Close Call

The Light's Shadow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryeowook and Sungmin were busy working at Epic Sweets, which had opened not too long ago. Since it was a Sunday, it seemed a little slow.

 

"Do you boys not have anything to do?"Ryeowook's mother asked as she brought out fresh cupcakes.

 

"Not until six"Wookie smiled"we got invited to a movie night"

 

"How exciting! My little Wookie already made lots of friends"she gushed and her son blushed.

 

"You guys have only been here a month but it feels like it's been years"Sungmin said, he fixed the strap on his apron since it was folded behind his neck feeling uncomfortable.

 

"So who are all your new friends?"Ms. Kim asked.

"Well there's Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Donghae, Jongjin, and Yesung"Wookie smiled.

"What are they like?"

 

His mother began to wipe the tables down as she spoke, she always seemed active never taking a break.

 

"Well this is how Sungmin is..."Wookie laughed gesturing to Min who was helping wipe down tables"Eunhyuk loves to dance and eat...Donghae is like Eunhyuk but a bit bashful, I guess he isn't as confident as he seems. And Yesung is very smart and knows a lot about family. Jongjin is his little brother so they're alike"

 

"They sound nice, does Yesung live alone?"Ms. Kim asked.

"No, he lives with his family still. He mostly looks after his younger brother because his parents are busy with work"Sungmin murmured and Ryeowook's mother sighed putting a hand over her heart"Jongjin is still in high school"

"What a nice boy"she said"he sounds like a good friend"

 

"He is, tonight will be our first official hang out with everyone"Ryeowook said.

 

"You'll have to bring them here sometime, I want to meet them"his mother said and Ryeowook rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"All of them?"he asked and his mother looked at Sungmin"okay"

"They're not gangsters right?"she asked.

Sungmin laughed"not at all, they're nice guys I promise"

"I will ask them if they want to come here next weekend, we're all busy during the weekdays"Ryeowook said. Sungmin nodded, he only had his job at the library on the weekdays and sometimes on weekends but when he thought about it, without his friends he'd have no life at all since he wasn't in college yet... What would he do without them?

"Oh, more customers"Ms. Kim said as a couple walked in the door"hello, can I help you?"

 

"I guess time will pass quickly today"Ryeowook said when he saw more people outside the building, it was still early in the day. Sungmin laughed and continued to wipe down the tables as Wookie helped his mother with orders.

 

--------

 

"Is it six yet?"

 

"Not yet..."

 

Silence hung between the two guys as they sat on the bench looking at the cherry blossoms around them. It was nice out but yet there was something wrong, like there was no happiness.

 

"Is it six yet?"

 

"Not yet"

 

.....

 

"Is it six yet?"

 

"Hyuk if you keep asking I'm walking away"Yesung murmured closing his eyes, the warmth of the sun felt good mixing with the cool breeze.

 

"sorry"

 

Eunhyuk was totally out of ideas about what to do for the next four hours, since they'd run from his landlady an hour ago they ended up at the park again. It took a full forty minutes just to lose that persistent and angry adjumma, Yesung promised to pay the rent tomorrow. When she left, Eunhyuk was grateful but not for the glare he was getting from Yesung.

 

"Can we go get something to eat?"Eunhyuk asked, he looked at Yesung who was enjoying the sun. He poked his cheek and Yesung's eyes immediately opened"I'm hungry"

"You're always hungry"Yesung said pushing his friend's hand away.

"Please! Please please please please please please"Eunhyuk begged tugging on the older's shirt like a child asking their parent for a toy.

Yesung covered his ears and started walking away.

"Hyung! Please?"Eunhyuk pleaded grabbing his friend’s wrist.

"Did you just call me hyung?"Yesung asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter