00-005

The 13th Shadowchild
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

KRIS’S POV

 

After the incident I asked Kai and Sehun to take care of the two girls. Whatever the word care meant for them. Regardless, the class still went on.

 

But my mind was far from it. My concentration had long been gone. I had asked Sunmi to take a shower earlier, and even until now I couldn’t see her getting out of the girls’ locker room.

 

Whatever she did down below, I had at least an idea of what it was. And no doubt, it was her power.

 

She had used it on me once when we were still kids—when she was still a vampire. I remembered teasing Luhan about it because unlike him, Sunmi showed incredible potential as a Lu descendant. Truth be told, she was more powerful than Luhan.

 

So when we were told that she suddenly lost all her powers and memories, we were all devastated. Because her vampire persona had been “suppressed”, Madame Lu didn’t think it wise to let her stay with the family at all.

 

I had to admit that sending her off to her maternal family was a heart-breaking farewell. The feeling I had back then was very similar to when I just lost another family member—gone forever.

 

I felt that way because Sunmi held a piece of me that I can't let go.

 

And I found it funnily ridiculous.

 

Imagine the joy I felt when Sooman finally decided to bring her back, regardless of whether she had really turned into a human already or her vampire skills had just become dormant all these years. The mission of getting her back was so enthralling I wasn't able to sleep for days.

 

I was beyond happy. Our Sunmi was finally returning to us. I did not care if she couldn’t remember us. What was important was that the person who held a piece of my heart was finally returning to me.

 

I loved her the way Luhan and Lay loved her.

 

We were her home.

 

However, Sunmi's return to the Elite circle could've been bombastic news. She could finally fulfil the role she was born with and take her rightful place as the thirteenth Shadowchild. 

 

But for some reasons, Luhan wanted to keep her a secret from the rest of the Shadow world, even from his own family. He would never say why. Luhan, even though he was my best friend, was a man of many secrets and mysteries.

 

As if we lived in a completely different world, all the rest of us could do was wonder why the Baihus were after Sunmi, what the origin of the curse was, or how it could be broken.

 

So finding out that Sunmi was starting to exhibit her vampire powers when the curse hadn’t even been lifted yet was more than a case of bafflement.

 

This must be why I as a leader.

 

In my defense, Sehun was definitely no better than I was.

 

So far...

 

The bell for next period finally rang. I didn’t even realize it until Sunmi approached me herself.

 

“So…” she trailed.

 

I watched her play with her fingers, head hung low. I must’ve scared her earlier. Now I felt guilt eating away at me.

 

I mean, I had been rude to her ever since she came. Intentionally. I couldn’t help it. Not being able to fully reconcile with her (because of her blocked memories, that is) was getting me so worked up. Sometimes, I can’t help but wonder how Lay and Luhan were able to deal with this circumstance. Because I can’t. Not at all.

 

I let out a long breath. “I’m sorry.”

 

She looked up at me with wide, surprised eyes. Then, I smiled at her and patted her on the head.

 

“I’m sorry for that incident and for scaring you,” I said. “So stop being awkward around me, okay?”

 

She ope

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter