Busted? NOT!

Undisclosed Union

 

“You said, ‘We’re not really married.” What do you mean by that?”

I could feel my face turning pale. Looking sternly, Krystal walked towards me.

“I came to see Mr. Horvejkul, but both of you came out so I hid behind the bushes. Victoria, you said ‘We’re not really married.’ Right?”

“No, I…”

“You can’t deny it. I heard it. Even Nichkhun said ‘If we were really newlyweds.’ That means you’re not married, right?”

“…….”

Oh, no! My back was against the wall. Noticing that I was at a loss for words, Krystal smirked.

“See. I was right. There’s no way Nichkhun would marry someone like you. That’s a relief, I really believed you were really married for a second.”

“Um…”

“I’m sorry. I need to go to work. Where Nichkhun is waiting for me.”

Krystal had a triumphant smile as she ran in the same direction Nichkhun had headed. Left all alone, I stood there not knowing what to do. (If she tells the co-CEO, it would put Nichkhun’s job in jeopardy! What should I do!?)

THAT AFTERNOON.

Feeling anxious about that morning, I was preparing for dinner. I wonder if she said anything to Nichkhun at work today. (But she likes Nichkhun. So she wouldn’t say anything that would get him mad at her.) Is she going to do something to me?

DING DONG!

The doorbell rang suddenly and I jumped. Nichkhun would unlock the door himself. Which meant… I picked up the receiver of the intercom and I looked at the monitor to see who was there…

“Hello.”

I knew it! It was Krystal, she must have come here right after work.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” I spoke over the intercom.

“Can you open the door?”

“Nichkhun isn’t home yet.”

“I’m not here for Nichkhun. I came here to talk to you. “

“…….”

“You’re not gonna open the door? I’m gonna tell everyone about your lie.”

“Please come in.”

I pushed the entry button and Krystal disappeared from the monitor. My heart was beating rapidly. (I wonder what she wants?)

“Thanks.”

I led Krystal to the living room. She looked around the room, looking amused.

“Wow. This is Nichkhun’s place huh? I thought he would have good taste.”

“…….”

“May I sit down?”

Krystal sat down on the couch before I answered. It was the couch Nichkhun had been sleeping on every night.

“I’ll get you some tea.”

“Oh there’s no need. I only came to talk to you.”

“Talk?”

“I don’t want to beat around the bushes, so let me say it to you straight.”

Krystal looked straight at me.

“Please break up with Nichkhun.”

“…….”

“Oh, I guess it’s weird to say break up. Because you’re not married.”

“…….”

“I don’t know why you’re doing this, but stop pretending to be his wife. He has me. Get out of this house and don’t ever see Nichkhun again.”

“You…”

“If you don’t listen to what I say, I’m going to tell everyone at work that you two aren’t really married.”

If they found out our marriage was fake… Nichkhun will fail. I can’t have that! Nichkhun was finally able to help his father. Nichkhun was disappointed in the father that he met. But that was more of a reason not to get away from his father. If he left now, Nichkhun would never confront his father and would hate him for the rest of his life. I don’t want to keep lying about this, but we have to. Even if people doubt us, that’s the only way. I made my decision and smiled right at her.

“It’s true that we aren’t married.”

“Huh?”

“We just haven’t filed our marriage license. We’re going to, soon.”

“Do you think I’ll believe you?”

“Because it’s true. I just moved to Seoul, so we haven’t had the time.”

“Then let me ask you….”

Krystal stared right at me.

“Where did you two meet?”

“Um…”

“Where?”

“At Taec’s bar.”

“Bar?”

“My uncle Taec owns a bar and Nichkhun is a regular customer there.”

“I see. How long have you two been dating?”

“Huh?”

“You’re married, so I’m assuming that you’ve been going out a long time. Six months? A year?”

“Six…months.”

These details were sorted out beforehand to deal with the co-CEO. Still Krystal’s persistent questions continued.

“What’s Nichkhun’s favorite food?”

“Samgyupsal.”

“What else does he like? It doesn’t have to be food.”

“He likes to cook. He loves to collect kitchen appliances. And he also likes Roomba.”

“Roomba?”

Krystal looked down, she saw the Roomba and giggled.

“Oh, the cleaning robot. He likes that? How cute. Yeah, because Nichkhun likes dogs.”

“…Yeah.”

Krystal smirked and looked up at me.

“I tricked you.”

“What?”

“I didn’t think you’d get tricked so easily.”

Krystal giggled happily.

“Nichkhun doesn’t like dogs. He hates them!”

