Step Six

2 Cups of Sugar

‘Oh, shoot, what do I say, what do I say?’ he thought, before throwing out an answer. “Yes!” Ryeowook just smiled and waited for the other to continue. “In high school there was this guy I found to be beautiful beyond anything. He was kind and sweet, but I only admire him from afar.”

“How come?” Ryeowook pressed on. Kyuhyun swallowed the lump that was forming in his throat. “Well, I was pretty shy in high school, not to mention he was very gorgeous.” Kyuhyun blushed at his own words rubbing the back of his neck. ‘And you still are…’ he whispered very softly so the other wouldn’t hear.

Ryeowook just smiled warmly as he watched the nervous boy act so… nervous like! It was then that the food arrived and their conversation ended there.

On the other side of the restaurant sat Kyuhyun‘s and Ryeowook‘s stalkers.. “This is why we can’t take you anywhere! Your big head gets in the way!” Tae Yeon angrily snarled at Eunhyuk.

“My head is not big! You might as well be luck that I‘m not big boned like Kang-In!” he shot back, “You’re just saying that because you’re a short midget compared to normal people!”

“Yah! Am not! Take that back!” she nearly yelled, “Will you both shut up!” Sungmin snarled at the two, “They’ll hear you!”

As Sungmin said, both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, as well as the other customers looked around the restaurant in search of the rowdy customers.

“Must be some old couple and their spoiled kids,” Kyuhyun told his dinner companion, and the couldn’t help but agree. “Hey, after dinner do you want to go walk around a bit? It’s still 19:00 ish, we don’t have to be back til 21:00, what do you say?”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Kyuhyun agreed with the other calling the waiter over to pay the bill. Within a few minutes the waiter placed the check on the table, and they both reached for it, their hands overlaying each other. At their actions they both blushed, and from a few tables down there was a high pitched squeal.

“Tiffany! Shh!” the other three shushed her, lowering their heads behind the menus to hide. “Sorry, it was just so cute!” she whispered.

“Yea we know but you have to be quiet!” Sungmin hissed at her earning a pout in return.

“Ahem,” the waiter disrupted the four, “not to be a bother but you’ve been looking at the menus for over an hour, and have yet to order anything,” the waiter stated in a rather annoyed tone. “Uhm, give us a few more minutes!” Tae Yeon pleaded, the waiter just rolled his eyes and walked away.

“I’ll pay, it’s alright Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook insisted trying to pick up the bill, but Kyuhyun wouldn’t let go, “No, I’ll pay, it’s alright! Please, allow me!” he tried pulling the bill, but Ryeowook wouldn’t let go either.

“Kyuhyun, I can pay for it!” Ryeowook pleaded, but Kyuhyun still wouldn’t let go. “Ryeowook, allow me. Think of it as pay back for the coffee.”

“Pay back? But I paid for my own!” Ryeowook answered back pouting, hoping that Kyuhyun would let go, but he didn’t budge one bit. Kyuhyun tried pulling it from under Ryeowook’s hands but still failed.

“Try calling him cute,” Eunhyuk whispered walking passed Kyuhyun, going unnoticed and unheard by Ryeowook. Kyuhyun looked over his shoulder to see where the voice came from but saw no one. Taking the mysterious voice’s advice, he gave the other his cheeky smile. “You know you’re pretty cute when you pout.”

Hearing Kyuhyun’s statement, Ryeowook  lifted his hands cupping his burning cheeks, the sudden release of the bill caused Kyuhyun to stumble backwards. “Th-thank you…”

The four who were sitting at the other table high five each other still hiding behind their menus. “Are you ready yet?” The waiter asked, glaring at them, “Oh, uhm, no, there was nothing we liked on the menus, sorry to take up your time.” Sungmin apologized.

On their walk, Ryeowook continued to replay Kyuhyun’s words in his head, which made him blush harder. “Ryeowook are you ok?” Kyuhyun asked the other full of concern. The other nodded shyly and hid his face behind his hands. “Kyu… did you really mean what you said before?” he questioned the taller boy. This time it was Kyuhyun’s turn to blush like crazy. “Y-yea, but I like it better when you have that beau- er… bright smile on instead.”

He cursed himself for almost calling the other beautiful, Kyuhyun wasn’t ready to reveal that he’s been in love with Ryeowook since high school. The rest of the night the two walk amongst the streets looking at all sorts of shops and variety of tourist attractions.

“Let’s get back to the hotel, it’s almost curfew time.”

Back at the hotel Sungmin and Eunhyuk greeted them walking out of the hotel game room. “Hey, guys how was dinner?” Sungmin asked with a huge grin, Eunhyuk gave them the same look.

“It was interesting,” Kyuhyun answered, before letting out a big yawn, “Anyways, I’m heading to bed.” he announced and began walking to the elevator, “I’m going to bed too, good night Sungmin, night Eunhyuk!” Ryeowook walked passed them and followed Kyuhyun. The other two just looked at each other with cheeky grins before making their way to their own room.

~*()*~
Friday passed by like it was nothing, the Sweet Bee bakers used that day as prep and practice for the upcoming challenge today. “Ok, remember to do your best. Win or lose, we will know that we did what we could!” Mr. Lau stated full of encouragement. “Now, let’s get out there and get it done!”

On stage there were four more bakeries competing and on the other were the other five, “Welcome, welcome!” the announcer started to greet the audience. In the back of the baking area where the competitors met, Kyuhyun scanned the audience and spotted his parents, Henry and much to his surprise Roxanne.

“Kyuhyun! Pay attention!” Tae Yeon flicked the back of his head, “Sorry, I was just checking to see if my parent were here.” he admitted before Eunhyuk continued.

“Ok, so it’s just like being back at the bakery, Kyu and Min will take care of the baking, the lovely ladies will take care of the decorating, myself and Wook will pitch in where we are needed, ok?” Eunhyuk asked the crowd, and they all gave and enthused response.

The announcer then presented each of the baking competitors to the audience. “Ok each bakery will have two hours to bake two dozen cupcakes to present to our judges. In 3, 2, 1! Start the clock!” With a sound of a bell, the bakers began to scramble around the staged  kitchen.

“Sungmin! I need two more eggs!”  Kyuhyun called out to other.

“Tae Yeon, I need the measuring cup!” Tiffany called to the other decorator.

“Ryeowook, whip that icing a little more.” Eunhyuk instructed.

The judges watched each group, jotting down notes on their note pads. Everyone was  working so hard it surprised them all hearing the announcer state that they had and hour and ten minutes left.

In the audience Henry and Kyuhyun’s parents cheered the Sweet Bee bakery on. What they didn’t’ notice was that Roxanne slipped away. She snuck her way into the back of the Sweet Bee bakery’s stage. She watched as Kyuhyun ran back and forth in the small kitchen.

She scanned the kitchen for a different target. Once she spotted her threat, she smiled a dark smile to herself. Since every one in the kitchen was busy, no one notice the small bottle of oil had gone missing. Taking a small cap full she awaited until Ryeowook passed by, and with such luck the other was carrying a tray of decorated cupcakes. Taking the small cap she filled it and spilt it on the floor right under Ryeowook’s feet. With her work finished she quietly slipped away.

Ryeowook stepped in the oil and sent him flying right into Kyuhyun’s back, dropping the cupcakes in the chocolate ganache icing. “Oh my gosh, Kyuhyun I’m sorry!” Ryeowook apologized pushing his self off of Kyuhyun.

“Sorry? Don’t be! Are you ok? What happened?” Kyuhyun asked the other, with Eunhyuk coming up behind to check up on Ryeowook as well. “Wookie are you ok? I saw you slip and fumble atop of Kyuhyun.”

“Oh it looks like the Sweet Bee Bakery is encountering some trouble, with only 50 mins left on the clock.” the announcer alerted the audience. “Trouble? what’s going on?” Kyuhyun’s mother asked worriedly.

“Nothing too bad I hope.” Henry told the two elders. “I’ll go check it out.”  he left his seat and that’s when he noticed Roxanne coming back. “Where were you?” he glared at the other.

“Ladies room,” she simply answered, hiding her mischievous smirk.

Back in kitchen Ryeowook brushed the others off with a cheerful smile. “I’m ok really, let’s finish up,” he dusted himself off and went to wash his hands. Tae Yeon looked in the chocolate icing and noticed the cupcakes were covered.

“I think we may have a slight problem!” she called to the other bakers, “Half of our batch is covered in the chocolate icing.”

“ What are we going to do? We don’t have enough time to make another dozen!” Sungmin asked Ryeowook and Eunhyuk who began to pull out the cupcakes from the icing bowl.

Kyuhyun watched as his fellow co-workers pull the cupcakes out, and that’s when it clicked, “Wait! Let’s do this.” taking one of the cupcakes he peeled the paper off and set it aside. Taking the long tongs he dipped the whole cupcake in chocolate, and replaced it on the paper.

The others just looked at him and gave him an approving smile, “Ok, so Eunhyuk, you and Wookie start dipping, Kyuhyun you begin peeling, ladies get creative!” Sungmin ordered.

Following their new instructions, they managed to complete their new cupcake recipe before the time ended. “Ok bakers, and stop!” the announcer stated. Everyone placed their things down and prepared a sample plate for the judges. “Good work everyone.” Ryeowook gave a sweet smile to everyone.

As they waited for the judges to make their announcement Kyuhyun looked over at Ryeowook who was talking with Sungmin, letting out a big sigh he walked over to the other. Seeing Kyuhyun make his way towards them, Sungmin excused himself to go and talk with Henry and Mr. Lau who accompanied them on stage.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Kyuhyun asked worriedly, Ryeowook just gave the latter his best smile trying hard not to wince in pain as he tried hard not to sway his body so much. “I’m alright how about yourself?”

“I’m ok,” he whispered softly. Subconsciously brushing away the other’s bangs from his eyes. “You know, that was pretty quick thinking with the chocolate icing and the cupcakes.” He complimented the taller boy.

As they chatted between themselves the rest of the crew minus Henry, watched in ‘aw’. “It’s like watching a drama!” Mr. Lau whispered to his employees. “Omo! You’re right, this is usually the part where it gets all fluffy and romantic.” the girls squealed in delight.

Henry wasn’t convinced that their lady friend was so innocent. He recalled during the time she was missing he could’ve sworn he saw shadows in the background, but what he needed was evidence. “I know you were back here…” he whispered to himself before being called by his dad.

“They’re about to announce the top five!” Mr. Lau called out to his son, as well as the two who were stuck in their own world.

“Alright alright! Now for 5th place, we have the lovely all female team Cooky Cooky, 4th we have Orange Caramel, 3rd…” everyone was holding their breath. “is Marshmellow IU, 2nd… Chocolate Love! And for our first place… we have…” the whole stage was silent… “We have Sweet Bee in first!”

Hearing that they placed first, everyone cheered in joy, “We did it, we did it!” Sungmin cheered hugging Tiffany and Eunhyuk, Tae Yeon cheered and jumped in a happy circle with Mr. Lau. Ryeowook was so happy with their victory that he did the unthinkable, after hugging cheering with Kyuhyun, he cupped the other’s cheeks and pecked him in the lips.