Night Out...And In

Please Let It Be With Me

“Kim! Hyung! Over here!” Taemin called out to Key, using his last name as to not attract attention as he came closer to the entrance of the late night shopping mall. 

“Hey Tae! I’m really glad you could come.” Key said, extremely happy that Taemin had agreed. 

“So shopping or ice cream first?” Taemin asked, happy to go along with whatever Key wanted to do. 

“Shopping, then ice cream.” Key replied. 

 

The two walked along the halls of the mall, going into every store they wanted to go into. Taemin had picked up a liking to shopping, so unlike the other members, he was more than happy to go shopping with Key, he and Key just never seemed to have overlapping free time or the energy to spend much time at the mall together. 

 

After buying what they wanted, the two boys sat down to enjoy some ice cream. Being this close to Taemin made Key think about how he was going to go about winning Taemin’s heart. Minho told him in order for real feelings to be developed on Taemin’s part, Key had to appeal to Taemin as a confidant, a shoulder to cry on, a person he could vent to, and a person Taemin couldn’t possibly be without. This all had to happen naturally of course in order to keep his friendship with Jonghyun and Taemin as well, but Key knew he had to act fast because Jonghyun’s quirkiness and overall charming and unique personality was hard to refuse. 

 

“Hyung? You ok?” Taemin asked his ice cream cone with a confused look on his face. 

“Yeah. I was just thinking.” Key replied. 

“About what?” Taemin asked. 

“Ah nothing. Just sort of how awkward it’s been around the dorm is all.” Key replied cooly. 

“I know what you mean.” Taemin agreed. 

“Do you think Minho and Onew hyung are good for each other?” Key asked suddenly. 

“I think they are a good match. They balance each other well and they are really sweet to each other.” Taemin said smiling. 

“Do you think opposites really attract?” Key asked, really wanting to know Taemin’s view on romance. 

“I suppose so, but they can’t be too different, otherwise there’s nothing there. I know why Onew hyung is trying to become friends with Minho hyung first. Because the feelings are there, but establishing a much needed connection has to happen.” Taemin said. 

“How do people balance each other?” Key asked, wanting to go further to see what Taemin thought. 

“Like take you and um...me! We’re very different, but close, and also have common interests. I guess it’s true for all of SHINee...we bring out the best in each other.” Taemin said. 

“...give me examples.” 

“Um...ok...well you’re very outspoken and blunt and I’m more on the shy side but you brought me out of my shell when we debuted. You also are not ashamed of your actions and you don’t seem to have regrets while I doubt myself a lot. I guess in a way, I try my best to become someone I’m not ashamed to be, like you. And stuff like that.” Taemin answered really thinking on it. 

“You’re a lot wiser than you lead on, you know.” Key said smiling at Taemin. 

“No one gives me a chance to grow up.” Taemin replied. 

 

Key was sort of just staring at Taemin, entranced by his angelic and unworldly handsome features. 

 

“Hyung...why are you staring at me like that?” Taemin asked, a tad creeped out by the prolonged eye contact Key held with him with no blinking or conversation to diffuse the lasers coming from his eyes. 

“Nothing. You just look really cute today!” Key said, trying to perform his most charming eye smile

“Hyung! Why cute?” Taemin whined. 

“Cause you are. Get over it Lee Taemin. You’re adorable and you know it!” Key insisted, reaching for Taemin’s silky soft hand and gripping it without noticing. 

Taemin was not sure what was going on. 


“Hyung. What has been going on with you lately?” Taemin asked. 

“What do you mean?” Key asked nervously. 

“First, you hardly talk to Jonghyun hyung any more. You guys used to be so close! Second, you’re quieter and you space out a lot. And third, why are you...” 

“Taemin, do you like Jonghyun hyung?” Key interrupted. A twinge of sadness was lingering in his voice. 

“What?!” Taemin asked flustered.  

“You like him don’t you.” Key stated bitterly. 

“I don’t know yet, okay?”

“Just keep on a lookout. You never know who could come in and change your feelings.” Key said, mysteriously. 

“What is that supposed to mean?” Taemin asked, annoyed at Key being all cryptic when he was usually so frank about things. 

“I’m saying that while you’re not sure of your feelings, they’ll be easy to change and someone else could swoop in and completely change them in their favor. Keep your eyes open and your feelings open as well, because you need to give love a chance whenever it comes to you.” Key said, pouring out his feelings, hoping Taemin would understand. 

 

Taemin twitched his nose like a bunny in thought and his forehead creased in deep pondering. Then it seemed like the lightbulb went off and Key waited, holding his breath, hoping that Taemin would catch his drift. 

 

“Do...you like Jonghyun hyung?” Taemin asked confusedly. 

 

What the...

 

“Are you serious?” Key asked taken aback. 

