Battle Of The Proposals- Part 2

The Couple Next Door (Sequel To Ahjumma Next Door)

 

 

 

 

THE BATTLE OF THE PROPOSALS- THE RING

 

 

 

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

 

 

This is it… Today is the day!!!

 

 

I looked out at the glass window of my office and I could just clutch the fabric across my chest in panic…

 

How will he react? Will he be surprised? Happy? Ecstatic? Or… Will I disappoint him?

 

I heaved a sigh as I smoothed my dress with my palms.

 

There’s no turning back.

 

 

I lazily walked back to my table and took my phone to call him up. It didn’t take long before he finally picked up.

 

“Hey babe.” I smiled upon hearing his small but husky voice.

 

“H-h-ey… Still at the headquarters?”

 

“Y-y-eah… Uhmmm I think I won’t make it on time babe. But I’m definitely going to see you.”

 

“Oh… Is that so…” I felt my knees weaken in disappointment when I heard the news.

 

But he said he’ll see me right?

 

“Hey… you’re pouting.”

 

“I’m not.” I lied and heaved another sigh. I’m getting nervous and him being late and all is just making things worse.

 

“You are. Aisht… Baby don’t be sad please? ”

 

“I’m okay, Jiyong-ah.  I’ll see you then… “ I hung up and picked my bag dejectedly from my chair.

 

So much for disappointments… My heart ‘s starting to sink.

 

“Darong?” Bommie peeped in through the door. “Hey… what’s with that face?” she asked as he entered my office followed by Minzy and CL.

 

“He said he’ll be late…” I told them as I smiled weakly. “I think I’ll just have to go there alone. I’ll just wait for him there.”

 

I can feel the girls are sad for me but I don’t want them to pity on me. I tried to sound as cheerful as I can as I head out of my office, the three still following me.

“But I’m all good! I’m really excited!”

The three looked at each other as if they were not convinced.

“Don’t be sad unnie. Everything’s gonna be fine, neh?” Minzy said as she rubbed my arms.

 

“Just trust oppa. Oh by the way, did you check the ring?” CL asked me.

 

“I already have it here. Don’t worry.” I beamed at them. “Gotta go…”

 

“Good luck unnie! “

 

“FIGHTING!!!”

 


 

 


 

 

 

 

 

JIYONG’S POV

 

 

 

I really felt sorry for my baby girl… God… I hope she’s okay. Why did I even come up with this idea?

 

I look around at the simplicity of this place…

 

Nothing’s changed.

 

Except that our hearts are more familiar with each other now.

The only change is that I feel more attached to her now. I feel  my whole life now belongs to her.

 

Damn! I just can feel the heat starting to burn my eyes again!

 

Aisht… This is too much. Just too much happiness I really couldn’t contain it.

 

I smiled as I leaned back the cold wall once more.

 

 

Babe… I’ll be waiting for you here…

 


 

 


 

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

 

 

“Just a glass of water please.” I told the waiter for the nth time. I feel like gulping down the whole glass of water and still my throat would still go back to being dry.

 

I held my tiny stomach and rubbed it slowly.

 

“Baby… Be patient, neh? Soon… appa will know about you... I hope he’ll be happy about all these. I know he’s a bit impatient with kids but he’s a good man. So let’s wait a bit more, neh?”

 

I could just smile as I run my hand across my face.

 

Who would have thought a weird and creepy girl like me would deserve so much joy such as this that its overwhelming me?

 

That man… He’s brought me everything… No he didn’t force me out of my own little world… Instead, he brought his own world to me.

 

I looked out of the glass window and heaved another sigh as I rested my chin on my hand. “Kwon Jiyong… What’s taking you so long?”

 

Just then I remembered checking out the ring in my bag. I pulled the red velvet box and smiled as I brought it to my lips.

 

I was about to put it inside when I noticed it’s a bit lighter than the first time I held it this morning. I panicked as I fumbled with it, trying to open it as my heart started to race against my chest.

 

 

“God!!!” I gasped as I saw what greeted me when I managed to open it finally.

 

Nothing.

 

 

I stood up abruptly. My head is spinning all I could do is rummage through my bag but I saw nothing. I took my phone and decided to call the girls.

 

What did just happen?

 

Where’s the ring?

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

“CL!!! FASTER WILL YOU!!!”

 

 

“I’M DOING MY BEST UNNIE!!!”

