Chapter 7

Lemons Grow In Mars

 

Martian Boy's Happiness

 

It is 3 pm, Saturday. Dae Sung asked me out on a date and I thought that it would be a good idea so we are now here at the park. Earlier we went to watch a movie. A horror movie. I suspected Dae Sung expected me to get scared and start hugging him and be all ‘Oh, Oppa! Hold me!’ on him. He obviously doesn’t know me at all. It was embarrassing when the goriest scene of the movie came. The tough sniper guy thought the room was empty, then suddenly a zombie came down from the ceiling. Before the tough guy could raise his .22 rifle, the zombie grabbed the dude’s hands and stuffed the hands into his mouth. What made Dae Sung scream the most is when the guy watched as the zombie continued to eat him alive. I was covering Dae Sung’s eyes with my hands while shouting “No! Don’t eat the neck yet! Eat the legs first AND THEN make your way to the neck!”

Dae Sung was shaking when we got out of the theater. He is such a funny guy. He made me laugh when he made fun of himself getting scared. What a dork. 

“Lemon, wait here okay? I have to do something, it will only take a minute,” says Dae Sung, moon walking way from me. He's nicknamed me Lemon because of my obsession with lemons. So cute. I’m still coming up with a nickname for him.

“Okay,” I laughed watching him moonwalk his way towards a small crowded area near the pond.

I wonder what he’s going to do?

My phone rings, GAY PANDA is calling.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Hyun Ok! Emergency! I need you here ASAP!”

“Where are you?”

He told me he was at Nickhun’s plant shop. The boy got lucky, Nickhun invited him to play baseball with his friends. He wants me to take care of So Hee who plans to go clubbing with Nickhun after her shift. Seungri wants to keep Nickhun away from So Hee of course. I can’t even believe that he’s friends with Nickhun already. Way to go Seungri! I thought So Hee was going to win Nickhun 100% but I’m not so sure now. We never know…Nickhun may dig guys too.

I agreed to go to him as soon as Dae Sung comes back.

“LEMON~”

Dae Sung is walking towards me while hiding something behind his back.

Aw! He got me yellow roses! I didn’t know that there was a flower stand here!

“Dae Sung, thank you!” I thank him, smelling the beautiful yellow roses. He did his research.

“Anything for you. Um…Lemon…can you do me a favor?”

“Yeah. Of course! What?” I owe that to him.

“Can we…hold hands…?”

...

Awkward.

“Sure,” I let him hold my left hand. I swear if it was dark here, his smile would brighten up the place.

But…somehow…it doesn’t feel right to me. Nonetheless, I hold on to his hand.

I told him about Seungri. He didn’t like it that Seungri wanted to break up our date but he said okay and we started walking to Nickhun’s plant shop which is just a few blocks away.

It feels really weird. Walking hand in hand with Dae Sung. I wonder what Seungri would say when he sees us holding hands. He’s all for me going out with Dae Sung, but I’m not so sure about it. Maybe I just have to spend more time with Dae Sung, I want to get to know a person before I go out with them of course.

We’re walking through the plaza now, the shop only 3 blocks away, and Dae Sung is doing a really good imitation of Na Moon Hee, a famous actress. I keep snorting whenever Dae Sung scolds at me in Na Moon Hee's voice. He’s really good.

!!!

Dae Sung just bumped into Jiyong!

And Jiyong is with SeungHyun and…Young Bae.

I quickly take my hand away from Dae Sung’s and hide the yellow roses behind me.

“SeungHyun oppa, good afternoon,” I greeted SeungHyun. I nodded and smiled at Jiyong. I couldn’t dare look at Young Bae.

“Good afternoon to you too. Oh…are you two going out already?” SeungHyun asks me.

I waved my hands to say no, but it only made me show them the yellow roses.

Damn.

“No. We’re not…” I smiled nervously.

“We’re on our first date,” says Dae Sung, looking very proud of himself.

I nod my head to agree.

I wish that lamp post above us would fall on me. I want it to crash on my head. Hard.

Young Bae and I have ignored each other since that day. Not that it was hard to do...He was back to his old self again a few hours later, but I didn’t see him come out of the balcony anymore. I haven’t gone to the roof yet because I’m afraid that I might see him. I’ve already got myself an electric fan (huhuhu…my nose…) so I keep my window closed all the time so I wouldn’t have to deal with the awkward looks just in case he’s there. That is costing me a lot though because I couldn’t spy on him half anymore. How sad.

