Phone Plans

Battle of the Brains

Raeha

"Raehaaa help meeeee."

I sighed and closed the door behind me and flung myself onto my bed. "Hyeri-ah, I already did. Do you know how hard it was to get you tow to sit together and have everyone leave without it being blatantly obvious?" I laughed and could imagine her pouting on the other end. "I didn't ask you to do that." "But if I did't, you never would have done it yourself. Why? How did it go? Was it bad?"

"It wasn't bad… I was just really awkward." Her voice grew quiet on the other end of the phone. "Mmhmmm. Define 'awkward.'"

"The two of us were just sitting there rambling on… I don't even know what we were talking about. I was too nervous with the thought that it was jut the two of us there." "But you two are alone together all the time when you tutor!" I pointed out. "But it's differeeeent!" She whined, and I heard her muffle a moan with her pillow, guessing that she was lying on her bed as well.

I chuckled softly. "From my point of view, it seemed like he was enjoying the conversation."

"…… Really?"

Even though she couldn't see me, I rolled my eyes. "Oh my god, could you two just go out already? You're so obvious."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You're such an idiot." I laughed while getting up from my bed and heading to the closet to get my pajamas.

"Yah!!!!"

Suddenly, my phone vibrated while I was holding it up to my ear. "Hang on, someone just texted me." I pulled the phone away from my ear and opened the text while the call was ongoing. Strangely, it was an unknown number.

Seonsaengnim told me to tell you that we're going to have training again tomorrow afternoon. Be on time.

Tch. Just by looking at the text, I could already tell who it was. It was so serious. Not even a smiley in sight. It was hard to believe this guy was best friends with an outgoing, popular guy like Sungmin. Hang on…

"Hyeri-ah, we've got a big test on Trig tomorrow, right?"

"Uh, yeah, I'm surprised you even remembered, you never listen in class. Why?" Ignoring her comment, I just replied a short, cheery, "Oh, nothing. Just wondering if you were prepared, that's all." Though I don't think you'll be prepared for what I have planned.

"Yeah, I reviewed a bit while I was tutoring Sungmin. Common courtesy declares that I ask you if you studied, too, but I already know you haven't, and don't plan on it." We laughed together.

"Yah, what are you laughing at?" I heard a shrill male voice on the other end. "Ugh YOU LITTLE--" Hyeri yelled and I heard a bit of a scuffling sound before, "Ummaaaa noona's trying to kill me!" "YAH, TAEJI!" A far-off voice whom I recognized as Hyeri's mother called out, "You two, stop running around and making my clean floors dirty!"

I couldn't help but laugh at all the yelling on the other end of the phone. Hyeri sighed and said, "Raeha, I have to go now. My little brother's being a brat again." A  voice answered, "Noona, I heard that! I'll tell omma!" Then the line went dead after a short exchange of goodbyes. Time to put phase one of plan Sungmin+Hyeri into action. And this was probably going to be the worst part.

 

Going to my phone log, I tapped the unknown number that had texted me and pressed call. I wasn't even sure this plan was foolproof. But it was my best bet right now. One ring. Two rings. Three rings. Four rings. God, was he really going to keep me hanging here? Maybe he saw the caller ID and freaked. Hehe. I would actually like to see the guy freak out for once. He was always so tight-faced.

"Yeoboseyo," he answered with a bored tone.

"Yah, what took you so long to answer?"

"If you called just to argue with me--"

"No, no, wait! I need to ask a favor."

Silence.

 

"Hello? Are you still there, Cho?"

"Are you serious?"

I scoffed. "What do you mean by that?"

"Why would I do anything for you?" WHAT-- THAT WAS RUDE. And here I thought he would actually start to warm up to me. Tsk.

"This isn't for me. It's for Hyeri."

"What?" he asked in confusion.

"I need you to get Sungmin to confess to Hyeri."

"What do you think I've been trying to do for the past three years?"

"Three years?? Wow. I had no idea." I shook my head and tried to get back to the subject. "Anyway, can you make a deal with Sungmin?"

"… What kind of deal?"

"Well, tomorrow's the trig test, and you know how they've been reviewing together for that."

"I think I can see where you're going with this." Well, of course he could. He's smart, after all.

"Then does that mean you're doing it?"

 

"Wait. What do I get?"

"Uh, the satisfaction of seeing your best friend happy with a girl he likes?"

"I could do that without having to coordinate with you." Ouch. What's wrong with working with me? Granted, I'm kind of lazy, and a general rule-breaker, and sometimes I can get a little too far ahead with my ideas… okay. So maybe I'm not the best person to work with.

"Fine." I tried to think back, when I suddenly remembered the party earlier, when Seohyun was standing with Kyuhyun for quite a while. I wonder what they were talking about? "How about i get you a date with Seohyun?"

"Wha- What makes you think I'd like a date with Seohyun? Not to say that she doesn't seem like a good person, I mean, she seems like a good person…"

Aha. Caught. "You need to get out more, you know that? Maybe if you got yourself a girlfriend, you'd stop living your life with your in a bunch."

"What does that even mean?!" he shouted.

"Well, do you accept or don't you?"

 

I heard a very audible sigh on the other end. "Fine. For Sungmin." Yeahhh, I'm sure that was your only reason.

"Thank you for your kind patronage, Cho Kyuhyun. I'm sure I'll enjoy working with you."

"Why do I get the feeling there's more to this than I know?"

"Is there?" I replied mischevously.