Step Four

2 Cups of Sugar

After closing up the bakery for the day, both Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were left to clean up. Ryeowook washed dishes while Kyuhyun swept and mopped. Minute passed and Ryeowook placed the last set of equipment in it’s rightful place, while Kyuhyun finished up mopping.

“What a day, right?” Kyuhyun asked the other as he placed his cleaning supplies back into the right places.

“Ya, I know what you mean, but if you think today was harsh, just wait until Valentine’s Day comes around.” the smaller of the two stated as he locked the bakery door once they were both out. “It gets so busy, even Mr. Lau comes out to help.”

Kyuhyun just let out a soft chuckle at his fellow co worker’s comment. He then looked at the time, which read 20:13. “I’ll see you later Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook turned around to begin walking down the side walk.

Kyuhyun again watched as the other slowly began to disappear, but something inside allowed him to speak up, calling out to the other. “Ryeowook! Wait!”

Hearing his name being called the turned to face Kyuhyun. “What’s the matter? Did I forget some thing?” He recalled the earlier conversation of asking Ryeowook to coffee or something where they can do to spend time together, but at the same time he was also worried about Ryeowook walking home this late at night.

“Kyuhyun, are you ok?” Ryeowook asked as he made his way closer towards the other. ‘Ok, this it Kyuhyun!’ Kyuhyun thought to himself. “R-Ryeowook, would you like a coffee to ride, er… I mean would you like out of the coffee ride, no, no, I mean…” the taller boy was so nervous that his words in his thoughts were jumbling up.

Ryeowook tried to silence his giggling by covering him mouth as Kyuhyun tried to find the right thing to say, but with barely any success Kyuhyun was still at a lost for words.

“I’d love to have coffee with you Kyuhyun, and if you’re not in a hurry or anything, then yes, you may take me home.” he told the other after he calmed himself down. Kyuhyun’s eyes widened, “Really? Wh-when? For coffee, I mean. When would like to go?” he nervously asked the other.

Ryeowook kept his gaze down after seeing the other’s cute surprised expression, trying to hide the blush that crept up his cheeks, “W-well I’m free Tuesday, if you’re free, Kyuhyun.” he stated twiddling his fingers.

“Ok, then. Tuesday is fine, we can go after I get out of class. Anyways, c’mon. I’ll drive you home.” Kyuhyun told the other opening the passenger door for Ryeowook. “T-thanks.”

Kyuhyun drove to Henry’s place and dropped  Ryeowook off in front, “I’ll see you Tuesday then… Later!” As the latter drove off Ryeowook waved good bye to the other, until he was far down the street.

~**~
“Why so happy?” Henry teased the other as he stood by the door. “Oh, I have my reasons.” Ryeowook answered cutely and all Henry could was just smile at his cousin‘s actions, “What ever you say Wookie!” he called out walking back inside, Ryeowook following behind.

“You know, I heard from certain sources that you’ve been eyeing a certain someone.” Henry confronted the other, making Ryeowook blush nervously. “What do you mean, Henry?” he asked trying to sound innocent.

“Heh, you can’t hide it from me! I know you’re crushing on Kyuhyun! Everyone says so even my dad says so!” he continued his confrontation on his loving cousin.

“I do not! We’re just good friends!” Ryeowook tried defending himself. “Just friends? You want something more. I know you do!” Henry teased his cousin before being attacked by flying pillows.

~()()~
Kyuhyun made it home in one piece. “So I guess I have a ‘date’ with Ryeowook, no it’s not a ‘date’ it’s just a uhm… I don’t know what to call it, but it’s not a date!” he scolded his innocent gold fish who just swam in circles.

 After switching to pajamas, he opened his closet, “What should I wear? I have two days to figure this out, nothing to fancy, but nothing to causal! Ah!” he groaned in frustration as he dug in deeper.

“I guess I’ll just have to ask around tomorrow at work!” he said determinedly. And so he did, the next day Ryeowook wasn’t working so he took this opportunity to ask his fellow co-workers what he should do.

“Yesung,” Kyuhyun whispered to the other as he placed the strawberry shortcakes in the display case for the day.

“What is it Kyuhyun, something the matter?” he asked as Kyuhyun was cutting the pastry for the shortcakes in halves. “You see, I have this get together with a friend and I don’t know how to present myself, formal or casual…” he admits, he felt foolish for asking for advice, it’s not he hasn’t been on tons of dates when he was with Roxanne, but for some reason he felt that being with Ryeowook was special so he had to make it special.

“Go casual!” Kang-In butted in as he pulled more pastries out of the oven, “He’s right, if you go to formal whom ever it is you’re trying to impress, *Cough*Ryeo*cough*wook* will think you’re trying to hard.” Eunhyuk added as he counted the inventory.

“You know if you’re just ‘hanging out’” Sunny air quoted before topping the off some parfaits. “then it shouldn’t be anything to special, unless you’re thinking of making that person *Cough*Ryeo*cough*wook* special.” she winked at Kyuhyun.

“So who do you have a date with?” Kang-In asked wrapping an arm over the latter’s shoulder. Kyuhyun tensed a bit at the word ‘date’, “It’s not a ‘date’, we’re just hanging out… so it’s not a ‘date’! who said anything about it being a ‘date’? he spoke nervously before taking the other tray of pastries upfront.

The other four leaned in together and gave each other cheeky smirks, “it’s so a ‘date’.” the said in unison, only to earn a ‘No it’s not!’ coming from the front, making the four laugh.

~^^~^^~
Tuesday arrived and Kyuhyun just finished class, he released a heavy sigh as he walked out of the class room. What he didn’t expect was to bump into old faces.

“Oh hey Kyu!” Roxanne called out toward the other, “You look all nice and fancy, what are you up to today?”

Kyuhyun totally forgot about his amazing plan to impress Roxanne, now that Ryeowook has made a reappearance in his life, “Oh Hey, I’m just going out to meet with a friend, so I don’t want to be late see you around.

As Kyuhyun hurriedly walked down the hallway Roxanne felt uneasy knowing that she wasn’t wanted any more by the other.

~***~
Before stepping out of his car he made sure one last time that he looked 100% good. From the safety of his car he could easily see Ryeowook waiting inside. ‘Ok, Kyuhyun, no pressure, it’s just friendly get together, not a ‘date’.’ he stepped out of his car, and went to the entrance.

Spotting Ryeowook he took a seat across from the other. He eyed Ryeowook, who was dressed to impress as well. “Did I keep you waiting long?” Kyuhyun asked the other. Ryeowook just shook his head, “No not to long, anyways I already ordered my drink, so you can go ahead and order yours.”

Kyuhyun did just that as soon as he figured it out. Drink in hand he returned to the table where Ryeowook sat, and they continued to sit in the awkward silence until someone broke the ice.

“It‘s a nice day did you want to go walk for a bit?” Kyuhyun suggested. Ryeowook liked the sound of that idea and followed Kyuhyun out of the café. The two walked along the river, side by side talking about whatever came to mind. They shared childhood tales and some secrets, they laughed together and teased each like they were close friends.

They continued walking along the river this time over stepping stones, and rocks. “Be careful it can be slippery.” Kyuhyun warned the other but of coarse life is so good to the two the Ryeowook actually lost balance and almost fell backwards into the cold water but was caught but a strong arm wrapped around his waist pulling him up so that  their faces were inches away from one another.

Kyuhyun pulled away as he  scolded the other with a light tint of pink on his cheeks. “Aish, I told you be careful. But you‘re not hurt so it‘s alright…”  Kyuhyun helped the other stand up straight before progressing forward.

Kyuhyun grabbed one of Ryeowook’s hands as they continued. Ryeowook’s heart began to beat faster and Kyuhyun could feel it in between their linked hands, so Kyuhyun came up with what he thought was the best excuse he could come up with. “it’s so I know if you’re about to slip again.” he said nervously,  in all honesty he just wanted to hold the other’s hand.

Across the other side of the river were some peepers. “Yah, Get down Kang-In I can’t see!” Sunny whined.

“Eunhyuk move over!” Sungmin and Yesung pushed him aside.

Henry climbed over Kang-In’s shoulders, “I’m his cousin so I get front row seats!” he exclaimed.

Back on the opposite side Kyuhyun still held on to Ryeowook’s hand even when they were done walking over the slippery rocks. “We should probably head back now, huh?” Kyuhyun suggested, and Ryeowook agreed.

“We should do this more often,” Ryeowook suggested as they stood by Kyuhyun‘s car. “er… I mean, it just doesn’t have to be us, the others could join too.” he tried to cover up his embarrassment.

“Yea, we should,” Kyuhyun smiled at the other. They stared at each other and with really noticing they were inching forwards but was interrupted when both their phones went off with a new message from Leeteuk.

~The Next morning~
The next day all the employees gathered at the bakery for an important meeting that Leeteuk called.

“What’s the meeting about? Shindong asked as the rest of the workers settled in.

“Well, I have an announcement to make,” Leeteuk started, “Every one here, besides Kyuhyun is familiar with the Big City Baking contest right? Well it just so happens that we were asked to compete. And we’ve accepted.”