Step One

2 Cups of Sugar

“Kyuhyun, lets break up,” Kyuhyun turned his gaze away from the pond where they were feeding the ducks to look at his girlfriend Roxanne. She’s part of a student exchange program and came from America to study in Seoul for two years. Both she and Kyuhyun share the same business class, and she works in his father’s company as a part time intern.

“Break up? Why? Did I do something wrong?” he grabbed her hand but she pulled it away, “oh no, it’s just, not working out, so I want to break up, good bye Kyuhyun.” Without a last hug or even a kiss good bye she walked away leaving a heartbroken Kyuhyun in the park.

~**~
“I hate my life Henry, I don’t know what I did wrong, I must have done something wrong, why would she leave?” Kyuhyun’s face was flat on the table, he’s been drinking with his best friend Henry Lau and has been doing nothing but drinking and sulking since Roxanne left him that morning.

“Y’know, maybe it’s for the best, I mean she is an exchange student, what were you planning on doing when she went back to the states? And before you give me some bull cocky answer about finishing your studies there and you’re doing it for love and blah blah blah, remember your dad said he wants you to take the family business after you graduated, and need I remind you, which is in a few months as well,” Henry stated boldly. Even though Henry is younger than Kyuhyun he’s being far more logical than his elder is at the moment.

“Yeah, b-but she was perfect!” he groaned into the table, not noticing that his phone was ringing right next to him. “Yah, Kyuhyun, hey… Earth to Kyuhyun!” with out much effort Henry answered.

“Hello?”

“Henry? Where is Kyuhyun?” a deep voice on the other end could be heard, Henry sighed and looked at his semi-drunk friend, “He’s here… give me a sec.”

“Hey, mopey face, sounds like your dad is on the other line. I think you’d better answer before he sends someone after you.” he placed the phone next to Kyuhyun’s head. The elder boy turned and looked at his phone, “You said it’s my dad? Ugh, she must have told him.”

“Hello?” he answered with a little slur. “Yah! Are you drunk?! What’s gotten into you?! -Sigh- ok well, I guess I’ll have to wait till you’re sober enough to understand me.” Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow to his father’s banter on the other end, “I’m pretty sober to still understand you, so what‘s up, everything ok?”

His father cleared his throat before continuing, “Yes, everything is fine for me, but for you? Not so much. Come by the office once you’re well enough.”

-click-

“What your dad say?” Henry asked as he drank he drink. “He wants to meet with me,” Kyuhyun murmured into his hands.  He stood up and grabbed his coat. “I’ll see you later Henry, I’ll fill you in later.” he took out his keys and walked out the door, closing it behind him. By mistake he bumped into to someone who was walking by.

“I’m sorry, excuse me.” Kyuhyun apologized, the other just let out an soft ’it’s ok’ before opening the door to Henry’s house.

Kyuhyun made to his father’s company in one piece, he sighed out heavily before knocking on the CEO’s door. -Knock Knock- “The doors open Kyuhyun.” he heard his father respond. He pushed the door slowly and walked in, “You wanted to see me?”

His father beckoned him to come closer, “Kyuhyun you know that I’m planning to pass our family company onto you once you graduate from college, right?” Kyuhyun stayed silent and nodded. “Well, I figured that you need to learn how to manage things for yourself before I hand it over to you. So, starting today I, nor you mother will be paying for your schooling anymore. I want you to get a job and earn income. Fend for yourself.”

Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped slightly, “B-but I’ve never worked before!” his father just grinned “Exactly why I’m making you do this.”

“Don’t you think this is a little unfair?! I graduate at the end of the year!” he began to argue back. “Kyuhyun, it’s only the beginning of the year, you have plenty of time. Beside, you only have a few classes to complete so it shouldn’t be to hassling.” he explained to his stubborn son.

“Did Mom agree to this?” he asked, and his father only nodded, “Yes, in fact it was actually her idea in the first place.” he admitted. “Now, starting tomorrow you’re going out to look for a job, understood?” Kyuhyun couldn’t help but nodded before walking out frustrated, and to make his day far more worse, he ran into Roxanne on his way out.

“Oh, Kyuhyun, what are you doing here?” she asked seeming like nothing happened to them earlier today. He didn’t respond and just heaved out a heavy sigh walking away. Hoping it would affect her, it failed, she just continued her work.

Once he arrived at his car he called his best friend, “Hey Henry, I have a favor to ask of you… I need you to accompany me on job hunting tomorrow, I’d appreciate it if you could come.”

“Oh, wow really? Did your Dad cut you off or something? But yea, I’m up for it! I’ll see you tomorrow!” with that Henry hung up and all that echoed in Kyuhyun’s ear was the dial tone.

He entered his car and drove back to his apartment. “Ok, Kyuhyun, you can do this. Not only do you have to get your girlfriend back, but now you have to get a fawking job…” he murmured to himself pulling out of the parking lot.

That night Kyuhyun began pulling out his best clothes and typing his resume for his job searching tomorrow. Henry advised that he do that to impress the employers. “Alright, tomorrow is a big day for you Kyuhyun.” he spoke to himself looking in the mirror before climbing into bed. “Wish me luck!” he turned to his goldfish, in response just received two little bubbles. “You’re right, no pressure! Sleep well!”

~()~()~

The next morning Kyuhyun got up earlier than usual, took a nice hot shower, ate a decent breakfast, and got all fancy for the day. Right on time his phone went off with Henry’s name displayed on the screen. “Henry, good morning! Yes, I’m ready. See you soon.”

