Chapter 13

Lemons Grow In Mars

 

 

 

 

 

Lemon Girl, the Gold Digger

 

 

 

It is 8:32 pm, Saturday and I'm here at the mall shopping for a birthday gift for Appa and Jae Hwa oppa. Jae Hwa's birthday is right after Appa's. Appa is turning 61 and Jae Hwa oppa is turning 32. I found Appa a new pair of running shoes since the ones he has are worn out and I'm still looking around for a present for Jae Hwa. Damn I must really love these two. The money from my last summer job is running out. (My parents have stopped giving me allowance since I was 13. Other than health and some of my school expenses, I have to earn and pay for everything myself. So stingy.)

Sigh...

It's been five days since I had that talk with Chae Bom. Gah T_T it's making me a little crazy. My heart is swollen with anxiety and oozing with guilt. She hasn't shown up at school after that little event but I had asked Young Bae about it and he told me that she's been having problems with her health lately. I have a feeling he's hiding something. But it could just be me.

"What about these sunglasses? He'll love these!" Youngbae said cheerily as he held up a pair of Ray Bans. Price tag: 200,000 yen. I automatically look at Youngbae's sparkling eyes without knowing. ­(Look away. Look away. Look away. Look away. Look away.)

"It's nice but it's um... it's 200,000 won. Thing'll leave me dry."

"Why are you planning to give him two presents then?"

"He... erm... He's the greatest Appa i-in the world, okay?" I snatched the sunglasses away from his hand and place it back on the counter. "Nosy..."

Oh and another thing, I've realized that it's best that Youngbae doesn't know that I still meet up with Jae Hwa. It's obvious he doesn't like him and it won't help me in any way if he spills the beans to my parents. Same with Jae Hwa, I don't let him know about Youngbae. He doesn't like him too much either. So if you see the two of them in the same room together, let me know before feathers start flying off.

Wha-!

"Seungri-ah!!!!!"

 

 

 

Whoa Seungri looks good! I can tell that Youngbae looks a taken aback by Seungri's appearance too. How can I say this diplomatically? Seungri actually looks like a dude. He doesn't look like he's comfortable with it though because he was running to a different direction (I guess to avoid us) but turned back around because he know he has to.

He curtsied and said, "Madam and Sir".

I clap and curtsied back.

"Something wrong, Seungri?" Youngbae asked. He then gave Seungri the weirdest smile.

I eye Seungri. "You told me earlier this morning that you had somewhere to go to tonight. What's going on?"

"N-nothing!"

"Then why are you acting like you're hiding something from me?"

"Me?" He points at his chest. "Hide something from you? Girl please, know your place." He's acting more like his usual self now. " 'Kay?"

Then finally it hit me. "Aaahh...! You're out with Nickhun right now, aren't ya? Get 'im boy, get 'im! Do your girl proud!"

"Ehehehehe... yep..." Seungri chuckled, surprisingly a bit embarrased.

"That's right," Youngbae smiled sheepishly. "Do your girl proud."

Seungri glares at him. "I gotta go."

"Bye!" I wave while he walks back to Nickhun.

Oh my god! This is so unreal! My bestfriend looks so in love! It is really happening. I never thought it would actually happen!

I turn to Youngbae. "Can you believe it's actually happening? I never would've thought of Nickhun as a guy who could actually fall for another guy but look!"

Youngbae shakes his head. "I wouldn't be too sure of that. They're probably just hanging out like before. You never know, Seungri might be in love with someone else."

"Seungri? In love with someone else? Boy, you were never there whenever Seungri would yap about Nickhun all day long."

"Exactly. I WAS never there," his eyebrows wiggling.

Eh. What?

I snap my fingers around his left ear. "You here? It's Earth. We grow eggplant and lemons and raise chicken, and we have WATER! You can bathe in it and drink it and everything!"

He punches me lightly on my head and laughs.

Omo!

"I found it!" I run to the aisle where the sporting goods are at. They're a bit pricey but I really can't think of anything better. He'll love it!

I point at the fishing rod standing in front of me. "Look, Bae! It's perfect!"

"How? Uncle Yoon doesn't fish."

"Oh... uh um actually... he does."

"No, he doesn't."

"I really... t-think he does..."

"I'm 100% sure he doesn't."

"How would you know anyway? Are you his daughter?"

"Nope. But I've lived next door to him long enough to know that he hates wet fish."

"Now that's exaggerated. My Appa does not hate any food."

"Hyun Ok, he told my Umma to shoo away when she brought some freshly caught fish for him. Then slammed the door and sprayed a whole bottle of air freshener around the door to your house."

Man! That was a century ago, why'd he have to remember that?

"Well... more reason to buy him this..." I said trying to keep my cool. This guy should be a detective or something. He's so skeptical. "He lacks Omega 3 from not eating enough fish and an old guy like him could use more than he's getting. Plus it's the perfect hobby for men his age. He'll love it. And I'm getting it."

He clicks his tongue and shakes his head as he takes the fishing rod from me.

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

It's 8:48 pm (omo!) and me and Youngbae are standing in line waiting to be checked out. I reach for the wallet from my bag and lifted my head up when I saw So Hee pass by a cellphone case stand outside the store. Oh boy. She looks really dressed up. Not like for a ball or a club but more of a date. With her hair curled and everything. Poor Seungri. Just when we thought he'd have Nickhun all for himself pretty So Hee comes running along.

"The shorter one is the gift receipt and the longer one is your receipt. Thank you sir and you two have a good evening," the cashier hands Youngbae the receipts.

Youngbae turns to me and winks. "Let's go. I better take you home before your parents start thinking I did something to you and forces an arranged marriage on us."

"Youngbae! That's MY present for Appa and... ehem just Appa," I hit his shoulder. "How can it be a present from me now if YOU bought it?"

He gives me the most playful smile ever and says, "It's the thought that counts and you had the full control in that department. It's nothing really. Just a little something a bestfriend can do for the other."

"You're not my bestfriend."

"Ouch!" He grabs his chest and hits it (trying to numb the pain?). "If you said that only to hurt me, you did a good job."

"Pabo," I hug him and place my hands around his neck. "But now that you've explained it... well yes I guess I've already done my part." I tilt my head up towards his face. "Thanks oppa..."

"Hyun Ok..." I see his adam's apple go up and down.

"Don't spoil me though. I might get used to it," I tiptoe to reach his face and I bump my nose to his.

With that I walk away smiling.

Until...

Oh my god, my nose really is twice the size of his nose! Gah! @_@


 

 

 

 

 

Lemons Grow In Mars

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

It's around midnight and I was just starting to doze off when my phone vibrated.

"Eh... who can it be? I wanna sleep!" I kick my foot pillow in frustration.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM: UNKNOWN NUMBER XX-XXX-XXXX

CUDDLE BEAR I NEED TO TALK TO YOU. IT'S NOT AN EMERGENCY, I JUST WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT SOMETHING. MEET ME AT THE ZOO AT AROUND 5 ON MON.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah it's Jae Hwa oppa.

It's not an emergency but he texts it all in capital letters. Sigh... I bet this has something to do with Bom. Their romance story is getting a bit annoying. It's like a real life Romeo and Juliet. I used to think that was romantic but being part of a real life version I have to tell you kinda .

Mmm? What is that written on Youngbae's window?

Peeping Not Allowed At The Moment, Twaeji

HOW DARE HE??????!!!!!!

"You little..." If my eyes could burn, it would burn that man.

Instinctively, I plan on getting back. I grab all the things I'd need for a window poster.

"...and... DONE!"

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A HOT, SINGLE HIGH SCHOOL BOY, PLEASE CONTACT DONG TAE YANG AT 08-531-8476. HE LIKES TO FART SITTING DOWN, PREFERS HIS FERMENTED BEAN PASTE EXTRA STINKY, LIKES TO WALK AROUND THE HOUSE IN HIS ONE PIECE ANIME BRIEFS, & CAN OUTDANCE BEYONCE ANY DAY IN A Y DANCE BATTLE. PLEASE CALL. HE NEEDS A GIRL.

After taping it tight, I shut my window and go back to bed.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 lol  bae: "imma duckface the bleep outta this"

 

 

 

 

 

from BC: i might not be able to post for a while so here's a little something something.