……..”

“She’s just another intern. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“………”

“She does approach me more than others. And it’s not as if I haven’t noticed. But I’ve never thought of her as anything more than an intern, and I never will. So nothing will happen between the two of us.”

“Really?”

“I have no reason to lie.” Nichkhun spoke bluntly.

“I don’t know if I believe you.”

“Why?”

Because she knew about the mole on his back… I couldn’t bring myself to mention it. As I stood there in silence…

“It hurts to not have you believe me.” Nichkhun said looking a bit hurt.

“Huh?”

“I don’t care about others, but I want you to trust me.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know!”

“….…”

“Anyway, just trust me! Alright!?”

Nichkhun took a strong stance. As I listened to him, I felt like the anxiety I felt the last few days had lifted. Nichkhun is such a straight-shooter. He’s not the type to lie or deceive. If he’s saying this, I have to believe him. My face must have relaxed from relief.  Nichkhun looked at me teasingly.

“Are you relieved?” Nichkhun asked me.

“What?”

“I see. I get it now.”

“Get what?”

“I thought you didn’t seem like yourself the last few days. This was the reason, huh?”

“What are you saying?”

“You were jealous of Krystal, weren’t you?”

“……”

Jealous? What is he saying!? I was so flustered I couldn’t bring words to my mouth. As I trembled with frustration, Nichkhun continued to talk.

“To think you’d get jealous over me… I didn’t expect it. You are a girl after all, Pouty.”

“Is that a backhanded compliment?”

“Don’t pout like that. You’re really turning into a Pouty.”

“You keep picking on me like this…”

“What do you expect? Like I said before, you’re my new toy. I don’t pick on anyone else but you.”

Nichkhun’s matter-of-fact words grabbed me by my heart. Without realizing how I felt, Nichkhun’s face became serious again.

“Well I guess it’s my fault that you misunderstood.”

“We don’t have to talk about her anymore.”

“No, I should have told you why I was adamant about getting that company. It’s about time I tell you the truth.”

“….…”

“Let’s take a stroll before we go home.”

“A stroll?”

“Sometimes a nighttime stroll is nice... Here.”

Nichkhun extended his hand to me.

“Gimme your hand. I want to hold it.”

“…….”

“Don’t take it the wrong way. We need to pretend to be a couple in-love to our neighbors, right?”

“Oh. I see.”

“C’mon, give me your hand.”

I reached over to Nichkhun and instead of the usual clasp, he entangled his fingers with mine.

“Aye…”

“What kind of reaction is that? You’ve never held hands like this before?”

“I, ah…”

“You have!? With whom!?”

“No comment.”

“Oh, you think you’re being smart with me? I’m gonna make you tell me your story, too.”

Nichkhun squeezed my hand. We held hands as we walked in the opposite direction from our home.

 

 

We walked to the baseball field where they played the last time. By the time we got there, the sky had grown dark.

“It looks so different at night.” Nichkhun said as he looks around the baseball field.

“Yeah. It looks a little lonesome.”

We both stared into the empty field. Nichkhun looked straight ahead as he opened his mouth to speak.

“Sorry for all of this.”

“What do you mean?”

“Sorry for making you participate in this lie without giving you all the details.”

“Khun…”

“You asked me before. There are so many companies out there, so why did I want to have this one in particular.”

“Yeah.”

“The reason why I wanted to is…”

Nichkhun hesitated for a moment. After a long pause, he started speaking again.

“The reason why I wanted to work on it was to see my father.”

“SEE your father?” I asked him confused.

“I never SEE my father. My mom raised me by herself. My mom told me that my father is a serious man, the company is his LIFE. And two years ago, when my mom died, he completely changed, like he just lost it. The truth is..”

“The truth?”

“The truth about my father. His condition now. After my mom's memorial service, my father disappeared without telling anyone. I guess you could say, He abandoned me.”

“What? I don't understand.”

“At the time, when he disappeared it was my grandfather who still holds our family's corporation. And my father was the heir of that wealthy family, with his future planned out for him. I, on the other hand would be the second in line.”

".........."

"As soon as I found out, I was determined to locate my father. But after 4 days, he came back. But he came back differently. Like he never knew me. As if he never knew he had a son. That I am his son."

“He has amnesia?”

“That’s right. Selective amnesia, but the doctors couldn't even explain as to why and when he'll come back. He still knows who he is, Gregory Horvejkul. The heir of HVK Corporation.”

I didn’t want to approach him as his son, so I worked hard to earn my place at the company. My grandfather advices me to take all the time my father needs to recuperate. And I am giving him that."

“What did you find out?”

“My father doesn’t remember some bit about his past. I already lost my mom, and I don't want to lose my dad either.”

“Like what is being a family? The relationship between parents and children? The longing...”

“I feel like our fake marriage is more like… more like…”

Nichkhun choked on his words. His shoulders shook and it looked like he was about to cry. Nichkhun… he’s never shown this side of himself before. Instinctively, I got up and stood in front of Nichkhun. He looked up at me,

“What’s wrong?”

“..…”

“Huh?”

I wrapped my arms around Nichkhun and embraced him. Resting Nichkhun’s head on my chest, I squeezed gently.

“What are you doing?”

“…..” I did not speak but continued to embrace him.

“Do you feel sorry for me?”

“No.”

“Are you trying to seduce me?”

“Don’t act like that.”

“What?”

“You don’t have to pretend.”

“Pouty...”

“You can be yourself when you’re with me, Khun.”

“…….”

“Nichkhun..”

“…….”

“Victoria…”

Nichkhun wrapped his arms around my back. He hugged me as if he was seeking comfort. I patted his back as if I was comforting a little child.

“…”

“…”

Nichkhun let out a big breath into my chest. We didn’t exchange any words as we held each other close.

After we’d been holding each other for a while, Nichkhun finally spoke.

“Why did you come?”

“What?”

“Why did you come to my place?”

“Nichkhun…”

“I was fine being all alone before you came. I was getting used to being lonely.”

“You should never get used to being lonely.” I said to him earnestly.

“I didn’t have a choice.”

Still holding me, Nichhkun looked up at my face.

“I can’t go back to being alone anymore. Now I know what this is like… I can’t go back to living by myself anymore. I’ll be too lonely if you go away.”

“Don’t worry…. I won’t let you feel lonely. I’ll stay by your side.”

“Victoria…”

Nichkhun hugged me even stronger. Scrunching up his face, he buried it in my chest.

In the pitch black baseball field. We embraced each other as if time had stopped.

 

 

 

---------------------------

A/N: Starting at this chapter, I am going to add some bits of stuff about this fic but it's not really going to be a relevant part of the story. Let's just say that they're like EXTRAS or behind-the-scene parts, like they're some post-it notes Khun leaves for Victoria. Yeah, that's it. Thanks again for everyone's patience.