Reached

Claimed and Coveted
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER 9[/CONTENTID1]

 

 

 

[CONTENTID2]REACHED[/CONTENTID2]

 

 

 

[CONTENTID3]After fading in and out of consciousness countless of times, that moment was the longest he was awake to form any coherent thought; or was he awake? Jong In was utterly confused. It was as if he was trapped somewhere in the middle of the two realms.

 

Darkness still filled his vision. His mind is still his own but he couldn't feel his arms and legs. Lifting a limb was like lifting lead. Rolling to his side, Jong In discovered his whole body weighed a ton. He willed his body to move, his mind straining with the effort, but it was no use. He was numb and heavy but at the same time light as a feather, falling down ever so slowly in a neverending abyss of darkness.

 

Frustrated, a strangled sound vibrated in his throat. And that gave him pause. He can't move, he can't speak... And after all his struggles, he felt tired - so tired, he was starting to slip again into unconsciousness. This time, he wasn't so sure he'd wake up again. Jong In fought the tendrils of sleep with everything that was in him but their gentle carress was too much to resist. He held on but he was fighting a losing battle.

 

Is this the end for me?

 

He kept his eyes open for one second longer despite seeing nothing but inky blankness before he finally surrendered.

 

"Jong In."

 

 

 

"Jong In, can you hear me?"

 

 

 

"Jong In, come back."

 

 

 

Soo Jin called his name incessantly but all she got was the rumbling of the black wolf's chest. The wolf had slumped its full weight on the ground and rested its massive head on her lap. It appeared contented, pleased with her minstrations but there was no sign of it transforming back to the silver wolf or her brother. She turned to Yun Hee with desperation in her eyes.

 

She was about to ask her if she was doing something wrong when the other girl shook her head. Yun Hee was sitting cross-legged across them, her back to the wall. Her friend had been a great help. She explained that she was projecting calm and peace and that somehow eased the tension inside the cave. Somehow, they were able to tame the beast and take away her fears.

 

But Yun Hee's empathy alone was not enough.

 

 

 

Soo Jin automatically tightened her hold on the wolf's neck upon hearing Yun Hee's voice. She came back for her and Soo Jin feared that the black wolf would go wild with rage once again.

 

"It's okay, miss. I am an omega, a submissive. A dominant will not be threatened by my presence." True enough, the wolf didn't even seem to notice Yun Hee. She wondered if she was also considered a submissive. There was no way she would be able to go near him, let alone hold him, if it saw her as a threat. 'But what was Yun Hee doing back here?'

 

"I am an empath. I feel other's emotions and also project my own," Yun Hee told her as though she read her thoughts. Hope flickered inside her. Finally, there was someone who knows what they were doing. Soo Jin could only sigh in relief and smile.  "Right now, he is feeling at ease with you. But if we want to bring the young master back, you have to coax it to retreat and let Jong In take control or call Jong In back, so he could dominate the wolf."

 

And that was exactly what she was doing. She had been calling for him, coaxing him, for what seemed like hours, but to no avail. Her legs cramped due to the lack of blood circulation and her back ached. Stabbing pains in her stomach reminded her that the last time she ate was during lunch. She was tired and getting sleepy.

 

The wolf purred and just one look at the massive head pinning her lap, Soo Jin could not bring herself to quit or give up. Not when her brother's life is in her hands.

 

"What do you usually do when you want him to do something?" Yun Hee's question had her reminiscing the past.

 

Her brother is sensitive and thoughtful. You hardly had to ask or tell him what to do. But there was that incident when Jong In was seventeen. He got so angry. His wolf went berserk, that even the strongest betas could not subdue him. He was fighting the Alpha command and their mother's pleas could not get through him. Her father had ordered her to stay with her younger siblings inside the house but she couldn't keep still hearing his wolf. So, she talked her way out, spared her shocked parents a glance and a guilty smile then marched up to her enraged brother, much to the horror of everyone. Yoochun - her guard who caved in to her pleas - helplessly kept a safe distance from the wolf but close enough to grab her.

 

Jong In's silver wolf stilled and looked her way. She reached out her open palm and everyone gasped as he trotted towards her. He let her pet his head. And when he came to, he earned a ticket to their father's study.

 

Later that night, her brother came to her room looking so apologetic and embarrassed. She spared him the awkwardness and talked to him as if nothing happened.

 

It had always been like that between them. Maybe it was because they were only a year apart that they understood each other more or maybe because they were friends too. Whatever it is, the bond between them is strong. It wasn't like the bond werewolves shared with each other, but a bond nonetheless.

 

Soo Jin its ears and the wolf cuddled closer to her, making her smile. Jong In does the same thing, especially whenever she is upset with him. That mere thought opened the doors to more memories of him.

 

It was then that she realized she was doing it wrong all along. She skipped an important detail. The reason why Jongin's silver wolf responded to her. Leaning closer, she whispered, "Kai." Open doors.

 

It's ears twitched and lifted its head from her lap. Finally. She looked into its eyes without fear and the wolf held her gaze. "I know you are mad because of what happened to us tonight," she said, her voice soothing like her caress. "And that the person responsible is still out there."