“You two are so cute! You should definitely go out with him, Hyun Ok!” Jiyong shouted, pinching Dae Sung’s left cheek and my right cheek and moving them in a circular motion.

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

“Jiyong!” SeungHyun took Jiyong’s hands away from our cheeks and hit Jiyong’s head.

“Sorry…couldn’t help it…” he rubbed his head and gave us a smile.

I swear. This dude is bipolar. They say that when Jiyong is in his zone (he’s a part time DJ at a club), he’s really serious but when he’s at school, he’s so bubbly. I wish it was the other way around. I tried to get a quick glimpse of Young Bae and saw that he was staring off into the distance, looking very serene. He then took out his phone and started to text someone.

Gotta get out of here. Quick.

“Oh. Oppa…Dae Sung and I have somewhere important to go to. It was nice seeing you,” I say to SeungHyun.

“What about me?” Jiyong asks me.

“Oh. Jiyong oppa, sorry. Nice seeing you today too,” I say, trying not to hurt Jiyong’s feelings.

Although I am breaking Young Bae’s heart…

“C’mon, Lemon. Let’s not keep Seungri waiting,” says Dae Sung.

“Lemon?” Jiyong asks Dae Sung.

“I call her Lemon because she always smells like one,” says Dae Sung, showing off to the guys considering he’d only known me for a week. Well duh. Most of my beauty care products are lemon scented and I always make sure there are at least a dozen of lemons at home for cooking and for lemonade.

“I always thought she smelled like lemons,” says SeungHyun.

“Aw, so cute!” Jiyong squeals like a teenage girl. “Hyung! Come up with a nickname for me too! Please?!” He tugs on SeungHyun’s shirt. SeungHyun brushes his hands away and gives me and Dae Sung and I-know-he’s-embarrassing look.

I sympathize for him.

“Annyeonghi Gyeseyo,” Dae Sung and I say our goodbye to the guys. 

Phew.

Walk faster. Faster!

“Lemon…wait up…slow down…” says Dae Sung.

I don’t want to slow down! Gotta get out of Young Bae’s sight!

My phone beeps. A text message. I open it knowing exactly who it was from.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: MARTIAN BOY

Seeing how happy you seem to be with him makes me happy. He better not make you cry or I’ll crush his bones.

PS Kidding! ;p (…not really. I’m serious)

Ur 1 & only Martian Boy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Ack...! He's killing me..

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Lemon Girl Is A No-Good Player?

 

 

 

Later that night…

 

It’s 11:21 pm and I don’t know how but I’m inside a club called Retro Disk. And I’m dancing with So Hee. SeungHyun rapped with his posse earlier (first time I saw him rap. It was great!) and Jiyong is the DJ for tonight.

How lucky am I?

NOT.

Of course Young Bae would be here too. I saw him drinking (!!!) earlier at the bar. Oh, he really changed. It’s enough that we’re in a 21 and over club (how did Seunghyun and Jiyong found work here?), he has to get himself drunk too. I hope that red stuff he drank was just strawberry juice and nothing else. I’ve been trying to avoid him since I saw him. I hope he doesn’t see me.

“Uh huh, oh yeah, shake what my mama gave me,” So Hee does this thing where she talks to herself while dancing. It’s really weird. She should stop it. I bet some people are thinking that she’s younger than her age. We might get kicked out.

“So Hee! Stop it!” I yell at her.

“Can’t! The beat is making my booty fly to the moon~”

Great. She’s singing now. I’ll stop. I’ll probably make it worse.

I’m here right now because Seungri asked (ehem. FORCED) me to distract So Hee while he hangs out with Nickhun and his crew. Nickhun made plans to play baseball at the baseball field with his friends and So Hee asked him if he could go clubbing with her afterwards. Nickhun was about to say yes but then (probably out of the blue, spying behind some ficus tree or something) Seungri asked Nickhun if he could go play baseball with him and his friends. Seungri used to play baseball. He was the pitcher for his team back then but he quit (probably because the other guys didn’t like being with him inside the boys’ locker room. Get it? Hehe…). Anyways I kept So Hee company while she was still working at the shop (Nickhun and Seungri left early for the baseball field and Dae Sung left because his father needed him) It was one full hour of Nickhun this, Nickhun that. Why don’t she just choke herself and go to Nickhun heaven? (Kidding, kidding…;p) I now know Nickhun’s favorite food, sports team, ethnicity, and what kind of underwear he wears when he goes to sleep (???). Seriously, it annoyed me so much but I still kept my cool. It worked because she finally gave up on Nickhun going clubbing with her so she asked me to go with her instead. She brought me to her house (her parents are out of town) and put make up on me and here we are. I told my parents that I’m at Seungri’s. I’m going to have to meet up with Seungri later so he can get me home (or else I’d get busted).

