Kai + Taemin - In Your Embrace

We Are One

In Your Embrace

Main Pairing: Kai + Taemin

Side Pairing: -

...xXx...

He isn't quite sure when it started nor is he aware of how or why.

All he knows is that suddenly, everything Taemin did became perfect. Even if Taemin made a mistake, it seemed all too endearing. Something was wrong, he felt, but strangely, he doesn't mind - doesn't hate how his heart pounds louder than even the screams of their fans when he lifts his shirt or how his thoughts just oh-so-innocently wanders to what his friend was doing at the most random of moments.

"Hey Kai. Let's go," Taemin urges, hooking his arm around his shoulders as he always did. His own arm comes up by habit and he places it on Taemin's shoulders.

"Alright alright," he responds, sarcastic with his embarrassment. He could tell his ears were red and to cover it, he turns slightly towards Taemin, but he's taken aback by how close their faces are. He turns away and speaks again. "S-S-So what are we doing today?"

If Taemin notices his stutter he doesn't say anything. Instead, he smiles and responds.

"Today I'm thinking some basketball and then a cafe date."

"A d-date?" he stutters again, the word having an entirely new meaning recently.

"Yeah," Taemin easily agrees, blinking. "A date like we always have."

"Right," Kai states quickly. "Just like always."

Before long, he's barely thinking about anything else other than the ball and the game, one-on-one with Taemin. They're both sweaty soon, their bangs matted to their foreheads, and shirts soaked.

He moves completely by instinct, blocking Taemin with one hand outstretched while the other bounces the ball steadily, his back to the hoop. He swings past, his back feeling the pressure of Taemin's surprisingly strong guard as he swings his hand and the ball upwards while jumping, tripping mid-step and falling downward, ball flying on-course but too high.

He groans when he lands, not hurt but definitely surprised. He opens his eyes, closed during the fall, and stops breathing for a second. Faintly, he can hear the basketball bounce against the ground somewhere on the court.

His face is so close to Taemin's and his hands are barely holding him up. Taemin opens his own eyes with a sound of pain and he scrambles off immediately.

"S-S-Sorry," he stutters, holding out a hand to help Taemin up. Taemin smiles as though he's not hurt even though Kai knows he isn't that light and takes his offered hand. 

"Too bad about that last shot," Taemin jokes. "That was the last point you needed."

"Forget about that. Are you hurt?" Kai asks, craning his neck and turning Taemin around to check his back. 

"I'm fine you worrywart," Taemin laughs, grabbing Kai's arms and pulling it around himself. 

"Are you sure?" Kai questions suspiciously, starting to feel the burn as his cheeks heat up from the light embrace. 

"Positive," Taemin answers firmly. "Let's go get to the cafe now. I'm tired of trying to guard your dancing ."

Kai laughs at his suggestion and smirks.

"You know you love me," he jokes as usual. Taemin's hands tighten on his own for a second and finally Taemin turns his head.

"Of course. Now let's get going," he urges, beaming. Kai smiles back and the two are quick to head to the nearby cafe - their cafe.

"The usual?" the female behind the counter asks calmly while the other customers gawk because it's freaking SHINee's Taemin and EXO's Kai.

"Yup," Taemin chirps as the female leads them to their table, a somewhat secluded table in the corner. They take a bit of time for fan service - signing a few things, taking a few pictures, things like that - but the female - the owner of the cafe - is quick to notice and lectures the customers for bothering her 'other customers' even though they were 'normal people.' 

The situation is calmed within minutes and the two are relaxing, making small talk as they wait for their drinks. They laugh like usual and for a moment, their laughter dies down into silence and he admires Taemin's side profile as he looks out the window and at the sky, eyes lazily lidded and light shining on his face just so. His eyes glance at Kai before he swivels his head, smiling.

"Falling in love with me or something?" he asks, head on his hand. Kai turns pink at his question and for getting caught staring. He opens his mouth to explain, but their drinks arrive just then and he's saved as Taemin's distracted. He fans himself as he drinks, still getting over his shock from the surprise question. Taemin looks at his drink and Kai's before smiling.

"Still drink sweet things?" he teases. "You have such a kid's taste."

"Hey. I just don't like bitter things," Kai defends, turning pink again as he ducks his head with embarrassment. 

"Sure," Taemin jokes, smiling. And they talk again, smiling and laughing until their cheeks hurt.

Days later, Kai is asked to do a couple dance with another SM artist for a special on a program. He declines politely at first but ends up doing it anyways. They surprise him then by saying it's a dance with another male to K.Will's "Please Don't..." to show fans that gender doesn't matter in love.

He's relieved at first but worried too since he isn't sure who it is and it's a couple dance, but quickly he becomes ecstatic when Taemin walks in through the doors.

Taemin brightens immediately and Kai jumps up to greet him. They're quick to make a dance, throwing in soft moves - waves and light touches to drive the fans nuts. They decide to end the dance in an embrace in such a way that makes it seem like they're kissing but aren't - it was a couple dance after all.

They practice for days on end and Kai can't help but wish it'd go on forever - the daily meetings, the light touches, the easy yet difficult dance that fits the romantic mood of the song. He can't help but also notice how after the couple song practice has begun, Taemin and him are closer than ever, especially physically - always hugging or holding hands - and he wishes it would last forever.

The performance finally arrives and he stands nervously. This would be SM's first show of support towards same-gender couples and they were the ones to show it.

"It'll be fine," Taemin mutters, squeezing Kai's hand lightly. Kai gives a more relaxed smile back. He trusts Taemin just as Taemin trusts him.

The dance starts separate, mirror images of each other before they join up in the middle, pulling off a few actual couple couple moves like moving their faces together and brushing each other's hands and especially a lot of fierce eye contact. He knows that the fans in the audience are shouting, but he can't quite make out what. 

What he is aware of, however, is how Taemin's more bold - more daring - then in their practices and it's taking all he has to focus on dancing than how Taemin's touch lingers longer than before and how Taemin's eyes smolder under the lights or how Taemin is so much closer than when in practice.

The ending comes up and Kai pulls Taemin toward him just like during practice, their arms wrapping around each other, but unlike practice, Taemin's lips actually meet his and he suddenly becomes frozen stiff. Taemin pulls away and unlike the smile that he always gave during practice, he smirks and his lips. Kai is sure he's bright red right now because that was totally unexpected and there's a camera right there and-

"Sorry girls! Kai's mine!" Taemin declares over his shoulder and finally Kai unfreezes to bury his head in Taemin's neck and groan. Taemin laughs and Kai realizes Taemin had known of his feelings the whole time.

"Jerk," Kai whispers and Taemin just laughs again.

...xXx...