Waltz's End

To the Place Beyond the Universe

 

 


 

Music playing.
 

  Sincerity was all we had back then. For a while, we became one of the stars which understood the true meaning of love. There was no idealism; no thoughts and we didn’t stop to doubt. Like how the stars volunteered to fall from where they belong, burning and glowing as they became nothing but stardust, we for once had love without fear.

  As we danced through the lonely space back then, you confessed that the only regret you had was your incapability of keeping me by your side. I didn’t answer you back then, I was afraid that tears would fall. I did thankful for the moon for it hid my obscure eyes. And when the waltz was over, the time for us to bid a quasi farewell would come. So before I started to wait for the universe to play the waltz for us once again, inwardly I answered your dejected confession.

  “It’s not your fault.”

  We repeated without losing its meaning. Dancing and waiting, loving and believing. We for once had become love itself. Till one day, you took me to peep on Earth, the place of mundane which somehow looked happier than the emptiness of the space.

 

  “It’s okay. I’ll be responsible of you. I won’t leave you behind anymore. We would be happy.”

  “I’m afraid I’ll become nothing but a burden.”

  “I just want you to be happy”

 

  And so both of us dashed ourselves in fire and pain for the sake of what we believed would become happiness. We were waltzing in misery toward beatitude.

  As we fell, piercing the layers on our way to our new home, we filled the space between our fingers with each other’s and we hugged and we kissed. We were falling in happiness as we believed we would be infinite in our new home.

  The layers, the skies, the air, the horizon, the ocean, all were beautiful, all were blessing. One step closer to home, and there, still as naïve as we first loved, we hit the solid rock of ground. The music stopped and we could only hear the sound of our shattered bones.

  We destroyed what could have been our home with our own bones and ashes-turned love as the waltz ended.