Step Two

2 Cups of Sugar


Henry dragged Kyuhyun into the kitchen and went towards the large area full of oven and large tables. “Dad said that you’re going to start off as a baker, so this is where you’re normally stationed if you‘re not upfront helping customers.” he pointed out to the area that was accompanied by two other people. “That guy right there.” he pointed to the slender frame that was pulling out fresh cupcakes from one of the ovens. “That’s Lee Sungmin, and over there,” he pointed towards the front where another slender framed man stood. “That’s Kim Jong-Woon, but he prefers to go by Yesung.” Henry continued to explain.

“And I’m Kim Young-woon” a mysterious voiced called out as two arms wrapped around the two boy’s necks, “but you can call me Kang-In.”

“Yah! Kang-In! You oaf! Get your arms off of us!” Henry complained only to be laughed at in return.

“So, what’s your name newbie?” Kang-In asked Kyuhyun.

“Cho Kyuhyun, it’s nice to meet you.” he held out his hand and Kang-In gladly shook it.

“Nice to meet you! Boss says that you’re going to be working along side me and those two,” he pointed over his shoulder at Yesung and Sungmin who were working twice as hard since Kang-In was to busy conversing.

“Yup, now excuse us, I need to introduce the rest of the crew.” Henry pulled Kyuhyun away before he could say bye to his new co-worker.

“Henry, why are we in such a rush?” Kyuhyun asked as they made their way to the other side of the kitchen.

“I just want to make sure you get to know everyone. I’m off tomorrow, so I won’t be here, and I don’t want you to mess this up for yourself!” he told his elder.

“Henry!~” a sweet voice sang. The two turned over and looked behind them to meet eyes with a pretty girl. “Who’s your friend?” she asked skipping merrily towards the two.

“Oh, Sunny, this is Kyuhyun, he’s going to start working here starting tomorrow,” Henry explained while Kyuhyun stayed quiet while his eyes just wondered the rest of the kitchen before his attention was brought back the other two.

“It’s nice to meet you Kyuhyun, I’m Lee Soon-Gyu, or you can just call me Sunny!” she smiled, giving a slight bow.

“Or Lazy!” called out another sweet feminine voice. “Yah! Tiffany that’s not funny!” the other whined back as another pretty girl appeared carrying a bowl of pink icing, and placing at the near by table. “well, it’s true! Even Tae Yeon says so!”

“Ignore her, that’s just Tiffany,” Sunny teased. The three conversed for a bit longer before Henry again dragged off Kyuhyun.

“Henry,” Kyuhyun called out to his overly excited friend.

“Yea?” he responded as they walked around the kitchen some more.

“What do you do?” he plainly asked the other, stopping him from his brisk walking.

“Oh! Well, I can do almost everything, ha ha! But if you’re talking position wise, I’m considered a pastry chef. Basically I’m in charge of making sure things go right. I work along side my cousin and two others, as well as Leeteuk, the manager.” he explained as he dragged Kyuhyun once more.

“Over there next to Yesung, that’s Shin Dong-hee, but he like being called Shindong. Come follow me.” he walked back to where they were once before talking with the two girls. “This is most of the crew but, this last person I‘m going to introduce you to is very important to me.” he placed a hand on the other’s person shoulders turning him to face Kyuhyun. “You two haven’t really met, and I can’t really call, taking him to work a proper intro for you two, but this is my cousin, Kim Ryeowook.” Ryeowook greeted Kyuhyun with a sweet smile and courteous bow.

Kyuhyun eyed Ryeowook like he was looking at a precious gem. ‘It’s really him, the very same Ryeowook from high school. I’m absolutely sure it is.’ he though to himself while Henry and Ryeowook talked to each other. ‘Hasn’t changed a bit, still slender, beautiful smile, silk like hair…’

Kyuhyun was still deep in thought when he was interrupted by Henry. “Hey, remember I told you that I’m off tomorrow, so I’m going to have Ryeowook teach everything to you. Hope you don’t mind. He already accepted so you can’t really say ‘no’.” Henry told Kyuhyun, and without argument Kyuhyun accepted.

Kyuhyun has had a crush on Ryeowook since high school, and he pretty much still does too, but he wouldn’t admit it. ‘No, no, no! Get your head straight Kyuhyun, Roxanne. Don’t forget about her!’

“Kyuhyun!” Henry caught the latter’s attention once again, “You’ve been spacing out since Ryeowook left, but you probably didn’t notice, you ok?”

“Yea, just thinking, bout some things….’ he mumbled as he followed his young friend to the entrance of the bakery.

Once in the other’s car, Kyuhyun finally spoke up, “you never told me you were related to Ryeowook.” Henry looked at him in confusion.

“Well, why does it matter? I didn’t think you needed to know.” Henry replied emotionlessly.

“I used to have a crush on Ryeowook, and before you go saying that it may be a different Ryeowook, Henry. Think about it, how common is a name like Ryeowook? Besides I recognize his smile anywhere.” Kyuhyun didn’t mean to state that last statement for the other to hear, but it was already to late to take it back.

