Step Three

2 Cups of Sugar

“Kyuhyun, you can go on your lunch break now!” Leeteuk called after the afternoon rush subsided.

Finishing the cake batter he was mixing he wrapped it in plastic wrap and placed it in the refrigerator. He heaved a great big sigh. “Who knew that working in a bakery would be hassling.” he spoke to himself, not really speaking towards anyone as he sat out at one of the tables in the lobby.

“It’s always like that when you first start out.” someone said, as they sat next to Kyuhyun on his right side.

“You should’ve seen me when I started, huge messes everywhere.” another said sitting on the other side of Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun didn’t mind the company, he just didn’t recognize either of them. “I don’t believe we’ve met,” he turned to his right, “I’m Cho Kyuhyun.” he introduced.

The other wiped before speaking. “Nice to meet you too! I’m Kim Tae Yeon, Tiffany and Sunny were telling my all about you. How do you like it so far?” she asked.

“It’s not to bad, but I clearly say that decorating isn’t my strong point.” he chuckled softly.

“Don’t worry about it, decorating takes practice, if you were working a few months back, you should have seen how messy the back room was when Sunny tried teaching Eunhyuk how to write on a cake.” she giggled while telling her story, earning a glare from the other who sat on Kyuhyun’s left.

“Well, little miss perfect! I’ll have you know that it’s not that easy! It’s hard to squeeze and move your arms at the same time!” he complained to the other before looking at Kyuhyun, “I’m Lee Hyuk-Jae, you can call me Eunhyuk, Henry was telling me that you’re the new baker.”

“Yah, does everyone start off as a baker? Just curious cuz Henry told me that both he and Ryeowook were pastry chefs or something and that girls are the main decorators.”

“Yup that’s how it works,” the three turn their attention to the newcomer. “Hey, there, my name is Lee Sungmin, but just Sungmin is fine!” he smiled before he continued. “As I was saying, most start off as bakers, since there are many task that we do, and if you’re exceptionally skilled in one area, then your position changes, but just because your position changes doesn’t make you better than the other, our skills are just different.” he explained. “So it’s pretty much a test, I stayed a baker cuz I enjoy conversing with the customers, unlike Yesung, who normally stays back and bakes.”

“Sungmin is right, you’re title just changes depending on your skills.” Tea Yeon complimented the other who smiled back.

“And what about Leeteuk? Is he just the manager, or does he bake too?” Kyuhyun was curious to know more about the other staff members.

Eunhyuk began to answer Kyuhyun’s question, “Leeteuk is manager cuz he has amazing leadership skills. When I first started way back when, I remember that Henry cut himself deep while cutting some strawberries, so his dad had to take him to the emergency room to get stitches, so it was just me, Teuk and some older employees, but it got so busy that the manager at the time did nothing but whine and complain all the time, and never did anything to help, so he kicked her out and started giving orders and actually helped us. So when Mr. Lau and Henry got back, the customers complimented us and our amazing customer service during the rush, but a lot of the comments were about Leeteuk and how he managed the situation. I’m glad he did what he did.” Eunhyuk smiled as he finished.

“So what’s your story Kyuhyun? Why are you here?” Sungmin asked as he sipped his drink.

Kyuhyun swallowed the food he had in his mouth and thought before answering the other’s question. ‘Well, there’s no reason to lie, I mean it’s not like they’ll judge me for it right?’

“Well,” he started. “My dad kind of cut me off from the family income. He wants me to learn responsibility and how to manage an actual job before I can inherit the family business, and… uhm… there’s another reason, I just don’t remember what it was… actually.”

The others just stared at Kyuhyun in silence, “Really? Wow, you’re dad must be pretty strict.” Eunhyuk stated finishing his meal.

“That’s why your name sounds so familiar! You’re family owns the Cho Industries.” Tae Yeon stated full of confidence.

The small group conversed more until their lunch break was over. “Well, I have to get back now,” Kyuhyun stood up and bid the others farewell before walking back into the kitchen. The rest of the day went by smoothly, every now and then Ryeowook would stop by and see how Kyuhyun was doing and every time he did, his heart would beat at a fast pace.