“Yeah. Do you like him?” 

 

Why don’t you see how much I like you?

 

“No of course not! I’m getting coffee, do you want something?” Key asked angrily. 

 

He’ll never see my feelings. 

 


Taemin shook his head no and Key stormed off leaving an incredibly confused Taemin and barely eaten ice cream behind. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Hyung!” Minho called out. 

“Oh my goodness! Minho have you been standing outside this whole time?” Onew asked, feeling terrible for taking so long. 

“It’s better going into that hot, sweaty club I thought Key was gonna take me in. And besides, I was really happy when Key said you were gonna come.” Minho said back, a little shyness coming through. 

“Key was gonna take you clubbing?” Onew asked, laughing, thinking that that wasn’t quite Minho’s cup of tea. 

“Yeah. I’m not really a club person. I don’t think jumping in a circle and fist pumping or having my eardrums ruptured is as fun as Key thinks it is.” Minho stated making Onew chuckle, his voice cracking a little bit. 

 

Stop it. You’re too cute Onew hyung. 

 

What the hell was that Jinki?! A goddamn voice crack?! Are you an adolescent?! 

 

Instead of clubbing or drinking alcohol or anything of that sort, the two boys settled for coffee in a seriously cute cafe. In the cafe, however, it seemed like everyone was in pairs, all being couples in romantic relationships. 

 

Minho found one cute couple in particular in a corner. They were an older couple who held hands across the table, their old fashioned engagement rings very much visible. They looked so happy, so comfortable, so secure with their marriage and each other. They looked in love and they looked like they wouldn’t change any of their years together for anything. They grew and are growing old together. Minho didn’t really express much in the way of romantic stuff, but he did dream of growing old with someone, and not regretting a single moment together. 

 

“Minho ah, I didn’t know you were such a romantic.” Onew said smiling. 

“Sorry hyung, but that couple over there is so cute. I couldn’t help it.” Minho said smiling into his coffee. 

 

You’re so cute, Minho. I can’t help it. 

 

“So Minho...I know you have a day off, so I was wondering if you wanted to play football in the park and play video games tomorrow?” 

“Hyung are you serious?!” Minho asked, making Onew nervous. 

“If you don’t want to that’s ok...” Onew began 

“No! Oh my god! Hyung that sounds so fun! Of course I will!” Minho said. 

“I was thinking we could play FIFA and some Mortal Kombat.” Onew added on. 

“Hyung that sounds amazing. I’m looking forward to it!” Minho said excitedly, making Onew relax in his seat. 

 

Does he really wanna do all the things I like to do? We never hang out. This will be so great. 

 

Thank god you said yes. Minho I would do anything as long as it was with you. 

 

The two boys spent more time talking about their plans for the next day, all the while becoming closer friends as time wore on. Onew’s first goal was achieved. Operation Not Super Close Friends With Minho But Friends None The Less was complete. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Damn it! Damn it all to hell!” Jonghyun yelled throwing the couch cushions across the room. 

“Ow!” Taemin exclaimed. 

“Taemin?!” Did I just hit you?" Jonghyun asked apologetically and surprised. 

"Yeah. It's ok hyung. Did you leave the dorm?" Taemin asked, hoping Jonghyun didn't stay home by himself. 

"Uh yeah. I felt tired." Jonghyun said trying not to sound too pathetic. 

Taemin sat down sighing heavily.

“What’s up with you?” Jonghyun asked trying to switch his thoughts off of the fact that Taemin went out with Key.
“Key got mad at me or something, went to get coffee in a huff, saw someone he knew and so I left and walked back here.” Taemin pouted. 

“I’m sorry Tae. Key can be thoughtless sometimes.” Jonghyun replied. “...are you up for a movie?” 

“Yeah! Something scary! Bring it on! You seem down too so let's have fun, shall we?” Taemin yelled. Jonghyun laughed. 

 

The rest of the night consisted of Taemin laughing his off at the horror movie and Jonghyun clawing Taemin’s shoulder out of fear that Sadako Yamamura would crawl out of the actual TV. Taemin and Jonghyun both simultaneously told their own hearts to calm themselves. 

 

Later that night, Onew and Minho came home laughing and saw a very cute Taemin sleeping on the couch like an angel and Jonghyun sleeping half on the couch, half on the floor like a dead fish. Onew was heading off to bed when he plugged in his cell phone to charge. Minho went over to do the same so his phone didn’t wake him up on his morning off and he saw that Onew had a lot of missed calls from Joon and Jessica. This didn’t sit well with Minho and he felt uncomfortable with a dash of jealousy. Minho went to bed feeling uneasy. 

 

Key didn’t come home that night. 

 

A/N: I'm back! Thank you all for waiting. Hope you enjoy <3