Step Five

2 Cups of Sugar

“What‘s this years item? Last year we made that strawberry pie.” Sungmin asked their sweet treat manager.

“Uhm, I don’t know yet actually, Mr. Lau is going through all the paper work as we speak.” Leeteuk stated.

There were many endless questions as the awaited for the owner to come back from his office. A few more minutes passed and the elder man came out, “Ok, this year is cupcakes, which mean we‘ll have to take our famous traditional strawberry recipe and play with it a until we figure something out.” Mr. Lau announced before those working today began working. He pulled Leeteuk aside into the back of the kitchen before speaking to the other. “Now as for who is going, I’m taking Eunhyuk, Ryeowook, Sungmin, Tae Yeon, Tiffany, and Kyuhyun.”

“Kyuhyun? Really?” Leeteuk questioned his superior.

“Well, Henry insisted that I take Kyuhyun, and neither Yesung nor Kang-In mind.” he explained before walking back into the office. “Trust me Leeteuk, it’s not a bad choice. Anyways the contest is next weekend, They’ve already made hotel arrangements in Pusan where the contest takes place. So let those individuals know all the details.” he instructed Leeteuk.

~()()~
When it was time for lunch, Leeteuk made sure he had his contest crew all at the same time. “Ok, so everyone here? Good! So Mr. Lau has informed me that he’ll be taking you selected few and Sungmin who isn’t here with us today, to the baking contest next weekend, which means we have about a week to prepare something marvelously mouth watering with our simple strawberry recipe. Any suggestions?”

“Well, the traditional recipe calls for strawberry batter, so why don’t we use a yellow cake or white instead, then in the middle stick a strawberry. It’ll be a sweet surprise!” Tiffany suggested.

“Then we can we can top it off with a butter cream frosting and place a luscious strawberry in the middle. Eunhyuk suggested.

“A whole strawberry might be to much at one time since there will be a strawberry in the middle, why don’t you  top it off with slice strawberries?” Ryeowook added.

“Good, good, these are all great ideas, now, lets make it happen!” Leeteuk exclaimed happily jumping off his chair making his way back to the front, while the five resumed their lunch until it was time to start work again. They entered the kitchen and began making their cupcakes to test their ideas.

After a good hour or so they made half a batch that they presented to Leeteuk and Mr. Lau. “Leeteuk, this is what we came up with,” Kyuhyun handed them each a cupcake, “Don’t mind the decorating, we’ll make it look better when the contest day comes.”

The two guinea pigs took a bite and were surprised when the strawberry burst catching them off guard, Leeteuk should’ve expected it but it was a sensational taste.

“These are wonderful. Good job everyone! Keep practicing and I’m sure we’ll place top five again this year.” Mr. Lau announced happily while still in his strawberry heaven.

“Alright, help close up then you can go.” Leeteuk instructed as he finished up his work as well, while munching on the cupcake happily.

~()()~
The next morning Kyuhyun paid his dad a visit. “Oh, Kyuhyun I wasn’t expecting to see you today, how’s work?” he asked not taking his eyes off his paper work.

“It’s fine dad, I just wanted to tell you that I’ll be heading to Pusan this up coming weekend for a baking contest that I’m participating in. If you and mom aren’t busy you should come by and watch.” Kyuhyun invited, with a sliver of hope that he’ll say yes.

“Of coarse we’ll come Kyuhyun, just let me move all of my Saturday schedules to next week, and I’ll inform your mother as well.” he smiled at his son.

“Great, I should be getting the contest tickets sometime this week, anyways that’s all I wanted to ask you, see you later dad, don’t work to hard.” he bowed and left his dad’s office, again running into Roxanne on his way out.

“Hey Kyu~” she greeted in a sing-song tone. “What have you been up to?” she smiled at him eyeing his actions slowly.

“Not much, just work and school, how bout yourself? I don’t see you on campus as much anymore,” he asked his ex-lover. “Oh, just work and school too, I’ve been around, maybe you’re just to distracted with other things nowadays, or so it seems.” she responded back hiding the annoyance in her own voice.

“Maybe, I do have that paper due on Thurs.” Kyuhyun mumbled, “anyways, I have to get to work now, I’ll see you around Rox.” he bid her good bye and walked out. Seeing Kyuhyun walk out full of smiles caused the young lady to ball her hands into fist.

~**~
The next few days were stressful on the six competitors. “Ok, tomorrow is the night we leave. We’ve been making sensational batches of our hopefully winning cupcakes, that I have no doubt that we’ll place top five, maybe even first. So when we step off of that plane tomorrow, Remember to bring your game face, and have fun too!” Mr. Lau encouraged them.

“Now, lets go home, pack up and get some well deserve rest,” Leeteuk announced after his boss. The six all agreed and made their way out. “OH, before I forget, we’ll be meeting here and be taking one car to the airport so, try not to be late!” Mr. Lau announced as he entered into his car, Ryeowook slipping in the passenger seat.

“Hey, before we get to the hotel we’re staying at, let’s set up who’ll share a room with who!” Sungmin announced, “Of coarse the girls will room together, and then that just leave You,” he pointed at Kyuhyun, “Eunhyuk, and Ryeowook.” Before Kyuhyun could offer to share a room with someone other than Ryeowook, Eunhyuk interrupted.