 

 

“AISHT!!! I REALLY FEEL GUILTY FOR DOING THIS! LET’S JUST HOPE DARONG WOULD BE FINE OR I SWEAR I’LL FOREVER BE SORRY ABOUT THIS EVIL PLAN!!!” Bom continued to rant as CL drove the car on their way to Jiyong.

 

“Unnie, everything’s prepared… Joongki oppa is almost near Dara unnie too. He’s just waiting for our go signal.” Minzy informed as they swerve along the high way trying to find the easiest way to get there as soon as possible.

 

“Aisht!!! I didn’t expect it will be this stressful!” CL said as she finally reached their destination.

 

“OH !!!” Bom cursed upon seeing Dara’s name flashing on her phone’s screen.

 

 

“She’s calling! She probably found out about the ring!”

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

“Why am I feeling this way???” Seungri cried out as he stood up the fancy couch of the grand living room he’s in.

 

“Yah! What’s wrong with you?” Youngbae scolded him. “Will you just sit down and stop acting like your constipated or something?”

 

“Hyung! I can’t believe it Jiyong hyung is finally---aaaaahhh!!!” Seungri bawled like a kid who just lost his candy. “Things will never be the same again hyung!”

 

“Shut up you rat! Yah!!!” Youngbae threw him his slippers making Seungri stop.

 

“Yah, you’re getting more and more violent huh!”

 

“It’s because of you, you babo! Aisht! Just wait for Dara noona and keep your mouth shut!” Youngbae said before turning away from Seungri.

 

Seungri twitched his lips in annoyance and turned away too but before he could, something caught his eyes. He looked back at Youngbae once more and saw his shoulders shaking.

 

“H-h-yung?” he said as he poked Youngbae’s shoulders but Youngbae just shrugged.

 

“Hey hyung, are you okay?” Seungri asked once more, this time pulling Youngbae’s shoulder spinning him around and Seungri could just gawk at him.

 

“I told you to just shut up! Shut up!!!  Shut upppp!!!”

 

“Hyung.” Seungri felt his tears falling once more upon seeing Youngbae crying too. The mighty Youngbae!

CRYIIING!!!

 

“Why??? Why???” Youngbae bawled making Seungri wipe his tears and hit Youngbae’s arm startling the latter.

 

“Ouch!!!”

 

“Yah hyung! Why what?”

 

Youngbae stood up and faced him.

 

“You’re asking me that? Why Seungri!!! Why do I always have to be the one without a love life?”

 

Seungri rolled his eyes and walked out of the living room. “Just when I thought it’s because if Jiyong hyung! Aisht!!!”

 

“Yah! Where are you going?”

 

 

“Imma wait outside for noona than sit here with you. Aisht!

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

“Are you okay agassi?” the chef asked Dara who was still dazed, having no idea what to do. She’s been calling everyone but no one’s picking up their phones.

“N-n-n-eh?”

 

“Someone wanted to give this to you.” The waiter said as he placed the tray on the table. He then removed the plate cover making Dara gasp.

“W-w-ho told you to---“

“Omona… I didn’t know agassi, I was just asked to serve this to your table.”

 

Dara’s hands trembled as she took the note on the tray.

 

 

“The ring is with its rightful owner. If you are willing to find it, seek help from a childhood friend.”

 

 

Dara opened and closed it once more unable to process what’s going on right now.

 

“The rightful owner? But that’s mine! Aisht!!! Am I being punked here?”

 

 

Dara immediately rang Jiyong’s phone and sighed in relief when he answered it. “J-j-i… I’m sorry can you come here a bit… later? I mean like 9 pm? I… I just have to attend to something. Neh… I love you… Jiyong… If you ever arrive earlier than me, please wait for me, arasso?”

 

 

Dara quickly stood up and phoned the girls but no one’s answering.

 

“Who are you? Where’s the ring?” Dara said as she faced the note as if talking to it.

 

“Childhood friend… Childhood friend… Se7en oppa!!!” she tired calling him up but to no avail.

 

She ran her way down the resto and thought of going back to DB & Co.’s building thinking she might have just left the ring there but her head is spinning wildly.

 

What about the note she’s holding?

 

Just then she went out and saw someone that gave her hope.

 

“Joongki… Joongki oppa…” she blurted out. Quickly, she dashed her way to Joongki who has just stepped out of his car.

 

“OPPA!!!” Dara said and waved the note to him.

