Lullaby (Short Chapter)

Battle of the Brains

Annyeong, subs!! Sorry it's been so long, I've been busy and demotivated for the longest time. But I've got a long break so here's a short new chap for old and new subs! :D will add another chap tomorrow!


 

Kyuhyun

"I believe in you... because everyone deserves to reach their dreams."

I wish she knew how often I'd already thought about this, how many nights I stayed up just wondering, what if I became famous for my music? What if I wasn't smart? What if I could just do whatever I wanted? What if, what if, what if. But no matter what "what if" came along, I wasn't strong enough to go against my father's wishes. Imagine being the only son in three generations of educators, and I was to be... a musician? I would be a shameful disappointment.

Still, sometimes in my dreams, I feel the music coursing through my veins, notes running through my head, and imagine a voice coming out of my mouth, and it's a song I've never heard before, and just for a little while, I'm overcome with a feeling that must be... happiness. 

And somehow, strangely, when Raeha told me that she believed in me, I felt a little lighter. And she'd never heard me sing. While carrying her home, my thoughts were filled with the competition, and I was barely even aware of her on my back.

 

Lying in bed, I was so deep in thought that I barely noticed my phone vibrating until it fell off the table. I quickly picked it up off the floor and tapped the green icon to pick up the call.

"H-hello??" 

"Cho!!" said a familiar voice.

"Jung? What up?? Is it about your ankle?" I sat up quickly. I heard her softly chuckle from the other end. "No, nothing bad. Am I detecting a hint of worry?" I could almost hear her smirk.

"N-no! Just don't want to be held liable for any damage."

"HAHAHA. It's alright, you don't have to pretend like you don't care." I heard amusement in her voice. I only huffed out a quiet laugh in reply. "Anyway," she continued, "I had some trouble sleeping, and I thought, 'wow this is the perfect excuse to hear Cho sing!' So how about it?"

"What?? Am I your personal iPod? What am I supposed to even sing??"

"Anything. I just need to sleep. Pleeeeee-" "Are you doing aegyo??" "--eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee--" "that's gross. Stop." "--eeeeeeeeeee--" "OH MY GO--" "-eeeeeeeeeeeeee--" "Damn your lungs are strong. OKAY." "--eese YAY."

"Aish. you reached a new level of annoying." I said jokingly. I even chuckled at her cute behavior.

"Go. I'm lying down as we speak."

"Uhhh okay, here... goes?"

 

I quieted down for a moment, trying to think of some song. For that brief moment, when neither of us made a sound except for us breathing, a sense of calm came over. My mind emptied and my heart felt light. I took a deep breath. Words came out of me, a song I heard somewhere before:

Remember that all of it was love
When you’re struggling and lonely
Don’t forget that you’re not alone
Until I can reach your star

My pitiful self and this heart
I can’t take it anymore
Have courage for your hidden truth, I will protect you
Wait for me, until I find my way to you
So our stars won’t ever miss each other again
Wait just a little, until I reach your star

 

 

Slowly lowering my voice as I reached the end, I finished the last few words in almost a whisper. The silence was back, warm and calm, but not the stuffy, suffocating kind.

"Hello?"

There was no reply, only a breathing so low I barely heard it. So she fell asleep that fast?

I whispered, "night, Raeha," and hung up.