This is my first time inside a club. I feel so out of place because I’m the only one in the club with braces. And my outfit is too ordinary (green Pistols shirt w/ yellow suspender, black skinny jeans, and yellow-green chuck taylors). So Hee looks really pretty wearing a short pink dress.

So far, not one guy has approached me or So Hee yet, I blame it on So Hee. But I’m not really complaining. I don’t want to socialize with a guy from this kind of place. Creepy. I’m content on just dancing to the music.

Suddenly the music stopped and the club became brighter.

Aw.

"Alright, alright! Ladies and gents, thank you for getting it down, but I need y’all to clear the dance floor!” Jiyong shouted into the mic in English. “It’s time for our Saturday Night Dance Off! Those who are confident in strutting their stuff, please proceed to the dance floor!”

The people cheered.

Saturday Night Dance Off? Oh…interesting.

The dance floor changed colors. It was like a black and white chessboard but now it’s a rainbow of different colors in every square. How cool.

People started to make way for the challengers of the dance off. There were challengers from the three sides of the square shaped dance floor (the other side was the front stage where Jiyong is at). There were a lot of challengers, they talk to each other, I think they’re crews. I look at the crew at the left (of Jiyong’s side) of the dance floor.

Teacher Kim’s fantastic French mustache.

The one in front is Young Bae! He is with 4 other guys and a girl, he looks like he's the youngest.

Eeeek! Gotta hide! Or…maybe not. I won’t be able to see him dance if I hide. I didn’t know that he could dance. I learn something new everyday.

Jiyong started the music slow and the dancers started to move like robots from their sides of the dance floor.

Whoa.

The beat of the music is getting faster now and the crews danced on the dance floor one at a time.

The first crew was so good, 3 of the 7 members were females and they sure do know how to get down!

Then the second crew came up, kind of blowing off the first crew with their stunts and cool body tricks. This is awesome. I’m glad So Hee brought me here.

Then Young Bae’s crew started to dance slowly towards the middle of the dance floor, each member giving off their own unique vibe while harmonizing their moves together. I don’t see Young Bae though. I think he’s in the crowd. Why’d they left him--

OH!

Young Bae just did the highest jump of the night, showing off to the men of the 2nd crew! He was absent at first and then he just blew off from the side of the dance floor. So cool!

Wow. The only girl in their crew is y too. She’s wearing jeans and a tight silver top that reveals most of her back. She just did a cartwheel followed with a split. So feisty! I can see a lot of guys drooling, their eyes focused mostly on the girl. Dudes.

Good heavens Young Bae can move. If we weren’t awkward I’d forced him to teach me how to dance. Where did he learn his moves anyway? I never see him dance inside his room.

Oh…wow.

Young Bae and that y girl are hitting it off, dance style. He even smacked her once. Who knows? Maybe he’ll do it again. I don’t care. He’s free to do anything he--

NOW THAT…he just kissed her cheek! He almost brushed his lips against hers too! What are they doing? Was that like necessary so the chemistry between them could flavor up their dance?

Now everybody must be thinking that Young Bae is sleeping with that girl.

I’m aware that Young Bae has had a lot of girlfriends before, but I’m 100% positive he’s not that kind of guy. I know. I live right next door to him. I’ve been to Hyun Bae oppa’s room (YB’s older bro), I saw a lot of dirty magazines peeking out of random places. I’ve been to Young Bae’s room (I’ve never really been there since we stopped hanging out but I was inside there once because I asked to borrow a school book from him. I couldn’t help but nose around a bit) and all I saw were music sheets and a few motorcycle magazines. I even looked under his bed while he was looking away, but I saw none at all. There was even one time when I asked him about it. I was like “Why aren’t you like guys your age?” and he said “Do you want me to talk about ?” and I was like “What? No. Just curious. You don’t own any or dirty magazines. Are you sure you’ve reached puberty?” and he just laughed and said “Hyun Ok, you’re crazy. I’m just not into that okay? But I’m still perfectly normal.” and I was like “Or maybe you just use Hyun Bae oppa’s stuff instead…” and he looked disgusted and said “Gross. I don’t dare touch those things.”

