And So It Begins

Please Let It Be With Me

“So...” 

“Jjong, don’t look at me like that. I’m not gonna tell you what happened. And why do you care? What the hell is there to tell? After the shoot Minho and I went for bubble tea and food.” Onew said trying really hard to not punch the smirk off of his friend’s face. 

 

“Oh oh! And did you wear couple t-shirts and take selcas on LineCamera too?” Jonghyun asked sarcastically while making cutesy faces. While a laugh or a blush was what he was looking for, all Jonghyun received from Onew was a face full of Onew’s chicken pillow-pet that was angrily whipped at him. 

 

“Yah! Don’t be like that!” Onew exclaimed! 

“So when are you gonna tell him you have the hots for him?” Jonghyun went right out and said it. 

“W...how...I...wh...” Onew stuttered. 

“I knew from the moment you asked to join in on the shoot. Hyung, you’re easy to read.” Jonghyun explained. “You look kinda cute together. Not going to lie, I’m kind of jealous.” 

 

“Why are you jealous?! Don’t you have...I don’t know...” Onew trailed off. 

“What don’t I have Key? Was that what you were gonna say?” Jonghyun asked laughing. 

“Well, I don’t know, you two always act like that.” Onew commented. 

“Well I’m the skinship king and apparently people ship me and Key hard which is funny cause he’s not quite my type. I do it cause fans like it and I like watching Key when he gets embarrassed. It’s hilarious.” Jonghyun commented, still laughing, surprising Onew. 

“Huh. I didn’t know all of this. I thought it was Jongkey 5ever, you know?” Onew said laughing and puzzled at the same time. 

“I have my sights set on someone else.” Jonghyun said dreamily thinking of a certain dancer while looking wistfully out into the distance, but then blushing because of embarrassment at what he said. 

“Is he your type?” Onew asked, teasing. 

“W...how do you know...uh...where did you come up with that?! Why do you think it’s a guy?!” Jonghyun yelled, chuckling nervously, his speech sprinkled with interrobangs, not believing where Onew got the idea, because, hell yes, he was right. 

“Jjong...how does someone not know? I looked it up, fans know you like guys. Keke. So what is your type?” Onew said, further making Jonghyun turn red. 

 

Jonghyun was mad at Onew for prying but he was so excited about his newfound crush on Taemin, that he wanted to scream it to the heavens. Jonghyun then at that moment realized he and Taemin had not talked since he ran out of the dorm to go to the store the previous day. Taemin even came back with the ingredients but then ended up making cookies with Key while Jonghyun was sleeping. Taemin had been sticking close to Key since he got back from the grocery store. 

 

“I like people who look like mushrooms and love bananas!” Jonghyun screamed quickly and ran out of the room, flustered. In the hallway, Jonghyun ran into what felt like a wall. 

“Ah!” 

“Omo! Hey brother!” Jonghyun exclaimed nervously finding it was the solid body of Minho that he ran into. Thank god it wasn’t Taemin was all that he was thinking. 

 

Jonghyun stood up and scurried away leaving a very confused Minho looking after him. Just then, a puzzled Onew came out of Jonghyun’s bedroom. 

 

“You know what that was about?” Onew asked Minho. The sweet smooth honey voice of Onew snapped Minho out whatever blank nothingness he was staring at. Minho turned around to face an adorable looking Onew who had his glasses on and his pajamas on as well. 

 

Minho couldn’t help but smile at his cute hyung. “That’s the face he gets when there’s something he wants but doesn’t have.” Minho said trying to hold in his laughter. 

 

“He likes someone evidently.” Onew commented. “Mushrooms and bananas, he said.” 

“Hyung!” Minho exclaimed. “You do know who he’s talking about don’t you?” It was quite obvious. 

“I can’t think of anyone...” Onew said. Minho chuckled. 

 

Minho, in his free time, really wanted to spend time with Onew. Minho and Onew decided to take a walk outside. Both boys could not be happier. It was cold, but being next to each other, they didn’t seem to mind. 

 

 

Meanwhile, Key was making dinner, Taemin was in the living room and Jonghyun was going back and forth wondering which one of the two blonde dancers he would rather talk to. The one thats avoiding him since their awkward interaction, or the one that’ll nag him for doing something stupid. He chose Key in the end, just because he knew that talking to Taemin would be like pulling teeth. Long, painful, never ending, and in the end mind-numbingly exhausting. Taemin was stubborn and also passive-aggressive, so he would only answer in short, vague answers that obviously indicated he would rather be alone, but would never go right out and say it unless he were really, really pissed. Jonghyun sat at the counter watching Key cook something. Jonghyun never really knew with Key. Minho could read Key like a book, but Jonghyun on the other hand, could not tell what Key was thinking or what kind of mood he was in. 

