Reunion

Claimed and Coveted
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER 11[/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]REUNION[/CONTENTID2]

 

[CONTENTID3]The day for her to return home couldn't have arrived sooner. After much pleading and making so many promises, her father (and Jong In, because it seemed that she had to gain his approval as well) finally relented. It was a hard-earned victory against the overprotective men in her life that she had to give herself congratulatory pats on the back.

 

Being locked up inside the cave for two weeks made her miss her family terribly. Although Hyun Joong regularly checked up on her and Jong In stayed to keep her company, she still longed for the presence of her parents and younger siblings. She was supposed to spend time with them now that she finished her studies but life didn't go as planned. She told him this but her sentiment was met with an exaggerated outburst from her brother.

 

 

 

"Not yet," he said, with a shake of his head.

 

"Why not?" she asked in a tone closely resembling that of Choon Hee's.

 

"Because I-" She arched her brow and he quickly amended. "Dad said so." He met her stare and dared her to say otherwise.

 

But she heard enough. Apparently, her brother had something to do with her detention. She spun around, laid on her bed with her back to him and said, "Close the door when you leave."

 

A frustrated groan had her smiling to herself. He hates it when she does that. It wouldn't be long before he finally gives in.

 

"Quit acting like a child," he chastised and her smile turned into a scowl. She held her tongue.

 

"Soo Jin."

 

His reprimand was met with silence. He was supposed to be on her side. Why is he keeping her here?

 

The bed dipped and the silence was followed by a long-suffering sigh. "Please talk to me," he coaxed and she hated him for being so gentle with her so suddenly that she couldn't stay angry at him.

 

Slowly, she turned and looking up at him, asked, "Why am I not allowed to go back?"

 

"We've discussed this before," he sighed and gestured helplessly. "You are safer here and it would give dad peace of mind knowing that you are protected."

 

"That's the part I don't understand," she replied, a knot forming in her forehead. "I'd be safer inside the house where everyone is. Are you telling me you won't able to protect me if we move back?"

 

Her question, somehow, struck a nerve for she clearly heard him growl.

 

"I can. And will. Protect you," he declared with so much conviction, punctuating every word that pierced through her. His lips were pressed in a firm line and his eyes held hers with such intensity, she almost saw Kai looking back at her. Maybe because she did.

 

"I know you can," she said softly. "You always did. But-"

 

"-no more buts," he cut her abruptly and she jerked at the harshness of his voice. But it dissolved just as quickly with his plea, "What must I do... Am I not enough for you?"

 

 

 

She didn't know what to make of it. What did he mean by that? But she never got a chance to ask, for he left her room just after he uttered those words. Something must have been on his mind and she just made it worse by being difficult. 

 

No matter, she shook her head in thought, she would be seeing the rest of her family any moment now.  If he wants to talk about it, she'll listen but she won't prod. Two weeks were enough time to recuperate and she won't allow another day spent apart from them. Her back was still a bit sore and so are the bruises in her arms and legs, but she'll feel much better in her room, at home, with her family.

 

She already made her bed, took a shower and wore the dress Yun Hee prepared for her without protest. It was a pale yellow summer dress, sprinkled with blue flowers. At least, she included a pale blue cardigan to hide her wounds. Although she was comfortable in her sleeveless dresses inside the cave, she didn't think she'd want her family to see her bruises, especially her father. If Jongin turned into a massive black wolf in his anger, she shivered at the thought of what her father would transform into.

 

She was expecting to see her older brother but instead, five betas greeted her "Good Morning". Hyun Joong had his hands full ever since the lock down and so he sent his most trusted betas to her and Jong In back to the mansion- a decision which seemed to piss her brother. He made a valid point though. There was no need for guards since they would be using the cave tunnels and corridors. But then, they had to follow protocol, as Donghae explained. Jong In appeared to nearly bite off his head and so she stepped in, to diffuse the situation. But before she could say anything, her brother pulled her away.

