3

My Abductor, My Love

Daehyun returned Eunji to the “study chamber” after they had their fill of yummy food.  He kissed Eunji on the hand and winked at her before leaving, startling her.  She hadn’t expected that.  The other two girls were already there and Kyuyun grinned at her after Daehyun left.

“So, how was your time together?”  Kyuyun asked waggling her eyebrows.

Eunji rolled her eyes.  “He took me on a tour of the spaceship and then showed me his room,” Kyuyun’s eyes lit up at that and Eunji continued, “Where he had an assortment of food that we shared.”  She shook her head.  “Did you know that eating is one of his favorite things to do?  And he can sure pack it away too.”

“You just ate?”  Kyuyun asked, seeming disappointed by Eunji’s words.

Eunji nodded, growing tired with Kyuyun’s one-track mind.  She glanced over at Minhee.  The girl had her legs tucked up against her body and her chin rested on her knees; it looked like she had been crying.  Eunji decided the girl needed a friend, or at least a shoulder to cry on. 

She got up to head toward the huddled girl, but Kyuyun grabbed her arm. 

“She won’t talk to anyone.  I tried already.”  She informed.  “Besides, they have cameras in here and when I tried to talk with her one time Yongguk stormed in here and took her away.”  Kyuyun sighed.  “She’s already been at his mercy once today, don’t make him take her away again.”

Eunji shrugged her off and kept walking.  “I don’t care, she needs a friend.  If he comes in here then I’ll give him a piece of my mind.”

Kyuyun’s eyes widened and she simply sat down on her bedroll and watched warily as Eunji moved closer to Minhee.

Eunji plopped herself down next to Minhee and simply sat beside the sullen girl.  After a while Minhee stole a glance at her and whispered a thank you.  Eunji smiled.  “You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to, but I thought you could use some company.”

Minhee nodded.

“Do you mind if I ask you a question or two?”  Eunji ventured.

Minhee seemed to think for a moment and finally shook her head.

“Does he hurt you?”  She asked Minhee.  The girl was quiet, she didn’t move and Eunji began to wonder if she’d pushed her luck too far.  

“He’s…he’s…” Minhee began, but the sound of the glass panel opening caused her words to die on her tongue.

Yongguk stood there staring down at them.  He glared at Eunji for a good while before shifting his gaze to Minhee.  Eunji watched him closely and was astonished by what she saw, it hadn’t lasted long and if she had blinked she would have missed it; his face had softened briefly, his eyes tenderly eyeing Minhee, but then, as quickly as his gentle demeanor had appeared it vanished.

“Go back to your side of the room.”  His deep voice commanded, his eyes remaining on Minhee.  Even though he had barely spoken above a whisper the bass of his voice carried and made it sound louder than it actually was. 

Eunji didn’t move, she kept her eyes on him until he finally looked at her again.  “What have you done to her?”  She demanded in a low tone.

His eyes flared momentarily but returned to their hooded, smoldering stare.  “I said, go back to your side of the room.”

Eunji put her arm around Minhee, startling the girl and causing Yongguk’s jaw to tighten.  “No, I rather like it over here, so, I think I’m going to stay.”  Eunji said with a smirk.  She saw Kyuyun out of the corner of her eye, she looked like she was going to faint.  “Minhee needs a friend so I’m going to be that for her.”

Yongguk stared at her in total surprise.  He had not expected Eunji to refuse his order.  He watched, as Minhee seemed to settle into Eunji’s embrace, accepting the gesture of friendship.  He looked at Eunji, eyes stern.  “If you upset her in any way,” he said in a cold, harsh tone, “I will destroy you.”

“Not if I have a say in the matter.”  A sultry voice floated from the panel opening.

Eunji flicked her eyes over and found Daehyun staring at the other man, his eyes just as intense as Yongguk.  Eunji swallowed hard.  These two meant business when it came to their abductees.  Could they possibly have actual feelings for… No, she couldn’t think like that, she wouldn’t. 

“Let them befriend her, it will make her happy.”  Daehyun raised an eyebrow.  “That’s what you want after all, right?”

Yongguk’s lips curled in a snarl.  “It is.”  His voice came out low and menacing.

“Then let it go and leave them be.”  Daehyun said gently.  “You can’t control everything.  Good things come to those who wait.  And those who wait patiently receive even greater things.”

Yongguk turned and glared at Daehyun.  “Shut up, Dae.”  He growled before stalking out of the room, muttering something about loathing nosy know-it-alls.

Daehyun simply smiled at Eunji as he continued to eye her after Yongguk left.  “I knew there was a reason I liked you.”  He said with a wink.  “I have something even more fun planned for us tomorrow, so, get some rest, you’re going to need it.”  He grinned mischievously before turning and leaving.

Eunji worried over Daehyun’s words, nervous about what he might have in store, and fearful it had nothing to do with food.

“Thank you.”  Minhee’s small voice whispered from beside her.

Eunji turned and smiled at the girl.  “No problem.  We have to stick together, right?”

Minhee actually smiled and nodded.

“Mind if I bring my bedroll over here and sleep with you?”  Eunji asked.

Minhee’s smile widened and she shook her head.

Eunji released the girl from her hug and went to get her bedding.  Kyuyun still sat shocked on her bedroll. 

“I…I thought he was going to murder you.”  Kyuyun breathed.

Eunji laughed.  “Nah, I could tell he was more bark than bite.”

Kyuyun shook her head.  “No, he’s not.”  She stated.  “You haven’t seen the things he’s done.  He’s…he’s a monster.” 

Eunji shrugged.  “Well, monster or not, he’s letting us befriend Minhee slide.  So, are you going to come join our girl power slumber party or not?”

Kyuyun bit her lip, unsure of what to do.  “Not tonight.  If I find you still alive when I wake up then I’ll consider joining you tomorrow night.”

Eunji shrugged again.  “Fine, have it your way.”  She said as she dragged her bedroll over, laying it out next to Minhee’s.  After she got settled she decided to ask Minhee another question.  “How long have you been here?”  She asked quietly.

Minhee was quiet for a moment.  “I was the first one here.  I’ve been here for about six months now maybe.  Kyuyun’s been here for about three or four, I think.” 

Eunji nodded slowly before asking her initial question again.  “Does he hurt you, Minhee?”  She received no answer though; she was only met with silence.  She decided then that Minhee would open up to her more when she felt the time was right.  “Goodnight, Minhee.”

Just when Eunji was about to drift off she heard Minhee whisper,  “I think it’s me who hurts him.”