18:00 hit and it was time to head home. “How was your first day Kyuhyun?” Ryeowook asked as they packed their things. “Not to bad, I think I could get used to the job. Again thank you, Ryeowook.”

“Don’t mention Kyuhyun, well, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Ryeowook waved bye and started walking down the street. Kyuhyun watched as the other disappeared. His thoughts were interrupted with the ringing of his phone.

“Kyuhyun, it‘s you‘re father, how are you doing?” a voice spoke on the other end.

“Hey dad, I’m doing fine, just actually got off of work.” he spoke into his phone a huge grin on his face.

“You got a job? That didn’t take you to long, I’m proud of you. Anyways your mother and I wanted to see if you’d like to join us for dinner.” his father proposed.

Kyuhyun thought about the offer but decided against it, “I’m sorry dad, but I have school work to work on, maybe next time, give my regards to mom. Anyways I’m going to start driving now, bye.” Kyuhyun hung up his phone and slipped into his car. “Good day, Kyuhyun. Now tomorrow will be better!”

~**~
Ryeowook was greeted by Henry once he got home. “Hey Henry,” he greeted as he took his shoes off at the entrance.

“Hey, How was work? Did Kyuhyun have trouble with anything?” Henry asked concerned for his best friend.

Ryeowook just smiled at Henry and shook his head, “No, not really, he pretty much has everything down, even Leeteuk said that he’s pleased with Kyuhyun and his hard work.” he stated.

Henry released the deep breath he was holding in, “Well, that’s good, I’m glad.”

“What so happy?” Ryeowook questioned while in his room, changing into more comfortable house clothing.

The other laughed and just patted his elder’s back, “Just glad that he’s getting the hang of things.”

Ryeowook was suspicious of Henry’s behavior but didn’t push the other to answer any further, he just went into the kitchen and began making dinner.

~**~
It’s been a few weeks since Kyuhyun started working at the bakery. Every now and then Ryeowook would check on how Kyuhyun was doing with all the new recipes, and much to his surprise Kyuhyun was having no trouble at all in remembering or preparing them.

“He’s a fast learned,” Ryeowook stated as he decorated the strawberry mousse that were today’s special. Shindong just responded with a ‘mmhmm’ as they continued decorating.

Every once in awhile Ryeowook would sneak a glance at Kyuhyun who laughed and smile while he worked with Kang-In and Yesung, and he couldn’t help but blush upon hearing the deep voice. Apparently Shindong and even Sungmin who happened to be passing by caught Ryeowook who was in a day dreaming state while watching Kyuhyun.

“You don’t have to be so shy, ya know?” Sungmin whispered to the other as he nudged his side, pushing forward. “He’s a nice guy, you should ask him to coffee or something. What do you have to lose?” he suggested in a teasing voice.

Ryeowook blushed at the suggestions and turned his gaze from Kyuhyun away. “You’ve taking a liking to him haven’t you?” Shindong began to as well, which made him blush more.

“W-what are you talking about?! I have not.” Ryeowook tried to defend himself, but both Shindong and Sungmin laughed at his failed attempt.

Kyuhyun looked up from his work turning to look at Ryeowook who was being teased by his fellow co-workers. “Ask him to get coffee or something,” Yesung suggested in a quiet whisper to Kyuhyun.

“W-what? Why?” he asked surprised trying to cover up the nervousness in his voice, turning his attention to Yesung.

“Well, why not?” Tiffany asked as she took a place by Kyuhyun and began to decorate some cupcakes. “It’s obvious that you’ve taken a liking to our little Ryeowook.”

“H-have not!” he tried to defend himself, but like Ryeowook failed to convince the others.

“Don’t try and hide it.” Leeteuk said joining in the conversation. “I’ve been watching the two of you for the past three weeks since you’ve started here Kyuhyun, and all the two of you have been doing if it’s not talking in person is stealing small glances at each other whenever one of you is near by.”

Kyuhyun blushed even more now that he’s been found out by none other than their manager, he looked over to where Ryeowook was standing, as if he couldn’t gat any more redder, their gazes met. Ryeowook waved a tiny ‘hello’ to the other, and Kyuhyun waved back before they both turned away, embarrassed, while both their co-workers they were working with at the moment began to tease them.