1: Unbearable Pressure [NEW VERSION]

The Seoul Getaway
Please log in to read the full chapter

ANGELA

 

“Congratulations, my princess!” My dad greeted me as soon as I have emerged out of the auditorium.

 

“Thanks Daddy!” I said as I gave him a hug. “These are for you!

 

I handed him over my latin honor medal and diploma.

 

After 4 years in college, I finally earned my Bachelor’s Degree! Whoopee! I majored in Entrepreneurship with a minor in Fashion Design.

 

I had always loved fashion. Someday, I wish to have my own boutique and assist people with their styling needs. However, my whole family wasn’t that supportive of the idea.

 

“I’m so proud of you, Angela, and I always will be.” Dad said as he planted a kiss on my forehead. “I’m sure your Mom would be too. “He added as he pointed his finger up in the sky.

 

My mom passed away when I was young due to leukemia. I think I was only 7 years old at the time, and since then I had always been under my father’s care. Hence making me a Daddy’s Girl.

 

“Yea, I’m sure she is. I miss her.” I said, sounding a bit nostalgic. “I just wish Angkong would be proud of me too.”

 

Remember when I said my whole family wasn’t really supportive of me in launching a fashion career? Well, my grandfather, who prefers to be addressed as, Angkong, was the most unsupportive of them all.

 

I guess I could say that we’re a very traditional (and not to mention rigid) Filipino-Chinese family, even if I only have like ¼ of the Chinese blood in me.

 

Coming from a family of well-esteemed businessmen, I was expected to follow their footsteps in managing our company, R&G Holding Corporation, which was already nearing it’s 50th year mark.

 

Since my father was the eldest (and most favorite as per my nosy aunts and uncles) among his children, Angkong had high expectations. And being the only child of my father, I had to deal with those expectations, and ensure that I would reach them.

 

Which was why no matter how much I wanted to go to Paris, Milan or New York to pursue further studies in fashion, I had to be stuck here and start learning in managing the business. BO-RING.

 

I decided to do it though for my father, and so as to please my grandfather so he would be fonder of his “troublemaker” grandchild.

 

“He will be, okay?  Your Angkong just seems like a tough case to crack but he is proud of you. And I’m pretty sure he will be thrilled to know that you will start your training at the company soon!” My father said with encouragement.

 

Although I knew my father was just saying that to make me feel better.

 

I got nicknamed with “troublemaker” after getting myself involved with some celebrity gossips and scandals. I loved going to big parties and events and it was inevitable for me to cross paths with some celebrities and well-known public figures. Sure, everyone said that I was living the dream life but at the same time, I wasn’t exactly the public’s favorite girl too. So whenever they said bad things about me, it would affect the image of the whole Go clan, then they would reprimand me for my actions… Even if I wasn’t even doing anything anymore.

 

If my father was my grandfather’s favorite son, then the opposite goes for me. I wasn’t exactly his favorite granddaughter. Apart from the public issues that I got involved with, I was guessing because my father chose to marry a non-Chinese woman. My mother was full-blooded Filipino by birth but she had mestiza features. They all said that I was her carbon copy, particularly her doe-shaped eyes and pointy nose.

 

It was a mystery how my grandfather did not disown my father for his choice. Daddy told me that it wasn’t an easy fight but they managed to convince Angkong eventually, and that it was all worth fighting for in the end.

 

And hadn’t they fought for each other, then I wouldn’t even be existing right now.

 

Maybe Angkong did not really hate my mother that much. Maybe it was just really me.

 

“Ready for the family dinner?” My father asked, breaking me out of my deep thoughts, as we started walking towards our car.

 

I nodded my head at him with a small smile.

 

Anyway, this was supposed to be my day. I shouldn’t be getting too worked out because of that.

 

***

 

Okay, so maybe this wasn’t exactly my day after all.

 

The family dinner was a whole ing mess! Good thing it was over but now I had to deal with this uprising argument with my father.

 

“Angela, what the hell was that article all about? I thought we already told you to clearly cut ties with that Tristan!” My father was fuming mad as he paced back and forth in front of me who was sitting awkwardly on the couch.

 

 Apparently, my -wipe cousin, Hanson, just had to tell everyone about the latest news article about my dating scandal with Tristan Hidalgo, the current trending leading man of this season in the Philippine showbiz. He just really had to pick such an impeccable timing to drop the bomb. UGH!

 

Tristan frequently attended parties and big shot bars at The Global City where we usually met, and because of that we have gotten pretty close to one another.

 

But not everyone was happy with that closeness we have, particularly his fans. Speculations arose that we were a couple after Tristan posted a photo of us having fun at a party. His arm was linked around my neck, as if he was pulling me closer to him while my head lay on his shoulder.

 

We denied the issue and insisted that we were really only close friends. I didn’t really understand why they had to put malice into that.

 

That issue happened just 2 months ago, and now it resurfaced a

Please log in to read the full chapter