 

“Oppa, I have a huge problem… “ she said as she panted. “I lost the ring. Otteoke? I lost the ring?”

 

Joongki felt worried over Dara. He cupped her sweaty face and wiped it with his handkerchief. “Shh…  Calm down. You want to find the ring?”

 

“N-n-eh.”

 

“Then be my guide.” He said meaningfully.

 

“What? Oppa… Do you have anything to do with this?” she asked and he just shrugged and handed her a small envelope.

 

 

“Ready? How about the first most crowded place you’ve been to?”

 

 

 

 

DARA’s POV

 

 

 

“Se7en oppa, are you sure none of the girls has been here?”

 

“Yeah. So sure.”

 

“Aisht! What are those girls up to! They’re the only ones who know about the ring! I need to propose to Jiyong! What am I gonna do now?” I asked as I felt tears now forming in my eyes because of frustration.

 

“Oh… I got a note here though…”

 

My eyes widened in surprise when he took out another envelope from his pocket and handed it to me.

 

“What? I can’t believe this! Time is running out! Jiyong might be there at the resto already! God! What is this? Amazing race?” I am so pissed like… Urrghhh!

 

I’ve never been this pissed all my life. Whoever is behind this nonsense I am sure I’ll make them see the how I get angry. I angrily tore it and read the note inside.

 

 

“Smile.  How about where you first cried in public?”

 

 

 

I half ran, half walked towards the waiting shed near Seoul Grand Hotel. Oh… Do I really have to be reminded about crying like a little girl lost because omma didn’t know about me yet that time?

 

“Oppa, I’m tired.” I told Joongki oppa and he just ushered me to go on.

 

“Annyeong, noona!” I was really surprised to see Hyun Bin with his sister and father behind him.

 

“Omo! Hyun Bin-ah, what are you doing here?” I asked him as I crouched down. Eunbi went near me and I can see she’s really better now, her cheeks with a pretty blush.

 

“Thank you for taking good care of us unnie.” The little girl bowed before me. Their father then walked towards us and I stood up to bow at him.

 

“Thank you so much for your help, Dara-ssi.” The man said.

 

“Oh… That’s nothing. Besides it’s Jiyong---“

 

Warning bells came ringing inside my head as I remembered I came here to find my ring. Whoever the culprit that’s doing this to me I swear I’ll make them feel my wrath!

 

“Noona, noona!” Hyung Bin called while pulling my bag.

 

“I can help you find your ring.” He said and smiled sweetly.

 

“Omo… How did you---“

 

“Go ahead Hyun Bin-ah… Take your noona there.” His father said. “Thank you once more Dara-ssi. Send our deepest gratitude towards Jiyong.” He said before carrying Eunbi in his arms and walking away.

 

“Bye unnie!” Eunbi said and I could just wave my hand at her.

 

Now back to the serious matter!!!

 

Aiyooo! I feel like I’m slowly turning to a Gollum-like creature in search for that ring!

 

“My precious!!!” Aisht! I’m turning into a lunatic!

 

“Noona, let’s go.” Hyun Bin said and I could just follow him inside the car once more.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

“We’re here!”
 

Okay… So we’re inside an exclusive subdivision, alright.

 

And before me is a two storey-house with a modern design I could just hang my mouth wide open at how beautiful it is.

 

Okay. Now where’s my ring???

 

 

“W-w-hat does my ring have to do in this house?” I asked Hyun Bin but the boy just smiled and pulled me by the hand. I looked back at Joongki oppa and he nodded with a smile.

 

 

“KYaaaaah!!! Hyung! They’re here! They’re here!!!”

 

Was that Seungri?

 

I took a peep  through the door and from here I can see Seungri approaching with Youngbae.

 

“Noona!!!” Seungri  who’s always enthusiastic and excited hugged me while Youngbae was smiling at me like his eyes are going to disappear.

 

“W-w-w-hat’s going on?”

 

Seungri pulled out from the hug and guided me inside the house.

 

“Noona, I need to show you something.” Seungri said and they guided me into a room.

 

“God…” I had to clamp my mouth as soon as I saw the room. It’s a replica of my work area back in our apartment, it’s just that this is a fancier, cozier version. Framed on the wall were my designs featured on magazines and at the middle was…

 

Me?

 

“What’s going on? Tell me… What’s going on?” I asked Seungri as tears started to flow from my eyes. I somehow have and idea but it’s too early to assume.

 

Youngbae guided me forward to the table and I saw another envelope on it. I quickly opened it and read the note.

 

“Did you like it? Still looking for the ring? Well how about trying to remember where you first met the iest…the most handsome…the most adorable Seoul PD inspector?”

 

My heart started to beat wildly against my chest. Soon tears started to flow continuously on my cheeks, blurring my vision but I could just care less. I slowly turned around to face Joongki oppa, Seungri, Youngbae and Hyun Bin who were all smiling sweetly at me.

 

How could I be so stupid all the while?

 

I was so preoccupied with the ring. How could I forget all the clues in those notes…

 

All those firsts… It was with Jiyong!

And the rightful owner… The first clue says the ring is in the hands of the rightful owner!

 

It’s Jiyong!

 

I forced a smile as I wiped the tears on my face. I wanted to cry out loud in so much joy though I don’t even know what awaits me.

 

Without any word I dashed out of the room, out of the house while I could just sob in a whole lot of emotions I am feeling right now. Joongki oppa came behind me and guided me inside the car.

 

“Got an idea where the ring is?” he asked.

 

 

“Oh oppa! I could never be more sure!”

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

JIYONG’S POV

 

 

 

I looked at my watch and tapped my right foot impatiently on the floor. This is just about the most awkward, unspecial place to propose to our girlfriend but… Does it matter?

 

This place is so damn unforgettable to me. I wish it also is for her. Soon I heard a pair of footsteps half running, half walking up the stairs. God… please make sure she’s fine. I’ll never forgive myself if something happens to them.

 

I could just trust my senses while I faced the end of the wall as the flickering lights above me made my vision worse. Soon, the pair of footsteps stopped I think by the end of the hallway.

I smiled knowingly.

I was about to turn around to face her but she spoke immediately right before I can.

 

“Freeze! Put your hands up!”

 

I could just hang my mouth wide open.

 

What the hell?

 

“J-j-ag---“

 

“One wrong move and I’ll make sure I’ll blow your head off.”

 

My eyes burned as tears started to pool in my eyes. I chuckled as memories of that night came running down my thoughts.

 

She remembered.

 

The first time we met.

 

She remembered.

 

 

“Don’t… don’t come near me?” I and soon, all I can hear is her sobs.

 

“Jagiya…” I turned around only to see her running her way towards me, I could just meet her and wrap my arms around her.

 

“I hate you…Oh God… I hate you Jiyong!” she said as she cried and sobbed and hit me in the chest. I let her cry in my arms for I realized I was crying too. I her back and head as we get lost in each other’s embrace.

 

“So… I guess I’ll get suspended again for another misconduct.”I said making her pull herself back.

 

“W-w-hat?”

 

“I… stole something...” I told her making her furrow her brows. I wiped way her tears and tucked her hair behind her ears.

 

“Looking for this?” I asked as I raised my hand, showing her the million dollar ring she’s been looking for.

I looked at her and she couldn’t form any appropriate word to say. She opened only to close it afterwards. And I took my chance.

 

Yes. Right here. Right now.

 

“Shhh….” I told her and kissed her trembling lips lightly. I held her waist, pulling her close to me while the other’s cupping her cheek.

 

“You… don’t have to ask me baby…” I told her with my shaky voice as tears started to blur my vision again. “See? It’s here… On my finger… You don’t have to ask… You don’t.”

 

She sighed and closed her eyes and I could just rest my forehead against hers as I rubbed her cheeks.

 

“Wherever we go… whoever we meet along our way… whatever awaits us in the future, I will always… always treasure and go back to this very special place. Where I met an ahjumma next door…  Where I discovered a hidden treasure…  Where I found love…”

 

“Jiyong… This is too much…” she said as she sobbed uncontrollably. “Thank you… I don’t know what to say… I..”

 

 “It’s always been my pleasure… my honor to be your many firsts jagiya… But please… Let’s be each other’s last… Marry me, please? Oh I’m not going to ask you! Just marry me!!!” I told her making her cover and pull back from the hug.

 

I slowly took out the ring inside my pocket and pulled her hand.

 

“Jagiya… Marry me… Please…  Let’s start a family.”

 

She bit her lip to suppress her smile and I think I just died when she  nodded.

“Thank you! Thank you baby… I love you so much…Oh God!!!” I could just wrap my arms around her and kiss her head.

 

So, this is how it feels… I feel like I was floating… In happiness… In perfect bliss.

 

 I was still crying with tears of joy when I slipped the ring on her finger with my trembling hands and could just smile idiotically because it suits her perfectly.

 

“It’s pretty…”

 

“That isn’t worth even a million dollar… But it’s worth all my heart. I love you my future Mrs. Kwon…”

 

“And I love you too, Mr. Kwon… “ She chuckled before taking my hand in hers. She gently took it to her flat stomach and right then and there, I know, she’s gonna tell it to me.

 

Oh my God!  Oh my God!!!

 

“Jiyong… We… already… We already have a little Kwon here.” She said and immediately blushed and bit her lip again.

 

KYAAAAH! FINALLY I CAN SPAZZZ!!!

 

After days of suppressing my excitement, finally!!!

 

 

I bit my lip as I her tummy as I bent down and talked to the little creature as if he can hear me.

 

"Yah, little Kwon... Be a good child arasso? Omma here... she might have a hard time carrying you. I hope you're a boy... because I might lose my mind protecting two girls now from asshol-"

 

"Jiyong! How can you say such word!" OMG I forgot! Damn. Way to ruin a moment, aisht!

 

"S-s-orry baby... Just got... excited. You know..." I stood up and took her hands in mine.

 

At least right now, all the tensions and nervousness I've been feeling has died.

 

 

“Jagiya, you know why I made you go around with those missions on the notes?”

 

“N-o…”

 

“Because I want you to always bear in your mind and heart that even the simplest way we do… Even the smallest detail in our lives… I keep it here.” I said as I took her hand and rested it on my chest… Where my heart is still beating frantically against it. “And when we grow old, this little Kwon inside you, I want him to realize how much love it took us to finally make him.”

 

“Jiyong what’s wrong with you? This is too much… I love you… I love you so much…” She said as she hugged me again as she cried and trembled in my arms.

 

Oh God… She’s been crying a lot.

I mean I cried too but, heol! I’m not the one who’s pregnant!

 

 

 

 One moment she's mad and then she's speechless and now... 

 

I guess I need to enroll at TOP hyung's DEALING-WITH-A-PREGNANT-WOMAN-101.

 

 

“I love you more baby… Please… stop crying already.” I tried to stop her but she’s still sobbing, wetting my shirt with her tears.

 

 

I sighed in relief as I noticed the shadows before me, merrily jumping up and down, dancing in joy as they tried to keep their mouth shut.

 

 

From the left is TOP hyung…hugging Bom noona dearly for I know she’s crying too. 

 

Youngbae was wiping his eyes with his shirt exposing his chocolate abs and I could just wonder why he’s still single.

 

Daesung was hugging Minzy from behind while the girl was nudging him.

 

Seungri who was CL’s back pumped his fist in the air for a fighting sign and I know what this ert rat means by that…

 

Joongki hyung had his arms crossed and nodded at me and I could just smile at him. He’s been a huge help.

 

I switched my gaze to a corner and saw a boy who was waving his hand while the other is doing a thumbs up sign. I felt proud of him. This boy named Hyun Bin.

 

I don’t know what emotions the boy has been stirring inside me for I can see myself in him. I just hope… he’ll live cleanly now.

 

 

 

I turned to my baby girl once more and her hair, her face still buried in my chest.

 

I sighed in content.

 

Soon, we’ll be a family.

 

I looked around the hallway and my eyes fell to our own apartment’s door.

 

The same one that served as her fortress, her world, our shed… our love nest.

 

This place, no matter how memorable it is… We need to let go of it as we reach another phase in our lives.

 

I felt a tinge of pain realizing we had to leave soon. But at the same time hopeful for the next tenant to occupy the place.

 

I hope they’d find the same happiness we’ve felt here.

 

I hope they’ll take good care of it.

 

 

 

This very unit… This apartment which we once called our home.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

A/N:

 

Now we're down to the epilogue... TT_TT

 

Aiyoo... I've been posting as much as I can because I don't want to keep you guys hanging. The last part's already the epilogue and I hope I can post it tonight or if not... the next day.

 

I do want to take this space to thank you all for reading this story, for sending in your wonderful comments and interacting with me, and for upvoting this fic.

 

The next story in line after this is  THE KING'S ASSASSIN (a period drama), also a daragon/topbom/ririn story since I can't get enough of them. You guys might want to chect it out too.

 

Until then I still need to find enough confidence to write again.

 

Kamsahamnida! *bows (__)