Lost

The Next Door

Baekhee strolled the few meters home, thinking about the hour spent with the Xi family. They’re not as bad as I thought… but maybe I’m just being too soft to them. She stiffened a little. Baekhee stepped into the house, removing her shoes. “Mom, I’m home!” She yelled, hoping Mrs Hwang could hear here. When no response came, she got a little worried. Where’s she? She walked up the stairs, taking two steps at a time until she reached the third floor where the main bedroom was. When Baekhee heard the running water from the shower, she heaved a sigh of relief. She walked back down to the second floor, walking in the short walkway that led to her room. She lay on the bed, sighing quietly. God damn it. I still have homework to do. Baekhee got up and sat at her study table. She was going to sleep for the entire of tomorrow, and she wasn’t going to let homework get in her way.


 

Back at the Xi household, Luhan and Kyungsoo were talking about Baekhee. “She seems nice.” Luhan stated. The shorter one nodded his head in agreement. “Luhan and Kyungsoo! Come to our room, we have ask to tell you!” Mdm Xi shouted from the second floor. Both of them shared a quizzical look with each other before walking up to their parents’ room. They saw their parents sitting on the bed. “Sons, we want to know whether you’re coping here.” The brothers looked away. The next door neighbour’s daughter is nice, but I still hate it here. Kyungsoo faked a smile, before nudging his brother to do the same. “Yeah, but we have to get used to our new environment first.” Mr Xi smiled at his sons and motioned them to go back to their room.

 

            “Yah! What was that for?!” Luhan yelled at Kyungsoo after closing the door. Kyungsoo shrugged.

            “We have to convince them. Do you want to move to another place if they find out we don’t like it here?”

            “Then let’s move all we want! I don’t give a single !”

            “Don’t say that. No matter what, mom will never go back there! You should know how hurt she was when she found out you were dating that lowly girl!"

“You don’t say anything bad about her, ing bastard. Who does that woman you call ‘mom’ think she is? Judging people just from what she sees? She thinks she can do anything!” Luhan yelled before flopping on the floor. Kyungsoo just looked at his brother. Though he was younger than the taller one, he was definitely much more matured that his brother. Kyungsoo breathed heavily and sat on the bed. “Look. I don’t know what you see in her. But things can never go our way. Life isn’t fair, Luhan. You understand?” “Things have never been our way. Especially being born in the Xi family.” Luhan mumbled the last part, but Kyungsoo heard it. He sighed and looked out of the window. When Luhan realized what he just said, it was too late. Kyungsoo got up and stormed out of the room, leaving Luhan staring after his brother. He still can’t let go of his past, eh?

 

Kyungsoo marched to the living room and leaned against the wall. Why, that lil’ er. Of all things he can say, he says that. He turned around to face the wall and rammed his left fist into it. A loud thud echoed throughout the house, but his parents were too busy to bother about it. A few maids from the yard rushed back into the house to find the source of the sound. They found Kyungsoo with his fist still on the wall, his knuckles slightly bleeding just from one punch. “Y-young master?” One of the maids spoke up. “Leave me alone.” Kyungsoo said in low voice, but loud enough for all of them to hear. “But you’re-” “I said. Leave. Me. Alone.” He cut in. The maids went back out to the yard to continue their job. He yelled and punched the wall again, ripping open the wounds from the previous punch.

 

Kyungsoo sighed heavily and ran his right hand in his tousled hair. He ignored the blood trickling down his knuckles and left the house, to where, he too doesn’t know where. He looked around. He isn’t familiar with the neighbourhood, but he was confident he’ll reach home in the end, in time for dinner. Kyungsoo decided to take the right wing of the pavement and started walking. His knuckles still hurt, but he didn’t care. It was worth it. He took it a deep breath and glanced at his surroundings. Quiet, peaceful and serene. The trees framed the bungalows nicely, making the place look perfect. He looked at the house across the road and beside him. I bet the people living in it have a perfect family and a perfect life. The words ‘family’ and ‘perfect’ made his blood boil, but he closed his eyes and took another deep breath. Kyungsoo had to control his temper, or the neighbours would find his blood on their fence and his knuckles would be bruised even more.  

 

He took a left turn and walked another few meters and turned to the left again. Kyungsoo looked up at the sky. It was turning dark; most likely it was going to rain. He turned around to go back, but reality dawned on him. He didn’t pay any attention to his surroundings and now he was lost. Calm down. You’re only gonna make things worse. He looked around and walked on. Maybe he could look for Baekhee and she could bring him back, but it was definite he will never find her at this time of the day. He did not have his watch or phone with him; how was he going to contact his parents? While deep in thought, Kyungsoo missed the last left turn and walked further on. He looked around. He didn’t remember this part of the neighbourhood. . Now I’m really lost.

 


I’m soooooooo sorry this update took a long time! I was really busy (I owed my teacher 4 pieces of homework, on top of the average school work, daily revision and tuition homework. Typical asian student, eh? XD) And I was on a writer’s block too. >< But still, I managed to update, right?! ^^ And in case some of you are wondering, the italics in purple are Luhan's thoughts and the ones in blue are Kyungsoo's thoughts. :) Baekhee's thoughts are in darkish turquoise and also in italics.

-Hajir