So you see, he’s abnormal for his age. It’s that Martian blood, I tell you.

Getting back, I just noticed that So Hee is screaming up a storm. She started chanting Young Bae’s name and then some people started to join her too. Even guys.

My ert self is coming up again. I can’t help but find Young Bae so y dancing with his crew. You wouldn’t be able to think of anything else about him like how he’s a Tae Kwon Do champion Martian Boy with great vocal tubes, tonight it's dancer Young Bae. Man, I hope he lifts up his shirt a bit. I miss his abs.

GAH! He just did!

One guy from the 2nd crew started showing off his abs, making the crowd go wild. Young Bae then moonwalked in front of that guy with two other members from his crew and then the two guys lifted up Young Bae’s shirt and then he did this chest popping thing, making the crowd go even wilder.

How does he do these things?

The music stopped. The 3rd crew (YB’s crew) did their ending pose, all six of them scattered throughout the dance floor. They didn’t even let the other two crews set foot on the dance floor for the ending of the song. I swear on my enormous nose, that was dope.

The people cheered.

“That was sick! Give it up for all the crews that performed!” Jiyong shouted into his mic.

The people cheered even louder.

“Alright! Time to decide which one is the winner for tonight!” Jiyong pointed at each of the crew to determine which one appealed to the crowd the most. When he pointed at the 3rd crew, I swear I felt like I was going to lose my sense of hearing. It was that loud. Jiyong told one of his people to take a picture of the crew to hang at a wall or something and then he gave the crew their prize which was a case of beer. Everyone laughed.

“Hyun Ok! OMG! Tae Yang’s crew won! Did you see him? He was so good! Let’s go to him!” So Hee shouted to my ear. I was like NO-NO-NO but too late because she is dragging met to Young Bae.

Crazy girl!

Once So Hee was in front of Young Bae, she let go of my arm and I used that moment to make a mad dash towards the exit.

But then I bumped into SeungHyun and I made him spill his drink on his shirt.

“Oh my…I’m so sorry,” I wiped his shirt with my handkerchief. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see where I was going.”

SeungHyun grabbed my hand that was wiping his shirt (I could feel his chest!). “Hey, it’s alright. It happens. What are you doing here?"

Then I heard Young Bae’s voice. “Hyung!”

“Yo man, that was sick!” SeungHyun congratulated Young Bae while he was still holding my hand.

Um…

I saw Young Bae looking at SeungHyun’s hand holding my hand.

I’m outta here.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Even later that night…

 

It is 1:27 am and I’m already at home, lying in my bed and playing my guitar. I called Seungri after I left the club and he picked me up and dropped me off. I told him everything that happened, even how I used to be so close to Young Bae and how he likes me now but that boy’s soul was in Nickhun heaven so he couldn’t even pay attention to what I was saying.

“You are not alone…cause I am here with you…lala far away…lalala to stay…”

I didn’t even notice I was singing “You Are Not Alone”. Man, I should just play the guitar and not sing. My voice . Makes me jealous of Young Bae.

Oh!

Young Bae’s home! The light from his room is shining through the crevices of my window.

I walk to the window with my guitar and look at him through one of the cracks. He came out of the restroom wearing only white athletic shorts.

Whoo! Twice in one day! (wink, wink)

He then turns off the light and goes to bed.

I sigh and sat on the floor, leaning on the wall.

What a day.

I started playing the lullaby song that I composed for Youngbae when he couldn't sleep. He would lie on his bed, I would sit on my window seat, playing that song in my guitar.

I was mid-song when I hear Young Bae grunt.

“Hyun Ok. Be quiet. Some people want to sleep.”

 

Young Bae…

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It is 1:36 am. I want to talk to Jae Hwa oppa, but he’s not answering his phone. He must’ve changed his number or got a new phone like he always does. Sigh…I never told my parents that I still talk to Jae Hwa oppa because they would get mad at me. Jae Hwa oppa being some kind of gangster and all. Well, he never really told my parents that he’s in a gang but the way he acts and his lifestyle... it’s too obvious for them. Nevertheless, whenever I feel sad and helpless, somehow he always knows and shows up to console me. Ugh…can’t sleep right now…I can’t believe Young Bae just talked me like that. Is he mad? T_T

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                               

 

 

 

 

 

haha Youngbae believes in a monogamous relationship, you playing Lemon. If you could drop some comments below, that will really rock my day. Shanks.