Prologue IX

The 13th Shadowchild
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

~ L U H A N ~

 

I was running. It felt like I had been running for ever since my life began. In a path I never knew, I continued running breathlessly. Blinding lights surrounded me. The sound of a baby’s laughter followed me like my shadow. I wasn’t running away from it. In fact, I felt calm and happy. But deep inside, I knew something was missing. I was searching for it. I was chasing her. And I ran. I never stopped. Then, I reached out my hand and—

 

“Hyung!”

 

I opened my eyes. It was another dream. I wanted to smile at myself. I had been having that dream ever since…who knows when. I blinked away the sleep that was threatening to conquer me again. I sat up straight and began to attune my senses. When I smelled something.

 

Her.

 

I looked up and saw Chanyeol beaming at me as he leaned on the doorframe.

 

“You must’ve been really tired to actually fall asleep in my bed.”

 

His bed? I looked around me. Definitely, it wasn’t my room. Fatigue must’ve taken over me when I arrived. Well, we just flew for twelve hours. It wasn’t like Kai was with us to teleport us from the other side of the planet to here. I sighed.

 

“I’m sorry,” I muttered, but Chanyeol just waved me off.

 

“It’s fine. Dinner’s almost ready. My cousin prepared the whole thing!” 

 

Chanyeol was so excited.

 

“Oh, really? What did Duizhang say?” I asked.

 

This time, he laughed. “They fought, of course! You know Duizhang, he never backs down, especially when it regards with his territory.”

 

“I bet Kyungsoo and Yixing—“

 

“Sunmi totally won them over. Like I said, she prepared every thing. Now get your off my bunk. Sehun seems to have something to announce over dinner.”

 

Chanyeol left with a shrug, burying his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

 

True enough, I heard the others from here. They were loud. Kai and Kyungsoo were still bickering, Suho trying to appease them. Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Xiumin, and Chen were all laughing like there was no tomorrow. And as usual, Kris and Sehun were the most silent. Then I heard Yixing’s voice. He was talking to her.

 

I knew I should get up and join the chaos outside but I was too contained by this sea of emotions. Out of all of us here, I was the only one who won’t be able to act normally. I was sure of it. I mean, I loved Sunmi. Not as a sister. I never saw her as that. And imagining her with Kris—I balled my fists and told myself, Come on, Luhan, this doesn’t make any sense.

 

I shook my head. Nothing made sense. I was the only who knew everything. The past—the history—that dated back to thousands of years ago that only I and Sooman could remember. This was seriously a huge burden I was carrying on my shoulders.

 

She was never mine in the first place. And I would always watch her slip through my fingers every time I attempted to get close with her. It had always been that way.

 

I was so deep in thought when I heard a voice calling my name. It shook me. I wasn’t even mentally prepared for it.

 

“Sunmi.” Her name came out as a whisper. Saying her name was like magic. How many years had it been since I last called her name? I couldn’t even remember.

 

“So…you’re Luhan?” she asked, tilting her head to the side.

 

I nodded.

 

“Come with us or no food we’ll be left for you!” She was smiling at me. Right, she couldn’t remember me. Still.

 

I forced a smile. “I’m coming.”

 

She walked ahead of me. I stood up lazily and followed her, watching her back. Even after all those reincarnations, she had never changed. And maybe she never will. And maybe destiny never will. I’d always end up to be the loser. Waiting for her hand, when she would give it to someone else. Because even in those past lifetimes we had, it had always been him.

 

Him. My best friend. The one who also held a piece of my heart.

 

I sat on an empty chair just across from Sehun. They were already happily digging in. Steak. While we weren’t allowed to drink human blood, we were allowed to haunt for wild animals in the forest and to eat their meat raw.

 

“You’re late, hyung!” Tao whined, which made me laugh.

 

I shrugged. “I was having fun sleeping though.”

 

Kris smirked beside me. “Look at you, sleeping all the time and refusing to eat. You wanna die?”

 

“You know I won’t die from that.”

 

“Oh, yes, you will. Or, maybe…?”

 

Kris looked me in the eye and I knew exactly what he was thinking. He was trying to tease me with my sister again. “Don’t even think about it, Wufan.”

 

Kris shrugged. “If you say so…”

 

I grabbed my fork and my knife and feasted on the meal before me. I had to say, it was delicious. Chanyeol was right. Sunmi was a pro in terms of culinary. I smiled to myself, which Yixing saw unfortunately because he raised an eyebrow at me and smiled back.

 

“So!” Suho piped in. “Sunmi knows each and every one of us by now. Luhan, have you introduced yourself yet?”

 

“She woke me up,” I replied.

 

“Yeah, we were so busy getting to know each other while you were so busy snoring so loudly in your room. We could hear it even from the sala,” Chen said.

 

I blushed. “I do not snore. Kris does!”

 

“Hey! I only speak during my sleep. I do not snore. If there’s someone, then that’s Baekhyun.”

 

“Wha—How the hell did I get into this?” Baekhyun complained.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter