His Pride

The Couple Next Door (Sequel To Ahjumma Next Door)

 

 

 

 

 

“Eunju-ah... Don’t you think those two are being too much? I mean... Aisht! They’re not yet even married!” Hyun Suk said as he angrily flipped the pages of the newspaper he’s reading.

“Whatever happened to that ‘I trust Jiyong’ thing, yeobo?” Eunju sarcastically husband.

“Aisht! It’s not that I don’t trust him but... ” Hyun Suk sighed before finally setting the newspaper down the table.  “Everything happened too fast... I couldn’t even believe it sometimes.”

“Hyun suk-ah...” Eunju said as she held her husband’s hand dearly.  “Dara just turned 30... let her enjoy. Besides I know she wants to experience new things in her life. If you would ask me, I really wanted to ask the two to get married as soon as possible but that would be so selfish of me. I still want her to have fun.”

 

“Aisht, if they’ll  just continue living that way, then you’re right! It’s better for them to get married soon!” Hyun Suk pointed out as he took his cup of coffee.

 

“Stop interfering with those two, will you?” Eunju slapped his hand before paying attention to her breakfast. “You’re no different with appa...”

 

“Yah I approve of Jiyong don’t compare me to---- Mworago? Waeyo? What did he do this time?”

 

“I bet Jiyong’s fuming right now.” Eunju smiled as she shook her head.

 


 

 

 

“Ji...”

 

Dara poked Jiyong’s arm whose attention is still on the view out of the window of the private plane that's going to take them to Jeju. He’s been like that since they were fetched by the old Park’s driver from their apartment to the Park’s hangar. He tried not to lose his temper and this is the best way he knows.

 

 SHUT HIS MOUTH.

 

Last night when Dara called her whole family to inform them about their trip to Jeju, it never came as a problem with her mom Eunju although her father was a bit hesitant about it. The girls on the other hand were very supportive and they even told the two to make it a week’s vacation but sadly, it’s just for two days. Now the biggest surprise was when Dara told her harabeoji and Teddy. The old man immediately suggested that they use their private plane. Teddy then, who just got back from his honeymoon with his wife Kiko suggested they stay in his villa in Jeju. Jiyong politely turned down their offer but the two insisted.

 

And Dara agreed to them.

 

“Jiyong...” Dara poked his arm once again but Jiyong didn’t even budge. She knew it... He’s mad. Sighing in defeat, she could just fix herself on her seat and lean back down and pout as she fiddled with her fingers. “I thought you’d be happy about this… I didn’t know I’d make you mad at me…” she said as she focused on playing with her fingers like a guilty child.

 

Jiyong heard her… He even felt her pokes but his thoughts were somewhere flying in anger, in humiliation, in every possible degrading ways since he knew her family interfered again. All he wanted is some time with her girl without people meddling with them. He heaved a deep breath before turning back to face her.

 

“Dara-ah…” he called her as he grabbed her hands, stopping her from fiddling with her fingers. “I’m not mad at you, okay?” he said.

 

“B-b-ut…”

 

“Aisht…” he then wrapped an arm around her, his other hand still holding hers. “I’m not mad babe… It’s just that… I was somehow expecting that this time, it’s just gonna be us…”

 

“But it’s just us Jiyong…  They just offered us this plane and the place we’re staying at. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that… Besides you told me we need to save up---”

 

“Jagiya, when it comes to things like this, I’d be most willing to spend each and everything I have just to make you happy, arasso? Don’t you ever put that reason when it comes to you…” he felt something pinch him inside. He felt his pride was just stepped upon. He didn’t expect things would be this difficult when it comes to dealing with Dara’s family whom he knows were hard to please since they’re from the upper class. But he does understand they just want the best for Dara since she’s been away from them for a long time. Good thing his uncle Hyun Suk talks to him about things in his life at least he feels there’s still some people by his side anyway.

 

It’s not that easy as he thought things would be. He needs to look after his sister and aunt and make sure they get their provisions. He even decided to transfer Hayi to Seoul and they’re just waiting for the results of her entrance examinations so that the two can finally move in to the apartment he provided them. He now pays for the rent of two apartments including all the expenditures. Dara didn’t agree to this of course. In fact she would sneak in groceries and sometimes pay the bills without his knowledge. And he hates it… He doesn’t want people to think he’s taking advantage of his girlfriend’s status. For him, he’s the man and it doesn’t matter who earns more. He needs to shoulder everything.

 

And he tries doing it all while saving up for them, their fututr… and for her dream wedding.

A wedding that a princess like her deserves…

 A wedding and a future that won’t embarrass her and her family in the world that they belong to…

 

Dara bit her lip and nodded. “I’m sorry… I really thought you won’t mind it. I ruined everything again, didn’t I?”

 

“Yah, yah…” He held her shoulders and pulled her a bit so that she’s facing him but the girl just kept her gaze low. “I’m not mad, hey look at me…”

 

Slowly, she looked at him only to be greeted by his sincere smile. That boyish smile that could make her heart flutter with just one glance. Uneasily, she bowed down again when she felt her cheeks burning. Damn, she thought… When will her eyes get used to this dazzling being beside her?

 

“Aigoo! Hahaha!” Jiyong couldn’t help but forget his annoyance with how adorable she looks. “You’re blushing! Ahjumma’s blushing again, aigoo!!!”

 

“Y-y-ah… Stop it, Jiyong-ah!”

 

“But you’re blushing… let me see it!”

 

“No! I’m not!”

 

“Jagiya, let me see your face come on!”

 

“NO!!!” she said as she continued to hide her face behind her long curly locks.

 

“You seriously don’t want to?”

 

She answered with a nod but it was too late when she felt his fingers on either side of her waist. And without any warning…

 

“KYAAAAAH! KWON JIYONG STOOPP!!! HAHAHAHA! JIYONGGGG!!! I CAN’T!!!

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

“I missed you… You were so busy yesterday you even forgot about me.” Seungri said as he pouted like kid beside CL.

 

“Stop that , aisht!” CL said as she ran her palm across his face. “You just missed me because you had to look after Dadoongie again yesterday. You’re just bored!”

 

“Aniyo! I really missed you. I even called you up yesterday but it seems your phone was off. You’re probably busy meeting new people… probably men, you even forgot about your gorgeous boyfriend’s alone here!”

 

“Yah!” stood up and put her hands on her waist. “How dare you accuse me? Well… I was with another man---

 

“I knew it!” Seungri stood up and let go of Dadoong. “Just because I’m like this…”

 

“Yah! Let me finish you idiot!” she yelled at him. “I was with my cousin yesterday! He just arrived from the U.S. and I’m here because I want you to meet him tonight.”

 

“Chincha?” Seungri asked making the girl just nod. He then sighed in relief and sat back down again. “I really wanna go back to Seoul PD again, cat… Staying here just doesn’t feel right anymore. Especially since hyung moved in at noona’s… Good thing, they never forget to look after me.”

 

CL felt bad for the man. She’s been trying to visit him everytime she’s free but she knows it’s not enough.

 

“Hey…” she said as she went to his right and sat beside him. “Your mom asked me to convince you to go back home. She said your dad wants you to resign already. Aren’t you just glad about that?” she said as she linked her arm to his.

 

“Dad realized it now that I learned to love this job. Funny how some people think…” he then chuckled bitterly. “I just hope they’d listen to me too. What I want to do… where I want to go… what I want my future to be…  Do you think, if I didn’t get shot two months ago, they would even pay attention to me?”

 

“Seungri-ah… they’re still your parents.”

 

“You’re lucky, Chaerin…” she flinched upon hearing him call her like that. It’s when he’s serious like this that he uses her first name. She hates being called that way but whenever it’s him, it feels different.

 

“…You have a supportive family. They might be faraway, but they would always come to support you.” He said as he bowed his head down, looking at their fingers which are now intertwined with each other.

 

“Hey… don’t be sad…” she said as she smiled at him. “Your parents love you… well it’s not just probably the way you wanted them to… But I can see, they really do. In fact, they told me they’ll be visiting you again tomorrow. So stop going to the headquarters to hide and stay home, arasso?” she said before winking at him.

 

Seungri could just blink his eyes.

 

“What?” CL asked.

 

“Aisht! How can even say no when you just did that?” Seungri huffed.

