Step Eight

2 Cups of Sugar

The trip back home was a silent one, but Kyuhyun was smiling the whole way home, along with everyone else besides Ryeowook, but the other didn’t seem to notice anything out of the ordinary. Once back in the city they met up with Leeteuk and Kang-In at the bakery.

“Omo! You guys did it! Leeteuk cheered happily along with Mr. Lau, as for the others Henry pulled Ryeowook away from the crowd so Kyuhyun could privately converse with Eunhyuk and the others about his hopefully non-lame confession.

“Henry, where are you taking me?” Ryeowook pouted as Henry pushed him into his car and drove away. “We’re just going home, I just remembered that you have to work later with Shindong and Sungmin. So you should get ready,” he instructed.

“Hey now! You’re the younger one here you shouldn’t tell me what to do!” he scolded the other only to retrieve a laugh.

Back at the bakery, everyone from the trip, as well as Leeteuk, and Kang-In gathered around Kyuhyun, “So what’s the plan boss?” Tiffany asked full of endless smiles.

He cleared his throat hoping to get rid of the nervousness inside, “er… well, last night when I went back into the hotel room, it smelled like strawberries and crème, so it made me think of a sweet pastry, and Ryeowook likes sweets, especially strawberries right?” they all nodded. “A-anyways, I thought maybe I’ll make something for him, but I want to make it, and decorate it myself so it comes straight from me, I just need the supervision… in case…”

“Another Eunhyuk icing disaster happens,” Tea Yeon cut it, making them all laugh except for the teased Eunhyuk who grumbled.

“That… and I want to make sure it looks nice.” he continued, only this time to be cut off by loud squeals of delight.

“That’s sooooooooooooo sweet!“ Sungmin stated after his fit of squeals, “but where’s the confession in all this?” he asked. Kyuhyun waited for the overly joyful spazzing to stop before speaking, “I was hoping to roll up a message and place it inside the pastry, so when he eats it… he’ll find it inside… and hopefully it’ll turn out well.” he concluded crossing his fingers mentally, while the spazzing continued.

“Oh Kyuhyun! That’s so romantic! It’ll be like a fortune cookie!” Mr. Lau threw into the conversation. “Now, what are you going to make for our precious Wookie?” he asked full of curiosity, but he wasn’t the only one.

“I haven’t figured that out yet actually…” he mumbled, hearing this caused them all to dropped their heads and sigh out heavily. “Well, think of something!” Kang-In boldly stated, beside him Leeteuk handed a huge baking book to Kyuhyun. “Look in here, you’ll probably find something nice!” he told his young friend before walking back inside the small bakery.

Eunhyuk looked up and saw that Henry was coming back, he patted the other‘s shoulder, “Good luck, Kyuhyun. I hope he loves it!“ before he and  the others partied ways, some going home and some heading into the bakery.

Before the other pulled up, he stuffed the book into his bag, before Ryeowook stepped out of the car. “Oh, Kyuhyun, you’re still here?” he questioned the taller boy, with a sweet smile.

“Yeah, I stayed and chatted with Leeteuk about the competition. You have to work tonight?” he questioned the other trying not to be nervous. And Ryeowook responded with a nod and an’ mmhmm’.

“Well, don’t work to hard ok? I’ll see you around!” he told Ryeowook before walking towards his car. Ryeowook waved bye and walked into the bakery.

~()~()~
The next few passing work days, Kyuhyun would converse with the others and ask for ideas. “How about you make a petite cake!” Sunny suggested as she helped Kyuhyun with the dishes at the end of one night.

“How about you make him a huge heart pancake?!” Eunhyuk suggested another day as they were baking some cakes.

“How about a crème puff?” Yesung suggested as they helped customers at the front counter one morning.

That same day Henry sat with Kyuhyun during his lunch break. “Why don’t you make him a single cupcake?” he suggested to his friend. Kyuhyun sighed heavily and looked at Henry, “This seems a lot harder then I thought it would be.”  Henry patted his best friend’s shoulder and stood from his seat at the table they shared. “You’ll be fine, don’t worry.” Kyuhyun just gave his best friend a reassuring smile. “Thanks Henry.”