In a couple minutes Henry was at Kyuhyun’s apartment. “Hey, don’t you look all nice and fancy!” he teased his elder as they walked towards the younger’s car. Kyuhyun was about to open the passenger door when he saw someone already there.

“Oh, don’t him, that’s just my cousin, I’m taking him to work. Hope you don’t mind the detour.” Henry told his tall friend. “It’s alright I don’t mind.” he assured the other.

They drove to a small bakery called ‘Sweet Bee.’ and Henry stopped in front of the entrance. Kyuhyun who was in his own world was pulled out of his thought when the car door opened.

“Thanks Mochi! I’ll see you later tonight.” the other passenger looked over the chair at Kyuhyun, although Kyuhyun couldn’t see all his face, just seeing a pair of gentle brown eyes made him blush. “Good luck today!” he said in a sweet melodious voice, making the other blush more. “Thanks, you have a nice day too.”

Once the door shut the two drove off. All morning they went from business to business in hopes that someone would hire Kyuhyun. They were all impressed with his resume, but unfortunately, for Kyuhyun they were not hiring, or he wasn’t experienced enough.

Noon time came about and the two were still unsuccessful. “I never knew finding a job would be so hard…” Kyuhyun groaned laying his head flat on the table of the small fast food joint they stopped to eat at. “How did you get you’re job, please tell me that you had just as much trouble as me.” he asked Henry.

“Uhm… no, I work in a family ran business so I- wait! That’s it” he stood up abruptly, startling the other. “I’ll hook you up with a job at the bakery, the weather is getting warmer and Valentine’s Day, and all those other mushy ga ga holidays are coming up, so why not? I’m sure we could use the extra hand!”

Henry spoke so quickly that Kyuhyun almost didn’t catch all of what the other had said, “Henry… You. Are. A. Genius!” he told the other, “But you should make sure it’s alright with your family first, I wouldn‘t want to intrude or anything.”

“I’ll call my dad now, just give me a second!” Henry walked out into the parking lot, Kyuhyun just watched his best friend in the whole world talk animatedly on his phone. “Lets hope this works,” he mumbled to himself.

A few more minutes passed and Henry walked in all smiles. “Well, what did your dad say?” Kyuhyun asked the other anxiously. Henry’s grin just got wider, “He says… He’s fine with it!” he cheered happily, “C’mon, he’s on his break soon, so lets go meet him and talk out the details!”

Henry grabbed Kyuhyun and dashed out the door, he nearly threw the elder in the car before driving off heading back towards the bakery they were at this morning.

Once they arrived, Henry grabbed the other and ran inside. “Hey, where’s the fire Henry?” one of the workers asked teasingly.

“Where’s my dad, Leeteuk?” he asked the one who commented earlier.

Leeteuk looked at Henry with his angelic smile and pointed towards the back, “Before you go, aren’t you going to introduce your friend?” he asked the younger boy sweetly.

“Later, I really need to see my him.” he called over his shoulder disappearing into the kitchen.

“Henry! You lil brat watch were you’re going!” someone yell as he ran through the kitchen.

“Whatever!” he yelled back, which surprised Kyuhyun.

After running through the kitchen and passed many annoyed employees, they finally made it to the back of the bakery where Henry’s dad was sitting enjoying his lunch.

“I was beginning to wonder where you were. Now, who is this friend of yours that you wanted me to meet?” he asked his son as he sipped his tea.

“This is Cho Kyuhyun, he’s been cut off from his family and has to learn to fend for himself and what not if he wants to inherit his family business and all that good stuff.” Henry spoke quickly, in return earned raised eyebrows from both his dad and Kyuhyun.

“Henry, you need to slow down when it comes to talking about people’s lives, ok? Work on that…” his dad scolded his son. “Kyuhyun huh? I‘m one of the owner‘s of this bakery you may call me Mr. Lau” he looked straight onto the other’s face. He stood and walked around and inspected the boy.

“You don’t look like bakery material.” he mumbled as he walked around him again. “But who am I to judge, right Henry?” he turned his gaze towards his son. “Well, then, I normally don’t pull favors like this, especially for bratty little Henry, but are you willing to learn what it means to be a baker?” he asked.

Kyuhyun swallowed the lump in his throat before answering, “Y-yes sir.” the man turned around and went the opposite direction around Kyuhyun again.

“Are you willing to learn how to bake, decorate, and deliver sweet goodness to those who need it?” he asked.

Kyuhyun nodded. “Y-yes sir, I am.” he felt a semi-hard slap against his back. “Well, welcome to the Sweet Bee Bakery.” he smiled a wide smile at Kyuhyun who stared back in shock.

“You really mean it? I got the job, sir?” he asked nervousness in his voice.

Henry’s dad let out a joyous laugh. “Well, Henry said that you’re a hard worker and fast learner, so I’ll give you a try, don’t let me down!”

Kyuhyun bowed his head as a showing of thanks towards the other. “Now, Kyuhyun, you’re going to work as a baker. I’ll have Henry introduce you to the other bakers in the bakery, and I want you here at 8:00 sharp tomorrow. Any objections?”

“No sir, and thank you for giving me a chance!” Kyuhyun smiled shaking the owner’s hand. “I won’t let you down.” he said before leaving.

“C’mon let’s go meet the others!” Henry, once again grabbed Kyuhyun and dragged him out of the room into the kitchen once again.

‘Get a job consider accomplished! Now I just have to win Roxanne’s love back… ’ Kyuhyun thought to himself, and that’s when it came together in his mind, that he’ll work hard at this job, show his dad he’s responsible to own the family business, and learn to make delicious pastries to impress his ex, and hopefully win her back.