Chapter 10

Lemons Grow In Mars

 

The Date

 

It is 1:35 pm, Saturday, and I’m in the living room, watching Music Bank on TV with my parents. Gosh…my Appa is 58 and my Umma is 60 but they act like 13 year old girls. Look at them dancing and singing to Psy's "Gangnam Style". No wonder I’m like this.

The horse part is about to happen. Goodness…

Wow. They have to face their butts in front of me too. How convenient. It must be nice being in your 60s. You never know how idiotic you may look.

My Appa is giving me a daunting look. “Look! Cuddle Bear! Bet you’re jealous! You can’t do this like I can!”

“What? You challenging me?!” I yell back at him. I climbed on top of our coffee table and there, in front of the two amateurs, I showed them how it’s done.

I was doing the ‘Gangnam Style’ dance with my parents when my phone rang. It was an unidentified number.

“Yoboseyo? Who’s this?”

“Hyun Ok! It’s me-SeungHyun! I’m on my way to your house!”

!!!

“How did you get my number? And how do you know where I live?”

My parents stopped dancing and looked at me.

“I know things about you more than you know. You are ready, aren't you?”

Okay…that first part was creepy. But damn. I was hoping that if I keep away from SeungHyun, then he would forget about me. I really don’t want to go on this date with him. (Flashing neon BEWARE OF SH’s GROUPEES sign.)

Plus, somehow I can’t stop thinking about this guy. Pfuit, who am I kidding? I can’t stop thinking about Young Bae’s soft lips that’s what.

“Um…actually no. I changed my mind. I don’t want to be your date,” I say to him.

My parents gasped.

“Hyun Ok! You promised me!”

“Who keeps promises anyway?” I ask him.

“As I said Hyun Ok…I know things about you more than you know…”

“What? What’s that supposed to mean? Are you…hello? Hello?!"

That bastard. He hung up on me.

Oh well. Back to dancing time. (y time, YEAH!)

Uh-oh. Why are my parents staring at me in a very scary way?

“Hyun Ok…was that your boyfriend?” my Appa asks me.

“Hyun Ok…you didn’t tell us you have a boyfriend….” says Umma.

 

I am speechless.

 

“HOORAY!” my parents cheered. Damn. 

“Wait, wait. That guy is not my boyfriend. He asked me to go on a date with him and I said yes since he told me he’ll take me to Matticchio's Italian Restaurant but I changed my mind because I don’t want to go out on a date with him,” I explained.

Appa walked towards me and laid a hand on my shoulder. “Cuddle Bear, we raised you better than that. You are going on a date with this guy because you PROMISED him, alright? But first, can we meet him?”

No…

“Please?” my Umma’s doing that sparkly eyes thingy. Goodness, woman! You’re 60!

My parents are so old that they always think that I’m going to marry old and that they won’t be able to see their grandchildren from me. They were extra sad because they never heard rumors of me being romantically linked to anybody at school (they’re good friends with my vice principal, Seungri’s uncle and the principal, Appa's close friend from college. He tells them stuff about me. They almost murdered my a$$ when they heard about the ‘Teacher Park’s Twisted ’ incident. But I told them why I had to do that so they were okay about it.) There was one time when they got too far and got me engaged to one of their rich friends’ "handsome and "talented" son who was five years older than me. They’re always trying to tell me to get married right after I finish high school. They make me scared of getting pregnant. Aigoo…

Vroom vroom. I hear a motorcycle rumbling outside our house.

It can’t be…

Knock knock.

Umma answered the door.

“Annyonghaseyo…I’m Choi SeungHyun, Hyun Ok’s date,” SeungHyun bowed and smiled brightly at Umma. I can tell Umma’s about to faint. She’s looking up at SeungHyun like he’s Won Bin or something.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Boy…are you handsome…I’m Hyun Ok’s mother,” Umma introduced herself (as well as fanning herself. Ugh) Appa ran to the door and beamed at SeungHyun. SeungHyun bowed down to him.

“Hello, SeungHyun. I’m Hyun Ok’s father. Come in, come in,” Appa grabbed SeungHyun’s hand and sat him down on our sofa.

Waah T_T …my parents are embarrassing.

“Hyun Ok, you’re not ready yet?” SeungHyun asked me, trying to look innocent. It’s weird coming from his usually serious eyes. Young Bae can pull off that puppy eyed look but not him. He just looks like a tortured fish.

Sigh…I have no choice. But I swear I won’t forget him blackmailing me like this…he’ll pay one day.

“I’ll go dress up. Wait for me, okay?” I say to him, walking up the stairs to my room.

There’s no going back. It’s my parents he went after, damn it. I’m defeated.

 

15 minutes later…

 

I go down the stairs ready for our date. Today I decided to wear the summer dress Umma bought me last summer. This is the first time I’m wearing this and I figured to hell with it, the occasion fits anyway. I look so girly wearing this thing. It’s a knee-length empire waist short-sleeved beige dress with lemon prints and a square neckline. I’m wearing ivory flats with it. I wonder if I'll be comfortable with wearing a dress. Gah…maybe I should change.

