Bait

Claimed and Coveted
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER FOUR[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]BAIT[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Jirisan was eerily silent as Jong In went deeper and higher into the mountain. His enhanced sense of hearing still picked up growls from the celebration grounds but it was unusual not to hear a single buzz from an insect or croak from a frog. Jirisan was never this quiet. But as he was about to dwell on how strange it was, her slight movement and the feel of her pressed against his back easily took his thoughts away from missing bugs and amphibians. It just felt right having her so close to him. 

 

After her apology, Soo Jin grew quiet and he didn't make an effort to encourage her to continue.  The reminder that she still thought of him as her brother bothered him greatly. How would he tell her?

 

His wolf, on the other hand, could not understand the source of his agony. She is their mate and she will accept them. There was no reason for her not to. They are more capable of protecting her and providing for her and their future children. Besides, they were destined to be together even before they were born.

 

But he knew it wasn't easy as that. What he feels for her... is what she might consider unacceptable. She was still human after all.

 

He wouldn't force her to love him but he would do his hardest to show her his heart. He wanted her to love him as her mate in her own terms, not because he might go rogue if she didn't. And if that doesn't happen, he would accept his fate even it kills him. His wolf was about to retaliate, not liking the direction his thoughts were heading until he silenced him with a promise that they will discuss it later. It was more important to ensure her safety first.

 

She must have sensed his distress for her hands moved in a soothing caress over his shoulders. Soo Jin knew him well, more than his other siblings.  It was just recently that they grew apart. She went to university while he was still in his last year of senior year. The year after that, he signed up for active  duty in the mandatory military service. Three years later, he is now an incoming sophomore at Pusan National University's College of Business which puts him at a disadvantage now that Soo Jin already graduated. He would speak to his father about his options. Just thinking about being separated from her makes him and his wolf restless. Her soft hands were gentle on his back and they effectively eased his worries away.

 

Below them, colorful lights of buildings dotted the landscape while vehicles pushed through the moderately heavy traffic. Humans went about their normal routines, oblivious of the disturbance at the foot of the mountain, deaf to the sounds of a battle between supernatural beings they never knew existed.

 

A barrier was placed around the mountain and pack lands,creating illusions to ward off wandering locals and tourists who might get too close. Even though they live amongst humans, they wanted to be able to change into their wolf form and let their beasts run free. It is also a place where they could retreat once they have stayed too long among humans. Werewolves age at a slower rate and even though South Koreans tend to look younger than their real age, primarily because of the value they place on beauty, it would still be unusual to see the same person not age a day for several years. They just return after a generation or so to help with pack business. 

 

Every fifty years, werewolves reinforce the barrier with energy from the full moon, not only to keep their existence a secret, but to deter otherworldly beings from encroaching in their territory. They were not enemies, but not allies either. It is best they remain vigilant.  

 

The full moon in three months would mark the fiftieth year.  He would volunteer in the preparations and make sure that the shields would be stable and strong. Everything had to be perfect, he wouldn't settle for anything less, not when she was almost taken away from him minutes ago. It wouldn’t happen again, he vowed to himself and his wolf. To which, his wolf responded with his own.

 

Jong In surprised himself how fast his priorities changed. A week ago he would never thought of assuming pack responsibilities, let alone finding his mate. But he had and at a young age of twenty one, when those who are fifty years his senior remain unmated. It was the most wonderful gift anyone could give him – a gift he would cherish forever. 

 

 

Soo Jin wondered if Jong In heard her apology, if he somehow understood why she acted the way she did.  She is old enough to take care of herself. She may not be as strong as him, but she knows a few tricks of her own to keep any guy in line. Yoochun and Hyun Joong made sure of that. She didn’t need him to come barging inside her unit to question her whereabouts and threaten her date as if he were her father - who already gave his consent. And it is not like she was rushing to get a boyfriend. 

 

Still, she shouldn’t have callously yelled at him in anger. For that she was sorry. She had never raised her voice at him before and that night shocked them both. Jong In stormed out and she never saw him again until tonight.

 

Time passed without her noticing and she didn’t know exactly how high up they were. Tree branches weaved above her, their huge trunks towering towards the dark heavens. Dead leaves and broken twigs littered the mossy ground. Oddly, there wasn't a sight of another living organism.

 

The chilly night air nipped her skin and she buried her hands under his fur. Jong In’s body is warm and comforting. It brought back childhood memories of smiles, laughter and warmth when he would choose to play with her. As they got older, he would just contentedly lie next to her under the Acacia tree, while she read a book. She missed those carefree days with him.

 

But the pleasant feeling didn’t last. Shivers ran up and down her spine and goose bumps erupted in her skin. Someone was following them, she was certain. Her grip tightened and Jong In went faster. It seemed that he too had just been aware of their presence. She held on to him as he pumped his legs to increase the distance between them and their pursuers. But the ones chasing them gained more speed and covered more ground.

 

Jong In has the fastest record in the pack but his speed is reduced by her added weight. Worse, their destination loomed ahead. She just realized they were headed to the secret caves - an intricate maze of caves and tunnels that serve as evacuation shelters for the children, women and the elderly during an attack.  

 

"We can't go there," she said in alarm. They can't lead the enemy to the pack's emergency hideout and risk the pack's safety. "I know you are tired. I'm sorry for putting you through this but let's go the other way." Her heart throbbed and her head went numb. It was getting hard for her think past the fear and worry.

 

Wind whipped her hair and mist sprayed her face. It was getting colder as the night wore on. She ducked her head to avoid low lying branches that she couldn't see as the forest blurred and melded before her. Jong In slid between trees and bounded over rocks and bushes but he couldn't shake them off. The ground pounded beneath them and she just knew they were gaining on them. Werewolves.

 

"Jong In," she called a little louder, when her brother didn't seem to hear what she said the first time. But she was certain he was just being stubborn. She lifted her head a little higher, narrowing her eyes to find another route. It was difficult to see in the darkness but the one who had superb night vision was blatantly ignoring her. She bit her lip, annoyed at what she was about to do. "If you don't stop and take a turn at this minute, I will jump."

 

Her threat sent her brother skidding before darting to the left. She didn't really want to scare him like that but he left her with no choice. "I'm sorry. But you have to understand that the safety of the pack is more important. If they discovered the secret passageways, it would be easy to infiltrate our pack. You have to help me here, Jong In. I know you can outsmart them," she said, hoping to get through him. "You have been playing hide and seek in this mountain far too long that the betas always had a difficult time looking for you. In fact, I am sure that they only find you because you let them." She wasn’t his ego, for she was only stating the truth. Her brother is hard headed but he knew when to stop being a burden. "I'm scared but I trust you. I promise not to let go."

 

As soon as she said those words, tension left his body. He was no longer running b

Please log in to read the full chapter