House Visit p.2

Battle of the Brains

"Come on, Raeha, we've got a long night of studying ahead of us," Kyuhyun said after dinner. He led me towards his room as I thanked his family for the lovely dinner.

"Wow. This is... exactly what I imagined your room to look like." I looked around his room, which was organized neatly. His bedsheets were crisply folded smooth, his books were aligned on the shelf by subject and  by height, and when we approached his desk, his freaking pencils were lined up in rows. Who does that??

"Alright, where do we start? How about World War I?" He took a book out from his shelf and sat at his swivel chair. I plopped down on his bed.

"Yah, get up! You can't be lazy from the start!"

"Go ahead, just read stuff to me, maybe some of it will get into my brain," I said lazily. "And when I fall asleep of boredom, I'll already be on the bed! Ta-dah, genius!" I joked.

"Would you please take this seriously?" He said seriously.

"Fine." I said, sitting up but not moving from the bed. "Teach me history, master!"

"So, do you know how the first world war started?"
"I don't know. Hitler?"

He heaved a heavy sigh. "We've got a lot of work to do."

 

 

At around 10 pm, we had somehow ended up on the carpet between the bed and the desk. Kyuhyun was sitting up with the book in his lap and I was lying on my stomach with my feet in the air.

"We've been at this for hours," I whined, "are we done yet?"

"I suppose. Anyway, you seem to get the gist of this chapter," he relented, though whether he was tired from studying or tired from putting up with my whining, I didn't know. I didn't care. I just wanted to go home.

"Ugh finally. So I guess I'll be on my way then!" I pushed myself off the floor and gathered my things. I headed towards the door.

"Are you going to be picked up?" He asked.

"Nah, I can take the bus." I headed down the hallway, towards the stairs.

"At this time of night?" he sounded incredulous.

"Why? It's safe enough."

"No way, I'll borrow my dad's car and drive you home."

"You don't have to go through all that trouble." I said, touched by his concern.

"We can't have you getting kidnapped before the contest," he joked.

 

"Is that all I am to you? An instrument to help you win?" My face went serious.

He fell silent. His face became unreadable, and an awkward silence filled the space between us.

 

I broke into a smile, releasing the tension. "You should have seen your face. Ha!" I laughed and turned away, trying to ignore the nagging reminder that he did not deny what I had said.

 

 

Kyuhyun

 

 

The whole car ride to her house was filled with yelling and laughing as we argued who the better military leader was, Napoleon or Washington. It seemed like such a stupid thing to argue about, but we really got into it.

As we stopped in front of the house, she turned to me. "You know, I never knew you had this side of you."

"What side?"

"This fun side that isn't all grades and work and booooring," she made a disgusted face that strangely made me chuckle, "I wish I saw this side more often."

"Well I certainly never expected that I'd find someone to debate military strategies with, but here we are." We chuckled, and a comfortable silence followed.

 

"C-come to think of it, you may be the only other person other than Sungmin who I can actually call a friend. Sorta." I admitted without looking at her. I felt my face get hot, but the air conditioning was still on; fortunately, the lights were off except for the blinking signals on the dashboard.

I heard her head turn to me. "Kinda feels nice, having a friend, huh? You know what makes a friend so special is the time and energy spent with them."

 

I bit my lip, then faced her. "Then... thanks for taking the time to be my friend."

In the dark of the car, I saw the corners of her lips turn up into a smile. "Thanks for letting me."

She got up and opened the door of the car. Once she was fully out, she bent down and said, "See you tomorrow!" before she pushed the car door shut. I watched as she pulled out a set of keys from her bag and opened the door, then shut it again. I stared at the door for quite some time, pondering on the fact that just two weeks ago I was constantly trying to strangle her, and now I was dropping her off at her house. What was happening to me?

 

When I got back to the house, I tiptoed back up to my room, careful not to wake my mother who slept early every night. Tired and with my head spinning, I plopped down on my bed face up. My entire body hurt, particularly my back. Maybe I had been hunched over the book for too long.

Wait a second. That pain in my back was not coming from in my back. I reached under me to pull out a large white phone that was most definitely not mine. I pressed the home button.

The lock screen wallpaper was some guy with too much eyeliner on, probably one of those celebrities. There was no passcode, and I swiped across the screen to see the home wallpaper was a picture of a family against a backdrop of the beach. The parents looked around the same age as mine, and Jung stood in between them, wearing only a large white t-shirt over a swimsuit.

Damn idiot left her phone. I suppose I'd have to give it to her tomorrow at scho-- Holy crap it's ringing why is it ringing do I pick up???

The caller ID said "Umma." Realizing it was probably Jung calling, I answered.

 

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Oh, Cho! Thank goodness it was with you." I heard her sigh with relief on the other line, "Thanks so much!"

"Welcome. I'll give it to you tomorrow... actually, hang on a second." I just got an idea, and an evil smile played on my lips. "I'll give it to you on one condition."

"Uh-oh, I don't like the sound of that."

"You'll be my slave for tomorrow. I'll give it to you at the end of the day IF your performance is satisfactory."

"What the-- why can't you just give me my phone back??"

"I don't want to."

"So childish!" she heaved in exasperation. "Fine!!! I just want my phone baaack." I could imagine her pouting cutely. Wait, CUTELY?? What was wrong with me today???

"A-anyway, see you tomorrow then!" I hung up quickly.

 

I rubbed my face. Maybe I was just tired. I glanced at the clock. 11pm, I guess it would be a good time to sleep. I placed the phone on the table beside mine and changed into pajamas.

I turned off all the lights except for my bedside light, tired but not drowsy. I guess some good music would help me drift off to sleep.

 

Curiously, I glanced at Jung's phone beside me. I remembered that occasionally in class she would have earphones on while the teacher wasn't discussing. He allowed it, of course. They let her do anything she wanted.

I unlocked her phone and opened her music player app. She had hundreds of songs, most of which I recognized as those popular songs that always showed up on the radio or TV. I plugged earphones in and tapped a random one to find that it was a slow ballad. Without knowing, I started to hum along.

 


A/N: Hmm... shorter than I expected. I hope you guys don't get tired of this fic because I'm planning it to be looooooong. ㅋㅋㅋ