Chapter 8

Lemons Grow In Mars

 

The Deal with the Heartbreaker

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is 9:55 am, Monday, recess, and I am toast.

Crunchy, brown, fluffy stuff. Comes best with chocolate spread. 

Sigh…

Seungri is too busy arguing with So Hee, Dae Sung is sulking in his desk because I told him earlier this morning that I don’t want to be more than friends with him, SeungHyun’s groupees are b****ing at me (because one of them saw me holding hands with SeungHyun the other night), my period is acting up, Young Bae is not talking to me (not that we really talk), and my phone has no more battery so I can’t listen to music.

You know, whenever I have problems, I rely on music to help me calm down. A lot of people do that. I listen to a lot of local and foreign ballads and acoustics. Like Air Supply, Kim Bum Soo, Ji Ho, The Carpenters, Insooni, Jason Mraz, etc. I’m not a good English speaker but I understand the language pretty well. I just wish I remembered to charge my phone so that I can listen to “Can You See” by Ji Ho right now. All I can do is sing it inside my head. Ew. Ew. Shut up. Even the voice of my inner self . Gah… I’m craving for that song like how I’m craving for lemon chicken right now.

Drool…

“Hyun Ok!”

Huh?! What?! Where’s the enemy?!

“What is your opinion on the human trafficking problem here in Asia?” Teacher Kim asked me, his fantastic mustache dancing a bit.

What? Recess is over? Class started already?

“Um…It’s really bad,” I answer him, keeping it as simple as possible. 

“Hyun Ok...?" Teacher Kim sighed. Bad how? Be more specific.”

Wow…Teacher Kim’s French mustache is so magnificently cut…I wonder what it feels like to be that mustache…

I heard a few people snicker.

Ehem. That mustache got a hold of me again.

I sat up on my seat and said, “Well people from developing nations like Philippines and Thailand are being smuggled to Japan or to America to be forced to work as slaves. Developing nations here in Asia have human traffickers that hire or force children as es, some even as young as 9. They smuggle the kids abroad, promising to keep them alive or tricking them into a better future if they work hard as es. middle-aged es can’t satisfy their ual needs for fear of prosecution so they call up the nearest human trafficker in town or they travel to trade hot spots so that they can sleep with 9 year old kids with no worry. So yeah…it’s really bad.”

I see a few people cringe in disgust.

It’s a cruel world... I will kick those men's asses one day. 

Teacher Kim looks kind of satisfied with my answer. Actually, I have no idea what he meant by ‘be specific’. I just blurted out what I know. See? Independent study can pay off.

“Exactly. Thank you, Hyun Ok. But please, stop drooling and staring into space,” says Teacher Kim.

People giggled.

Yeah, yeah, like it don’t happen to you guys. Teacher Kim hushed them.

“By the way, Hyun Ok, I got an email from the committee of that writing contest that you joined. I believe they said you submitted your piece a month ago? Well they told me that you made the top 5 out of 423 students from other schools. They are yet to determine which one is the winner.”

My classmates turned to me and some smiled at me.

Omo. My story “The Sane Fool” about this schizophrenic homeless guy with amnesia who thought that an angel followed him everywhere and then he became successful when he worked hard thanks to that angel and then the cure for schizophrenia was found and people told him to get himself treated but then his memory came back but the angel disappeared and ended up to be his dead wife and he decided to reverse the treatment because he wanted his angel wife to be with him till the day he dies? That story got into the top 5 out of 423 stories? Whoa. I only joined that contest so I could get money for my nose job, I never thought I’d actually get a chance at winning. How cool. 

“Everyone, let’s hope that Hyun Ok wins first place because the winner gets to have 800,000 won and three new computers for their school which is just what we need in our computer lab!”

The room is full of oohs and aahs. Seungri whistled. I can see So Hee looking frustrated and mumbling to herself. Haha! My story got to the top 5 but not hers! Bwahaha!

“However, let’s congratulate her for even making it to the top 5! We have a famous writer on the way!”

My classmates cheered. Seungri threw a lemon lollipop at me.

Ahh! This is awesome! I hope I win. My nose has expanded three times its size because of the joy I’m feeling. But that’ll pass when I get the money! It won’t expand anymore! Gyaah!

I turn my head to my right so I could take a look at Young Bae. Is he happy for me?

Pout. Not. He looks annoyed talking to SeungHyun (who sits in front of him). That’s weird because SeungHyun looks cheerful. What could they be talking about that would annoy Young Bae?

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

                                                                                                                                                      

 

 

 

 

It is 12:32 pm, lunchtime, and I'm by myself underneath the bleachers looking at the trees in front of me. I don’t feel like being with people right now. It's very possible that it's because of my period.