“I see Kyuhyun all day, so I wouldn‘t want to share a room with him, no offense!” he told the other before continuing, “And besides, you said that we can room together since we couldn’t do it last year! Do you how much of a pain it was to share a room with Kang-In! I mean he‘s not going but still!” Sungmin just smiled and agreed to Eunhyuk’s terms.

“That leaves me with Ryeowook,” he said nervously, and the two nodded. “Yup, I hope that’s alright.” Sungmin gave him an innocent smile, “Not to mention the two of you are pretty close, right? So why not?” he added.

Kyuhyun just nodded, “Ok, so it’s settled!” Sungmin chirped happily before walking off, “See you guys tomorrow.” Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun just stood there watching Sungmin skip away. “No hard feelings, ok? I’m sure Ryeowook would be more than happy to share a room with you!” he teased, but Kyuhyun didn’t catch it,

!**!
The next morning Kyuhyun rushed to the school and turned in the assignments that he needed to turn in before meeting the rest of the his fellow co-workers at the bakery. “Hurry up Kyuhyun or we’ll leave without you!” Tiffany called out giggling afterwards.

“Wait up!” he ran a bit faster and caught up with the rest, sliding into the van that will take them to the airport. Once there they awaited for their flight.

“Kyuhyun,” a deep voice called out, everyone turned their gaze towards the voice. There stood a tall man and a small young lady. “Dad, Roxanne. what are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asked in confusion. “We came to wish you and your company a safe trip.” his father stated. Henry who was also there to wish them a safe trip stole a glance at Roxanne, who happened to be glaring eyes at Kyuhyun. “Have a safe trip Kyuhyunnie.” she said behind a false smile as they began to walk to the loading area of the plane.

“Henry are you ok?” Mr. Cho asked his son’s best friend. He simply nodded and told that other not to worry.

-~In Pusan~-
They made it safely to their destination. As a group they made their way to the hotel. “Ok, so let’s decide who will room with-” being cut short of his speech Sungmin stepped in. “We’ve already determined that sir.” He said giving Mr. Lau his sweetest smile.

“Oh, well if that’s the case here are your room keys, Stay out of trouble, and be in bed by 21:00.  We have one more day before the contest, so rest up and take care of each other.”

“We understand!” they said in unison before heading off to their rooms.

“I hope you don’t mind us sharing a room, Ryeowook. Eunhyuk and Sungmin kind of forced it upon us to share.” he apologetically told his roommate. On the other hand Ryeowook just blushed, “it’s ok, I don’t mind.”

“I’m going to change into something more comfortable, afterwards do you want to have dinner with me?” Kyuhyun asked before closing the bathroom door. Giving Kyuhyun his best smile he accepted, “Yes, I guess I’ll change too.” Together they went into the lobby and together they exited the hotel. What they failed to notice was that they were being followed.

They found a restaurant just a little ways from the hotel they were staying at. “I tried inviting Eunhyuk and Sungmin, but they said that they already ate.” Kyuhyun stated hiding his happy smile behind his menu.

“I tried doing the same with Tiffany and Tae Yeon, but they were already out when I contacted them.” Ryeowook said in a false disappointed tone. “I guess it’s just us huh? Hope you don’t mind.” Ryeowook whispered to Kyuhyun.

“No, it’s alright, uhm… are you ready to order?” After they ordered the two converse with light conversation as they waited for their food. “Are you nervous for being part of the baking crew for the contest?” Ryeowook asked trying his hardest not to stare at the other, he knew once he looks it‘ll be impossible to look away.

“Kind of, it’ll be the first thing that I physically compete in,” Kyuhyun chuckled softly. “What about you? Are you nervous?” Ryeowook just shook his head and even though he wanted to fight the urge to look at the other, he turn his gaze and looked at Kyuhyun‘s handsome features, before answering. “Not really, I’ve been to many contest before so I’m used to it.” he smiled brightly at the other. “What did you mean by your first time ‘physically’ competing?” he innocently asked.

Kyuhyun blushed before answering, “Uhm… I like gaming, so when I compete it’s all online. Kind of lame right? Now that I think about it, all through my high school years, I’ve never tried to be on a sports team…. I just hid in the computer room and kept to myself.” he stated nervously, hoping that Ryeowook wouldn’t recognize him from their high school days.

Ryeowook giggled a bit at how nervous Kyuhyun‘s answer, “You remind me of someone I went to high school with. He was always in the computer room, but he was also very handsome, I kind of had a crush on him, but I never had the guts to talk to him.” he commented. “I don’t even know his real name, everyone called him ‘GameKyu.’”

Upon hearing Ryeowook state his gaming name caused Kyuhyun to choke on the water he was drinking. “Are you ok?” Ryeowook leaned over and patted his back to sooth the coughing. “I- I’m fine, sorry bout that. Do you still like that guy?” he asked catching his breath.

Ryeowook just shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know, I really can’t say since I haven’t seen him in a long time, I don’t know if he’s still in Korea to be honest.” he said hiding a smile. “What about you? Do you have any past crushes?”