The days continued to pass by and Kyuhyun finally decided to go with Henry’s idea of making Ryeowook a special cupcake. They were at school when this decision was made. “But what are you going to make it with? Are you going to do the same cupcakes we did for the contest?” Henry questioned.

“Maybe, or something similar.” Kyuhyun sighed, “I’m sorry for making this difficult on everyone.” he apologized only to be lightly punched on the shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, now that you know what you’re going to do, when are you going to do it?” They sat down for lunch in a small café.
 
Kyuhyun sat and thought, “What about after we close if we work together?” he suggested. “Or I could do it vise versa, I could ask Ryeowook to meet me at the bakery early in the morning, then confess.” Kyuhyun suggested. Henry took a bite out of his meal and gave the elder a thumbs up. “Go for it. Lets do this on Friday, that‘s when Ryeowook will open next.” What the two didn’t seem to notice was that Roxanne was sitting at the table behind them. ‘Confess? To Ryeowook? Not if I can help it.”

Another week began to pass, and it was now Thursday night. Kyuhyun practiced every chance he had to make the perfect pastry treat for Ryeowook. Everyone helped here and there. The bakery was now closed and those who were there gathered around Kyuhyun.

“Tomorrow is that day Kyuhyun.” Yesung patted his back. “Omo! It looks so adorable!” Sungmin exclaimed pushing Yesung off to the side. “Yah! Sungmin!”

“Did you put the message inside already?” Shindong asked looking at the small cupcake. “Decorating practice does pay off!” Tiffany added.

“What did it say?” Sunny asked full of curiosity, batting her eyes at Kyuhyun.

“Now, now everyone, I’m sure when Ryeowook accepts, he’ll tell us all about it!” Leeteuk tried to calm everyone down. “But Teukkie! We want to know now!” Eunhyuk pouted towards the other trying to be all cute, only to be smacked by Kang-In, “Stop trying to be cute!”

“Ok, so we’ll await the results Kyuhyun!” Mr. Lau patted the other on the back with a hearty laugh.

He drove home and walked into his apartment full of smiles. He threw himself on top of his bed with a huge smile on his face. ‘I hope that Ryeowook will accept, I don’t know what I’ll do if he doesn’t…’ he whispered to himself.

He checked the clock it was still pretty early in the evening, taking out his phone he proceeded with part one of his plan.

~Ryeowook

~Can you meet me early before opening tomorrow?



~*~*~*~
Ryeowook was sitting on his bed browsing on his laptop, the chime of his phone broke his attention. He opened and a wide smile spread across his face.

~Sure thing Kyuhyun.

~See you tomorrow, Good Night! ^3^


That night they both smiled widely as they lay in their beds.


!~Next Day~!

Kyuhyun arrived an hour early and began preparing a small romantic atmosphere. He checked the clock and smiled. ‘He should be here soon.’ he thought. After he fixed himself up he awaited for the smaller boy’s arrival.

Ryeowook was walking the familiar street towards the bakery when he noticed an elderly woman having trouble getting something that was stuck in the brush. Checking his watch he noticed that he still had a bit of time. So, he approached he and offered her help. “Ma’am Is everything alright?” The elderly woman just smiled and told Ryeowook that her hat flew into the brush and that she couldn’t reach it.

“Will you be so kind as to help me?” she asked Ryeowook. He couldn’t turn her down so he accepted. “Oh why don’t you remove your sweater so you don’t get caught in it yourself?” the elder woman suggested.

“Oh, that would be a good idea.” he smiled at the suggested and slipped of his sweater and placed it on top of his belongings. From behind Ryeowook, a silhouette snuck passed and made its way towards the bakery.

The click of the door caught Kyuhyun’s attention, ‘He’s here!’ Kyuhyun smiled when the hooded figure walked towards him, before he could say anything a pair of soft lips were pressed against his, but something was amiss to the other. He parted when he heard his name was being called with such pain.

“K-Kyuhyun?!”