Chapter 12

Lemons Grow In Mars

 

The Flirts
 
 
 
 
 
It’s 6:45 am, Monday, and I’m on my way out of the door. Whoo! Another day of school! How exciting! NOT.
 
“Hyun Ok, cuddle bear, turn that frown upside down why don’t you?” says Appa.
 
“Can’t. My nose widens when I smile. And you know I hate Mondays,” I say to him.
 
“Ah, Hyun Ok! You have to smile so that Tae Yang will be more attracted to you!” yelled Umma.
 
Aisshh…why do I have to get this early in the morning?
 
I hugged them before I went out. Ahh…It is a Monday but it is still such a beautiful sunny day. I then stretch out my arms to cheer myself up.
 
Ahh…everything’s so colorful too. The green grass, the multi-colored flowers, our yellow gate, the orange/brown trees across the street. Never mind that one lady's hideous orange wig. Everything's so pretty!
 
*Whistle whistle whistle*
 
Skippity skip skip. I am a bunny who hates Mondays but loves sunny days!
 
I hip-hopped my way to the bus stop 2 blocks from my house. My bus arrived as soon as I got there. I scanned my bus pass and looked for a seat. No luck. All the seats are occupied but at least there’s a lot of space today. I grabbed on to a bar handle and put my earphones on.
 
"Naega baram pyeodo neoneun jeoldae pijima, baby
Naneun neoreul ijeodo neon nareul itjima, lady..."
 
Gasp.
 
“Hello, Hyun Okie. You look pretty cheerful for someone who hates Mondays,” says Young Bae.
 
What the-
 
“I thought you ride with Jiyong. How long have you been following me?” I ask him.
 
“Oh me? I’ve been following you before you even started skipping. What are you, a bunny? Hehe so cute. Sit, sit,” he pointed at the empty seat in front of me.
 
How did… there was a guy sitting here earlier!
 
Then suddenly the other guy from the seat next to the empty seat stood up and took off. I look at Young Bae. He smiled to me and shrugged.
 
How could he do this? I’ve mistaken him for a nice guy!
 
“Young Bae! Did you force them out of their seats?!”
 
“No. I asked if they could provide us their seats first. They’re my friends,” Young Bae pointed at the guys who were standing at my left side. They guys smiled at me. They look like they’re around their mid-20s. I smile back at them and gave Young Bae an apologetic look. I sat down at the seat near the window. Young Bae sat down next to me.
 
And just like that, we rode the bus to school together. A lot of people from our school saw us so I tried not to look like I knew him. Young Bae tried harder to make it look like we were best friends though, giving me a lemonade juice box and telling corny jokes and everything. I never thought this would happen again in a millions years, but Young Bae is walking with me to school. We’re at the school gate now and I’ve long forgotten about trying to act like I don’t know him because I keep laughing at his corny jokes. They’re actually really funny.
 
“Okay, okay," Young Bae manages to say between laughing. "So there was this guy who asked God how much a billion won is to him,” says Young Bae.
 
“So what did God say?” I ask.
 
“God told the guy that a billion won is just one won to him.”
 
“That’s not funny, Young Bae.”
 
“Not yet! Then the guy asked God how long a billion years is to him and God answered that a billion years to him is like one minute.”
 
“Okay…” I laugh.
 
“Then the guy said, ‘God, can you give me one billion won?’”
 
“And what did God say?”
 
 
“God told the guy that a billion won is just one won to him.”
 
“That’s not funny, Young Bae.”
 
“Not yet! Then the guy asked God how long a billion years is to him and God answered that a billion years to him is like one minute.”
 
“Okay…” I laugh.
 
“Then the guy said, ‘God, can you give me one billion won?’”
 
“And what did God say?”
 
“He said, ‘Sure…just give me a minute…’”
 
I stopped walking to think it through for a while.
 
“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That’s funny!” I smack Young Bae’s arm.
 
Then I heard someone say my name. I look around. People are murmuring and looking at us.
 
“Don’t mind them,” says Young Bae, grabbing my head and turning it to his face. “Because we’re just friends, right?”
 
“Yep,” I give him a smile.
 
Hmm…
 
This isn’t going to be easy as he thinks it is.
 
Because the second he told me we were just friends, I realized that I really am falling for him.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                               
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I Love You, Goodbye...
 
 
 
 
 
Later that day…
 
It is 2:11 pm, gym class, sitting on the bleachers, looking at the boys play basketball, and I JUST REMEMBERED THAT I HAVE A NOTE TO GIVE TO CHAE BOM FROM JAE HWA OPPA!
 
Stupid (hitting my head).
 
