4 of 4

The Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It happened so fast,”

 

We didn’t make it.

 

We couldn’t save him.


 

The first time it happened, it was just as confusing as your time.

 

 

The only difference now compared to the first time is the fact that you are very privilege. They found a developing way to prevent it. There was finally a way to make the bonds stronger, a sacrifice had to be made in the process but only to ensure the next decade’s peace and prosperity through the act of this tradition.

 

 

My dear child of the future, you must understand that those who have survived can not speak. Therefore, I relay this message through your dreams as you heal because it is the only way. As the last person who had sacrificed for our future, I warn you of the suffering that is going to come.

 

The first time it happened was during the 10th time the tradition was being held. The 100 year mark was upon the land. The land was still unstable but prosperous. Because it was unstable, the newly established system needed to be kept and enforced to keep the peace.

 

 

Therefore, a fight had to occur no matter what. No matter how tired our youth was of watching the fights and training for it. The fight could not be stopped because if it did, a war over power would break out and a division upon people would be greater than ever.

 

Things were going as it was normally but an unknown spark in the beginning changed everything. A spark that signified that a danger was coming.

 

 

A spark that should have warned us to stop. A spark that marked one of the first to die.

 

There was no way saving the one that was marked the first time.

 

 

The first real permanent death of a fight caused a lot of controversy in the public and an outbreak of political problems from within.

 

 

No one understood how the bond protecting our young fighters could be broken. That is why within that year, a special force within the elders was created to investigate and find a solution.

 

 

However, they couldn’t really do much because this was a one out of ten cases. They had to wait until the next decade for the ritual to begin and a cycle to return once more.

 

The second time it happened was that following decade. Everyone was much more cautious that decade but the inevitable happened regardless.

 

 

The first death was on the brink of seriously crossing over to the land of the dead but they were prepared this time. They saved them but there was too much blood loss.

 

 

Blood loss that did not just disappear and dissolve like how it normally does after healing. It stayed in the present and was kept because it was strange.

 

The same as the last, a spark during the ritual process was seen.

 

 

 

The investigators now knew what was wrong, it was the bonding ritual. It wasn’t created to be strong enough to withstand a fight every decade. Soon, the bond would weaken and they would need something to strengthen it.

 

 

But what?

 

Tests and further investigation was done. It was barbaric.

 

 

Tests on only the first death and the winner were done because they volunteered. It didn’t protect them though from the tests that were done. It drained every inch of their strength until they were left with almost nothing. Only the winner and the elders knew of what was being done.

 

 

No answers were given to the people. No replies were made. It was all a secret. It was a dark secret that needed to be kept to ensure the peace.

 

The blood that was saved from the first death was used in one of the processes for the following decade's ritual, and thankfully it stopped happening.

 

They finally figured out a way to prevent it. They were happy to keep the tradition alive. They were happy to have prevented another real death.

 

 

But it was at a price. Our first death and our previous decade leader died unexpectedly at the same time. They passed so early. They were so young and so fearless. They were brave.

 

But soon, all good things must come to an end.  The bond was broken once more.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter