Done

Battle of the Brains

Kyuhyun

Like I've said before: The things I do for my friends.

After Raeha hung up, I called Sungmin, who I had left behind at the party. Was he even home yet?

"Yeoboseyo?" I could hear what sounded like cars in the background.

"Sungmin, where are you?"

"I was just on my way home. What's up?"

“Tch. You should be home, studying for the test.”

“Oh crap! I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me! If I don’t pass this, Hyeri’ll kill me!”

“Kill you? Why?”

“We’ve been studying for this the whole week, and we’ve even been staying up til midnight lately.”
“Oh? Staying up doing what, exactly?” I smirked.

“Yah I-it’s not like that, we were just studying!!!” He quickly said defensively.

“Yeah, sure. I totally believe you.” I answered sarcastically. “Anyway, seeing as you need motivation to actually do something about your obvious feelings, I’ve got a proposition for you.” I said evilly, thinking of what was going to happen.

“Ehhh what? What do you mean, obvious?”

“Tomorrow, if you pass that test, you will confess to Hyeri.”

“WHAT? WAIT, I-I…”

“Come on, Sungmin. It’s been three years. Man up!”

 

The line was silent for a while, so I guess he was thinking it over. “Ugh. Fine. What happens if I don’t pass?”

“Then I’ll let Hyeri go ahead and kill you.”

“YAH! KYUUUUUU!” he whined in his baby voice.

I chuckled. “Go study while you still can. I’m about to study, too.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot you were obsessed with beating Raeha at math.”

“I’m not obsessed. Just—“

“Yeah, yeah, determined, I know. Why don’t you just ask Raeha to tutor you?”

“What?? That would be like admitting defeat.”

“Correction; you’re not just obsessed with beating her at math, you’re obsessed with beating her at everything.

“No I’m not.”

He ignored me and continued. “You know, I always wondered why you were like that.”

“Are we having this conversation again?”

“Whatever. It’s not like you’ll listen this time, either. See ya tomorrow, Kyu~” He ended in a cheery voice before hanging up.

Yes, see you tomorrow, I thought mischievously.

 

 

 

 

God, it was so hard to focus on this test with Sungmin’s incessant grunts, moans, and pencil tapping behind me. I was very tempted to yell at him right now, but we weren’t allowed to talk during the test. What’s more, Raeha was sitting right beside me, and she had finished early, as usual. She was flipping her pen in the air and trying to catch it, but dropped it several times, making annoying click sounds on the floor. I shook my head and furrowed my brows in concentration, and finally finished the last question on the test.

I leaned back in my chair quietly and waited for everyone to finish, my eyes unconsciously following Raeha’s pen as it flew from her hand into the air and into her hand, or onto the floor. Hand, air, hand. Hand, air, floor.

 

As soon as the teacher said, “Test is over. Stop writing.” I heard Sungmin drop his pen and plop his head onto his desk; out of relief or out of exhaustion, I didn’t know.

I turned in my seat to face him. “How’d you do, Sungminnie?”

He didn’t raise his head as he mumbled, “I don’t know. I can’t think right now. I don’t even remember what I answered.”

I looked up and saw Hyeri approaching. “It was nice knowing you, buddy. Have a happy death.” I jokingly patted his shoulder.

“Hey Sungmin! Don’t sulk, I’m sure you did fine.” Hyeri said reassuringly.

“Mmm.” He groaned back miserably.

Hyeri then looked up and said, “Looks like someone stayed up late last night.”

I turned to where she was looking and found that Raeha had finally grown tired of waiting for everyone else to finish and got bored with flipping her pen, so she just went to sleep.

“Yah, Raeha, get up. We’ve still got classes for the rest of the day.” Hyeri gently poked her cheek.

“Nooo wait I haven’t found x yet.” She mumbled with her eyes still closed, making Hyeri and Sungmin laugh. I couldn’t help but chuckle along a little.

“Yah!” Hyeri shook her a bit harder, making her finally get up and blink the sleep off. “Did you stay up late last night? You don’t even study!”

She sniffed and replied, “Yeah, I was playing games on the internet.”

Hyeri rolled her eyes. “Let me guess. Starcraft?” Raeha nodded a bit guiltily.

“You never take school seriously.” I muttered under my breath. She probably heard it but didn’t say anything.

The teacher interrupted us and said, “Alright, students, I’ll grade these immediately and post your results as soon as possible.” She said, gathering the papers before leaving the room.

 

 

“Hey, look! There they are!” I looked over to where Sungmin was pointing. A large crown was once again gathered in front of the announcements board. It had only been two hours. That was fast.

“Come on!” Sungmin dragged me over to the horde of people that I usually avoided. There it was again.

Cho Kyuhyun. 2nd.

Jung Raeha. 1st.

Frowning, I turned away and tried to get away from the mass of people and find Sungmin.

“Kyu!! Kyu!!” I heard him call. He headed over to me with a wide smile. “I did it!”

“Great job, buddy.” I forced a smile. From behind him, I saw Hyeri come over.

“Sungmin! I saw the resuls! Congra—“

“Hyeri! Thanks so so so much!” Sungmin, in his state of joy, swept Hyeri up and spun her around, and I laughed loudly, making the other students turn.

“S-Sungmin, you can put me down now.” They both turned red. “Oh, sorry.” He said, shyly putting her down, then rubbing his neck.

From behind Hyeri, I glared at Sungmin. I mouthed silently, “You. Confess.”

He looked a bit distressed, and Hyeri asked, “Hey are you alright?”

“N-ne. Um, H-Hyeri-ah, could you… um… ah…” I motioned for him to go on. “Uh… could you come with me for a minute?” he held out his hand for her o take.

“Uh okay…?” Hyeri looked a bit confused but took his hand anyway.

“Well, I’ll leave you two, then. I’ve got to head to the classroom!” I waved to them, and Sungmin pulled Hyeri toward a nearby empty classroom. Not that romantic, but I guess he wasn’t really in the right mind to be thinking about that right now.

 

“Hey, Cho, have you seen Hyeri?” Raeha asked as soon as I walked into the room.

“It’s happening.” I said nonchalantly. She yelled out, “WHAT? Why didn’t you tell me? I want to watch!!”

“Tsk. Leave them alone, Jung.”

“I demand you to take me to them right now!!” she said angrily.

“What? Who do you think you are, bossing me around like that?”

“Come ooooon!” She whined and pulled on my shirtsleeve.

“Stop that,” I tried to pull her hand off.

“Yah! You’re wasting precious time, time that I could be spending watching a confession!” She was starting to make a scene.

“UGH, FINE!” I threw my hands up in frustration and stomped out of the room, while she smiled triumphantly and followed me. “You could have used this time to study or something.”

“This falls under the category or something.” She retorted.

 

“Here,” I stopped in front of the room Sungmin had gone into. She clapped and squealed, and I left her alone, standing in the hall like an idiot.

 

Raeha

 

It's like a romance drama come to life!

Too bad I couldn't hear any of it through the classroom door.

I slowly pushed the door open a crack as quietly as I could. They didn’t seem to notice.

“I’m really sorry for dragging you here like this.” Sungmin began, rubbing the back of his neck.

“No, it’s fine, I’m just a bit surprised, that’s all. So what did you want to talk about?”

“Actually, um… ohmygosh… um here.” He said nervously, fumbling with his bag. He pulled out a flat box thing… Was that a CD case?

“What’s this?”

“Well, I remember how you told me you liked that drama but could never catch it on tv and couldn’t find the episodes online?”

Hyeri looked from the CD back to Sungmin. “Whoa, thanks a lot for this! You didn’t have to.”

“B-but I wanted to.”

Hyeri smiled.

“It was my way of saying thanks for the tutoring and stuff.” Sungmin fiddled with his fingers.

“Oh that’s okay, you really didn’t need to do this. I already agreed to do it for free.”

 

Sungmin looked nervous, and headed to the nearest window. He carefully plucked a bunch of flowers from the flower box below the window and handed them to Hyeri, blushing. “S-sorry, this is really sudden.”

Hyeri laughed. “Yeah, this is pretty impromptu. But don't be sorry, it's actually very cute. What’s this about?”

Sungmin took a deep breath, then said rapidly, “Ilikeyoui’velikedyouforthreeyearsbecauseyou’rethemostamazinggirleverwillyoupleasegooutwithme?” Smooth, Sungmin.

Hyeri chuckled and said, “Yes.”

Sungmin sighed and said, “Okay. I’m sorry. I know—Wait, did you just say yes?” he asked, incredulous. Hyeri just laughed and hid her face in her hands shyly.

“YES!” He hugged her tightly, making her turn red. “Thank you so much!” Sungmin said, impulsively kissing her cheek.

“Sungminnie… I can’t breathe…”

“Oh sorry! Do you need CPR?”

“YAH!” Hyeri pouted and Sungmin pinched her cheek.

 

“Assa!” I pumped my fist and squealed a bit too loudly. The two of them turned in surprise.

“H-hi guys! Congratulations okay gotta run bye!” I ran off before Hyeri could kill me.