 

Jonghyun cautiously began a conversation. 

 

“Key...” 

“What Jjong?” Key snapped, sending him a glare. 

“N..nothing.” Jonghyun retorted, afraid of continuing. 

“No. What is it Jjong hyung? Did you have something to say to me or are you just gonna continue to stare at me?” Key asked, impatient. 

 

Just then Jonghyun got a good idea. If Onew was too dense to figure it out, perhaps Key could help him with his Taemin situation. 

 

“So umma.”

“So Jjong.” Key replied back, mocking Jonghyun’s tone. 

“I wanna ask you something...I have someone I like and...” Jonghyun continued only to be stopped by Key.

“Please tell me it’s not me!” Key exclaimed.

“Wh...why would you assume it’s you?” Jonghyun asked, embarrassed for about the fourth time that night. 

“Oh so it’s not?! Thank god!” Key sighed in relief. 

 

While Jonghyun did not like Key, he was still slightly offended that it was a relief that it wasn’t him. Jonghyun considered himself good-looking, talented, etc. He was a little hurt inside that Key felt the need to act like Jonghyun not liking him was similar to him discovering he didn’t have the black plague. 

 

“No it’s not you, stupid.” Jonghyun snapped, trying to make a good comeback but miserably failing. 

“If I’m so stupid why don’t you go ask Taemin for relationship advice?” Key gestured over to Taemin who was curled up on the couch, a blanket over his head as if he were a nun in a convent, watching TV and drinking a banana milk. Jonghyun blushed. 

“That’s the thing...it sort of involves Taemin.” Jonghyun winced, waiting for Key’s opinion on the situation. 

“Wait....what?!” Key asked, sounding hurt. 

“What’s wrong Key? Did I say something...” 

“You like Taemin?” Key asked, tears threatening to escape his eyes. 

“Y..yeah....Key whats....” Jonghyun began but it was no use, midway through Jonghyun’s sentence, Key put down everything, tore off his apron, grabbed his coat and ran out of the dorm, not having enough time for Jonghyun to stop him. 


The door slammed, and Taemin turned around wide-eyed. “What the hell happened to Key hyung?” Taemin asked, worried. 

“Did you....” Taemin began. 

 

“No Taemin, I didn’t do anything! I told him something, he ran out. I don’t know what the just happened!” Jonghyun threw his hands up in the air, angry at the confusing situation. 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

You’re such an idiot! How could you even think you have a chance with Taemin? Jonghyun is a thousand times better for Taemin! More talented, more handsome, more manly, he’s nicer! He also probably has the courage to eventually confess, and here you are, a coward, who just lost to someone who didn’t even know he was playing. Jesus, Key, what the is wrong with you?! 

 

Key ran. He ran pretty far. Faster than he thought he could run, the tears streaming down his face. Key was running still when he found himself behind a couple of guys, one in a black winter coat, one in a blue winter coat. 

 

I know that blue winter coat anywhere. Key thought as he caught up to the two guys. The teary eyed Key turned the guy in the blue winter coat around. 

 

“Key?!” Minho exclaimed, noticing Key’s very thin looking jacket. Minho decided to drape his winter coat over Key’s shoulders as Key walked to Minho and wrapped his arms around his best friend’s waist, burrowing into his chest. Onew’s heart was breaking in two, watching Key be so devastated. 

 

“Onew hyung, why don’t you go home? It’s cold, and I don’t want you to get sick. I’ll walk with Key for a while.” Minho said sweetly to Onew. 

 

“Sure Minho.” Onew said disappointed that his walk with Minho was over and that Minho seemed to handle the situation better than he, the leader, could. 

 

Onew walked back to the dorm and as soon as he opened the door he met a wide-eyed Taemin. “Is Key hyung okay? Did you see him?” Taemin asked, worried. 

Neh, Tae. He caught up with us and he’s in good hands with Minho. Hopefully he won’t let Key drink his sorrows away. Do you know why he might be upset?” Onew asked. 

“He was cooking, Jonghyun hyung was talking to him, then Key yelled what and then ran out of the house. I don’t know what hyung said or if Key was in a bad mood previously.” 