 

“Aisht you!!!” CL then stood up and ruffled his hair. “Yah make sure to get prepared by 7 tonight… I’ll pick you up---

“No need. My left arm’s just injured, but I’m not crippled.” He pointed out. “Where do I need to meet you? Who else will be there?” he asked as he stood up and tried to move his left arm.

 

“At Se7en oppa’s… the girls will be there except Dara unnie of course… and Teddy oppa will be there too. So better not be late… I want to introduce you to oppa,” CL said before kissing him full on his lips and backing away laughing as she head towards the door.

 

“Y-y-ah… cat! Come back here!” Seungri tried to catch her but she’s too quick.

 

“I’ll reward you tonight if you’ll be  on time!” she shouted as she disappeared through the hallway, making Seungri think of all possible people he could leave Dadoong to so he can run his off to Se7en’s bar even if it’s just 10 am.

 

 


 

 

 

“If there’s anything you need agassi, just call me in this number.” The housekeeper said as she handed Dara a piece of paper.

 

“Neh…Kamsahamnida, ahjumma.” Dara said as she bowed to the old woman and Jiyong was just behind her doing the same. The two looked at the retreating figure of the old woman as she disappeared through the luscious green bushes of the garden in Teddy’s villa. Dara then felt Jiyong’s arm wrapping around her. She turned around to face him as she slid her arms around his waist before grinning like a 4-year old kid.

Jiyong could just laugh at her cute expression. She really looks like a child whenever she grins like that.

“Hey… happy?” he asked her and she just answered with an eager nod.

 

 

 “Let’s go in?” she pulled herself out from the hug and held his hand, pulling him with her as she went in.

 

Jiyong followed behind, their hands clasped together as they marveled the house.

 

“Omo…” she gasped when she saw the whole view of the living room. It was a spacious one, and what caught her attention was the glass paneled walls which directs them to a balcony that overviews the sea.

 

“Jiyong!” she smiled at him giddily. She let go of his hand and pushed the door that separates the living room from the balcony. She saw a stairway going down to the pool which flows down straight to the sea. To her left was an amazing bloom fields. And to her right was a way down to the beach. It was a sight indeed. It’s perfect.

 

Dara could just widen her eyes in awe. She’s never seen such a place all her life. Well, how would she be able to do so? She used to be kept inside her apartment and she had no chance to go out and see the world… until lately.

 

Jiyong could just look at her girl from the glass door. She looks happy and content. Will she feel the same way had he brought her to the place he planned to bring her? He shook his head. Not a chance. He could just walk lazily to her side as he watched her eyes glimmer with so much joy he just found himself chuckling as he rubbed his lips.

 

“Jiyong! This is so amazing! It’s so beautiful here!” she said as she clasped her hands and allowed her chin to rest onto it.

 

“Yeah… really beautiful…” he said as he eyed her intently as she smiled while looking around the place. Her smile is really something…  it’s contagious. But the fear of keeping her always happy that way is troubling him. Slowly, his smile faded.

 

“Ji---“ she turned to him only to see him watching her as he squinted his eyes, his face devoid of any emotion. Alarmed, she ran towards him and cupped his face.

 

“Y-y-ou alright, Jiyong? Are you feeling well? You want to get some rest first?” she looked at him with utmost concern as he bombarded him with questions he could just grow fond watching her and how innocent she looks.

 

“I’m fine baby… How about you?” he asked and he saw the hesitation in her eyes. Eventually she shook her head making him furrow his brows.

 

“I think you’re tired.” She said. “I’ll just fix our things first and then let’s get some rest before going out, neh?” she said.

 

“Why I thought you like the view?” he asked her back… “I’m not tired jagiya… Come on, let’s fix our things and come back down and have a stroll.” He said as he cupped her cheeks and looked her in the eye.

 

Dara could just suppress her smile by biting her inner cheeks as she nodded in agreement. She felt excited having such kind of new experience thrilling her and making her just want to run around and enjoy the place.

 

 


 

 

 

 

After fixing their stuff, the two immediately went down to the beach. It was rocky near the shoreline but the sand is just as white and the water is clear, mirroring the perfect blue sky that morning.

 

“Jiyong… Do you know how to swim?” she asked him as she looked at the sea ahead.

Jiyong bent down to pick a small wooden stick before looking at her. “Of course I do… Why did you suddenly ask? You want to swim?” he asked as he chuckled a bit.

