Sorry

Battle of the Brains

Mian! I'm taking too long because of my college shizzz. Hopefully you guys don't hate me T.T


 

 

Kyuhyun

During math class, the teacher handed our test papers back. I frowned. Five mistakes on my part, only two mistakes more tha Raeha. So close.

A buzz went throughout the class, and soon people were crowding around Raeha's chair, asking her questions loudly. "Guys, guys, one at a time." She huffed, trying to settle them down. I couldn't even see her behind all these people. And they were so noisy, I couldn't hear myself think. Even Hyeri and Sungmin were up, standing in the crowd. The group was growing so I pushed my chair farther away, trying to get some space, some peace and quiet.

"Okay," she held up a blank piece of paper and copied the test question on it. It was one of the items I got wrong and couldn't figure out. A small gap appeared between two people and I tried to peek through it as she explained. "So you move this here, add this, multiply it by three. Good so far?" She wrote, pointed, and paused, waiting for them to respond. Some people nodded, others stared blankly. She sighed. "Okay, see this? You're looking for this, so everything that doesn't have this is moved here." I mouthed a silent oooh in understanding. How did she--

"How'd you come up with that?" A guy asked the question on my mind. Raeha couldn't respond. She looked confused, then frowned. "I use all the past lessons and combine them." Everybody looked confused. She sighed. "I don't know. I just… know."

That made no sense. And I kind of hated how she made sense of things without making sense. She could solve a problem without completely understanding how she did it. And the methods she used weren't even in any textbooks I read, but her answers are correct!

Admittedly, maybe it wasn't hate, just… envy?

 

"Which part of the book is that in?" I asked her. She shrugged. "Oh, it's not in the book." I frowned. "Then how do you know it was right?" "I pretty much did the same thing in a different way."

"What? That made no sense. The book is less confusing."

"Well, the book is just an example for us to follow. We shouldn't use the same methods over and over. Sometimes it healps to think of your own solutions to a problem."

"We follow the procedures in the book because they're tried and tested, and give you a sure answer."

"How would you know? You never even bother getting your face out of your stupid books."

"Maybe you'd know why I do if you'd actually open them." I spat back. I saw the students edge back slowly as our voices grew louder.

 

"Whoa guys, calm down. Let's not get heated up." Sungmin and Hyeri appeared and cut off just in time.

“Guys, don’t be immature.” Hyeri said. I bit my lips but decided not to say anything.

“Come on, Kyu, cool off.” Sungmin held my arm firmly and pulled me out of the room. Hyeri followed and gave Raeha some sort of telepathic message. Raeha seemed to understand. Must be some girl thing.

I followed the two of them to the school cafeteria, where Sungmin tried to force me to eat. In the end I reluctantly accepted the sandwich he pushed into my hands. We sat on one of the benches that encircled the trees in the garden. Hyeri was on the bench while Sungmin sat at her feet and leaned on her legs, laying his head on her knees. She brushed the hair out of his face. It was disgusting to look at.

“Guys, seriously, this isn’t the time or place.” They ignored me and got absorbed in their own conversation. Sighing, I just turned to the math book I had clutched onto before I left the room. I opened to the page with the problem that I had been having a hard time with, trying over and over again to get it right. I was also trying to ignore the two lovey-dovey idiots sitting beside me.

After staring at the same solution for ten minutes without actually understanding any of it, I sighed in frustration. I raked my hand through my hair and almost screamed. None of it was making sense, and my head was hurting.

“Hey, you okay?”

I looked up to see none other than Jung Raeha standing over me.

 

Raeha

He looked up to me with a look of absolute incredulity. I come here to apologize, and he looks totally pissed. Great.

“Okay, look, about what I said back there, I'm sorry. I was just a bit stressed." His look of incredulity turned to one of shock. "Yah, is it really surprising for me to apologize?" He nodded slowly.

I shook my head. "If you won't accept my apology, fine. Can't say I didn't try." I huffed and turned away. I caught Hyeri giving me a look that said, Yah, that wasn't a real apology! but I ignored her.

I stopped in my tracks and added, "I may be sorry if somehow I made you hate me, but I'm not sorry for defending myself and my methods." Spinning around again, I stomped away.

 

"Jung. Wait." He grabbed my arm to stop me. I turned to him, surprised. I mean, this was the guy who hated my guts. And now, he just grabbed my arm out of nowhere. He must have realized this, too, because as soon as I met his eyes, he quickly dropped his arms and avoided looking. From the grass, Sungmin hit Kyuhyun's leg  with the back of his hand and looked sideways at me, as if trying to tell him something.

"Okay. I'm sorry, too."

I raised my eyebrows. "Sorry for what?"

"I don't know. For getting mad and trying to argue all the time or whatever." He said uncertainly. I narrowed my eyes. "You don't really mean it."

"Yeah, I do." He forced himself to look at me in the eyes. He looked really sincere, which surprised me.

I smiled a bit. "It's not your fault, anyway. And I guess I still owe you a bit for that." I looked over at Hyeri and Sungmin. "So, are you free on Saturday?"

"Wait, wait, wait. Are you asking him out??" Sungmin sat up. 

"WHAT? HELL NO." I denied. "I'm setting him up with Seohyun."

"Seriously? Is this true, Kyu??" Sungmin asked.

"No, it's not, because I'm not going."

"Too late, I've already texted her." I held up my phone.

"Wait, you what? Give me that!" Kyuhyun reached out for my phone.

"Come and get it, Cho." I held it out of his reach and started to back away. He kept reaching out, and I started to run.

"Yah, give it, Jung!" He chased after me, and I ran backwards while sticking my tongue out.

 

 

 

"These two." Hyeri chuckled. "I guess we should separate them before they kill each other." She started to get up but tripped over Sungmin's legs, but he leaned over to try to catch her. He landed on bag with Hyeri on top of him, with his arms around her.

With their eyes wide open in surprise, they found that their lips were accidentally locked. And they didn't get up for several seconds.

 

"Oh my gosh, Sungmin, I'm so sorry!" Hyeri pushed herself off the ground and blushed hard.

Sungmin got up and said, "Don't be sorry." He held her cheek and pulled her hands away from shielding her face and leaned in to kiss her softly. She was surprised, but soon closed her eyes and kissed him back happily, as the two felt each other smile.

 

 


The last part is the fluuuufff for fishymushroom96! Mianhaee it's so short>.<