2 of 5

The Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungyeol and Myungsoo work together to light the way down the dark caved path. Both of them have set their bodies on fire with a cold flame. It illuminates the haunting cave as they lead the others who follow swiftly on their heels. They’re running on instinct, trying their best to concentrate on the faint scent that’s guiding them. They feel the earth beneath them trying to sense the indistinct aura in hopes it’ll lead them the right way to its owner.

 

They’re all familiar with each other’s scent and bodily elemental aura, so much that they’re able to find each other. Each person who has strong elemental powers have their own unique scent and/or bodily elemental aura. Some have a combination, like Sunggyu, while others may only have a scent or an aura. An aura is connected to their element and those who are strong can sense all elements, like all of them, can use that ability to sense the owner's presence. Only those who feel akin and spend a lot of time together are able to familiarize these distinguish characteristics once the owner allows them to do so.

 

Woohyun speeds in front of them when he feels like they are close. He feels it in every step that he takes in contact with the dirt on his flat shoes that Sunggyu is in the distance. He feels his heart racing faster than his running. He worries if they’re too late but he tries to convince himself that they're not going to be late.

 

Because Sunggyu is strong.

 

And because Sunggyu said everything will be okay.

 

Sungyeol watches Woohyun’s determined back speed ahead of him but suddenly slows down when he feels this growing uneasiness from the ground.

 

As the others rush ahead of him, he watches them but slows to a stop feeling something isn’t right. He also feels like they’re close but something is missing. It’s clearly Sunggyu that he’s sensing from the earth but at the same time, it’s not.

 

He tries to concentrate as he stands still. His arms are stretched out, palms facing the ground as he senses the earth’s familiar aura enveloped him in an embrace. He tries to decipher what its telling him about Sunggyu.

 

He quickly cuts off the connection with the earth when he realizes the message.

 

His eyes widen in shock. He feels a chill creeping across his upper body. He hugs himself as he falls to his knees feeling helpless.

 

Hoya is the first to notice Sungyeol is missing from the running pack and stops to turn around. In the far distance, he sees flames hugging Sungyeol’s body still but the man is on his knees.  

 

“Why are you stopping?!” Hoya shouts unable to see Sungyeol’s facial expression.

 

The others stop to look at Sungyeol but Woohyun keeps running straight ahead.

 

He feels close. He knows he is. The scent isn’t strong but its enough for him to know for sure that he’s almost there. He ignores the suspicious feeling from the earth and keeps running.

 

His senses are heightened when he reaches a large oak archway leading to a small circle room that’s connected to a larger room through another yet smaller archway.

 

All he can smell is dirt and blood once he steps foot inside the small circle room. The air is dry and cold. His heart continues to pound against his chest rapidly. Myungsoo’s body flames are emitting light just enough for him to see the inside the small room but the larger room across the second archway is pitch black.

 

He stops when he reaches the middle of the small room trying to catch his breath. He can't see any further forward so he looks behind him to see the others frozen in their places.

 

“You guys, I think I found something,” He shouts to them but then realizes that Sungyeol is kneeling on the ground farther than everyone else. Hoya is helping him up soon after and they rush over to the other’s to briefly stop. Woohyun watches them curious as they talk about something that Woohyun can’t hear. He can barely see their faces from the darkness and how their backs are facing him. They finally start running towards him and he turns around feeling uneasy.

 

He shakes the feeling to close his eyes and turn his focus on trying to find Sunggyu’s scent once more. He feels that it's close but for some reason it feels far away still. He opens his eyes and frowns at the growing anxiety. He realizes that something isn’t right.

 

The others catch up to him and he gets a glimpse of Sungyeol’s face that’s full of panic. The other stop once they reach by his side and just as he’s about to ask what they were talking about, Sungyeol rushes right past him and into the larger room.

 

“What’s going on?” Woohyun asks under his breath finally. The others are quiet as Hoya grabs onto Woohyun’s wrist. Woohyun turns to look at Hoya and is surprised to see the other on the verge of tears. Hoya quickly blinks those tears away and stares at Sungyeol’s back who’s guardedly stepping into the larger room.

 

Woohyun then looks at the others around him and they’re not looking at him but watching Sungyeol carefully. Sungjong and Myungsoo look like they’re in disbelief while Dongwoo looks like he's about to break any moment.

 

He turns to watch Sungyeol in the larger room like everyone else and still doesn’t understand what's going on. He f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter