Cracks

The Next Door

Answers. That was all Kyungsoo wanted. Was it really that hard? He doesn’t think so. I’m sixteen this year. It’s about time I found out about my parents. All these years, he still hasn’t found out why the social workers did not want to release any information till the child was sixteen. Kyungsoo was so sure that he was matured enough to understand everything, but they were dead set on their rules. He turned sixteen in January, but he didn’t know why he had dragged till November.

 

After the gang had left, he sat in his room quietly. His homework was left on his study table, untouched for hours ever since Luhan had invited friends over. It was strange, judging that he would have already cleared everything from his table, with worksheets placed neatly into his folder. He heard a knock on the door, but he unsure of whether to let the person in or not. Anyways, it’s basic courtesy to allow the person to come in, since he took the trouble to knock.

 

“Come in.”

 

Luhan entered the room, and sat down beside his dongsaeng.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah. You dragged this for months. When are you going back for the information?” He stared at the floor, not really taking in anything of what his hyung had said.

 

“Kyung? Do Kyungsoo, are you with me?”

 

“O-oh. You were saying?”

 

Luhan sighed, before opening his mouth to speak again. “When do you exactly plan to get all the information?”

 

---

 

Kyungsoo closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. His jacket hung from his shoulders, his scarf wrapped snugly around his neck, and his gloves were on. He opened his eyes again and stepped out. He was ready for this. He was sure he was ready for the truth. He had been hurt so many times before, so this wouldn’t be an exception. Right? Kyungsoo shook his head, pushing that thought to the back of his mind.

 

It was surprisingly cold, even though it was still in November. But still no snow. Mother Nature and her crazy weathers. The air stung his lungs every time he inhaled, and his cheeks were tainted with a bright shade of red. He pushed his hands further into the pockets of his jeans, if that was possible. The gloves were not helping at all, causing him to grumble in annoyance. Stupid pieces of .

 

Mdm Xi had offered to provide transportation for him, but he had refused, saying that he wanted to ‘take in the sights of Seoul on foot, rather than in a car’. Jeez. Should have taken up her offer. Do Kyungsoo, you’re an idiotic tard.

 

---

 

He stood in front of the orphanage, contemplating whether to man up and go in, or to be a and run away. The main reason why he lived to this day was to find out why his biological parents had left him, but he wasn’t sure of what to do with his life after finding out the truth. A middle-aged woman emerged from the door, and narrowed her eyes at him.

 

“Do K-kyungsoo?” Her voice trembled, but Kyungsoo assumed it was the cold air that made her like this.

 

“Mrs Lee? Is that-” Before he could complete his sentence, the woman had rushed forward and engulfed him in a bear hug.

 

“Oh my, Kyungsoo! How are you? We’ve been so worried when you stopped visitng for two years!” Mrs Lee lets go of him and smiles genuinely. Kyungsoo hasn’t seen a smile like that for a long time.

 

Mrs Lee led him into the orphanage, and into her office. Her table had piles of documents of the children staying here, her stationary all kept in the pen holder. There was a huge bookshelf holding many books, and Kyungsoo wondered how it still has not toppled over yet. He sat on one of the red sofas Mrs Lee had in the room, and looked out of the French window at the end of the office. This orphanage was well-known for providing the best accommodation for the orphans, and Mrs Lee’s office doesn’t state otherwise.

 

She came back in with a plate of butter cookies and a glass of warm milk and set it in front of the shivering boy. “Eat up, my dear. I hope the milk is warm enough. I’ll go get your files.” Kyungsoo grabbed the glass, dipped a cookie in and ate it, savoring the wonderful taste.

 

Mrs Lee stood at the bookshelf, looking for his file. She was unsure whether to let Kyungsoo know of his past; it was one of the worst ever in the history of the orphanage.

She sighed, knowing that she can’t defy the rules. She grabbed his file and took small steps to sit beside him.

 

“Kyungie, you have to make sure that you’re ready for this. I can’t reveal anything until I’m sure that you’re mentally prepared.” He smiled at the nickname that Mrs Lee gave him when he was still a little child, and nodded.

 

“I’m ready, Mrs Lee. I’m always ready.”

 

Mrs Lee took in a deep breathe, and opened to speak. “Kyungsoo-ah, you must know that your history is one of the worst. A case we have never encountered before. All the kids here have a decent past, with their biological parents leaving them at the doorstep and things like that. They leave information about their own child and such before abandoning them here. But yours… it’s totally different. I’m really sorry, Kyungsoo, but…” Mrs Lee paused.

 

“What is it, Mrs Lee? What is it?” He started to panic, worrying that she might changed her mind about telling him his past.

 

“Kyungsoo, don’t panic. I’ll still tell you everything; I can’t go against the rules. Kyungie, the truth is,” she closed her eyes, “you don’t have a past.”

 

Crack. That was his heart breaking.

 

“We were unable to trace your parents.”

 

Another crack. That was his dream of finding his parents shattering.

 

“Someone found you on a bench in a park, and brought you here. It wasn’t your parents. We are not even sure that your parents are still alive.”

 

Crack. That was his life being destroyed just by mere words.

 

--

 

DUNDUNDUN. The truth is revealed!

I told you it was gonna get sad and emo and like that. xD

For those who went back to the forward to find clues but didn’t manage to find it, look at Luhan’s and Kyungsoo’s surname. Xi (I know that isn’t even his surname or part of his name but whatever. It’s just for this fanfic) and Do. Does it ring a bell in your head? You can ask me why Mdm Xi didn’t changed Kyungsoo’s surname; I’m not gonna write a long explanation here if no one is curious ;;

I’ll update again next week. ^^

 

-Hajir

P.S. Have you heard the songs of exo’s Christmas album? Which is your favourite song? Mine is Christmas Day and First Snow. ^^ Kyungsoo’s voice in The Star (Chinese version) is freaking y I cannot-- sobs. But I think Kai and Sehun should really get more lines. DEAR SM, SEHUN HAS LIKE, ONLY ONE LINE IN THE ENTIRE ALBUM.