I don’t get it... why is Young Bae mad at me? What did I do? He was fine when he saw me with Dae Sung. Just because he caught me holding hands with SeungHyun--which by the way was not the case since SeungHyun held my hand to stop me from trying to dry his shirt. We weren’t even holding hands ROMANTICALLY. Grr! What’s Young Bae’s problem?! He makes me so irritated! Ugh! I should be happy right now because I’m about to win a contest, but I can’t concentrate on being happy because he’s being so cold to me! He smiles at everyone except me! And before I went to bed last Saturday night--what was that about? Like, he wouldn’t even let me play my guitar! That’s so weird because he’s never told me to stop playing it before. And it wasn’t like I was playing a loud song. I was playing that song so that I could help him go to sleep! And he dared stop me! Ugh! If I weren’t so tired that night, I would’ve literally kicked his ! And played and sang something loud like 'Back In Black' by AC/DC or something. I was so offended…how could he talk to me like that? That was like worse than him pretending not to know me.

Whatever. We’re not friends nor are we colleagues so why do I have to care? We’re just neighbors and classmates. Ugh. What a snot.

And I had to break it to Dae Sung that I wasn’t a bit interested at him. I can’t keep lying to myself. Dae Sung and I will probably be best friends in the future, but we just don’t have that spark. He’s sulking, feeling sorry for himself, and I so don’t like him being like that. He’s such a sweet guy. This is the first time I’ve broken a guy’s heart, and it doesn’t feel good. Well…if Young Bae was being real then this would be the second time. But now I don’t believe him. He doesn’t love or like me, that jerk.

Seungri understands when I have the bad case of a period. He knows that I become GODZILLA and that I prefer not having too much contact with other humans. Why did I have to be born a girl? I can’t even eat because my cramps are so bad. It got worse before lunchtime. Makes me hate Young Bae even more. How dare he get all pissy on me when he doesn’t even experience these kinds of things?! UGH! I wanna kick somebody’s !

“Hyun Ok…? What are you doing here by yourself?”

SeungHyun stooped underneath the bleachers.

Ugh. No. Stay away from me. Trust me. Go away before I kill you.

“Go away…I’m not feeling good…” I say to him, shooing him away with my hand. 

“Is it your period?” he asks.

Is it your business?

“Whoa,” he shields himself with his arms. That’s because I just gave him a bad look. “I understand, okay? My noona is really moody when she gets her period too. Sometimes I even let myself get beat up by her just so that she can feel better,” he chuckles.

…Nah.

I’m not about to beat up Choi Seung Hyun. 

“SeungHyun…what do you want? I’m sorry for being like this but I really don’t want to be around people right now…” saying that much is taking out a lot from me. Ow…

“Are you hungry? I have kimbap,” he shows me a container full of kimbap. Wow that looks good. And looks homemade! But... 

“No…can’t eat…”

I just sounded like I have lung cancer.

SeungHyun chuckled.

“Remember when you told me you owe me one?” he asks me, holding up a finger.

No- don’t. Don’t do this to me. Not right now. If he makes me do something stupid, I will so fry his eyeballs.

“Yes…and?” I ask him.

“Go on a date with me.”

 

 

Eh.

Me? Go out on a date with SeungHyun? The Choi SeungHyun? Is he blind? ...Can’t he see the nose?

“No.”

“That was fast…”

“Yes, I’m a . But I’m not ALL that good. Go find someone else,” I say to him, rolling my eyes as meanly as possible.

Wow. I really am cranky. If I were my normal self I would kick myself in the head for talking to the Choi SeungHyun like that. SeungHyun looked kind of hurt from what I just said. I know I shouldn’t, but it feels good seeing him like that. Yes, boy. in all the pain.

Still, he chuckled.

“You can believe the things other people say. But take it from me, I’m a myself.”

 

 

WHAT? OH MY GOD? Did he just say he’s a to me? Am I going to believe that? Wow... that is hmm WOW.

I couldn’t help but laugh a bit.

“Um…that’s nice. Thank you for that information,” I say to him. What a funny guy. 

“I’m serious…I asked Dae Sung and he told me that you don’t like him that way…Hyun Ok, let me take you out on a date. Just one date,” he gives 

…what is happening to me lately? Have boys realized that I am actually attractive? I try so hard to hide it from them. How in the world did three guys ask me out in the span of only two weeks? Two of them the hottest guys in school too. Am I that irresistable that boys can’t get enough of me? (god please don’t let me have a big head. I’m too ugly to be narcissistic.)

Damn…I don’t want to go out on a date with him. His groupees are torture I tell you. I hope he doesn’t use my debt to him as an advantage to force me to go on a date with him.

“Hyun Ok…I’ll tell the principal that you have a secret passageway…” he gives me an evil grin.

“How dare you!”

“Go on a date with me then.”

“No!”

“Just one date.”

“No!”

“I’ll give you yellow roses.”

“Yellow roses from you? *scoffs* No!”

“I’ll dress up like a 5-yeard old.”

Now that…might be...

“No!”

“You've heard of that really good dish at Matticchio's?"

"What?"

"Lemon Chicken Scaloppine."

“...F-fine.”

Bastard. He got me.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

                                                                                                                                                                  

 

 

 

 

i got some new subscribers. awesome! but hey it would even be cooler if you guys could tell me how you think the story is going. don't forget to drop some comments below! sorry for the late post. been addicted to LOLibrary for the past few days. and about the cats... i don't have any cats. i think that their expressions are hilarious! haha cats. 

- Bonafyde Chinksta