“…!”

“And not just big dogs. He was so scared of a tiny dog someone brought to some conference. How would his fiancée not know that?”

Oh, no… the more I kept it up, the more holes in our story she’d find. I thought about my options. This girl really likes Nichkhun, she wouldn’t let Khun be mad at her. So even if I tell her that I’m not really his wife, she might keep our secret. But she might have wanted something in return. Maybe she’d ask that I not talk to Nichkhun, even though we live together. But I’ll accept anything to keep Nichkhun from having to leave his job. If I have to protect Khun, I have to! I made up my decision and looked at Krystal.

“…Listen, Krystal.”

“What is it?”

“What I’m going to tell you… Will you keep it a secret?”

“…”

Krystal sat up straight because I had a serious look.

“Nichkhun and I are…”

“…”

“Married.”

SLAM!

As I started speaking, the living room door flew open.

“Nichkhun!”

“What are you two doing?”

Nichkhun walked towards us. He patted the Roomba by his feet.

“I’m home Roomba. I’m home, Victoria.”

KISS.

Nichkhun kissed me on my cheek as if he did that daily.

“Nichkhun…”

“Oops, I greeted the Roomba before my wife. My apologies.”

Nichkhun kissed me on the other cheek. Krystal’s eyes flared up as she watched us.

“What are you doing!?” Krystal asked annoyed.

“Oh, sorry. It’s our daily routine.” Calmy Nickhun answered her.

“You’re lying. You’re not even really married!”

“Hm? Why would I?”

“I heard you two talking this morning! You said you’re not really married!”

“Did we say that Victoria?”

I shook my head at Nichkhun but Krystal wouldn’t back down.

“You guys are pretending to be married, right? You’re lying to everyone!”

“What are you talking about? Are you delirious from overworking?”

“I know you’re lying! I’m gonna tell the whole office about you!”

“Krystal.”

“It’s not an empty threat! I’m going to really tell everyone!”

“What would make you believe us?”

“Show me proof that you love that woman.”

“Proof?”

“Kiss her in front of me!”

(….!!)

Nichkhun tightened his lips. He glanced over at me, then turned towards Krystal.

“If we kiss, you’re going to believe us?”

“I will.”

“We don’t like to kiss in front of others, but if that’s the only way you’ll believe us…”

“Khun…”

“Victoria…”

Nichkhun grabbed my arms. He pulled me towards him, and tucked my hair back behind my ears.

…….

Nichhkun placed his hands on the side of my face, and leaned forward towards me.

10 centimeters… 5 centimeters…

Our lips were about to touch when…

“Stop!”

Nichkhun paused and looked over at Krystal who just yelled at us.

“You don’t want us to kiss?”

“….”

“You know this is all pointless, right?”

“Mr. Horvejkul…”

“I don’t care if you or anyone else doesn’t believe us. As long as I know how I feel, that’s all that matters.”

“How you feel?”

“I…”

Nichkhun turned towards me and looked right into my eyes.

“I care about Victoria.”

“!” What did he just say?

“I love Victoria.”

“…!” I was mermerized by Nichkhun’s forceful eyes. I felt like I was going to be swallowed by his focused gaze. (IS this an act he’s putting on for her? Is he able to act and make this expression?) I looked confused as I stared into Nichkhun’s face. But Nichkhun didn’t look away from me. After gazing at each other for a long time… Nichkhun turned to look at Krystal once again.

“I think you’re a wonderful person, Krystal. You work hard and you’re kind to your fellow co-workers.”

“…”

“But that’s how all I feel towards my employees. Nothing more. I think fondly of all my workers, but it’s all purely a boss and employee relationship. The only woman I love is Victoria.”

“…”

Krystal’s shoulders dropped in disappointment. Looking down, she whispered sadly,

“I understand. I knew somewhere in my heart.”

Krystal raised her head to look at me,

“I’ll tell you something that will make you happy.”

“Make me happy?” I asked.

“That thing about Nichkhun’s mole… I lied.”

“Huh?”

“About what? What are you talking about?” Nichkhun butted in and asked.

“But you have a mole on the left of your back bone.” I said towards Khun.

“The mole is in the right place because I saw it.” Krystal explained.

“Hey what are you two talking about?”

“We weren’t doing anything bad when I saw it. It was during one of our out-of-town company outings. Of course Nichkhun was in his swimsuit, that’s when I saw his back. There’s nothing going on between us.”

“…….”

