What Are Brothers For?

The Couple Next Door (Sequel To Ahjumma Next Door)

 

 

 

 

 

''Kitty... can I ask you something?'' Seungri turned to CL as he pulled over to a stop in front of Onstyle building the next day.

 

 

''What is it?'' CL asked before applying some lipstick and pursing her lips in front of her compact mirror.

 

 

''How close is Joongki oppa to Dara noona?'' He said as he looked ahead.

 

 

 

CL put down her mirror and stared blankly at him. ''Wae?'' she asked in a flat tone.

 

 

''Ani... It's just that... Aisht... Nothing...''

 

 

Seungri felt bad teasing Jiyong and laughing at him a few days ago. His hyung shared his insecurities and jealousy issues to them that morning but they couldn't process what he was dramatically saying because they were too preoccupied making him a laughing stock because of his not so cool for his image spongebob boxers and floral apron. He realized it though, eventually that maybe, his hyung is really going through something in terms of his relationship with Dara. But he thinks Jiyong is getting aloof to the boys since that incident.

 

 

He wanted to ask CL but he knows it won't be as easy. The man involved was her cousin. For sure, she'll get affected.

 

 

''Forget it. I just felt curious because I thought Dara noona's kind of aloof to people since childhood.'' he said before turning to CL and kissing her on cheek. ''You take care arasso?''

 

 

CL bit her lip to suppress a smile but failed even so. She grinned while scrunching up her nose before pulling Seungri for a quick but sweet kiss on the lips.  

 

''I'll be fine. On the other hand, rat, you stay away from Seoul PD and don't get too excited. You still have few days before going back to work and you need to be in perfect condition.'' she rambled making him just nod in agreement. ''I'll see you this afternoon?'' she asked.

 

 

''Neh... I'll pick you up. And... Yah.. Don't be so harsh with those contestants. You don't want to get enemies do you? Be a good girl!'' he said and patted her head.

 


''Yah! I was never a good one in the first place. They can try but they can't mess with me so if I were one of those es, I'll back off.'' CL pointed out.

 


''Aisht! Look at that attitude of yours. Aigoo... Stop being like that.'' Seungri told her but CL just cocked an eyebrow.

 

 

''If I wasn't like this, would you even love me in the first place? Pscht! I'm sure I'm turning you on right now.'' CL confidently said as she pulled Seungri towards her by his jacket.

 

 

 

 

''Yah! Dont you dare try to tease me sweetie. You know what I'm capable of doing and I won't mind doing it right here, right now.'' Seungri hissed.

 

 

''ert!'' CL pushed him back and laughed at him. ''See you this afternoon rat.''

 

 

''Love you cat... Mwah!'' Seungri blow her a kiss when she stepped out of the car.

 

 

“Ewww... How gross!'' CL grimaced and laughed at him while waving goodbye.

 

 

 


 



 

 

 

 

''It's obviously the same gang who robbed the bank in Gangnam... Same tactics... Same style. I think right now they're planning another attack.'' Youngbae said as he scanned through the reports.

 

 

''Ani... They'll probably stop right now. They successfully robbed 3 banks in a row. I don't think they'd be that willing to risk more. All we need to know is who are these people are and what do they use such amount of money for.'' Jiyong said, rubbing his lips staring into nothingness with a blank face.

 

 

 

''All the banks are on heightened alert and security right now. But still... People are blaming Seoul PD because our men weren't able to catch those bastards.'' Daesung said as he blew a sigh.

 

 

''Yah, I caught one though!'' Youngbae proudly said.

 

 

 

''But you know we haven't squeezed out any information from that moron. How pathetic would you think we'll look with that?'' Daesung said.

 

 

 

The three were in deep thoughts when the door suddenly broke open.

 

 

 

''What the is wrong with those ugly looks on your face?'' TOP said upon entering the room.

 

 

''Hyung!!!'' Daesung stood up from his seat and jumped on  TOP, hugging him dearly as if he hasn't seen him for a decade. ''I missed you hyung!''

 

 

 

''THE ! YAH! GET OFF ME, YOU AS*HOLE! YAH!'' TOP struggled to break free but Daesung clung on him like a leech.

 

 

 

''Whoa hyung! Welcome back! Had the time of your life in Paris? Aigoo... Poor noona.'' Youngbae slapped him hard on his arm while teasing him.

 

 

 

''Yah! That stings you...! Aisht!''

 

 

 

''Welcome back hyung.'' Jiyong simply said with a smile before walking towards the door.

 

 

''I'll just go talk to Tablo hyung.'' Jiyong said before finally disappearing through the door.