“WAIT JUST A MINUTE!” Henry stepped on the brake causing the two to fly forward. “You have a crush on Ryeowook?! Since when?!” he asked in surprise.

“Since high school. I told you this remember?!” Kyuhyun yelled back.

Henry began to drive once he calmed his beating heart down. “I don’t recall you even telling me that you had a crush on Ryeowook. I remember you saying you liked some guy when we attended high school, but clearly never said Ryeowook.”

Once at home Kyuhyun looked into the mirror in his bathroom. “Ok, day one is tomorrow. Not only do I have to work hard and keep this job, but now I have to learn how to impress, Ryeo- er… I mean Roxanne!” He climbed into bed and turned out the lights. “I wonder, if Ryeowook’s still single… NO! Stop it! You don’t like Ryeowook anymore!” he groaned covering his face with his pillow and began to chant the name of the person he wanted most. “Roxanne, Roxanne, Rox…wook… Ryeowook… Rye…”

~*The Next Day*~

Kyuhyun drove to the bakery and 7:45 to ensure that he’d be there early. “Oh, you’re that new kid right? Henry never introduced us, I’m Park Jung-Su, but everyone called me Leeteuk. I’m you’re manager.”

Kyuhyun shook hands with the other and smiled, “it’s nice to meet you, I hope you will… take a liking to me?” he told Leeteuk uneasily, only to be rewarded with an angelic laugh.

“Hey! You better not be making moves on my Teuk!” looking over to the side he can see Kang-In stepping out of his car.

“Calm down big boy, I’m just formally introducing myself to him, since our little Henry seemed to forget about me.” he pouted to the other, Kang-In was about to lean forward when another voice spoke.

“Oh, Kyuhyun, you’re here already!” Ryeowook briskly walked towards the other. “How are you this morning?’ he gave Kyuhyun a small cup of coffee, “Drink up, I got it for you!”  Kyuhyun took a sip and said a soft thank you to the other.

Leeteuk opened the door and those who were there walked in. “Okay, so let’s see, today is Thursday, so specials to are… petite couple cakes! So we’ll need…” Leeteuk continued reading the list of cakes that they needed to make, and everyone but Kyuhyun started to get busy.

“Kyuhyun!” Leeteuk called, motioning for the younger to follow him and Ryeowook. “Since you’re new, Ryeowook will get you started on your first cake and run you through the process, it’s not that hard once you get the hang of it! Well, good luck!” he patted the latter’s shoulder before walking off in some random direction.

“Ok, so let’s get started,” Ryeowook announced happily, grabbing Kyuhyun’s wrist he pulled him to follow behind.

Taking out a huge bowl Kyuhyun began measuring the flour as the other instructed, and began to sift it through the sifter, as he had the butter softening  on the stove. He then took the eggs and cracked them into the bowl after adding the butter, sugar and baking powder.

“Alright then slowly pour it into the pan like so.” Ryeowook instructed, as he stood beside Kyuhyun his small hands overlay Kyuhyun’s to help him steady the pouring of the mixture. Feeling the sudden contact, from the other he could feel the blush rush up to his cheeks.

“O-ok, then what’s after that,” he asked as he tried to distract himself from the other. Ryeowook opened the oven and took the small pans, and placed them in.

“They have be taken out in exactly 45 minutes, so in the mean time, we make  more and just keep throwing them in the oven.” he instructed, and as Henry had said Kyuhyun is a fast learner, but even with baking from time to time things can’t be rushed.

While Kyuhyun made more batches of cakes, Ryeowook came back with a bowl of pre-made icing. “Ok so, Kang-in gave me this already cool one, so if the cake requires a mid center filling, you simply-” Ryeowook explained more details to Kyuhyun, “Any questions?”

“No, not yet.” he answered back as he began icing the cake on the small spin table with white icing the way Ryeowook taught him how. “But thank you, for all the advice Ryeowook.” The latter smiled at Kyuhyun and blush when he looked away, “Don’t mention it…” he whispered with a smile on his face. “Ok, now-” the other began to show Kyuhyun how to make icing roses.

“See, not so hard once you get used to it!” Ryeowook then handed the red icing bag to Kyuhyun, “you try.”

Taking the bag, Kyuhyun began to squeeze and the icing, more than needed, came out from the opening. “Oh, Kyu! Wait, squeeze a small portion from the bottom first, then from there squeeze at an angle.” Like before Ryeowook had his hands on Kyuhyun’s directing him where to go.

“Wow, I think, for now I’ll stick with just baking until I can find more time to practice.” he let out a soft chuckle as he wiped his hands clean, from his side he could hear soft laughter, looking over he can see a brightly lit smile on the others face.

“Did you see your flowers? They look sort of flat!” Ryeowook teased the other as he let out a small fit of giggles. Kyuhyun looked at the cake and he couldn’t help but laugh too. For his first few hours of working, it wasn’t so bad.