“Ani… I just wanted to know. Because I…. I haven’t even tried it before… It’s scary, isn’t it?”

He stood up and walked towards her as he tilted his head and followed her gaze ahead. “Yeah… at first… But if you really want to do it, it won’t be as scary anymore. Everything works like that for me… I guess for everyone else too.” He said as he turned to her.

 

“Yeah… You’re right.” She said before bowing down and holding her skirt as the wind blew once more across them. He could just look at her as the wind brushed her hair away from her face, making it fall back into place on her shoulders as it ceases.

 

“The moment you decided you want that something, it’s either you wonder forever how to make it happen, or do something that very instant to make it happen.” He said, his gaze never leaving her. And she must have felt it. Slowly, she looked to her left only to see his eyes fixed on her.

 

“Aisht!” she shook her head and turned away from him. “You’re giving me the creeps, Jiyong.” She said as she flapped her hand.

 

“Why? What did I do this time? I was just stating something based on my experience.” He laughed as he went nearer her. The next thing Dara knew, he was already behind her, wrapping his arms around her while his lips settled on her left temple. “I love you, baby… If I had to choose again… If I had to do that again, I would always choose you.” He said as he rested his chin on her shoulders. He bent down a bit so that he could reach the sand with the stick he’s holding.


“Aiyoo… Why did you fall for me again? I’m weird---“

 

“I find that rather genuine,” he answered as he drew on the shore while his other arm still holding her waist.

 

“I’m boring and lifeless…---“

 

“I find that interesting.”

 

“I’m stubborn, and clumsy, and a walking disaster. My name spells trouble, how about that?”

 

“I’m adventurous, I like you that way,” he said nonchalantly.

 

“Jiyong! I’m serious!”

 

“Who says I’m not?” he asked her as he arched a brow. She could just giggle and tuck her loose hair behind her ear. She then looked down at his doodles and her eyes almost bulged out of its sockets when she read the written note.

 

“YAH!!!” she slapped his arm and backed away.

“What?” he laughed at her mischievously.

 

“Jiyong what are you talking about in here! Seriously? How can you speak such things that easy?” she said as she tried to erase the writings.

“I’m just joking babe, hahaha! You look serious, what’s with all those questions?” he said as he paced towards her but she just kept backing away.

 

“Th-th-at’s… That’s supposed to be just something between us! Erase that on the sand!” she stuttered as she commanded him. But Jiyong was enjoying her flushed face he even added another word.

“No one knows the meaning behind this, it’s okay babe!”

 

EXPERIMENT TONIGHT…

 

JUSEYO…  

 

 

“Yaaaaah!!! Kwon Jiyong!!!” Dara ran after him but he just went further to the other side of the beach, luring her to him as she craved for revenge.

 

“Hahahahah!!!”

 

 

 

 


 

 

“200,000 won!” TOP said as he placed his bet on the table. “Jiyong’s finally gonna get laid tonight.” He confidently said.

 

“400,000 won!”  Daesung allowed his check to land on the table while he was looking at TOP with a smug grin. “He’ll never get over with his blueballs, kyahahahah---OUCH!!!”

 

Daesung grimaced in pain when Youngbae smacked his head. “Aisht, how could you do this to Jiyong?” he asked in annoyance.

 

“Yah, this is just for fun!” TOP told Youngbae.

 

“You two are no different with the maknae! Aisht!” Youngbae scolded. “Hyung, what are you doing here? I thought you want to make the best of your one week leave?”

 

“Aisht, that woman!” TOP said pertaining to Bom. “All she knows is work and business. I couldn’t even feel our wedding’s coming!”

 

“Omo… You’re not yet married and you’re already acting that way, hyung?” Daesung asked. “By the way, I heard the girls were seeing CL’s cousin. Minzy asked me to come. Did they invite you too?”

“Of course, you babo!” TOP said. “My fiance’s gonna be there later. Of course I’ll be seeing her.”

 


“Se7en hyung and Teddy hyung invited me too… That CL's cousin, I wonder if he’s also a prominent person… “ Youngbae said.

 

“I just hope he’s not like CL… I couldn’t imagine seeing our maknae being fed to the lions…” Daesung said as he ticked his tongue.