Busted!

Undisclosed Union

The morning after Nichkhun told me about his father. We were eating breakfast while watching the news on TV.

Announcer:  “This morning at 6:00 A.M., a woman walking to work at Seoul district was attacked from behind by an unknow man. Her bag, which had contained some cash, was stolen.”

“That’s awful.” Nichkhun commented, his eyes still glued to the screen.

“And it’s close to here, too.” I added.

According to the news, there were several incidents similar to that and they all occurred in the Seoul residence district. The police were searching for the man, but they were asking for the public’s help.

“How scary that he comes up to you from behind. If I was coming home from shopping, both of my hands would be full, too.” I said a bit concerned.

“I think you’d be fine.”

“Huh?”

“I’m sure thieves like that pick their victims. He wouldn’t want to approach someone who’d fight back.”

“Fight back? What if he hugged me from behind?”

“Haha, who would want to hug… you...”

“…….”

We both became silent. I remembered what happened at the baseball field last night.

“I don’t want to be alone anymore.”

“I’ll stay by your side.”

(We were both a little embarrassed and didn’t talk much on the way home. I thought things would be back to normal in the morning…) I could still feel Nichkhun’s warmth on my arms and my chest. As for Nichkhun, it appeared he’d remembered, too, and blushed a little.

“I should get going. I have a meeting this morning.”

“Oh, can I go with you part of the way?”

“Are you going out?”

“I need to go to city hall to submit my address change and other paperwork.”

“The city hall is two stations away. I’ll drive you to the station.”

“Okay.”

Nichkhun and I left the house together.

 

 

“If you stop by the City Hall, wouldn’t you be talking the long route?” I asked Khun as I steadied myself on the passenger’s seat.

“It’s still early, so I’m okay. What if you get lost and the police call me to come get you?”

“You make me sound like a child.”

Nichkhun just smirked. We headed towards the station then we saw a little boy chasing after a ball and he was about to run into the street.

“Watch out!” I exclaimed.

“!”

Nichkhun slammed the brake pedal as hard and we stop into a halt. A second later, a car sped down the street. The boy could have been in a serious accident.

“That was close.” Nichkhun said.

“Waa!”

“Shou!”

The boy’s mother heard his cries and rushed over. The mother hugged her son and apologized to us.

“I’m so sorry! I lost sight of him for a moment.”

“I’m glad he didn’t get hurt.” I said.

“You have to be careful, alright? Don’t let go of mommy’s hand.” Nichkhun said with his relieved eyes.

Nichkhun tousled the crying boy’s hair. We waved goodbye to the boy and went on our way to the city hall. (Nichkhun really is kind. He talks bluntly, so people might not realized it…) I glanced over at Nichkhun’s face as he continued to drive. Nichkhun noticed my glances.

“Why are you looking at me like that? Did you fall in love with me?”

“OF course not!”

“See, you’re answering like that again. You ought to be more honest with your feelings.”

“Where do you get that self-confidence?” I challenged him.

“If I were a girl, I would definitely fall in love with me.” he bantered.

“If I were a guy, I’d fall in love with me.”

“If you were a guy, you’d be really macho. We could be best friends.”

“Is that another back-handed compliment!?”

We teased each other as we drive our way to the city hall. Nichkhun drove me all the way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

“Are you going to be late tonight?” Nichkhun asked me as he stopped the car in front of the City Hall.

“No. I’m only going to the city hall today.”

“Alright.”

“Aw, you look happy. Are you happy when I come home early?”

“Someone’s got a big head. Where do you get that optimistic view on life?”

“You’re rubbing off on me.”

“They say married couples tend to act alike. Well. I guess I am happy.”

“Huh?”

“Because I only had Roomba before. But now, I also have you waiting for me at home... I look forward to coming home lately...”

“…….Then I gotta work harder to rank above Roomba.”

“That’s the spirit. Well, we’re all going to live together from now on. Both of you kids better get along.”

“Both kids? One machine and one woman, you mean.”

“Heh.”

Nichkhun checked his watch as he laughed.

“Oops! I’m gonna be late.”

“You better go then. I don’t want you to be late.”

“You could get out of the car now.”

“Have a nice day.” I said to him as I got out of the car and closed the door.

“See yah!” he said as he drove away.

How long does he mean “from now on?” From what Nichkhun said last night, he was disillusioned by his father. If he were to resign from his position there, we wouldn’t have to pretend to be married anymore. (But is his father really a horrible person? Nichkhun said his father had all forgotten about him. But he doesn’t really know what his father is thinking. Perhaps his father had his own reasons…  And it’s possible Nichkhun didn’t know that.) I thought to myself as I walked into the City Hall.

 

 

I arrived at the city hall. I waited for my number to be called as I thought about Nichkhun and his father some more. I wonder what Nichkhun is planning to do now. He said he’s not going to release me from this living arrangement yet, so he must have additional plans. He can’t be thinking revenge, can he!? Different thoughts were going through my head, when the man I’d met before approached me.

“Oh, hello.” greeted the man whose face is beginning to get familiar to me.

“Oh, nice seeing you again.”

“Are you waiting to be called, too?” he asked.

“Yes. You also?”

“I have some paperwork to take care of for work.”

 The man was holding a pile of manila envelopes filled with paper.

“How many times have we bumped into each other now? It’s a pleasure each time.” he then said.

“It certainly is.”

“You looked a little anxious just now.”

“I’m sorry, Sir?”

“You were furrowing your brow. You mustn’t frown, or you’ll wrinkle your lovely face.”

“Oh, thank you.”

“Are you worried about something? Did you want to talk about it?”

“Ummm..”

“Only if you want to. I owe you for the time you helped me fix my bicycle. I could give you some advice as an old man who’s experienced many things.”

“….”

(But this man works at the same company as Nichkhun. I can’t say too much.) I decided to keep it as vague as possible.

“Well, let me give you a scenario.” I started cautiously.

“Sure.”

“Oh, before that, may I ask if you have any children?”

“Children?”

“I’m sorry, that’s too personal of a question, isn’t it?”

“Oh, don’t worry. I do have a child.”

“I see. Then I’d like to know… If you haven’t seen your child for a long time, do you think your love for the child would be any less?”

“Under what circumstances?”

“It’s a different example, but they say, ‘Love a nearby stranger more than a faraway relative.’ I wonder if that counts for a parent and child. Do parents and their children love each other less if they don’t live nearby?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Oh.”

“I think the bond between a parent and child isn’t something that can be cut off easily. I think all parents love their children.” As he said this, this man lips curled up a bit.

“But…”

“I’ve heard many stories about different families… and there are people who are unable to express their love. But I am hopeful. I don’t think there is a parent in the world who doesn’t love his child.”

“…….”

His passionate words left me speechless. Noticing that I became silent, the man apologized.

“I’m sorry. I get passionate about these issues.”

“Oh, please don’t apologize.”

“May I ask if your parents are still living?”

“Yes. They are both still living in Busan.”

“Then please take care of them. I’m sure they care about you deeply.”

“Yes I will.”

As we talked, the clerk behind the counter called out a name.

“Mr. Bernard.”

“Oh, they’re calling me. Hope to see you again soon.”

Perhaps the man was a little embarrassed about his passionate speech. He quickly got up and left.

“I don’t think there is a parent in the world who doesn’t love his child,” huh?

If that were true, then Nichkhun’s father still… I should send my parents something.  I’ll stop by a department store after this. I felt as if the man helped me organized my thoughts. And I finally learned that his name was Bernard.

------------------------------------------

 

“I stayed out longer than I expected.” I say to myself.

I arrived at the station at night. I looked around several department stores, and it got late. I wonder if Nichkhun is home already. I bought different things at the deli section, so we can start dinner as soon as I get home. I rushed through the turnstile. Just then Nichkhun was standing right in front of me.

“Khun!”

“You’re late. How long were you at the city hall? Did they held you up in there?”

“Oh...”

I forgot I told him I won’t be out long because I was just going to the city hall. And there was the news report about a mugging incident. Maybe he was worried and came to pick me up. I was touched by Nichkhun’s sweet gesture. I thanked him.

 “Thanks, Khun.”

“Huh?”

“You came because you were worried about me, right?”

“N-No. I had some errands to run over here.”

“You don’t have to lie. You were worried about the mugging, right?”

“Whatever. What idiot would mug you? But if you want to thank me, I’ll accept. Feel free to fall in love with me, too. Since I’m such a great guy.”

“That’s true.”

“What?”

“I think you are great.”

“…….”

“Oh, um…”

I had responded without teasing as usual. Nichkhun didn’t expect a response like that and started to blush.

“S-Stop that! Don’t just agree with me!”

“I know, but…” (It came out naturally!) I got flustered and continued my words…

“I meant great, as in only your looks.” I suddenly had to improvise.

“I guess I can’t get mad about that. You’re throwing me off my game. Stop acting different, Pouty.”

Nichkhun must not have been expecting that kind of response, and he was perspiring from being flustered and I was embarrassed about what I said, and we had an awkward silence.

“Um, shall we head home?” I asked Nichkhun setting aside the awkward situation.

“Y-Yeah, we should. Gimme those bags. I’ll carry them.”

“Oh, but they’re heavy.”

“I know. So give them to me.”

Nichkhun took the shopping bags from my hands.

“C’mon, let’s go.”

“Okay.”

Nichkhun started walking quickly. I followed him a step behind. We walked to his car without saying a word. Normally we would be teasing each other. (Things feel different since last night. Is our relationship changing?) Different things ran through my mind as we head home.

--------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT MORNING

I went out with Nichkhun to take out the trash.

“Yawnn.” I said as I stretched out my hands.

“That was a huge yawn. It’s like a hippo.”

“I’m not a hippo.”

“That’s your response? Come back with something smarter. You aren’t fully awake yet, huh?”

“…….”

In fact, I didn’t get much sleep last night. Even if I closed my eyes, I kept thinking about Nichkhun and I didn’t fall asleep until nearly dawn. I can usually fall asleep as soon as I hit the bed. I wonder what’s wrong with me? But the more I thought about it, the more unnaturally I acted so I tried to act as normal as possible.

“I’m only pretending to be sleepy. Aren’t newlyweds always sleep deprived?”

“What? You . Well, if we were really newlyweds, I wouldn’t let you sleep at night.”

“When that time comes, I’ll take lots of naps. I’ll be napping all day, too.”

“You lazy housewife. I’m gonna send you back home.”

“Go ahead. We’re not really married anyway.”

“Oh that’s your comeback now?”

We finally got back to our usual pace. Nichkhun helped me take out the trash, and I walked him out.

“See you later.”

“Have a nice day.”

Nichkhun waved goodbye and headed for work, I watched Nichkhun until I could no longer see him. Married couples would see each other go to work everyday like this. I wonder if that day will ever come for me? I daydreamed about my married life. Just then, the bushes by the entrance rustle.

“Hmm, what was that?”

I saw a shadow to the side of the apartment entrance. Is someone there? The person in the shadow walked out.

“Krystal!”

Krystal stepped forward from behind the bushes. She looked angry as she walked towards me.

“What did you mean by that?” she suddenly probed.

“What??”

“You said, ‘We’re not really married anyway’. What did you mean by that?”

“!”

She heard our conversation just now? She found out we’re not really married!

 

----------------------