The Meeting (Pt. 1)

The Next Door

Baekhee ran up to her bedroom and sat on the edge of her bed, dumbfounded. She totally did not expect Luhan to have suspected something about her dad. She thought it was going to be a long time when he and Kyungsoo would find out, and not this early. Baekhee shook her head vigorously. No. This can’t be. Hopefully Luhan isn’t smart enough. And he doesn’t tell his brother. She grabbed her towel and headed to the bathroom for a quick shower before the guest would arrive.

 


“Can’t you hurry up? Clear up the table! The guest is arriving,” Mrs Hwang scolded the maids. Baekhee looked at her mother and sighed silently to herself. Sometimes she wished Mrs Hwang would treat the maids with a little bit more respect. But what do you expect, Hwang Baekhee? It’s society. People these days are trying to flaunt their power. The doorbell rang, and one of the maids rushed to the door, and led the guest into the living room. “Ah! Mr Kim! It’s so nice to see you again.” Wow, mom. I’m convinced that you’re happy to see him. “Mr Kim, please follow me to the basement. My office is down there.”

Baekhee followed them, looking through the sales report that her mother passed to her earlier. Hmm… Sales are looking good. But we need to do better than this. Her phone vibrated, indicating that she had received a message. She blinked at her screen, reading the message from Luhan.

 

“Baekhee, do you mind meeting me later? After your meeting? At the nearby café, 4pm.”

 

Baekhee looked at the time displayed on her phone. 1.30pm. The meeting is expected to end after 2 hours. Enough time to prepare. She typed a quick reply, agreeing to meet him.

 

“Hwang Baekhee, please keep your phone away. This meeting is really important and you know we can’t have any distraction.” Mrs Hwang told Baekhee sternly. She nodded and placed her phone in her pocket.

 

She sat beside her mother, while Mr Kim sat on the other side. “Baekhee, can you tell us about the sales report?” Baekhee looked at her mother and nodded her head briefly, before opening to explain the charts.

 


Mrs Hwang shook hand with Mr Kim, smiling widely. “Thank you so much for coming here to discuss this with us. And also, thank you for agreeing to merge together.” Mr Kim smiled back in response, “It’s my pleasure. I look forward to working with you in the near future. But don’t you think your daughter is a little too young for this? She should be focusing in her studies, and not poking her nose in these kinds of things.” God. Does it even matter? I’m coping well; I’m top in the entire school, thank you. Mrs Hwang shook her head and smiled again. “Children should be taught when they are young, shouldn’t they? She’ll be taking over the company when I find that she’s responsible and good enough, so it’s better to let her know what her future would be.” “Ah, I totally forgot that you liked to think ahead. I’ll make my move first.” Mr Kim said, and stepped out.

 

Mrs Hwang looked at her daughter and hugged her tightly. “I’m so glad this actually worked out. Would you like to go out and celebrate?”

 

“Mum, I totally forgot to tell you this. I’m meeting Luhan at the nearby café at 4pm. Maybe we could eat out for dinner to celebrate?”

 

“That seems like a good idea. I’ll tell the maids not to prepare dinner for tonight. See you later, darling. Now head along, Baekhee. I don’t wish to waste your time.”

 


Baekhee sat at one of the tables close to the windows, looking around for signs of Luhan. She sighed silently; that guy was 10 minutes late. A sudden tap on her shoulder made Baekhee jump a little. She turned around to face Luhan, their faces a few inches apart. She blushed, and then cleared . “What took you so long?” “I was busy. Just like you.” Luhan backed away and sat across Baekhee.

 

“What is it you want to talk about?”

 

“Your dad. There’s something you’re hiding from us, isn’t it?”

 

“I didn’t expect you to notice anything. And don’t expect an answer from me. Because I’m not going to tell you anything.”

 

“Oh, then I’m not leaving until you tell me about it.”

 

“Really? Stay here all you want, then. I’ve got an appointment later at 6.30pm, so hurry up with waiting.”

 

“I’ll stay here all I want, Hwang Baekhee. And you’re not leaving this place till I get an answer. And I hope you like bubble tea. We can sit here all day, drinking bubble tea and waiting for your answer.” Luhan ordered two iced milk tea with pearls, and stared at Baekhee, waiting.

 

She sipped gently on her drink, “Mm. Not bad. This is just nice for me.”

 

“I asked you about your dad. Not what you thought about your ing drink.” Luhan growled, his eyes narrowed at Baekhee.

 

She slammed her hand on the table. “Since when did you become a ing nosy person? I always thought that you were the type that wouldn’t dig any further; won’t interrupt a person’s private life. Looks like my assumption was wrong.”

 

“Of course your assumption was wrong. Looks can be deceiving, can’t they?”

 

Baekhee ignored Luhan and called Kyungsoo.

 

“Kyungsoo oppa, do you mind going to school tomorrow by yourself tomorrow?”

 

I don’t mind, Baekhee-ah. We’ll see you in homeroom tomorrow morning, then. Oh yeah. Do you know where my brother is? It’s getting dark.”

 

“Your brother is with me now. He wants to talk to me about something. Apologize to your parents on my behalf, okay? Luhan might be returning a little late.”

 

“Ah, arraseo. Have fun!”

 

“Yah, Kyungsoo oppa!”  Baekhee hung up and looked at Luhan.

 

“Calling Sehun and Kyungsoo ‘oppa’ and not me, when I’m a hyung to them? What is this; Baekhee’s logic?”

 

“You don’t deserve to be called that by me. You should be happy that I don’t call the other 8 ‘oppa’.”

 

Luhan smiled. Yeah I should be grateful. Too bad, Baekhyun. “So spill the beans.”

 

“I give up. It’s 45 minutes till my dinner appointment. What do you want to know about him?”

 

“Everything.”

 

“He doesn’t belong to the Hwang family anymore. You have no idea how much I hate that guy we are talking about.”

 


So, hi again. XD WEEEE ANOTHER CLIFFHANGER. I actually have the next chapter done, but like what I said previously, I don’t want you guys to think that I update quickly. >< I’ll upload the next on Sunday, maybe? See you guys soon!

-Hajir