Saturday!

Battle of the Brains

Finally updating because I have time to write! YAY! (SORRY TO ALL MY OLD SUBBIES. I HOPE YOU STILL LOVE ME BECAUSE I STILL LOVE YOU.)

 


Kyuhyun

Dingdong! 

I waited outside the address Raeha gave me. I had brought Seohyun a small gift, a box of chocolates. Girls like chocolates, right? I teetered from the balls of my feet to my toes and back. Still waiting. Should I ring again?

Just as I raised my hand to ring the bell again, the door opened to reveal Seohyun in a lovely yellow sundress. The outside breeze caught her dark, wavy hair. "Hi, Kyuhyun," her voice rang, high and soft. I wondered what Raeha looked like on lovely Saturdays like this, outside of school.

Wait, what??? Why did Jung suddenly enter my brain??? And when did I start unconsciously calling her by her first name?? Oh, gross, she must've infested my head when she was trying to drill those math equations into me!!

The good thing is, when she entered my head, it reminded me of her tips.

 

"You look great, Seohyun." I smiled at her and gave her the chocolates, and she smiled back. "Thank you," she said, "though I don't really eat chocolates. I'm trying to eat only things low on sugar, you see. To be healthier." I suddenly thought, wow, if Jung were here, she'd grab that box and stuff the whole thing in in three seconds flat.

Taking my arm effortlessly after she closed the door behind her, she asked, "where to?"

I noticed how confident she seemed, a contrast to my own awkwardness. "I was thinking a nice café. Have any suggestions?"

"I know a great place! Come on," she said, and we walked down the street.

 

I gulped as I saw the prices. I had no idea fancy coffee and cakes cost this much! Were all cafés this expensive?? Well, I wouldn't know, I only went to the cheap ones anyway. But Seohyun looked pretty comfortable as she scanned the menu, so I guess it's a good sign?

I was reminded of that cheap ramyun dinner with Jung. Now that was a meal worth paying for. I hid my discomfort as Seohyun ordered a sugar-free Americano (did they make those??). I got a regular black coffee, the cheapest item on the menu.

 

"So, how's the competition thing going for you?" she asked as we sat down to wait for our order.

"Oh same old stuff. Math, Science, History, Jung being lazy, the usual." The last one made her smile.

"You're lucky to have her as a partner, though."

"Why, what's wrong with Henry?"

"Oh, nothing's wrong with Henry! It's just that we're not as close to each other as you and Raeha seem to be. You guys have chemistry, you see, that make you a great team. Henry and I can have different opinions but we won't argue with each other about it, so we'll just answer whatever and agree, and sometimes it'll be wrong and I was just too shy to tell him the other answer was probably right. Stupid, I know, but it's hard to explain. We're just not a good team, I guess."

Huh, I never thought of it that way. I guess there were times our fighting led to the clearing up of an answer somehow. It was weird, but fighting worked. At least, for us.

Suddenly, the bell rang to say Seohyun's order was ready; it was the kind of cafe where you picked the order up yourself from the counter. As she got up and walked towards the counter, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I got a text from Raeha asking how the date was going.

Good, so far, I replied.

That's so vague. What happened? Did you do what I told you? She replied back almost immediately.

Yeah, I guess, I shot back. What happened? Nothing yet. I mean, we were basically just talking like friends. Which I guess, we are right now, anyway so why does it matter?

AGH! Vague reply again. Fine. Be that way. Just tell me how it all ends. Bye~

Psh, whatever. I didn't bother replying and locked my phone. I wonder what was taking Seohyun so long? Stretching my neck to look at the counter, I could see her... and she was talking to some tall, broad-shouldered guy with his back to me. Well, she seemed pretty happy, laughing and all. Wonder what it was he said that was so funny.

Then, Seohyun started to walk back to our table carrying her order, but the guy turned to follow her. So he was coming over here, huh?

 

"Kyuhyun, this is my friend Yonghwa. He and I go to school together. Yonghwa, this is Kyuhyun, a friend I met in one of the competitions."

Ouch. Just friend, huh? Well, I guess I shouldn't expect more. And he was called a friend too. Though I wonder if she meant the same kind of friend.

"Nice to meet you, Kyuhyun." Yonghwa extended his hand to shake. I shook it limply. "Nice to meet you too, Yonghwa. Have you known Seohyun long?"

"Oh we've been classmates just this year. But we were classmates in music class, so we're good friends. We even wrote a song together!" He smiled at Seohyun. It was obviously more than just a friendly smile. Seohyun blushed as Yonghwa slid into the seat beside her.

 

"Ah, I see."

 

I spent the rest of that "date" slowly sipping coffe while contributing minimally to the conversation Yonghwa and Seohyun were having. I don't even remember what they were talking about. Something about sweet potatoes.

"Oh my gosh, Kyuhyun, you should have been there. I still can't believe she brought a whole sack of sweet potatoes to Busan on a class trip! All for herself!" Yonghwa cracked up at the memory.

"I was hungry! And those are my favorite!" Seohyun tried to defend herself but was smiling and laughing nonetheless. I felt awkward and out of place. I was the third wheel the whole time.

 

"It was excruciating." I told Raeha on the phone after I dropped Seohyun off at her house. Well, actually, Yonghwa dropped her off in his car then dropped me off at mine. "I was just sitting there."

"I'm sorry. I had no idea she had a guy! And she was the one who agreed to go on that date, anyway."

"Some friend you are." I said grouchily.

"Hey, I know it was bad, but don't blame me."

"Then who do I blame?"

"It's nobody's fault."

Guess she was right. Again. Gah, why does she always have to be right??

"I said I was sorry..." she mumbled after receiving no reply from me.

I sighed. "It's fine, I guess. I sorta knew this wasn't going to work out anyway.

 

"... Look, I'll try to make it up to you. Ramyun place again? My treat." She suggested. My stomach gurgled. I had eaten nothing except that stupid black coffee full of bitterness. 

"Sounds good, I guess."