The Joker

The Natalis Adventure

 

Inside was another note,

"In a deck of playing cards, you take him out before you play. Find him in the Land of Hearts, between the Ace of Spades and Queen of Hearts." Mi Hee read aloud.

"What does that mean.." She mumbled to herself.

"In a deck of playing cards... You take out the Joker!" She exclaimed.

Jaehyung smiled at her, encouraging her to go on. He wasn't allowed to help, despite knowing all the places they had to go.

It was a rule that Dongho had set from the beginning.

"So I have to find a Joker in the Land of Hearts.." She mumbled.

She reached for her phone and dialed Rina again, "Hi Rina. I found your bias but now I have another riddle." She said.

"Okay, shoot." Rina said, but their conversation was abruptly by Jaehyung taking her phone away.

"No outside help." He said.

"You owe her an autograph by the way." Mi Hee said.

"Owe who an autograph?" He asked.

"My cousin Rina." She answered.

"And why is that?" He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion.

"She helped me find you." She said.

"You already used her for help?" He sighed exasperatedly.

"How else am I supposed to find 'the Smiling Dork that drives an expensive car'?" She asked back.

"Wait, what?" Jaehyung stopped the car at the stop light and took the first clue.

He read it and muttered, "Aish, this kid."

"I told you I needed help." She said, taking the clue back and taking her phone back out.

Jaehyung reacted immediately, taking the phone and hitting the gas for the green light. "No more outside help. If you don't know who the Joker is, then clearly you don't know the industry." Jaehyung told her.

"Are you serious? But what if I get another one that's really vague like yours?" She asked.

"Then I'll help you. I can't give you the answer but I can help on the really vague ones." He said.

"And the autograph?" She asked him.

"Show me a picture of your cousin, then I'll decide." Jaehyung said.

Mi Hee sighed and took out her phone, "What kind of picture would you like to see?" She asked him.

"A good-looking picture." He said.

"Cute or y?" She asked, flipping through the pictures.

"What?" Jaehyung looked at her as the car stopped at another stop light again.

Mi Hee sighed before showing him her phone, "Cute." She showed a picture of Rina's school girl costume for halloween. "Or y?" She brushed her finger across the screen to show Rina in their LBD night.

Jaehyung gaped at both of them and then looked away to drive for the green light. "Okay, I'll give you the autograph." He said before pulling over to the side of the road.

"By the way, you still haven't told me what the Land of Hearts is." He said before taking out one of his pictures and a Sharpie.

He quickly wrote a note and his signature on it and handed it to Mi Hee.

She put the picture away in her bag and pouted. "The Land of Hearts.. It can't be that hard.." She mumbled before they passed a chocolate shop.

"Ahh!! Valentine's Day is coming up! It has to be some sort of sweets shop that is full of hearts!" She exclaimed.

Jaehyung pulled over to the side of the road, "Very good. Now where would you pick the sweets shop to be?" He asked.

Mi Hee looked around before pausing to think once more, "There's so many sweets shops that have hearts during Valentine's Day!!" She complained.

Jaehyung shook his head, "Aish, you crazy girl. Do you really think Dongho would make it that difficult for you?" He said.

Mi Hee shut up immediately, "Oh." 

"So what sweets shop am I driving to?" He asked her.

Mi Hee took a moment to think about it, "The one by their dorm, that's where Dongho and I always go when we want candy." She told him.

"Very good. I will drive you there then." Jaehyung told her. They pulled right up to the shop and Mi Hee leapt out of the car quickly, running into the shop.

She got distracted by the cakes in the fridge in the front and stared at them. One of them was red in the shape of a heart,a barbie girl was drawn in the middle of it and she was wearing a crown. On the opposite side there was a black cake decorated with white spades and dice all over it, as if it was meant to be a Vegas style cake.

Mi Hee looked up at the person behind the counter and jumped when she saw the familiar smirk of an idol behind. "Hello, Princess Mi Hee." He greeted her.

"Junhyung-ssi." She replied in surprise.

He handed her a long stemmed pink rose to add to the one she had gotten from Jaehyung earlier. "Here you go. And here's the next clue." He held out the envelope to her.

She reached for it eagerly and he snatched it away from her. "Why?" She whined.

"You have to eat a piece of cake first, that's the present and that's the deal." Junhyung told her, holding out the decorated plate with a slice of a four layer chocolate cake on top. He handed her a fork as well.

"Okay." Mi Hee sat down in the shop and Jaehyung and Junhyung sat across from her just waiting for her to finish.

The two idols smiled at each other when they found that both of them had been roped into helping with the birthday present for Dongho's girl.

"This is new." Junhyung said.

"It's Dongho, though." Jaehyung replied.

"You're right, that kid is special."