 

Hence, the journey to the foot of the mountain was spent mostly in silence. Jong In was in a foul mood and once again, the cause was still unknown to her. She didn't want to bear the brunt of it so she kept mum until they reached the exit.

 

She almost ran upon seeing the metal door in her eagerness. And the betas somehow found it amusing and let out a few chuckles, only to be silenced by her brother. But she was too excited to leave the mountain to let him dampen her spirit.

 

The moment she stepped outside, the early morning sun almost blinded her. It took her a few seconds to adjust to the brightness. And once she did, she wished she had her camera with her. Jirisan was bursting with color, all vibrant and glittering under the sunlight. Her steps were hesitant, unsure where to go or where to look until Jong In took her hand and led her to their destination.

 

What she didn't quite expect was the crowd that gathered in front of the pack mansion, which was decked with festive decorations. Warmth instantly filled her eyes. She was deeply touched by the gesture as she scanned the crowd when she realized with a start that all these were not for her.

 

All the colors dulled. How silly of her to even think she deserved to come back after she ruined his 21st birthday, let alone have them welcome her with open arms. Halmeoni's words that night echoed in her head. Her dress was tainted with a scent that caused all unmated werewolves to lose their minds and claim her as theirs - her dress, on her person. 

 

Perhaps it was not such a good idea to go back. Now all she wanted was to curl up in her bed and hide. But that was not even an option, what with all eyes trained on them, on him, who was walking quietly but confidently beside her.

 

He had his neutral mask on and her worry grew. If only he would just tell her-

 

He turned to her all of a sudden and to her surprise, he smiled at her. She couldn't help but return it with her own.

 

"Are you feeling better now?" she asked hopefully.

 

 

 

Her question came unexpected. But this is Soo Jin. She could see right through him; if only she could see his heart or read his mind.

 

She was still anticipating his response and so he nodded, squeezing her hand. At the corner of his eye, he saw the slight shift in Hyun Joong's stance and how his father's jaw tensed a little before he schooled his expression. Surely, holding her hand is permitted. Otherwise, he would really lose it.

 

 

 

"Listen, I know that this is unfair to ask of you but you must understand... for her sake."

 

"Just say it, hyung," he said impatiently.

 

"You must not act on your... impulse," Hyun Joong began carefully. "When you are with her, you'd want to hold her, kiss her... mate with her. But you must-"

 

"-I know that," he growled, masking his embarrassment with defiance as he felt his cheeks burn. He'd never force anything on her.

 

"No, you don't," he said pointedly. "You must not give other weres reason to suspect that she is your mate. The council must not know. Not before her documents had been processed."

 

"Documents? Wha- what do you mean?" he asked dumbly, proving his brother's claim.

 

"Dad will appeal to have her adoption dissolved."

 

 

 

He felt a slight pressure on his hand and he was brought out of his musings, but not from the burden he carries, from the fact that his happiness came at a high price. How would she ever love him then - let alone forgive him, for taking away the family she ever loved. Every day, his guilt intensified, his emotions conflicted- anticipating and dreading the day she'd learn the truth.

 

Her worry-filled eyes were still locked on him and he squeezed her hand back.

 

"Jong In-"

 

She never got to finish what she was supposed to say.

 

The crowd closed in and he was left empty-handed.

 

 

 

Every greeting, every compliment was met with an appropriate response and a tight-lipped smile. Contrary to popular opinion, regarding his "ruined" birthday celebration - except for Soo Jin getting hurt and losing her first kiss to that jerk - he wouldn't have it any other way. He met his mate and spent time with her, which was any werewolf could have ever wanted.

 

And he would be eternally grateful if they let him go now - not that he didn't appreciate their efforts to put together another party for him. It's just not what he wanted, needed. He would have still been happy even without it.

 

The weather cooperated that day giving them lots of sunshine and a cool

Please log in to read the full chapter