“Oh. He was in such a good mood this afternoon. When I was hanging out with him, he cooked me lunch and folded my clothes, and gave me a facial!” Taemin exclaimed, confused at Key’s sudden change in behavior from the afternoon. 

 

Taemin expressed more of his worries and Onew managed to make Taemin laugh a bit to ease his anxieties about Key. Then Taemin asked a weird question. 

 

“Do you think I should ask for a different hairstyle next time? Like something really different?” Taemin asked. 

“Um...you look good with that one...but yeah something new could be nice, Tae.” Onew replied, ever confused by the maknae. 

“Well Key hyung told me I can’t look like a mushroom forever.” Taemin replied, laughing a bit. 

 

Mushroom? 

 

“A mushroom?” Onew asked sort of connecting the dots. 

“Yeah he always says I look like a mushroom, ever since debut. Whenever I didn’t have my hair extensions in.” Taemin replied. 

 

Onew just stood there with his mouth wide open. It was a long moment before Taemin decided it was time to end the conversation because it went absolutely nowhere and Onew was starting to scare him. 

 

“Um. Hyung? I’m gonna go eat a Banana Baby. Do you know if we have any banana milk as well?” Taemin asked, his love for bananas making his eyes sparkle. 

“BANANAS?!” Onew shouted in Taemin’s face making Taemin look utterly baffled. 

 

Mushroom. Bananas. Oh . Jonghyun likes Taemin. And Key....did Key have anything to do with this? Does Minho know? 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Key, tell me what happened.” Minho said calmly as he and Key sat down at a bar. 

“The person I like...well I now know I have competition and I know for a fact that I won’t win.” Key replied. 

 

Minho’s heart shattered for the usually confident Key, who really was usually the one giving advice. 

 

“And so...” Minho began, trying to push almost crying Key to telling him details. 

“That competition is someone I really care about over someone else that I truly love. Either way I can’t win. If by some luck they end up falling for me, I lose a good friend. And if I allow the person to go with my good friend, I obviously won’t have the person I love and I feel like I will resent this other person and I don’t want that to happen.” Key explained, choking on the last words. 

 

Minho understood Key’s words, thinking that that made complete sense. 

 

“Would you mind telling me who...” Minho began. 

“I am in love with Lee Taemin and the other one competing for his heart is, god help me, Kim Jonghyun.” Key said wanting to get up onto the bar and kick off all the glasses and go Godzilla on the place out of anger. 

 

This makes sense now. Perfect sense. 

 

“I’m so sorry, Key. This must be so hard. I think that just because it’s Jonghyun hyung, you should not think you don’t have a chance. If Jonghyun hyung really loves Taemin and wins him over, or the other way around, you both, I know it, will let Taemin be happy and not resent each other. Don’t fight over him, don’t make him feel uncomfortable. Be yourselves and in time, let him choose, I guess. The worst thing you could do is hurt Taemin by fighting with each other, you know?” Minho said, rubbing circles on Key’s back. 

 

After talking for awhile, hearing the whole story, Key wanted to know more about Minho’s relationship status. 

 

“So what’s your plan?” Key asked, smirking now. 

“What plan for what?” Minho asked back, not knowing what the hell Key was referring to. 

“Plan for Onew hyung. You like him, he likes you, and so help me god, the whole world secretly ships you together.” Key said plainly. 

“What? First of all, how the hell do you know about this? Second of all, no one thinks we even like each other or talk to each other! They don’t want to see MinhoxOnew at all! People love when Taemin and I do fanservice, even when I do fanservice with you or Jonghyun hyung! But with Onew, people don’t consider us close in any way, and thus I don’t ever get to see him!” Minho explained, disappointed in what seemed like the harsh reality. 

“Who cares what others think, you two are seriously cute together. I know because it’s so obvious. Both of you blush and steal glances all the time. So tell me, flaming charisma, what is your plan to show Onew your feelings?” Key asked again. 

“I think I want to become friends with him first. I want to get to know hyung before anything else. I want to meet Lee Jinki.” Minho said, a smile forming on his lips. 

 

A/N: Sorry it has been so long! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy. Finally some Onho up in here! And oh god. Drama! But this is just the start. Onho will NOT be all rainbows and cottoncandy and smooth taffy going from here so look forward to it and I love you guys! :D ALSO LOTS MORE ONHO IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!! I PROMISE ^___^