 

Kai growled deep and he tensed beneath her touch but she didn't lift her hand. "It's not your fault I got hurt. Stop being too hard on yourself. You fought to save me and you did."

 

His steady gaze never faltered and she was thankful for his undivided attention. "Now, I need you to do the same. Fight for me. Fight for your family. I need you. I need Jong In. I need both of you."

 

He rose to his full height but she didn't flinch. More deep growls came and he started shaking. Invisible energy emanated from him and his eyes that were a fiery red flashed and turned to molten amber then red again in a matter of seconds. The atmosphere around them pulsed and tingles ran up and down her back and limbs. But she held on.

 

 

 

"Kai, wake up. Come back to me."

 

 

 

"Kai."

 

Soo Jin... Kai shook off the dark haze that grew thick around him. Soo Jin. She remembered. In the spirit world, a name is sacred and holds power. As Jong In's wolf spirit guardian, only Jong In knew his name until that day.

 

"I know you are mad because of what happened to us. And that the person responsible is still out there."

 

Indescribable anger consumed him when he saw her bloodied back. He wanted to tear them apart and hear them scream in pain for what they did to her. Jong In tried to stop him but he shut him off. Great was his rage, something inside him snapped, and without warning, unleashed a power so strong, he couldn't contain it. Nothing mattered but retribution. Vengeance. The blood of her attackers.

 

Soo Jin, I promise. I won't let them get near you again. I will protect you. I will get better-

 

"It's not your fault I got hurt. Stop being too hard on yourself. You fought to save me and you did."

 

Soo Jin... How could you say that? You were hurt because I was weak! His heart ached at her words, as she tried to reassure him. He didn't deserve it. Indeed, he was enraged at the thought of those werewolves...but he was more mad at himself for failing her the moment she needed him. He was his mate for crying out loud! And he let them hurt her! It was unforgiveable. He'd do anything to make things right-

 

"Now, I need you to do the same. Fight for me. Fight for your family. I need you. I need Jong In. I need both of you."

 

Her plea struck him fast and hard. She needed him. Kai. And she needed Jong In. He could feel her reach out to him through their bond - a special link forged even before he knew they were mates. Her love and strength flooded him, so overwhelming, it swept away the madness inside him.

 

"Kai, wake up. Come back to me."

 

 

 

'Jong In, wake up.'

 

'Huh? Five minutes more.'

 

'Wake up, now. Can't you hear her calling for you?'

 

'Who?'

 

'I didn't realize how dumb you are.'

 

'Shut up, Kai.'

 

'Okay, suit yourself. Don't wake up then. I'll keep Soo Jin to myself.'

 

'Soo... SOO JIN!'

 

 

 

"I'm here." Her laughter was music to his ears - the sound of summer and spring. "Calm down, Jong In. I'm here."

 

She smiled at him and he felt warm all over. Her face was so bright and happy he could stare at her for a long time and want nothing. Time spent in the darkness was now a distant memory. But as he gazed at her loveliness, Jong In noticed the dried tears and her bloodshot eyes.

 

He shot up from his lying position, got dizzy but he didn't mind and sat cross-legged in front of her. The cool air against his skin made him aware of his state of undress and he hastily rearranged the blanket wrapped around him. is accepted in the pack and as much as he hated it, he wasn't the first male she saw . But he didn't want her to feel awkward around him.

 

He shifted his gaze back to her and flashes of what happened earlier came to him.

 

"I'm sorry," his voice croaked. Guilt filled him. He was surely a monster in her eyes now. Kai whimpered. But he wasn't going to point fingers. He was equally at fault. His throat felt coarse like sandpaper. "I-"

 

"Hey...nothing to apologize for," she said tenderly, reaching out to clasp his hands. He let her, too selfish to want her comfort when he didn't deserve it.

 

"I-"

 

"Stop it," she chastised in a playful manner, squeezing his hands gently. "Thank you." She was so sincere, it hurt. His heart hurt. Then her twinkling eyes glazed in concern. "How are you feeling?"

 

"I'm fine," he replied, hoping she was convinced. "I feel fine..." he repeated, albeit hesitatingly, hoping he was convinced. Her concern grew and was apparent in the way she regarded him. He didn't want that. He didn't want her to worry about him or anything. From now on, he would take care of her so that she wouldn't look at him the same way again.

 

He leaned closer and made a show of inspecting her face. "But you don't look so good," he blurted and leaned back as fast as the words left his mouth.

 

"Hey!!" she protested, tugging her hands from his grip. Soon, he was full out laughing as she failed to hit him, but it died down, when she stopped struggling and sulkingly said, "How could you tell a girl she looks ugly?!"

 

He panicked, berating himself for forgetting that a guy should not ever make a girl feel less pretty, let alone, say it out loud, especially if she was his mate. Jong In still held her hands as he frantically searched for words, "But it wasn't-"

 

His mind was still muddled with fear of her getting mad at him until he heard her giggle. "I was just kidding." She beamed at him and he breathed out in relief. She scared him. "Just a little-"

 

Her smile faded, the same time the light in her eyes dimmed. "Soo Jin! No! No..." Jong In's heart dropped to the pit of his stomach and Kai howled in pain. He was quick to catch her and he held her close to his chest. Streams of tears flowe

Please log in to read the full chapter