Step Nine

2 Cups of Sugar

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened as he saw Ryeowook standing at the doorway. “Ryeowook?!” He pushed the hood down to reveal non other than Roxanne with a smug smile on her face. “Roxanne?!”

“I-is this what you wanted to tell me?” Ryeowook asked trying hard to hold back the tears. “If you wanted to tell me that you had a girlfriend… I could’ve settles for a simple text… ” Kyuhyun pushed passed her and reached out for Ryeowook. But the other just stepped back from the other.

“Ryeowook,! Please, let me explain!” he pleaded, he tried to reach out once more but Ryeowook continued to back away from Kyuhyun, “When you messaged me last night I thought… that…”

“Well, think again! Kyuhyun is all mine once again!” Roxanne told the other with an evil smirk latching herself around Kyuhyun‘s arm. “Stop it!” Kyuhyun shouted back and pulled free from Roxanne’s hold.

“Ryeowook! Kyuhyun! Are you in there?” the two heard Leeteuk call out. Ryeowook wiped away any tears that have fallen, and with out sparing the other another glance he walked into Mr. Lau’s office locking the door. By then Leeteuk and Henry were already inside.

Leeteuk paid no attention to Kyuhyun and went to the locked door while Henry stood by and watched Kyuhyun and Roxanne. “You’ve got some nerve…” he stated low enough for just the three of them to hear.

“You break up with me just to make my life miserable… then once I move on you make it all the more worse just trying to come back…” Kyuhyun state coldly pulling his arm away, walking to the employee area.

“Well, A good boyfriend would‘ve waited for their girlfriend to have her fun and then come back, I guess you aren‘t a good boyfriend.” she retorted. “A good boyfriend?!” Henry yelled back. “Just so you know, he was a mess after you left him.”

“A mess? if he was so disappointed to have, oh so wonderful me walk out of his crummy life, then why didn’t come back begging for me to take him back?” she asked back.

“Because he’s better off without a ungrateful girlfriend like you! If anything whatever reason you had to leave him I‘m glad you did!”

“Well, now that I know he’s making something out of his life, he could provide me with what ever I want! And once he get his share of the family fortune, I can‘t imagine what he‘ll get me”

“I‘ll get you nothing…” Kyuhyun surprised Roxanne who stood frozen realizing that she just admitted her intensions. “To think I wanted you back in my life.”

Roxanne glared at the other before letting out a snarky smirk. “You think you’re life will be better without me?” she questioned.

“You’re full of yourself,” Henry stated. “Can’t you tell he’s a lot happier?”

“Yes I am, or should I say I was, now that I know what you were really after, please leave Roxanne, and you best pack your things from the my family’s company. I know you won’t be working another day there again.” Kyuhyun stated in a cold tone.

“Wait… what?! You can’t fire me!” she said rather angrily along with nervousness.

“I can and I did,” with that Kyuhyun turned and left her behind.

Her jaw dropped, “Wha… You can’t do that!” she yelled but was ignored.

“You can do that?” Henry questioned Kyuhyun rather confused but satisfied. “No, but I was tired of her trying to sound like the better person.”

Leeteuk was sitting at the register when Kyuhyun and Henry appeared from the back room. “Hey, How’s Wookie?” Henry asked the other.

“Better I hope. Mr. Lau is in there now, so I’m not to worried. Anyways lets get to work, Kyuhyun, Kang-In is in back can you help him take some things out of the oven?” Kyuhyun nodded then disappeared into the back leaving Henry and Leeteuk up front.

“What’s he going to do now? Don’t tell me he’s not going to go through with it…” the manager pouted.

~~()()()~~
The day passed by rather slowly and awkwardly, the frowns from both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, no one dared to questions either of them while in plain sight of each other.

Work days that pass were silent, and quite frankly, it was rather annoying. Kyuhyun sat in the lobby where he was trying to enjoy his lunch, but couldn’t since his mind and eyes were always on Ryeowook. “If you don’t want that, I’ll eat it!” Eunhyuk stated trying to lighten up the mood as he sat down along with Sunny and Shindong.

“You know,” Sunny began as she shoved Eunhyuk out of Kyuhyun’s face. “Staring and wondering won’t change things… it’s only making it worse…”

“She’s right! Just tell him it was a misunderstanding, then kiss and make up!” Shindong added. “And you better do it before it’s to late.”

Kyuhyun just turned and looked at Shindong, “Before it’s to late? What do you mean by that?”

“He means before Ryeowook leaves.” Kang-In sat down along with the others. “Kang-In!” the other three yelled in unison. “Now isn’t the right time to say that!” Eunhyuk fumed at his elder.

“Now is a better time then later, I overheard Ryeowook talking to Leeteuk and Mr. Lau, about his departure. Instead of leaving at the beginning of summer he’s leaving next month.” Kang-In boldly stated his gaze falling on Kyuhyun. “So if you want to make up with him, you better do it soon.”

“Leaving? For good?” Kyuhyun asked trying to still his heart from the sudden discovery. “No, he normally leaves to visit his family in Incheon over the summer, and comes back before school starts.”

“No, he means for good.” Kang-In stated rather coldly earning a surprised gaze from his fellow co-workers. “Wook isn’t coming back this time?” Sunny asked full of sorrow. “Nope, apparently the incident couple days back really hurt him.” he then looked at Kyuhyun. “I’m not saying it’s your fault Kyuhyun, but for him to leave and not come back, he must have really, really liked you.”

Kyuhyun couldn’t believe what he was hearing, “I have to go,” he stood from his spot and disappeared into the back. The others looked Kang-In’s with disapproving gazes, but he just smiled back.

“Wipe that smile off your face! How can you smile when Ryeowook isn’t planning on coming back?!” Eunhyuk out spoke rather loudly, only to be pulled down a hand clasped over his mouth. “I’m smiling because it’s not true.”

“Well, which part are you talking about?” Shindong asked as he took a sip of his drink.

“Yes, Ryeowook is leaving earlier than normal, but that’s only because his family is taking a vacation to somewhere in Europe, but he is coming back.” Kang-In started but was interrupted by another sudden question.

“So why did you just lie to Kyuhyun?!” Sunny asked in disbelief.

“So he’d do something about it.” Kang-In said with a full smile and walked back into the back room.

~**~**~**~
That night after closing up Kyuhyun watched as Henry and Ryeowook walked towards the parking lot, he couldn’t help but feel like running after the other to apologize, but decided against it, ‘No. If I’m going to make up for what happened I have to do it with all my heart and being!’ he motivated himself mentally.

Once at home he went through everything that he learned the first time he made Ryeowook a special treat, he worked long and hard sketching out designs and combining different flavors of cake and icing. After he made a final decision on his design and what kind of flavor he’d make this second special treat, he tucked the recipe in his wallet and climbed into bed with a smile on his face.