“CUDDLE BEAR! You look divine!” Umma yelled.

Too late.

“Our daughter is beautiful, isn’t she?” Appa asks SeungHyun.

“She really is…” SeungHyun looks at me, his jaw about to hit the floor. 

“Oh you guys, it’s just a dress,” I say to them as I twirl. “I’ve always been beautiful.”

Umma, Appa, and SeungHyun laughed.

“So you mean you won’t get a nose job anymore?” Appa asked me.

“That’s another story,” I answer. They continued laughing.

Seriously. It is another story.

My parents talked to me and SeungHyun before we left. They told us no , no drugs, no alcohol, bring me back by 8 with all my fingers in place. Why didn’t they just tell me to die too to get it over with? Geez, saying all that stuff in front of SeungHyun.

Right now I’m hugging Choi SeungHyun, the two of us riding in his bike in a freeway. Not sure why but I’m wishing he were Young Bae instead and that we were riding in Young Bae’s bike.

We are going too fast. What is he doing? Douche bag. My parents told him to bring me home with all my fingers in place. Why is he trying to kill the both of us by speeding his bike?

“SeungHyun oppa! Slow down please! I’m scared!” I yell at him. If I die, I’ll haunt him forever.

I look at him. I don’t think he heard me. Oh…I feel stupid. He can’t hear me over my helmet.

Sigh…

BWAAAAHHHH! We drove over a pebble. So scary!

Instinctively, I laid my head on SeungHyun’s back and hugged him tighter.

He finally slowed down.

What? What the-

He planned this all along. 

I blush... I guess he really does like me. 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                         

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

It is 2:43 pm and I’m inside Matticchio's Italian Restaurant. I really don’t have any idea what SeungHyun’s definition of a date is. I mean, this restaurant doesn’t have four stars, it’s actually really good because it sells great food at an affordable price but…why does he have to bring his crew along? Now I feel more conscious about my chest.

“What drinks would you like?” the waitress asked us. Everybody’s silent.

“Mmm…just water and lemonade please,” says Young Bae, picking out the lemonade for me. Why is he only getting drinks for two people though?

“So Hyun Ok, where do you want to go after this?” SeungHyun asks me, touching the yellow roses bouquet that is sitting on his lap. I didn’t accept the roses because of its significance to him. That’d be like him breaking up with me before we even went out.

This so bad. What kind of a date is this?

“I was thinking of a place where only the two of us can go to?” I tell him, trying to send him a message with my eyes. If he were Seungri this would’ve been a piece of cake. But I don’t think he gets my eye messages.

“Omo…Hyun Ok!” Jiyong shouted at me. “Why are you being like this to our Hyung? He’s still too young!”

Eeek!>.< This dirty-

“Gah! I was trying to say that since he asked me out on a date, I was expecting it would be just us two!”

“What? You don’t like us?” Young Bae asks me.

“No…I…what…? UGH,” I lay my head down on the table, feeling very drained. Why do people seem to go crazy stupid whenever they hang out with me?

And I can’t believe how calm Young Bae is about this. That bastard. Didn’t he just kiss me two days ago? Now he’s all cool? Something’s going on…

“Guys, guys. Back off of her. C’mon…” says SeungHyun.

“SeungHyun oppa can I go home?” I’ve had it with this craziness. I can have more fun with my parents back home.

The three jumped when I said that.

Young Bae looked at me with those puppy eyes of his and said “What? You didn’t even get to eat yet. Don’t go.”

Okay…so it’s official. I’m on a date with three guys. Not as fun as you think it is.

“Yeah, we’ll go to the arcade then we’ll go to a karaoke studio. It’ll be fun!” Jiyong cried out.

Eh. This is the SeungHyun they talk about? Are they sure he’s THE heartbreaker? Seems to me like I’ll break his skull before he gets the chance to break my heart. What a lame date.

“What is going on? Seriously! Why are YOU TWO here?” I ask Jiyong and Young Bae.

“You really want to know?” SeungHyun asked me. “Don’t get mad. Remember that you DO owe me one…”

Something IS going on!

Before I knew what was happening, SeungHyun and Jiyong stood up and started to walk towards the door leaving me and Young Bae by ourselves. Jiyong tried to hide behind a big fan decoration but I saw him. SeungHyun grabbed the back of Jiyong’s shirt and dragged him away and they continued walking outside like that.

I knew something was going on…but I never expected this.

I look at Young Bae in front of me. He’s just staring at me. Not saying anything.

Okay…awkward. I know I’m irresistible and all but…please…pfuit…

I never know what to say or do in awkward situations like these. Maybe I should study. I know that’s kind of stupid but at least then I’ll be informed as to what the heck I should do and how to do it. Like if a guy keeps staring at you and you don’t know what to do; do you A: Play footsies with him under the table or B: Whack him in the head and run away?

I kinda want to choose B since SeungHyun never told me anything about this.

“Young Bae…what’s going on?” I ask him.