 

 

 

Daesung loosened his grip on TOP while still eyeing the doorway. Youngbae shook his head and focused his eyes on the floor before letting out a sigh. TOP could just follow Daesung's gaze before snapping back at them.

 

 

 

''Yah, Yah... Am I missing something here?''

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

''Whoa! This is too much! But I love it! A lot!'' Minzy clasped her hands in excitement upon seeing the bags of gifts from Bom's vacation with TOP in France. “Thanks unnie!” she said giddily.

 

 

“That’s really for you Mingkki-ah! I picked them all for you because you’ve been a good girl and you didn’t fail my expectations. I’m pretty sure those two were having a hard time doing so much things all at the same time.” Bom said as she sat on the couch.

 

 

“You bet unnie… I heard Dara unnie even wanted to back out from the show. She finds it hard to say what she wants because she’s afraid to hurt someone.”

 

“I knew it, that Darong! But CL can handle that… Let’s leave it to her. We all know how straight forward that girl I with her words. I’m pretty sure Dara will learn from her.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Say… this unnie, arasso?” CL told Dara. The two immediately huddled on a corner when they finally had their break.

 

 

“O-o-kay…” Dara eagerly nodded before looking around, checking if someone can see them.

 

 

“You look ugly.”

 

 

“I’m ugly?” Dara gasped in horror.

 

 

“No, no, no!!! Aisht… You repeat after me unnie, I told you a while ago right?” CL frowned at her.

 

 

“Okay… I’m sorry… I got carried away.”

 

 

“We’re on a reality contest unnie, not drama, for heaven’s sake! Now from the beginning.--- YOU LOOK UGLY.”

 

 

 

“You… You…” Dara started to say making CL pout her lips as she gestured Dara to go on…

 

 

“…You… You… look… ugly?” Dara said as if she’s asking a question and CL could just hang open.

 

 

“Aisht! You can’t do that unnie! Yah! Be confident with your words.” CL said, and deep inside she wants to give up on her unnie.

 

 

“Say… It doesn’t suit you, you ! There… Like that.”

 

 

 

 

“It doesn’t… suit you, you… you… bi---“

 

“.”

 

“Bi---”

 

 

“Bit—”

 

 

 

“BOOO!”

 

 

 

“KYAAAH!!!”

 

 

“What the oppa? Aisht! You scared us!” CL said as she clutched her chest.

 

 

“Yah, yah! Watch your words Chaerin!” Joongki told his cousin before turning to Dara. “What are you two doing here, huh?” Joongki asked.

 

 

“I’m teaching unnie some techniques…” CL answered.

 

 

 

“Techniques like what?” Joongki curiously asked.

 

 

“Like…” CL was about to answer but Dara beat her to it.

 

 

“You look ugly.” She told Joongki with a straight face making CL gasp before clamping .

 

 

“MWORAGO??? YAH HOODIE!” Joongki’s eyes almost fell out of its sockets upon hearing her words.

 

 

“It doesn’t suit you, .” She told him with a blank face.

 

 

“Omo!” CL could just look at the tow alternately.

 

 

“YAH!!! What are you----” Joongki bit his lip to stop himself from firing back to Dara. He looked at CL and the girl just shook her head.

 

 

“Chaerin! You’re coming with me!”

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

“So that’s why you’re saying Jiyong has been in a foul mood these days… It now makes sense.” TOP nodded as he thought thoroughly.

 

 

“We’re at fault too. That morning, he looked absolutely ridiculous. He talked to us about his matter about Dara when we arrived at the headquarters but we really can’t move on so we turned him to a laughing stock and obviously, he got pissed.” Youngbae added.

 

 

“I couldn’t believe you guys! That’s our brother! How could you?”

 

 

 

“Aisht! But we didn’t know hyung would take it seriously! I thought he was still cool about it!” Seungri said while scratching his head. “He must have been feeling bad right now. I really feel guilty.”

 

 

“You should be, you babo! He constantly looks after you, feeds you! You almost looked like their adopted panda---“

 

 

“Yah! I work hard for it you know! It’s not easy cat-sitting Dadoong! Good thing noona already agreed to leave it to the guard everytime they’re out.” Seungri said.

 

 

“It’s all my fault. He won’t even talk to us for long. The only chance we get to see him talking normally is during briefings and evaluations and anything work related. It’s my fault… I know it’s my fault. I was the one who called his d*ck squidward.”

 

 

“You---Aisht! Damn! You went overboard this time Dae, I’m telling you!” TOP whacked Daesung’s head and the latter could just grimace in pain.

 

 

“Seriously you idiots, what are we here? Kids? Aisht! And why is he being overly sensitive!”

 

 

 

“I think I already know.” Seungri told the boys.

 

“Pscht! What do you know that makes sense, you babo!” TOP scolded the maknae.

 

 

“I think Jiyong hyung started acting this way since Joongki hyung arrived.”

 

 

“Bwoh?!” the boys asked in unison.

 

 

“Haven’t you noticed? Aisht! Noona and Joongki hyung are pretty close. They’re like an older version of me and my kitty cat. I thought you knew better than me!”

 

 

“Yah! We never got the chance to be with those two all the time! It was you who’s been trying to get close to Joongki hyung!” Daesung pointed out.

 

 

“Exactly!” Youngbae seconded. “Are you backing him up? I knew it! You’re a traitor!”

 

 

“Yah! Why blame this on me!” Seungri answered back with a voice that seems he’s about to cry since the boys are ganging up on him.

 

 

“Enough!” TOP slammed his hands on the table making all the customers in the cafeteria look their way. “Oh… S-s-sorry… Ehe…” Top said as he ducked his head and held a peace sign.

 

 

He then threw the boys his deathly glares before moving his forefinger, telling them to come closer. When the boys were gathered in a circle, he started speaking.

 

 

“We need to find out about his problem and what’s keeping him busy even after work… You as*holes should make up for what you caused Jiyong!” TOP told the three.

 

 

“How?” Youngbae asked.

 

 

“Here’s the plan…”

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s POV

 

 

 

 

 

I looked at these wonderful ladies going down the stage after the taping. We just wrapped things up and the next filming would be on the day after tomorrow. I smiled and rejoiced mentally because finally, I can go get some rest. I didn’t think it would be this stressful being a judge. How I wish I could just go back to my work station and home and design clothes for our summer collection. It’s easier. Not to mention I’d get to spend more time with Jiyong.

 

Speaking of that namja, I wonder where he is? I looked at my watch and it’s already 5 in the afternoon. I haven’t got any call though he sent me a message asking me how I was doing. I sent him a reply and waited for his response but nothing came. I just sat back and sighed.

 

 

I miss him.

 

 

He would always go home late. The only time that we’re together is an hour before we go to work. He’ll take me here and then he’ll leave. Communication isn’t as often as before. I know how hard his job is and this isn’t actually the first time he became this busy but I couldn’t help but get worried. I don’t know… maybe it’s just me but he started acting this way after that night when I told him and my parents over dinner that I will be working with Joongki oppa. I was expecting him to throw another fit but he didn’t. Instead he showed me his support.

 

 

I should be happy right? But why do I feel something’s off here?

 

 

“Unnie, do you want to go somewhere else?” CL asked me. “Seungri told me something came up and he won’t be able to fetch me. We still have free time!” CL told me.

 

 

“Let’s have dinner with the girls. I miss them.” I honestly told her. Beside’s Bom is back and I want to catch up with her.

 

 

“That’s nice. I’ll just call Bom unnie and Mingkki…” CL said before rummaging through her bag for her phone.

 

 

 

I turned to my left and saw Joongki oppa talking to one of our producer. He then turned his eyes on me and flashed me that million dollar smile. Aisht! I would have fainted already if he did that back then when Jiyong hasn’t cured me yet. But I can tolerate such things now.

 

 

Aiyoo… Why am I even thinking of him again even if he’s not here? I mentally whacked my head.

 

 

So this is how it feels to be Jiyong-deprived. I cringed in embarrassment upon realization. I have to admit it.

 

 

I’m officially Kwon Jiyong-deprived. Our house is lifeless without him. I don’t want to go home yet.

 

 

CL was still talking to the girls on the phone when Joongki oppa approached me. Uh-oh… I haven’t apologized yet for what I did a while ago.

 

 

“Yah… Don’t you dare speak that way again, arasso? It doesn’t suit you. You don’t have to act y just to be an effective judge. You just have to be yourself and speak for yourself.”

 

 

“I know CL didn’t mean any harm. She’s just trying to make me feel confident about myself.”

 

“I know that too but… Aisht! Give that kind of judging technique to Chaerin arasso? She’s really a very straightforward person in the first place. But don’t say such words again. I almost think you really find me ugly.” Joongki oppa said obviously pissed with how I spoke to him earlier. I chuckled at his expression and it’s too late for me to stop for he already caught me.

 

 

“Yah… Are you laughing at me?”

 

 

“A-a-ni!”

 

“You are! See?”

 

I told you I am not oppa!”