“So…. I’m sorry. I promise I’ll never come here again. And I won’t contact him if something happens to me like last time…”

“You can contact me for those things. You’re still my employee so I care about you.”

“Thank you Mr Horvejkul.”

Krystal smiled as she looked like she was about to cry. She bowed to Nichkhun and me and left the apartment.

 

WE remained silent for a brief moment. Then Nichkhun tapped the side of my head.

“Hey.”

“Yeah?”

“You were about to tell her, weren’t you?”

“About what?”

“Our relationship! You were about to tell Krystal about everything, weren’t you? Geez, good thing I came home in time. Don’t do things on your own.”

“I’m sorry…”

“You’re being awfully honest.”

“Because I was really going to tell her everything. And I thought it would be okay if she kept our secret.”

“Don’t make important decisions like that by yourself. It concerns both of us, so we have to talk about it first.”

“Khun…”

I looked up at Nichkhun, he stretched his arms out, then,

“Ah, I’m hungry!”

“Huh?”

“I used up all my energy and I’m so hungry now. What’s going to be dinner for tonight?”

“Ginger pork.”

“Oh, awesome! I wanna eat right now. I’ll help, so let’s make dinner!”

“Okay.”

We headed to the kitchen together. Wearing matching aprons, we cooked dinner.

 

“Bon apetit!”

We had dinner together, Nichkhun must have been hungry because he was eating at a good pace.

“It’s delicious!”

“Really?”

“Your cooking’s getting better each day!”

“Tehee. Maybe.”

“I taught you well.”

“No way! I worked hard!”

The anxiety I felt the last two days had all disappeared. Eating dinner while we joked around was great.

“Why didn’t you tell me about it?” Nichkhun suddenly asked.

“What?”

“About the mole on my back. If you had told me earlier, I would have talked to Krystal.”

“I was scared.”

“Scared? Why?”

“Because…”

“Oh, I get it. You were worried that I might be in a relationship with her.”

“Yeah..”

“Really?”

“I wish I didn’t… but that’s what I thought.”

“Pouty…”

“I was really worried and scared.”

I admitted my honest feelings. Nichkhun looked at me sincerely as I talked.

“And I didn’t want to seem like I was snitching.”

“Snitch?”

“If I said, ‘Krystal told me this,’ wouldn’t it sound like snitching?”

“I guess.”

“I’m sure Krystal was desperate too.  I don’t want to say things behind her back.”

“You’re like my mom. My mom didn’t like to talk badly about others. Even though she must have had some difficult times. She never said anything bad about my father, either.”

“I see.”

“Yeah, not even once.”

“That’s probably because she loved him. I don’t know what happened between her and your father. But your mom must have really loved your father.”

“…….”

Nichkhun stopped eating. He was silent as he thought to himself.

“Are you allright?”

“Huh? No… It’s nothing.”

Nichkhun continued to eat his dinner. After that, we just talked about our usual things and we finished our late dinner.

“La~ la~ la~”

After dinner, I washed the dishes as I sang. Then I sensed Nichkhun standing behind me.

“Pouty.”

“Yeah?”

I responded without turning around and continued talking,

“Go ahead and take a shower first, I want to finish up here.”

“That’s not it..... What I said earlier… I meant it.”

“What you said earlier?”

I continued to wash dishes as I responded to Nichkhun. Then suddenly he reached over and turned off the faucet.

“Hey what are you doing?”

Before I could look up, Nichkhun grabbed my shoulders and turned me around to face him. He put both of his hands around my head and stared into my eyes.

“Khun…”

“I’ll only say it once, so listen closely.”

(Why is he glaring at me?)

Nichkhun was glaring, but his face was a little flush. Nichkhun sounded angry as he said…

“I care about you…. I love you.”

“Khun… mmph.”

Nichkhun interrupted me as he covered my lips with his. He pushed his lips roughly against mine.

Being pushed by Nichkhun’s kiss, I stepped backwards. My hips hit against the sink and I had nowhere to go. He released his lips gently and looked into my eyes.

“You love me, too, right?”

“…...”

“Tell me you love me.”

“Khun…”

“If you don’t…”

“…!”

Nichkhun kissed me forcefully again. I struggled to breathe and tried to escape from his lips, but he wouldn’t let go. Soon, I felt his warm tongue searching for mine. Khun hungrily kissed my lips. The hot passionate kiss made me feel dizzy.

(Khun.. Is this real?)

I thought to myself as I kissed him back. But soon, I couldn’t think anymore with our deep, frenzied kiss. Before I knew it, I was drowning in his warm and tender lips.