He stood up just a little so that he could reach my head. When he did, he knocked on it twice with his knuckle. “You’re on a date with me, Hyun Ok.”

“You? What happened to SeungHyun oppa?”

“He’s gone.”

 

 

Sigh…this Martian Boy never ceases to amaze me with his unimaginable wit.

“Tae Yang…? Damn it.”

“Why do you call me by my real name when you’re mad at me?” he asks me.

“What? You’d rather I call you Martian Boy?” I ask him.

“Sure. I actually find it cute,” he chuckles, then I felt his foot touch my foot under the table. “Twaeji.”

T-twaeji?

Footsies?

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?” I yelled as I stood up. Then I noticed that there were some other people in the restaurant so I sat back down. Embarrassing…I look at Young Bae sitting down. He’s having fun-this bastard! Look at him sniggering like a loon. Twaeji? So he’s saying I’m fat? That’s probably his caller ID for me on his phone. I mumbled to myself, “I’m not even fat…”

 

Okay, maybe I am, just a little bit.

 

I’m not overweight but I definitely am chubby. I try so hard to lose the baby fat every summer (doing things like mountain biking, hiking, swimming, running with dogs, etc.) but IT DOESN'T GO AWAY. I jog like... once a week. But it's not fair because my friends don't even do anything (aside from gym class) and they're skinny like they are! 

Here I am again, rambling on about flaws. When is the food gonna get here?

Sigh…someone kill me please. I like Young Bae when he is...shirtless. But I just hate him right now. I thought he had given up on me already when he saw me with Dae Sung. He probably found out that I don’t like Dae Sung. Oh yeah…he did kiss me the other day…

*Whistle whistle*

…why does he like staring at me so much? His face is just so blank but his eyes are kind of examining me. Doing nothing saying nothing just staring at the fat girl. Why did he do all of this anyway just to date a fat girl? Huh? And I though SeungHyun liked me. Guess not.

My nose is glowing…the food finally came! Yay! Smells so good!

Before I got to dig in, Young Bae’s phone rings. He gave me an apologetic look before answering it.

“Yoboseyo…Bom…?” he says, facing away from me. “OH?….What hospital? I’ll be there,” then he hangs up.

Hmm? He’s going?

“Was that Chae Bom? Is she in any kind of trouble?” I ask him. He takes out his wallet from his pocket and takes out some bills and places in on the table.

“Nah, that was someone else. But…she’s okay,” he says, already standing up. “Hyun Ok, I’m so sorry, there’s somewhere I have to go to. This is for the food and the tip, use this okay?” he points at the money then leaves.

Well…that’s nice. Nice, very nice um date. Trick me into going to this date then you go and just leave before it even started.

I hope Chae Bom is okay though. I know that Chae Bom is Young Bae’s first love like four years ago, I never knew they were this close outside of school.

I wonder what happened. I heard Young Bae say ‘hospital’. Man…I hope she’s okay. I can’t stop thinking about it. I finished all the food when I decided to call Young Bae.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Young Bae, it’s Hyun Ok. Is Chae Bom okay? What happened to her? Sorry, I just can’t help but get worried…” It was really loud where he was at. I think he’s in the hospital already.

“Sorry, I can’t tell you about it,” he answers, sounding a bit cranky. “She’s alright though. Nothing…nothing really happened to her. She’s fine.”

“Oh…really…um…tell her that I wish her good health okay? And that *burp*”

 

Omo. Did I just burped?

 

“Sure,” he chuckled.

Aisshh…why couldn’t I wait till I was done talking to him?

“Hyun Ok,” he seemed cheerful now. “Eat all the food okay? Don’t leave one string of noodle on the plate.”

“Aisshh…I thought you said I was fat.”

“So? I didn’t say I didn’t like you fat.”

“I’m not even fat you psycho!”

“Yeah…” he laughed. “Keep telling that to yourself.”

“You mother-”

“Gotta go. Be safe okay? I’ll see you when I get home. Don’t mingle with strange guys, don’t go near them-”

 

I hung up.

 

I’m not even fat! That Martian bastard! And what am I? Seven? ‘Don’t mingle with strange guys’ my !

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                               

 

 

 

==================================================================================

I can't wait to show you guys my new chapters. Half of the story I wrote two years ago and I'm still finishing up now (procrastinating, ya know how it is. and this chapter was written two years ago too. the gangnam style was originally abacadabra by the beg. haha i'm a master procastrinator. )

And today I wrote a song that Young Bae will sing and I'm just so excited about it. I was thinking of just choosing one of his songs, but then I want it to feel like he wrote it specifically as 'LGIM YoungBae' so I had to write the song myself. And it doesn't look bad at all. I might really make a song out of it. I might send it to YB himself so he can sing it for his next album (I really want to listen to him do r&b ballads again) but in my dreams HAHA and the song is pretty detailed so I don't think that'll work. 

Anyway keep them comments flowing. Please comment. If you don't, you'll have to pay for every chapter. It'll be 2 cents each.

Eh? Eh? Get it.

Okay. Bye.