 

 

“You’re getting naughtier each time huh!”

 

 

“Who? Me?”

 

 

“No, me!” he said as he pulled me and tickled me on my waist and nape nonstop.

 

 

 

“OPPA!!! ENOUGH!!! STOP!!!”

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’ll go ahead hyung.” Jiyong said as he picked up his jacket and wore it.

 

“Where are the boys?” Tablo asked him but Jiyong just shrugged off his shoulders nonchalantly making Tablo frown.

 

“Is there something wrong between you and the boys?” he asked in concern.

 

 

“Ani… I’m just tired hyung. I’m going.”

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

Jiyong paused into a halt when he felt someone’s presence as soon as he got out of his car. He looked around but darkness met him. He then turned away and started walking again, going somewhere only he knows where.

 

He was about to turn left when he stopped and turned around once more only to find no one following him. But he couldn’t be wrong…  He then smirked as he shoved his hands in his pocket before whistling his way as he turned left to a corner.

 

 

Not too far away, hidden behind a tree was a boy eyeing Jiyong’s direction intently. He was about to run towards him but after making a step or two out of his hiding place, four men who look like idiots beat him to it.

 

 

 

“Shhhh…” TOP warned the three when Daesung accidentally tripped over a loose brick on the ground. He then gestured Seungri with his hand to go ahead of them and the maknae was just as willing to oblige.

 

 

 

Seungri turned left slowly but could just stand there scanning the whole empty street.

 

 

 

 

“Yah! What now?” Youngbae asked him.

 

 

 

“I couldn’t see him! I think we lost him--- KYAAAAAAAH!!!”

 

 

 

Jiyong suddenly dropped himself from the branch of tree, assaulting Seungri from his back and pinning him down to the ground.

 

 

 

“Lost who, rat?” he hissed.

 

 

 

“HYUUNG!!! HELP!!!” Seungri cried out.

 

 

“Yah Jiyong stop it!” TOP and the boys came rushing towards the two. Jiyong abruptly stood up and left the maknae panting heavily in shock.

 

 

 

“What was that for hyung? Aisht!” Seungri said as he stood up and freed himself from the dirt.

 

 

“What are you doing here following me in the first place, huh?” he returned the question while crossing his arms over his chest.

 

 

The four boys looked at each other before looking away and clearing their throats.

 

 

“We’re just… Eherrrm… Worried about you bro.” Daesung said.

 

 

“He’s right… You’ve been acting weird these past few days and we think we are at fault.” Youngbae said.

 

 

“That’s why TOP hyung suggested we follow you and see for ourselves what’s keeping you busy even after work.” Daesung said.

 

 

 

“Yah, listen to these three eggs Jiyong.” TOP told him.

 

 

Jiyong eyed the three with his eyes that could their breaths out of them. He snorted before looking back to TOP.

 

 

“I’m not mad at them in the first place. I got offended yes and I even had to talk to Jaejoong because I felt like I was going to explode due to frustrations and pressures around me. But I am fine now. Chincha.” Jiyong told TOP.

 

 

“Hyung! Please forgive us! We’re really sorry for not paying attention to you and your concerns.” Seungri told Jiyong.

 

 

“N-neh bro, promise we’ll forever delete that morning in our memories.” Youngbae assured him.

 

 

“And I won’t call that squidward anymore! I know that’s awful, I’m sorry!” Daesung bowed before him.

 

 

“Aisht Jiyong don’t be so harsh with these three. You know these are idiots what do you expect from them?”

 

 

“YAH!!!” the three snapped at TOP while twitching  their lips.

 

 

 

Jiyong’s eyes turned into tiny slits upon hearing the four.

 

 

Payback time! He thought.

 

 

“You sure you idiots are sorry?”

 

 

“NEH!!!”

 

 

 

“You want to help too, hyung?” he then turned to TOP.

 

 

 

“N-n-eh…”

 

 

 

“Arasso. Follow me.” Jiyong said as he turned away from them and started walking.

 

 

 

 

“BWOH?”

 

 

 

“So you’re having second thoughts now?” Jiyong turned to them once more.

 

 

“ANI!!!”  the four said in chorus. “WHAT ARE BROTHERS FOR?”

 

 

 

Jiyong smirked and turned away again. “Arasso. Let’s go…”

 

 

 

“Brothers help each other.”

 

 

“Neh, brothers should understand each other.”

 

 

“Brothers shouldn’t keep secrets from each other.”

 

 

“Brothers go through hardships and pain together.”

 

 

 

Jiyong just shook his head and chuckled at his four so called brothers’ antics as he guided the boys to their destination.