Hiding

Coffee shop Princess

Krystal POV:

            I woke up with a huge headache. I groaned and sat up slowly. How did I get home? The last thing I remember was drinking some soda at the bar of Sica’s party. I dragged myself out of bead and i8nto the shower. Once I was done I walked downstairs to see Sica already there. Oh great here comes the lecture.

            “Krystal what happened last night?” Jessica asked firmly as I grabbed my head as I looked for a water bottle.

            “I don’t remember everything. All I remember was ordering a soda at the bar and wanting to go home.” I twisted the cap of the water bottle off and took a sip. I sat down next to Sica and she wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

            “It must have had some alcohol in it. Most people there drink a lot baby sis it’s not your fault.” She chuckled lightly as she rubbed my back. “Your lucky one of your friends was there otherwise you would have passed out at the bar.” I choked.

            “What friend? I don’t have friends Sica. You know that.” I said looking at her confused. She just smirked.

            “She brought you home and carried you up to bed baby sis. I couldn’t take you home because of all the bad publicity it would have caused.” She said like it was no big deal. I glared at her.

            “Who took me home Sica?”

            “I think her name was Amber.” I looked at Sica confused again.

            “Why was Amber there?” I questioned.

            “Her older sister is the photographer that took the pictures for the ad,” Sica shrugged. I sighed and went back up to my room. I was so happy I had no classes because I wouldn’t be able to concentrate with this head ache in class. After a few hours of hydrating and resting I started to feel better so I decided to go to work.  I walked to the coffee shop and signed in and greeted Victoria and Sulli. I took my place and started making coffee for the customers. After a while Amber walked in at her regular time. She smiled and quickly walked over when she saw me at the register.

            “Hey Krystal how do you feel?”

            “I feel better.” I said firmly while looking down and finishing an order for another customer. “What would you like to order?”

            “A non fat latte as usual Krystal.” Amber said and smiled. I just nodded and made her coffee. I got this funny feeling around her. Somehow it didn’t feel like I had to hide as much. Even though I have hardly ever talked to her she seemed nice so I decided to give her a chance. I decided to step out of my comfort zone. I did owe her a little at least. She brought me home and made sure I was safe, and she didn’t even know me. If Amber could give me a chance then I should give her one too.

            “Umm, thank you for yesterday.” I said shyly as I made her latte. She just grinned at me as I handed her finished latte. “Hey V-Victoria, can I take a short break?” I asked shyly as looked over at my boss who was grinning at Amber and us. She gave me a thumbs up.

            “Of course Krystal. You have 20 minutes.” Sulli and Victoria smiled to themselves and blushed slightly as I led Amber to one of the tables to talk. Amber looked shocked when I took her arm to sit with her.

            “So how was your day Krystal?” she asked sipping her coffee.

            “It was good I guess. I woke up with a really bad hangover though.” I said smiling a bit. Amber laughed and offered me some of her coffee. I shook my head no. “I’m around coffee all day and all week.” I explained. She just shrugged her shoulders and took another sip.

            “So how is your sister?” she asked.

            “Sica is well she just wondered how I got so drunk last night.” I awkwardly shifted in my seat.  Amber chuckled and shrugged.

            “She was really worried about you yesterday I understand why she was, you passed you as I was trying to get you to her.” I tilted my head to the side and just watched her smile. I noticed that when she talked with me her smile was brighter and in her eyes she was smiling as well. When she talked to others it seemed more forced. I wondered why that was. I wonder what she was hiding and what feelings she had locked up inside.

            “Hey Krystal are you there?” Amber said chuckling waving her hands in front of my face. I blushed a little and nodded. Damn it Krystal you weren’t alone anymore.

            “Sorry I was thinking. I’m not used to talking to people for a long time.” I said then laughed. I sounded so stupid.

            “It’s ok.” Amber just smiled at me as she finished her latte.

            “Krystal break is over!” Victoria yelled from the back room.

            “Ok, Bye Amber ill talk to you later ok?” I said as I got up and pushed in my chair.

            “Yeah sure Krystal, you can call or text me too if you still have my number.” I smiled and nodded as I walked behind the counter. After that day Amber and I talked a lot. I always took my break with her and I texted and called her a lot. We started to become close friends and even hung out for lunch at school. I started to let go of the Ice princess thing. Because of Amber people started talking to me instead of about me. I was happy and finally I could let go. Of course I could never date anyone yet but I could at least trust people enough to have friends. I didn’t have to be the outcast anymore. I had people who worried about me when I didn’t come to school and people who even wanted to hang out with me after work. At first I always said no unless Amber came but eventually I gained the courage to go out by myself. Sica was so proud of me the first time I asked her for help picking out what to wear. Everything returned to normal before Kai, and before the pain.

Amber POV:

            Krystal and I became super close after the whole party incident. We hung out at school and always had coffee after school at the coffee shop she worked at. I introduced her to Henry and all my other friends and they loved her. It made me happy to see her smile more, and even though I had to share her now I was happy for her. Every time I was away from Krystal I started to slip up. Walking home by myself, and even walking to the coffee shop alone was hard for me. The thoughts of Jonghyun came back and I couldn’t handle it sometimes. I started slipping back into my depression and started to not want to go outside of the house. I shut myself off and even stopped playing basketball for a while. The only thing I couldn’t miss was meeting up with Krystal at the coffee shop. Eventually Krystal found out. She saw how I was. She came to my house unexpectedly and Jackie let her in. she opened my unlocked door and came inside to find me curled up in bed crying. I tried to act happy for her but of course it didn’t work. She saw through it right away and I had to tell her how depressed I really was. I thought she would leave me or never want to talk to me but it was the opposite. She came over all the time just to talk. It was the best feeling ever to know that it was ok to not be happy, that I could be depressed in front of someone and not be afraid of them leaving me.  

            “How did your brother die Am?” Krystal asked one day while we were just lying on my bed side by side. I stiffened and looked at her. I sighed. It was time to let it all out. If it was with Krystal I didn’t mind.

            “We were kids he was a year older than me and we were always together. One day we were being stupid and we were playing basketball in the street. I knew we weren’t supposed to but who ever really listened to their parents? “I sighed and took a deep breath trying to hold it together. “He threw the ball too hard and I ran to go get it. A-a car came by too fast at me and he turned and pushed me out of the way.” I felt the tears streaming down my face as I remembered watching my brother die. “H-he always protected me even in school against bullies. I guess it was just instinct to push me out of the way. Once I realized what was happening I held my brother as he slipped away. I couldn’t do anything. I was helpless and by the time the ambulance came he was gone.” I was shaking and I couldn’t stop the tears. “After Jong passed I was alone. He was my best friend and it was so hard to let him go. So I didn’t. I kept everything inside. I didn’t want people to worry about me because I thought I was fine, I made sure to smile all the time and act like everything was ok but-“I tried to continue but Krystal stopped me.  She just wrapped her arms around and let me cry. She said nothing she just rubbed my back and let me grieve for my brother. Finally in ten years I could let it all out. Once I could breathe again I saw her smile a little. I brushed some of the lose hair out of her face and cupped her face in my hand. We stayed like that for a long time. Krystal buried her head into my chest and we fell asleep together. Right before I closed my eyes I whispered in her ear.

Krystal POV:

            “I love you my coffee shop Princess.” I heard her whisper before we fell asleep. I smiled and kissed her cheek as she fell asleep.

            “I love you too llama.” I whispered and joined her in dreamland.