I was too busy thinking about something else (ehem) that I forgot all about the note. I didn’t read it yet because I respect Jae Hwa oppa’s privacy but I’m expecting Chae Bom to tell what oppa wrote. I hope oppa didn’t lie to me about that note being the final goodbye to Chae Bom or something. Chae Bom is not the kind of girl I had in mind for Jae Hwa oppa. Actually for years I’ve been trying to find a suitable woman for him. Someone who was raised well, finished college, have a stable job, pretty, sophisticated, have a decent looking nose, etc., etc., but as you can see, it’s not working out very smoothly because I don’t know anyone with that kind of profile. I told Jae Hwa oppa that he has to get approval from me if he’s thinking of getting married so I feel obligated of finding that perfect one for him. I don’t want just any ordinary to end up with my Jae Hwa oppa, I want someone who can fully understand him and can take care of him so that he can start over a new life. Operation: Mrs. Soon Jae Hwa is one of my goals in life.
 
Perfect timing. Seungri, Dae Sung, and Young Bae are not around me (all three of them are playing basketball. Well… I'm not so sure if what Seungri's doing is basketball) so I can go talk to Chae Bom without anyone hearing us. She’s sitting by herself five rows on the left from me, watching the boys so all I have to do now is get the note which is in my bag.
 
Damn. My bag is in the classroom (which is the main building in front of the school field). Teacher Park does not let us go to other places during gym class (that poop bastard).
 
That’s alright, Hyun Ok. You know you’re the best girl for this. Being close to Jae Hwa oppa comes handy in times like these.
 
Cue Mission Impossible music.
 
Den de nen den den de ne den den den den den den den…tininew…tininew…
 
Mwehehehe. I’m behind the trees now and nobody can see me.
 
Den de nen den den de ne den den den den den den den…tininew…tininew…
 
Gah! Jiyong almost saw me! Good thing I ducked behind the bushes just in time! He was picking up the ball like 10 feet away from me and he must’ve heard me singing my Sneaking Around song. Shh…gotta be quiet, Hyun Ok.
 
(softly) Den de nen den den de ne den den den den den den den…tininew…tininew…
 
Aw shucks. I’m on the side of the building that has no opening. There’s only windows and stuff. My classroom is on the second floor…how am I going to get up there?
 
Sigh… I guess I’ll just have to climb it.
 
Den de nen den den de ne den den den den den den den…tininew…tininew…
 
Phew! Made it! But my hands are dirty now. Pfuit, who KERS? I am now an experienced ninja. My classroom is the last one from the right in the hallway. Have to get there without anyone noticing.
 
I only have 0012 hours till we have to hit the locker rooms. It tooks me 0004 hours to get here so it’ll take around that time to get back so I’ll have 0008 hours or less to talk to Chae Bom. Leap, Hyun Ok. Leap!
 
Den de nen den den de ne den den den den den den den…tininew…tininew…
 
Twisting the doorknob, pushing open the door, I’m inside. Success! Whoo!
 
W-wait.
 
Gay Panda’s gorgeous imaginary abs.
 
“Oh, hi,” Chae Bom waved her hand at me, closing her bag that is lying on her desk. “I knew it was you who was making that funny nose. It sounded like you."
 
“Eh-heh,” I clicked my tongue and shot my imaginary gun at her. She did the same. “Um…why are you here?”
 
“I'm getting a tampon for Dara and it"s in my bag,” she answered.
 
“We-well…um…so you told Teacher Park about your tampon?”
 
“No, silly. I just told him that I had to pick up something here.”
 
“And he just let you off like that?”
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
“Oh…ehehehe…”
 
What?! You mean I could’ve just asked?! Remind me to slap myself when I get done here. My ninja skills were all for nothing!
 
Chae Bom was about to leave when I got in front of her.
 
“Bom, I have something to give to you,” I walk to my desk and fished for the envelope from my bag. I then handed it to her.
 
She looked shocked when she saw the name written on the back of the envelope.
 
“Oppa…how do you know him…” she asked me with those sparkly eyes of hers. Now that I think about it, she’s like the female version of SeungHyun, but her eyes are much more friendly and feminine.
 
“I’ve known him since I was a baby, he’s like a big brother to me,” I answer, trying not to look at the shining angel that is Chae Bom. No wonder guys are attracted to her. Her beauty shines like the bright midday sun, like it’ll burn your eyes if you stare at it too long. In fact I feel like I need sunglasses right now
 
“Oh? You’re Cuddle Bear?” she asks me, giggling a bit. I guess Jae Hwa oppa told her about me. That traitor. I bet he told her about the diapers. Gah! I hope she doesn’t know! “Something wrong with you eyes?”
 
“Nah, my eyes are fine. D-did oppa tell you about the diapers…?”
 
“Um…ye-yeah…” then she blew up just like that. I’m standing in front of her, looking at her laugh her off. Jae Hwa oppa is going to pay for this!
 
“Please don’t tell anybody! He only changed my diapers twice!” I cried out, pleading to her with my hands.
 
“It’s fine. I have no one to tell. Hehe. Your secret is safe with me, Cuddle Bear,” says Chae Bom, patting my head.
 
Phew. Yep. She’s a keeper. No wonder Jae Hwa oppa fell for her.
 
But I still don’t approve of them together though.
 
She finally opened the envelope and took out the note and read it.
 
“What does it say…?” I ask her.
 
Her eyes were scanning the note when suddenly a small diamond fell from her right eye. Whoa! A diamond! Wait. That’s a tear, idiot. Tsk, tsk. These beautiful girls, they still look precious even when they cry. It’s all about the lucky genes, Hyun Ok. Those damn lucky genes…
 
Chae Bom wiped her tears away and smiled down to me. “He’s…he’s…it’s nothing. He’s just thanking me for… for coming into his life. You know, cheesy, ehehe, cheesy lines like that.”
 
Oh gosh, now it’s her turn. She looks so heartbroken just like Jae Hwa oppa when we were talking at the coffee shop. Damn. I don’t want them to be together but I just can’t help but feel sorry for them. Sigh… all I can do is hope that they meet again in their next life where everything is at the perfect place at the right time.
 
“Bom, don’t get me wrong. I think you’re really awesome and I’m not surprised that Jae Hwa oppa fell for you. But a relationship with oppa isn’t as easy as pie as you may know,” I sighed. “I’ve known him for so long and I’m one of the closest friends he has and even I find it hard to spend time with him. I’m sorry for being an but… please promise me that you won’t go back to him. If something happens to you because of him, it’ll break his heart."
 
This time she didn’t just drop diamonds, she hosed out jugs of sparkling water. I hug her as she sobs.
 
“Why? *sniffs* why do we have to be born so different? He broke up with me, Hyun Ok! I was willing to give up everything for him!”
 
“Shh… shh… he cares about you a lot. He doesn’t want you to live like him. Oppa has been through hell Bom and that’s the last place he wants you to end up at.”
 
“I… I don’t care. I really don’t. Just as long as he is with me. I need him,” she choked out as she sobs.
 
Sigh. This is so hard! What am I suppose to say to that? I’ve never been in a relationship and I’ve never loved someone like that before so how would I know what she’s feeling? Goodness… I had just borrowed a book from the library this morning called ‘Release Your Genius: Awkward Moments Edition’ because I knew I ws going to encounter one of these awkward moments again. Damn! I was too busy browsing that what-to-do-when-he’s-too-into-you chapter of the book, I should’ve looked at the what-to-do-when-there’s-drama chapter! Think Hyun Ok, think!
 
Ugh. I have no choice. When in doubt, sing the Celine Dion song out.
 
" ...I hope someday you can 
Find some way to understand I'm only doing this for you
I don't really wanna go
But deep in my heart I know this is the kindest thing to do
You'll find someone who'll be the one that I could never be
Who'll give you something better
Than the love you find in me
Oh I could say that I'll be all you need
But that would be a crime
I know I'd only hurt you
I know I'd only make you cry
I'm not the one you're needing
I love you, goodbye... "
 
Chae Bom has stopped crying while I was singing but she only looked at me after I was done. She chuckled. 
 
“I guess that’s how he feels… you have a really nice voice,” says Chae Bom, wiping her tears with a handkerchief.
 
Gasp!
 
“Ah… I don’t know about that-”
 
OMO! I just totally sounded good just now! How did that happen?!
 
Chae Bom sighed. “I’ll do my best," she walked away without a word.
 
I think what she meant was that she’ll do her best to forget about Jae Hwa oppa. Which is good even though it might be painfully long. I don’t even think it’s possible that Jae Hwa oppa can get married to anybody. With the world he lives in, it’s impossible to not think about danger creeping in on your loved ones. Sigh… Operation Jae Hwa oppa’s wife is aborted.
 
Hmm… I’m supposed to punish myself for something I can’t remember. Oh yeah! For wasting time earlier!
 
Whack!
 
Dude, I just totally slapped my face. Hard. It hurts.
 
Whack!
 
That one’s for not knowing that I can sing!
 
Whack!
 
Okay. I think I’m getting a bit masochistic now. I should stop.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Hyun Ok’s schedule.
MON-FRI
School by 8 am (class starts at 8:30)
3 classes in the morning (50 min each)
Lunch 11:30am-12:20 pm
4 classes in the evening
School ends at  4:30 pm
Eat dinner/extra curricular activities (4:30-7pm)
Self-study sessions (7pm-10pm)
At home by 11pm
 
 
 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 
 
 
from BC: Yay! I've posted TWO chapters so far this week! Still a long way to go but I'm getting there! Thank you so much to everyone who commented my last chapter simplYBe, evilazuli, and wekickass, thank you! That means a lot to me, keep it up. ;) thanks to those who subscribed as well while I was away. that was a bit surprising.
By the way I've been a part of asianfanics since it's first started, I think, but I don't know my way around here too much. I'm very biased so I only read fics with BIGBANG on them (& even w/ that I'm very picky) and I just want to say that if it looks like some of parts of this story may seem familiar from say, another writer's story, it isnt. I'm lazy, 3/4 of this story was written 3 years ago. So if any of you are wondering about that, well there's your answer. I researched south korean high school life and most of the situations here are personal experiences. So there you go... original! hehe thanks again. Stop by soon!